The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday March 25th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good morning. It’s 72 degrees overcast and rain most likely on its way. Much better then those poor folks in Mississippi where I just saw the death toll is up to twenty-three after storm caused a hundred mile swath of destruction.

It was a good morning of sleeping in after staying up late watching a movie.

Don’t have anything planned for the day but probably need a trip to the grocery store.

Thanks for the report and prayers for all the tornado victims and their families.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.3a13dd24a3e2d4387459757eb1088019.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.66148b39fffde036ff2ad5018a3fd48b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b08c30c9774c54c2edf76b82cbbf5d11.jpegimage.jpeg.56f0466ca25c27d2966e353bfd76f761.jpegimage.jpeg.fa5ffe00c038cd57ceffc05b982c42f4.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 18

8 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Question if you cancel a cruise prior to final payment do you get all your money back?  A friend just got hospitalized with a brain injury and can’t go on their cruise in November. 

Yes I had to do this for my cruise I had booked for this July.  I got all my money back but I had a refundable deposit.  I know others who didn't have a refundable. deposit but asked to transfer it to another cruise and it was allowed but I am not sure if HAL would do that now.   

I hope everyone is doing better today with their surgeries.  I am sorry to hear that so many are having medical issues.  

Thank you all for keeping up this daily.  Though I don't post much it is a pleasure to read.

• Like 26

Good morning everyone.  We have cold temperatures and off and on driving rain.   We are home for the day and my goal is to stow everything from our trip and start working through filing mail that came in our absence.   Perhaps I can get to my photos too.   

Sandi thanks for starting us out each day with the Fleet and Daily reports.   @0106 thank you for filling in for Debbie so we can get our food inspiration each day.   @summer slope today's drink looks a bit too sweet but @cat shepard thanks for researching the obscure wines that show up rather frequently.     Vanessa thank you for keeping the Care and Celebration reports for us.   Prayers for all needing them, the people in Mississippi who were affected by the tornadoes and for the people of Ukraine.   John just came in and said there is a tornado watch for Dothan, Alabama which is one of the cities we usually stay on our drives to FL.   Have a wonderful Saturday!  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.  

@summer slope Yes, they should get all their money back.

We had a lovely time at the butterflies yesterday.   There were so many more than we saw the previous time we were there.   

IMG_2174.thumb.jpg.c5e4f3de0d3215858ad25dad630624cf.jpg

River was very interested but a little hesitant to hold the butterfly.  

Resized_20230324_142310.thumb.jpeg.6740bf467aeecf77a8b65fbb30752b6e.jpeg

This one perched on my finger for quite some time.  It matched the color on the handle of my cane!

Farkle Friday was a good time for all.  We really enjoyed the Feta Tomato pasta dish.  Some people were caught getting into it for a midnight snack.  Today we are going to the planetarium for a program about the planets.  It is a story about a family from outer space that comes to the Milky Way for vacation and how they choose the planet they want to visit.  Perfect for a 6 year old.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Question if you cancel a cruise prior to final payment do you get all your money back?  A friend just got hospitalized with a brain injury and can’t go on their cruise in November. 

How awful!  And after living with someone who has had a brain injury they will need an advocate to  help getting as much back as possible.  Do you know if they had trip insurance?  I am hoping that all turns out well for them.  I want to know the answer too.

• Like 18

26 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@marshhawk @summer slope Coquito is Puerto Rican “punch”  served during the Christmas/holiday season.  It is very similar to egg nog and can be made without adding alcohol. I love coconut and like it much better than egg nog.

Thank you for filling in for Debbie. Great job. I too can’t believe that the 3 year anniversary is coming up. So many people dedicated to keep this going and such a great place to come every day.

we have rain today but it will stay above freezing here so no ice. Also predicting high winds later. Supposed to be a nice day tomorrow and some snow on Monday. Time for winter to move on. I am so over it and we haven’t really had a bad winter this year. I feel for those of you that had lots of snow and deep cold.

DD (recent Covid) is feeling better every day. On Monday DSIL and dd escape to the sun for a few days so that should help. Thanks to everyone for your good wishes and to  Vanessa for having her on the cares list.

prayers for those that need them and a celebratory shout out to those celebrating.

• Like 25

Good morning. It’s a cloudy and cold day with rain later on. Have some errands to run later on.

Yesterday was a little bittersweet because a local family restaurant had announced the closing date due to the owner retiring., we went for lunch. The new owners are going to be closed for about 3 weeks. On the good news front, my favorite ice cream stand announced they are opening today for the season .

On another sad note, a local company RM Palmer candy plant had a massive fire and explosion yesterday afternoon, the building was destroyed and sadly there is loss of life. At this time, 5 are dead with 6 still missing and at least 8 injured. I have friends that work for the company in a different location. Prayers are needed as the search continues. 
I hope everyone has a good day. ❤️🙏

• Like 8
  • Thanks 17

13 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

How awful!  And after living with someone who has had a brain injury they will need an advocate to  help getting as much back as possible.  Do you know if they had trip insurance?  I am hoping that all turns out well for them.  I want to know the answer too.

