The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday June 12th, 2023

richwmn

Good afternoon.  It has been getting cloudier all day, except when DH was changing the Sirius receiver in the car and I was washing the dirt out of the port.  Our neighbor came over with his big ladder and reinstalled the shutter.  It's easy to snap back into the siding, but for the ones on the back of the house, you need a tall ladder and someone who is comfortable on ladders.

2 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Happy Monday Everyone.

Sunny St Petersburg has gone from late spring to summer.  May was so pleasant with lower humidity and cooler mornings, but it has now transitioned to humid and very warm.  All that is missing is our afternoon thunderstorms.  

Our neighbor summers near Traverse City, Michigan, and it was 45 this morning with a high only in the 50's expected.  She only has a space heater as it is not a "winterized cottage", so maybe not comfortable.  She did have a mother bear with two cubs to look at, which she said beats our alligator and water bird sightings.  

I wish I had followed my own thinking a couple of months ago as to investments.  I said Carnival stock was either the deal of the century or would go bankrupt.  It was $8 a share.  This morning it was $15, just about double!  Even with all the debt they took on, looks like the cruise industry has survived and is flourishing once again.

My leg is still healing from the cellulitis from the poisonous Australian red back

spider bite two months ago today.  It has been really a tough road to travel, but I'm slowly getting back to normal. Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes.

Would like to be out west to see the waterfalls with the heavy snowmelt runoff.

Would settle for being onboard a BHB sailing away, too.

20200626_150242.mp4.thumb.jpg

20211113_180255.jpg

I'm sorry your recovery has been so rough, but I'm glad you are improving.  I hope you're back to normal soon and back on a BHB soon too.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I like jerky sometimes, peanut butter cookies and red roses. Good quote. I like the meal (but rarely eat it due to carbs/sugar), pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I like Roy's meal too.

I haven't been to Sharm El Sheikh.

It's cooler and cloudy here. We had some rain last night, and more due the next few days, which we need. I had planned to have another day at home today. But I got an early call from my Health System. When I saw the Neurologist last week, he ordered a nerve conduction/EMG study. The first I could schedule was August. They called this morning and said they had a few earlier openings, and could I come in this afternoon? So I'll be doing that later. Then maybe look for a pair of black flats; I returned the ones I'd bought for the cruise, as they were uncomfortable.

@catmando Happy Birthday! Nice to see you posting here. Congrats on the decision to stop smoking! You can do it! Beautiful photo you shared.

@aliaschief Thanks for sharing your cruise.

@kazu Oh my on getting stung by whatever that was. I hope you feel ok today. 

@dfish Safe travels home.

@rafinmd You've got a busy day. Good luck with the oral surgeon.

@Norseh2o Enjoy your time in France.

@ger_77 That's disturbing news about your friend's GI issues and weight loss.

@grapau27 It looks like you had great weather for your cruise.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Good to hear you didn't have any bad damage from the storm. 

@St Pete Cruiser I'm glad you're slowly healing from that scary, life-threatening spider bite you had.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast for those Celebrating.

Be well everyone.

Vanessa, I hope the conduction/EMG study goes well, and that you have some answers and a plan to solve any problems.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I plan to enjoy today's weather (high 70's) because we're headed for a cool spell after today.  June is turning out to have its typical weather now after the hot weather we had earlier in the month.

I'll pass on the jerky (and jerks), and the peanut butter cookies.  I like peanut butter and peanuts, just not in cookies.  Love, love red roses and have 3 red rose bushes.  IMO the quote is only half right, don't judge but do think.  I'd like the meal but don't have a lot of the ingredients -- so maybe if someone prepared it for me. 😉  Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser the kit is a good idea, if I could find one.  Will pass on the drink and red wine.  We've been to Egypt but only to Cairo and Alexandria.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Chuck @catmando!  Thank you for the beautiful photo from your cruise and you ARE giving yourself the best gift by quitting smoking. 🙂  You can do it!

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser WOW on that thunderstorm!

Jacqui @kazu Yikes about the sting on your head.  Very good it wasn't on your temple, that could have been even worse. I wonder if it was a bee.  

Carolyn, the meal kit I use is Great Value at the big box store.  I haven't found it lately, but they have another kit that may be the one I use just renamed.  They also had a kit for Korean BBQ using steak, but it worked well on the ribs.  I can't find it now, and wish I had purchased more when I bought the second kit.

45 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good afternoon everyone. Thanks for the dailies. 

Quick note. In Halifax. Walked up to Citadel and was there for the canon firing at noon. Oh heavens!!  I not so sure my heart has restarted!!😂

having a great time. Didn’t get the internet this time so am restricted to connecting in port. 

LOVE my ocean view and really love this ship. 

Have a great Monday all!

