The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday March 13th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

3 hours ago, dfish said:

I have an appointment with the endocrinologist this morning to determine what we are going to do with my adrenal mass.  The surgeon said they are going back and forth on when to intervene with high cortisol levels, but I think mine were high enough to warrant removal.  I'll report back on that tomorrow.  

Best of luck with your appointment 🙏 

3 hours ago, dfish said:

@0106 Tina, I have read from others that it is better to do the trip from Santiago around to Buenos Aires.  That way the Chilean glaciers are more exciting because you see them before Antarctica.  If you go to Antarctica first, they seem to pale a bit.  Who knows about the Drake.  The Drake will be the Drake.  When I went before we did from Buenos Aires to Santiago.  It was one of the best cruises I've been on.  

I agree it is best to go from from Santiago to Buenos Aires @0106 If you can, spend a couple days pre and post cruise in both cities.  They are gorgeous and worthy of some time to spend 👍 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

I'm going to have to pop in and back out quickly, running late this morning.  Last night I was awake from 3 am until after 5 am. 😞 When I finally got back to sleep I slept until 9!!  Unheard of for me, but glad I did.  Now I'm rushing to leave for a lunch get together with my BFF.

Will catch up on all the posts later today, I hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 20

20 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

Here is Mitzi's birthday cake from yesterday - 

20230312_164447.thumb.jpg.6a4b0dc5eb55d9e8ee7a5deac3df1a90.jpg

It was delicious!

I think I gained a pound just looking at it!  Yum!

3 minutes ago, dfish said:

Well, we have a definite plan moving forward.  Test results and size of the tumor qualify it for surgery, so that is where we are going.  Finally!

Very good news!  Is surgery still the 22nd?

• Like 15

Well, over an hour at the passport office but my paperwork and pictures were ok so it has gone in for printing, should have it by registered mail by March 27. We’ll see how they do. I don’t need it until august for a Detroit airport pickup and drop my old one is cancelled so no crossing the border until I get the new one. I can use it for picture ID in Canada but nothing else. Nice to have it out of the way and there really was nothing else to do today since it is snowing again.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I've never worn ear muffs. I'm not a hat person either; I always have a hood on winter coats. I like jewels and wear my birthstone ring often; but I've sold a lot of jewelry since there's no one to pass it on to and I wasn't wearing it. Let's all be smart and sexy! I like the quote. I like the meal, pass on the drink and wine.

I have been to Dunedin on my first HAL cruise. I was on a road trip when this was the port last October, so I'll have to dig up pictures.

It's chilly here and lightly snowing, but the roads are ok. I woke up a bit early, posted the Care List, then went back to sleep for 2 more hours. Tonight we're supposed to get about 1" of snow. I should be fine to go to the viewing this afternoon.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting up the FR/Daily today. Great photos from Dunedin.

@richwmn We all appreciate you preparing the FR/Daily so we could continue while you cruise.

@grapau27 Happy Birthday to Pauline! And that's a lovely photo of her.

@ottahand7 Sorry to hear that you couldn't go on your tour, and that the Chefs Table dinner didn't live up to expectations. 

@rafinmd I think we all feel a bit lazy with the time change. Thanks for the photos from Dunedin and with @erewhon.

@0106 My Antarctic cruise was from Santiago to Buenos Aires. My favorite cruise of all time! And thanks for the rest of the quote.

@RMLincoln So sorry to hear about testing positive for Covid and the impact on DH's upcoming surgery. Prayers that you have mild cases and will be able to reschedule soon. It worries me for my upcoming cruise that you guys wore masks and still got it.

@RedneckBob Love the rhyme!

@kazu Nice to see you posting. I thought of you when I heard about the Nor' Easter. I pray the challenges gets easier soon.

@ktbraun I hope the Cardiology appointment is able to help your issues. 

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. I hope you get some satisfaction when you visit the Endocrinologist.  

@smitty34877 Prayers that this aide works out for Tana and the family. And I hope the weather doesn't affect you going to your appointment tomorrow.

@cunnorl Nice pictures.

@superoma Sorry to hear DD and family are down with Covid; prayers for mild cases and quick recovery.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast for the Celebration List.

Everyone take care of yourselves.