Before final payment there would not be an issue except if there was a non refundable deposit. Are you still before final payment for your Alaska trip? If so, you should be able to get your money back if you need to cancel.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Dixie, Ann, and Debbie/Tina.  I have not been to Sandnessjoen.  I'm not really familiar with the Feast (Thanks, Graham) and enjoy but rarely have pecans.  I love the quote but since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the meal.  Carol, good luck with the eye drops.  I'll pass on my usual alternative for the day.  My revised alternative is a freshly made Lido waffle with mixed berry topping as served on MS Eurodam November 15, 2022

waffle.jpg

While it looks small it is quite thick and substantial.

Where’s the waffle ?

• Like 4

Good morning  everyone. Rain coming here with temperatures  in the forties. I love waffles and pecans and have not been to the port. @dfish, love the pictures and had to laugh as we also had someone coming back for more feta tomato pasta around 11 last night.

The report  about the deadly tornadoes  was horrifying. Prayers for the people  involved.

• Like 21

37 minutes ago, superoma said:

Before final payment there would not be an issue except if there was a non refundable deposit. Are you still before final payment for your Alaska trip? If so, you should be able to get your money back if you need to cancel.

@superoma My BFF booked and has paid in full for this cruise, while I'm covering the excursions and hotels.  We are in Vancouver for 4 days, and an extra day  before we all fly home.  I think he said he bought insurance, however, I think that he would still go, and I want my DH to still go in the event that I have to stay behind.  I think that in that case, they could share a room, as it stands now I am set to pay for two hotel rooms for 5 nights, and I don't want to let either of them down.  My girl friend Penny said she would be my caregiver in the event that I need one.  I have not talked to my BFF yet, I wanted to at least get the PET scan scheduled, not call him when he is just getting back from work at 10 pm.  I will email him, and see what kind of insurance he got, and hope that he can at least  get refunded for me.  I looked up my Greek and Transatlantic today, and even though I have insurance on one, but not the other, money back would be the whole amount minus the down payment.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

I’m following the fleet report for friends on Noordam in NZ now but having trouble figuring out which day it is 🤣. Coffee might help. 

I watched the weather tv last night as the tornadoes tore across Mississippi and beyond. It’s heartbreaking. Sending out blessings to all involved: those burdened with personal losses, many now homeless too; the widespread trauma; those caring for the injured; all those in charge of making decisions, and for the safety of the searchers; also for all involved in the chocolate factory explosion in Reading PA. We drive through there on our way to the granddaughters. And Ukraine. And not forgetting the earthquake victims. 

Cheers to all celebrating 🍾. Have a fun dinner out Gerry @ger_77. And wine!  I hope DH wears his medal!  

Smooth sailing for all the cruisers. Safe travels home to those returning. 

Thank you @JazzyV for adding us to the care list. We didn’t receive the pre-op meds so put in a question on the portal. Was now told she doesn’t prescribe them for this surgery. So why did she say she would?  I’m working on letting go of things I can’t control!  Hoping it will all unfold (not unravel!). Tuesday! 

Enjoying a bit a rain here, good for the reservoir we kayak in!  Hopefully soon!  

Blessings to all the Dailyites. Congratulations on 3 years!  
Maureen 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning. It’s a cloudy and cold day with rain later on. Have some errands to run later on.

Yesterday was a little bittersweet because a local family restaurant had announced the closing date due to the owner retiring., we went for lunch. The new owners are going to be closed for about 3 weeks. On the good news front, my favorite ice cream stand announced they are opening today for the season .

On another sad note, a local company RM Palmer candy plant had a massive fire and explosion yesterday afternoon, the building was destroyed and sadly there is loss of life. At this time, 5 are dead with 6 still missing and at least 8 injured. I have friends that work for the company in a different location. Prayers are needed as the search continues. 
I hope everyone has a good day. ❤️🙏

Prayers 🙏 are on their way.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a sunny central Texas, where for the moment, there is no wind.  If it wasn't 58F out, the weather would be perfect.  We're supposed to reach 75F this afternoon.  Even better, the humidity is 40% with a dew point of 34F.  It's that time of year, when our highs are in the 70s and 89s most days, and the lows in the 50s ort 60s.  I'm not sure what is on the agenda today.  We'll probably go for a ride to enjoy the nice weather and to look for more bluebonnets and other wild flowers.  If not, I may get some yard work done.

Many people will be celebrating the Feast of the Annunciation.  Pecans are all right, but not my favorite nut.  We like strawberry waffles and may have them today or tomorrow.  My father's favorite waffle was a pecan waffle.

The J. K. Rowling quote is very true.

The jury is still out about whether or not we'll use the strawberry basil relish on our salmon.  We'll pass on the drink and probably on the wine.  I like Rieslings that are between the sweet ones and the dry ones.

We have been to many interesting and lovely ports in Norway, but sadly Sandnessjoen isn't one of them.

@Seasick Sailor  Welcome home, Joy and Allen.  Safe travels today.  I hope you had a wonderful cruise.

@57redbird  Welcome home, and safe travels.