Penny, I'm glad the cruise is going well.  With not many sea days and with the ports being visited, I agree an internet package is not a must.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lenda, sorry to hear about the storm damage and mess left over from last night's storm.  Fly-away shutters can cause a lot of damage if you're unlucky.  My DD's siding on her home was damaged and a light fixture broken when her next door neighbor's shutter flew off and into DD's home.  The neighbor just came over and picked it up and didn't offer to pay for damages at all.  She said they are having to pay for $1800 in damages instead of making a claim on their insurance.  And the color of the siding doesn't match any longer after 11 years fading.  Also she's replacing all 5 outdoor lights to match so that adds up too. 🙄

Sandi, I can't believe your DD's neighbor did not offer to pay for the damage his shutter caused.  It must have been a heavy wooden shutter.  Luckily, our shutters are light weight fiberglass, so I doubt they would do much damage.  Our neighbor said he found it in his yard.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, the meal kit I use is Great Value at the big box store.  I haven't found it lately, but they have another kit that may be the one I use just renamed.  They also had a kit for Korean BBQ using steak, but it worked well on the ribs.  I can't find it now, and wish I had purchased more when I bought the second kit.

Thank you Lenda, I'll take a look there!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, loveandpeas said:

I have finally found a good gluten free pie crust, so I should give this a try for sure. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

My daughter is trying to eat gluten free. Would you share the recipe for the pie crust?  Thanks

• Like 8

Just now, Tbay said:

My daughter is trying to eat gluten free. Would you share the recipe for the pie crust?  Thanks

Oh no I'm not that good! I order from here: Handcrafted Baked Goods | Gluten-Free Bakery (wendelstruefoods.com)

If you are looking for gluten free baking mixes though, I have found Epicure to be hands-down the best - EVERYTHING they make is gluten free so I like that I don't have to scrutinize ingredients. We love their morning glory muffins, their banana bread, and their jalepeno cornbread the most!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon from a warm and cloudy day at the beac  \

I do like peanut butter and peanuts but not in a cookie. No to jerky .Have not been to todays port.

@catmando A very Happy Birthday and may you have many more. Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking, Best present ever for yourself

Ann @cat shepard I laughed outloud at your " aunt" pronunciation. I also grew up in Massachusetts and even though I have lived in Florida for 35 years, there is no mistaking where I come from. DH says he has to interpret  for me all the time.  

Quiet day here today.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 17

Good afternoon,

Happy Birthday @catmando  I hope your day continues to be a great one. I have finally picked up all the toys and taken down the blanket fort from a weekend of fun with the grands and the new neighbor girl. I slept in until 8:30 recovering!  I need to get in better shape to keep up with three little ones. 

Have a great rest of your day!

• Like 13

Good, well, afternoon, all! Even on the west coast I can’t pretend it’s still morning.

We got the walk and any chores out of the way early today before it gets hot. 

We were in Sharm El Sheik last fall on the Grand Africa.

D694D627-F938-434E-BEA1-E61AE4503FD6.thumb.jpeg.01cb3d9e3411bf23996434c19379f123.jpeg

My first sight of a camel loose in the desert free to live its own life.

EA747148-2A2E-479C-897C-BB3BD94F0B2F.thumb.png.4cb256ead470c76a7a3c52ecc1ee577b.png

At the beach in the sweltering heat, having tea in a Bedouin tent.

0DA9B8C4-D21B-496F-A992-10249F88A54F.thumb.jpeg.7730319f9cfbfbb359cfbc71c5991a84.jpeg

To keep cool, the back of the tent is lifted and a refreshing ocean breeze keeps the inside of the tent comfortable. I tried this later with a clamshell at Half Moon Cay, and it makes a world of difference!

D3780114-5184-4FFC-B087-68F51E77B8EE.thumb.png.7ef3140aa8a26394e0e2b6a69965c16f.png

A statue of the Lion and the Lamb, outside the Coptic Church.

EDAF0737-4071-44B2-84DD-9D2646DECA64.thumb.png.981ecb6c6ab456248bac080e5bec065e.png

Ceiling of the Coptic Church.

8F714251-07F6-4FDD-8A95-7EA7D02A54D7.thumb.jpeg.ff60aba6b8284a42a124fba8b5bd0a5d.jpeg

The new mosque.

BC410C75-5154-4B3F-B745-4C86DE43FB4B.thumb.png.76a13a53c8adac4311d0964f68e2b782.png

A side entrance of the new Mosque.

3FF8E621-E916-4FA5-BCF6-4728491C3B19.thumb.jpeg.e70255ff70172808d506ff4ca2900ce4.jpeg

The vehicle ahead of us at the toll booth. The dessert equivalent of carrying a spare?

Yesterday was productive but not exciting. We changed out all the duvets to summer bedding. Then we defrosted the freezer in the laundry room. A door seal is broken, and needs replaced.After being away for eight month it was an ice castle in there! We’ve priced new door seals. For the age and condition of the freezer, we need to replace the whole thing.

@kazu - Jacqui, yikes on that sting and reaction!

@catmando - Happy Birthday, Chuck!

@loveandpeas - I’m celiac, and after years of fighting with GF pie crust recipes I just buy the ones from Superstore now. They tend to be bland, but the filling is the star of the pie anyway!

@aliaschief - Thanks for the pictures of Obidos. I loved it when we were there in April, in spite of all the streets being essentially vertical!

Happy Monday, everyone! And cheers to our favorite BHB’s, wherever they may be!