Thanks JazzyV. For you more mature folks the rhyme was a play on words from the 1992 hit by Right Said Fred, “I’m to Sexy”. It was a big back then!

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, dfish said:

Well, we have a definite plan moving forward.  Test results and size of the tumor qualify it for surgery, so that is where we are going.  Finally!

I am relieved that you will finally have this taken care of. It certainly  took a very long time.

• Like 12

Good afternoon from a very windy central Texas.  It's still sunny ☀️ and 57F.

3 hours ago, superoma said:

Woke up late this morning, 9:30, to more snow. Enough even if it is pretty. Headed to the passport office to put my renewal application in. Promised turnaround is 29 days. We’ll see. I don’t need it until fall so trying to stay ahead of the game. Where did those ten years go! 

happy birthday to Pauline @grapau27. Prayers for those that need them and will celebrate later with those celebrating. Sorry to hear about Covid rearing it’s head and messing with surgeries. One DD and her family are down too. They think DSIL caught it on his recent business trip to LA but who knows.

Eva, I'm sorry your DD and her family have Covid.  I hope they all have mild cases and are well soon.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Some photos from Dunedin in 2006

Aproaching Dunedin

340-ApproachingDunedin.thumb.JPG.81625c7db77125e119c3bfd0e0d9bc03.JPG

Port of Otago and docking

341-PortofOtago.thumb.JPG.3f3f5e9867dc1046991fe93b9e2ea383.JPG

345-DockinginDunedin.thumb.JPG.1b4373050afb06423f82ef1becc7581d.JPG

St. Paul's Cathedral in the Octagon

347-St.PaulsCathedralintheOctagonDunedinNZ.thumb.JPG.c3774a01ec299eed1a515edb51784981.JPG

The Municipal Chambers

349-TheMunicipalChambersintheOctagon.thumb.JPG.13ee8055ae049fb3476d9c9b053eae79.JPG

Robert Burns Statue

350-RobertBurnsStatueStPaulsCathedral.thumb.JPG.cac46d83d8b19a3e5fc3ceb7a0939478.JPG

Dunedin Railway Station

354-DunedinRailwayStation.thumb.JPG.a8dd3fcff8d1270eea400f2858fc7993.JPG

Courthouse

356-DunedinCourthouse.thumb.JPG.155a992f8ac64e9fd9a816054df532a3.JPG

Dunedin First Church

357-DunedinFirstChurch.thumb.JPG.a35a41e082869a73d52b7cdc2de2467d.JPG

Cadbury World

360-DunedinCadburyWorld.thumb.JPG.d54da38a6ad69a8582a076e3923eea94.JPG

362.thumb.JPG.9303d13dc4d0137c579c21dabcc09a76.JPG

363-DisplayatCadburyWorld.thumb.JPG.a55348fc1685509c894ccd124f87edd4.JPG

364-Candy.thumb.JPG.fde336deaf3625f9ae33f202b2dd5a5d.JPG

Vanessa, I enjoyed seeing your pictures of today's port.  Thank you.

57 minutes ago, dfish said:

Debbie, that is good news you can now have the tumor removed.  Will that be done at the same time your have the other surgery?

43 minutes ago, superoma said:

Well, over an hour at the passport office but my paperwork and pictures were ok so it has gone in for printing, should have it by registered mail by March 27. We’ll see how they do. I don’t need it until august for a Detroit airport pickup and drop my old one is cancelled so no crossing the border until I get the new one. I can use it for picture ID in Canada but nothing else. Nice to have it out of the way and there really was nothing else to do today since it is snowing again.

Eva, glad you got the passport application submitted.  Hope the new one arrives soon.

37 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks JazzyV. For you more mature folks the rhyme was a play on words from the 1992 hit by Right Said Fred, “I’m to Sexy”. It was a big back then!