@seagarsmoker  Welcome home, and safe travels for you too.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm glad you are recovering well even if it's slow.  When DH had his cataract surgery, he found it was easier for him to put the drops in his eyes while lying down.  I've also been told to pull the bottom eyelid away from the eye and put the drops in the little pocket that forms.

@RedneckBob  RNB, in Texas we pronounce pecan as puh-kahn.  Hearing others pronounce it pee-can is like hearing fingernails on a chalkboard.  😱  We also had a huge pecan tree in our yard, and every year my DF would shell the pecans we gathered.  My DFIL also had a huge pecan tree, and we'd get a lot of pecans from him, which I'd shell.  Now days, I just pick up a bag of pecan halves at W-M.  It's so much easier.  🤣

@cruising sister  Lorraine, I'm sorry the brace was so uncomfortable.  I am glad that Molly is helping with your hand exercise.

@cat shepard  Please wish your sister a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! for us.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope the party prep goes well, and the party is a success.  I'm sorry about the problems with the spreadsheet.  Sometimes, I've found if you just forget something that's not working for awhile, it will work when you get back to it.

@marshhawk  Annie, it's probably to late for today, but you might want to try warming the French toast casserole in the oven.

@ger_77  Gerry, I agree that it doesn't seem like three years for the Daily.  For me, it is not quite three years, since I didn't discover the Daily until the summer of 2020.  It has certainly been a refuge these last three years, and we've formed such a close and supportive "family".

@aliaschief  Bruce, another great batch of memes today.  We can relate to the last one about the RV.  Whenever we have a line of cars behind us, we try to pull over at the first convenient and safe place to pull off the road so that others can pass.  In Alaska, there are signs saying if there are more than five vehicles behind you, pull over for them to pass.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm glad Sue's DGD had a good time yesterday, and that Farkle Friday was fun with a dinner that was a big hit.   Thank you for the pictures, and River is a cutie.

@0106  Tina, thank you again for filling in for Debbie @dfish this week.  I'm sure it made her week easier.

@superoma  Eva, I'm glad you DD is feeling better everyday.  The getaway in the sun should do wonders for her recovery.

@1ANGELCAT  I hope the new owners of the restaurant will keep it being as good as the previous owner.  I saw the news and pictures of the candy plant explosion and fire.  Such a horrible event, and so sad about the loss of life.

@HAL4NOW  Ray, thanks for your picture of the snow.  Untouched snow is so pretty, especially from this distance.

My heart goes out to all those in Mississippi who were affected by last night's storms, and for the families who lost loved ones.  While it's sad that many lost their homes, they can be replaced, but loved ones cannot.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Good morning all. And yes, thanks to all who have filled on for others who are cruising. If the weather does as predicted, and the sun comes out by 11 I plan to go kayaking with friends. It is a seven mile route so I am hoping that my arms didn't get too weak while cruising. We will see if I am the slowest one. It will be fun however it works. Hoping for a good day for everyone here. 

• Like 25

Good morning everyone, 

I also woke up to a skiff of snow and we had snow/sleet/hail/rain yesterday as well. Isn't this supposed to be Spring? 

I've been reading every day but just not having time to post. Doing the caregiving for DH is becoming more of a challenge. He did great coming home last week. Then Friday he had a "down" day which I expected as he was so busy the day before. The visiting nurse came to do wound care for his heel and felt he was showing stroke symptoms so we called 911. I knew he was just tired and that was the consensus of the medics as well. The weekend was fine with one slip off the wheelchair. Our local guys came, got him back up and had a nice visit with him commenting that they hadn't heard DH talk so much and be so engaging. 

Thursday I ended up with them here both morning and evening for falls. Morning they got him in the wheelchair and all was fine. Evening they got him in the wheelchair, I got his evening meds in him, and they helped get him into bed for me as well as the assistant fire chief cleaned out a downspout because he saw the gutters were overflowing. "Clean the gutters" is on DS's "to-do" list for me. The doctor says DH is fighting the UTI bacteria so we're doing an antibiotic and then a maintenance one and now the nurse and I think he's dehydrated. Anyway, the ER may be in the cards today. I just want this guy healthy and able to cruise again as that's something he totally loves - as do I.

Thanks for listening/reading! 

Karen 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 17

Good morning.  Banana pecan waffles are my favorites, so that could start the day off here perfectly.  Maybe then should end the day with the salmon, just for health purposes.  Oh my on the drink!  Decadent!

@ger_77, I looked up that jaeger sauce the last time you mentioned it — as we love schnitzel.  It sounds heavenly.  Enjoy your celebration!

@dfish, and @smitty34877, super cute photos of River, DGS and precious new puppy.  All adorable!

Prayers are with the Mississippi tornado victims and those at the candy factory.  Terrible news.  Extra prayers for your friend, @summer slope.  That’s very sad news  indeed.

Here we will have a quiet day.  We have sunshine for the first time in awhile.  Pocket will enjoy his walks.  

Thanks everyone for the Daily.  Three years coming up?  Seems like yesterday!

83C329E7-9982-40F9-87D4-5879A86809C7.jpeg.7dc8261aa138ac21ca257b335b9d6369.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7