5A0597FA-258F-43AF-9A87-D2EE02EA4EB3.thumb.jpeg.0d93b9e7dd54c3552f92316e57cfec35.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Pretty impressive sight tonight at sail-away. Lisbon has it’s own Redeemer.

Lisbon’s sail away is very nice.  I think I snapped 20 pics of the Redeemer LOL.

5 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

My leg is still healing from the cellulitis from the poisonous Australian red back

spider bite two months ago today.  It has been really a tough road to travel, but I'm slowly getting back to normal. Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes.

So sorry that you have been having such a rough road 😔. Recovery is a tough go and no fun at all 😞. Hoping you are fully recovered very soon 🙏 

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

When I saw the Neurologist last week, he ordered a nerve conduction/EMG study. The first I could schedule was August. They called this morning and said they had a few earlier openings, and could I come in this afternoon? So I'll be doing that later.

Best wishes for your nerve conduction / EMG study, Vanessa.

6 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Our older friends are coming in today - their daughter (a retired nurse) is driving them in because her dad has a medical consultation tomorrow to see why he is having severe gastro intestinal issues.  He's lost over 50 pounds since last year, despite having been on a gluten free, dairy free food program.  Sure hope he has a good outcome from this appointment.

Enjoy your day with them, Gerry.  So glad to her their daughter is coming with medical expertise.  Hopefully the medical consultation can resolve her dad’s problem and hopefully they let her come in for the appointment 🙏 

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Then, I spent about an hour cleaning up the mess from last night's unexpected, very severe thunderstorm that came through about 11 pm.  When I looked at the weather radar last night during the storm, we were in the dark red area.  We didn't get any real damage, except one of the shutters blew off and our neighbor found it in his yard.  He said he'll put it up later.  At least that explains the banging we heard in the bedroom.  Even with all the rain, the shutters still look good this morning, so I guess they cured enough in 12 hours.

The two small tables I keep upside down on the glider when not using them, blew off and the plastic inserts came out.  The  car covers came part way off the cars, and one that was already in bad shape is just about history and ready for the garage can.  I think there was a lot of dirt blowing in the wind that got deposited in the clean port concrete.  I'll wash it off a little later this morning.  Otherwise, all I needed to do was blow the cedar tree crud and the oak leaves off the driveway and our neighbor's drive way.  

There were a few branches broken off trees in the neighborhood.  Right now, three of our neighbors are already helping one neighbor cut up the large broken branch and hauling it away.  That is the nice thing about living in our neighborhood.  We all look our for and help each other.

I am do so sorry for your mess from the storm, Lenda 😔. So great that you have good neighbours.  Everyone doesn’t and those of us that do need to treasure them ♥️ 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, kazu said:

I am do so sorry for your mess from the storm, Lenda 😔. So great that you have good neighbours.  Everyone doesn’t and those of us that do need to treasure them ♥️ 

Thank you, Jacqui.  Yes, we do treasure our neighbors who all look after each other.  This is especially important as some of us get older, and the younger ones keep an eye on us.  I found out part of the neighborhood lost power last night and some are experiencing brownouts today.  So far, we have not had any problems.  🤞

Lenda

• Like 13

Happy Birthday @catmando.  Hoping your dinner was good!  Congrats on being a non-smoker!  

Just got home from grand-daughters soft ball game, they're 6-8 year olds.   They have gotten better as the season has progressed...saw some good catches and outs!  

Good evening, Karen

• Like 8

🌈🎉🍾🙃🎂 HAPPY BIRTHDAY @catmando 

Hoping it was a great day and a delicious dinner. Wishing you a healthy and inspiring year ahead 🗓️. It’s a perfect day to start a new lifestyle.  You’ve done hard things before, you can do this 👍

You have the rest of your life ahead of you!  Enjoy it all!!  

@St Pete Cruiser  Sorry it’s such a long recovery. Keep moving forward!  

@Nickelpenny Lovin that OV!  👏

@dfish safe travels. Beautiful photos of the lakes side. 

@ger_77  Those shirts are treasures and you deserve them. 

@ottahand7 An otter and a wolf!  Wow, rare and special happenings. 

Prayers lifted this morning. Blessings for a good rest for all tonight…. 
Maureen 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Good evening.  I must apologize for unintentionally giving out some erroneous information earlier today when I recommended the pad Thai kit for those who cannot have wheat flour.  I thought the noodles in the kit were rice noodles.  When I checked the ingredients today, the label tonight it said Oriental noodles, and the first ingredient listed was wheat flour.  I hope no one who cannot eat gluten bought the pad Thai kit today.

Lenda

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

No jerky here but jerks are never in short supply. Peanut butter cookies aren't a favorite, and because peanut allergy has become so common, I don't see them much any more. An interesting study conducted among Jews in the UK, where small children are kept away from peanuts for as long as possible, and in Israel, where the ubiquitous snack, Bamba, is made with peanuts, suggests that exposing children to peanuts early is better.

I'll skip the pad thai; would rather have Roy's alternative. Not sure what the drink is but yes on the wine. I haven't been to Sharm El Sheikh.

whatthehelliswrongwithyou.jpg.45ed0491e1a2711c3c54b2fd16a2fd53.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 6