RNB, I remember that song too, and recognized where you got your inspiration.  Maybe, I'm not that mature after all.  🤣

Lenda

• Like 17

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Some photos from Dunedin in 2006

Aproaching Dunedin

340-ApproachingDunedin.thumb.JPG.81625c7db77125e119c3bfd0e0d9bc03.JPG

Port of Otago and docking

341-PortofOtago.thumb.JPG.3f3f5e9867dc1046991fe93b9e2ea383.JPG

345-DockinginDunedin.thumb.JPG.1b4373050afb06423f82ef1becc7581d.JPG

St. Paul's Cathedral in the Octagon

347-St.PaulsCathedralintheOctagonDunedinNZ.thumb.JPG.c3774a01ec299eed1a515edb51784981.JPG

The Municipal Chambers

349-TheMunicipalChambersintheOctagon.thumb.JPG.13ee8055ae049fb3476d9c9b053eae79.JPG

Robert Burns Statue

350-RobertBurnsStatueStPaulsCathedral.thumb.JPG.cac46d83d8b19a3e5fc3ceb7a0939478.JPG

Dunedin Railway Station

354-DunedinRailwayStation.thumb.JPG.a8dd3fcff8d1270eea400f2858fc7993.JPG

Courthouse

356-DunedinCourthouse.thumb.JPG.155a992f8ac64e9fd9a816054df532a3.JPG

Dunedin First Church

357-DunedinFirstChurch.thumb.JPG.a35a41e082869a73d52b7cdc2de2467d.JPG

Cadbury World

360-DunedinCadburyWorld.thumb.JPG.d54da38a6ad69a8582a076e3923eea94.JPG

362.thumb.JPG.9303d13dc4d0137c579c21dabcc09a76.JPG

363-DisplayatCadburyWorld.thumb.JPG.a55348fc1685509c894ccd124f87edd4.JPG

364-Candy.thumb.JPG.fde336deaf3625f9ae33f202b2dd5a5d.JPG

Thanks for the picture of the Cadbury Factory. I did a tour there way back in 2003. No free samples ! 🥲 

Read that the plant had closed down!  Not only have I visited Dunedin NZ but also worked in Dunedin, Florida.

• Like 12

0106 — I agree with the others that the South America/Antarctic Cruise is on of the best!  I did it from Chile to Argentina.  If you do it, please consider adding a post-cruise at Iquazu Falls.  I still get 

chills when I think of those falls.  They are outstanding!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon,

It is another frustrating day working on my sons estate.  I have a judges order that I am administrator and can act on his behalf. I went to sell his car and the dealership said I had to go get it registered in my name first. When I previously went to the DMV  they said all I have to do is sign the title. The dealership said  there was no signature or notary on the administrator paperwork. Luckily I had friend who is a paralegal with me who said all judges orders are electronically signed now and judges don’t need to be notarized because they supersede any other paperwork.  I left things with them to figure it out. I will await their call. If my friend wasn’t with me I am sure I would have been in tears. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 15

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Very good news!  Is surgery still the 22nd?

The 22nd is for the parathyroid glands because they are causing me to have too much calcium.  

I have to wait and hear from the surgeon's office on the adrenal mass.  It will be the same surgeon. 

28 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, that is good news you can now have the tumor removed.  Will that be done at the same time your have the other surgery?

I doubt it.  Last year they said they couldn't do the two at the same time because one required me to be on my back and the other on my side.  

16 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

0106 — I agree with the others that the South America/Antarctic Cruise is on of the best!  I did it from Chile to Argentina.  If you do it, please consider adding a post-cruise at Iquazu Falls.  I still get 

We are discussing this very thing.  As I told my sister and cruising buddy, we aren't going back anytime soon, so may as well make the most of it.  

14 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good afternoon,

It is another frustrating day working on my sons estate.  I have a judges order that I am administrator and can act on his behalf. I went to sell his car and the dealership said I had to go get it registered in my name first. When I previously went to the DMV  they said all I have to do is sign the title. The dealership said  there was no signature or notary on the administrator paperwork. Luckily I had friend who is a paralegal with me who said all judges orders are electronically signed now and judges don’t need to be notarized because they supersede any other paperwork.  I left things with them to figure it out. I will await their call. If my friend wasn’t with me I am sure I would have been in tears. 

Thank goodness for your friend.  Why do they have to make everything so hard?

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all! Enjoying all the Dunedin photos, thanks everyone!  Hope to visit some day!   Still love jewels and I have three granddaughters….
Happy birthday Pauline!  A very busy month, our granddaughter’s was yesterday,  mine’s tomorrow.  
@RMLincolnsorry to hear it is Covid, hope you get well soon and the medical issues resolve. 
@dfish great news! 

E95518EF-11B8-4C17-B34B-CA9822AD7631.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

I remember our guide telling us about the time Elenor Roosevelt visited the falls. Her first words were “poor Niagara!”

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon from a very windy central Texas.  It's still sunny ☀️ and 57F.

Eva, I'm sorry your DD and her family have Covid.  I hope they all have mild cases and are well soon.

Vanessa, I enjoyed seeing your pictures of today's port.  Thank you.

Eva, glad you got the passport application submitted.  Hope the new one arrives soon.

RNB, I remember that song too, and recognized where you got your inspiration.  Maybe, I'm not that mature after all.  🤣

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, dfish said:

The 22nd is for the parathyroid glands because they are causing me to have too much calcium.  

I have to wait and hear from the surgeon's office on the adrenal mass.  It will be the same surgeon. 

I doubt it.  Last year they said they couldn't do the two at the same time because one required me to be on my back and the other on my side.  

We are discussing this very thing.  As I told my sister and cruising buddy, we aren't going back anytime soon, so may as well make the most of it.  

Thank goodness for your friend.  Why do they have to make everything so hard?

Debbie, that's great that you're getting the adrenal mass taken care of.  I bet that will be a big relief.

We're also talking about going to the falls -- not sure about the Yellow Fever shot requirement.  Last time down there, we needed one.

A "splurge" excursion we did was a flight to Torres del Paine National Park out of Punta Arenas.  It was a great day that really got you out in Patagonia.  We saw all the local animals and had a very nice scenic lunch.  Very glad we did that one. 

Maxine

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Good afternoon,

Having just recently sold a car  I didn't need, I suggest you contact ALGO, (algonation.com) Carvana, give your vin, etc.     The rates you get to buy your car are well more than what the dealerships give you and they pick the car up from you with no hassle at all.  We used ALGO and received almost 7,000.00 more than the dealer offered.

Happy Birthday to Pauline.  And Happy belated birthday to others who just celebrated.

I hope everyone stays safe in the newest storm to hit and keeps their power.

@RMLincolnSorry to hear about Covid - I hope it is a quick case with no lasting effects and that you schedule your husbands surgery soon.  

Debbie: Glad the doctors finally agreed to do the surgery you have been wanting.

We did Antarctica on a small expedition ship so no ideas on which way to go though I can say that the Drake can either be a lake (what we had on the way to Antarctica) or a nightmare (what we had coming back).  I would make sure you take some motion sickness medications that work for you and take them before you hit the Drake passage. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Part 2

Speight Brewery, Dunedin

368-SpeightBreweryDunedin.thumb.JPG.f39baca1d90dd1e9d00695919c7566e5.JPG

370-Copperkettlesinbrewery.thumb.JPG.c4cad3e4375c92e3d3f0b1f9ae7ce23c.JPG

Taste testing

373-Tastetestingatthebrewery.thumb.JPG.4e38e2835b70d73c01277eeda67d56a4.JPG

Pipers coming to give us a sendoff

376-Piperscomingtogiveusasendoff.thumb.JPG.1ca92ed6b7454fe48d814683fad279aa.JPG

378.thumb.JPG.e911975f22d34654708c3003782b5829.JPG

Wood chips on the dock

382-WoodchipsonDunedindock.thumb.JPG.d59eca80df8fae41cc0af7992f09e51c.JPG

Port Chalmers Flagstaff Point

383-PortChalmersFlagstaffPoint.thumb.JPG.7c88d711ef95b4fc71ef5120cb46aa53.JPG

Scenery as we leave

390.thumb.JPG.471b6a8c0c8978768e316c9dcd24d099.JPG

Flowers in bloom

392.thumb.JPG.222810ceca771f4aafa58888e8469781.JPG

Otago Peninsula, Dunedin

Head Gun fortifications

394-OtagoPeninsulaTaiaroaHeadGunFortifications.thumb.JPG.16f1ea727b7391aa78852315829fe6a8.JPG

Royal Albatross Centre

396.thumb.JPG.d2255a9559d9fd7c063922fbb8b5c5fd.JPG

396a-OtagoPeninsulaTaiaroaHeadRareAlbatross.thumb.JPG.51cf2736a6cbe108837504906a07b5ec.JPG

399.thumb.JPG.371cd73f9d5cb5b56fe233d57f4693b6.JPG

Thank you and nice photos Vanessa.

• Like 7