The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 2nd, 2023

richwmn

3 hours ago, Live4cruises said:

Good morning, everyone!  First and most importantly thank you all for the prayers, good wishes, and positive thoughts for Nicholas!  I can't thank you enough - even though I haven't been attentive to CC, I've been well aware that this wonderful group has us in its collective mind.  🙏

He were released from the hospital late last Saturday afternoon. Odd how slowly hospitals work. We knew by 10 that we were homeward bound, but it was after 5 before we drove away.  Mercy!  He's doing well, up and around with a walker for stability. We've been gradually cutting back on the serious pain meds, and today he says is the day he stops taking them. These are all giant steps in the right direction!  He has an appointment with our Primary doctor on Thursday. Until then, he's taking it very slowly and carefully, and staying downstairs. I am valet, drug-dealer, laundress, cook, tech support, and all around on-call fetcher. I know MANY of you know exactly what I'm talking about!  I am also more than grateful that I have these tasks to do, and I'm able to do them. 

I will try to catch up on how everyone is doing. I hope baby Murphy is continuing to improve and grow stronger!  Terri, Annie, Smitty, you've been in my thoughts. Also, I'm hoping to read that our Florida friends weathered the storm.

On a selfish note, we are supposed to fly to Seattle four weeks from today (6 weeks after Nick's accident) to board Westerdam for 4 weeks - trans Pacific and circle Japan. I am cautiously optimistic that we'll be able to do it, and SO looking forward to many sea days for both of us to recover. 

Thank you all again, good and caring friends!

Robin, I'm glad that Nicholas is doing better, and now feels like he no longer needs the pain meds.  I hope you will be able to take your cruise. I hope you will be able to take the cruise.  Once you are on board, you can do as much or as little as you feel like doing.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all! @RMLincoln a very happy birthday to you? @Quartzsite Cruiserhappy anniversary!  Enjoy! 
@Crazy For Cats yikes, hope all goes well! 
@kazu Good news on the physio!  Hoping it does the trick! 

Brenda, thank you for the anniversary wishes.

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites!  I see I've missed some birthdays and anniversaries, so Happy Celebrations to all those with a special day.  Today is our 7th anniversary of being in this townhouse complex, we are very happy here, and glad we made that big move while we still could.  If we were trying to do it now, I don't think we could!

We were in Belem on the Prinsendam in 2019 on an Amazon cruise.  It was not her last cruise, but we knew she was on the way out, so there were some sad moments, and even the Captain had tears in his eyes when he spoke about her.  

I don't know exactly where we were anchored, the sign just said Belem..

P1070089.thumb.JPG.7c1768e2746a31724340edf461c0db69.JPG

The square and the market near the dock

P1070828.thumb.JPG.058e22d50772b5e5d9875baebd4d6655.JPG

P1070096.thumb.JPG.e26aebe6e31e9c1ad59407e26ecf2189.JPG

A roll call member had organized some tours and we went to two parks in Belem and saw strange animals..

P1070933.thumb.JPG.2617798a2f20d5bffa3f7199ff1ce344.JPG

P1070851.thumb.JPG.2991f7dd208caa6d5b371fddf0141c5c.JPG

P1070920.thumb.JPG.1fc525da78ee5c27cf318ec84b8d3b1e.JPG

P1070149.thumb.JPG.de1f89634053b233a99ec89d9bd37d5d.JPG

P1070180.thumb.JPG.61658f1d38dd97735578b0031a85c172.JPG

In town

P1070964.thumb.JPG.086450223dbf3bbb16c25c9879ce52db.JPG

The skyline as we sailed away.

P1070225.thumb.JPG.31b9cc0c5abe79abaab27f16e5be81d5.JPG

It was an interesting stop, but very hot.

Ann, thank you for your picture of Belem.  I enjoyed seeing what the town looks like.

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Today will be sunny and warm (79) then cool off to the high 60's the rest of the week.  I'm glad we had a beautiful day yesterday for Bruce's @aliaschief flight into Seattle and a good day today to drive to Oregon.  I'm sure our cooler temps feel good!  It's a good time to come before the rains start.

I love bacon but it's one thing I have to avoid due to the sodium content.  Once in awhile though 😉  

Our DSIL and DS both have beards, DH had one years ago but looks better with just a mustache.  He shaved that off a few years ago too.  

I love lamb (especially served on a BHB!) but will pass on the meal because we had beef souvlaki just last night (it was good).  Tonight will be the Garlicy Shrimp Alfredo Bake recipe.  Will pass on the drink and wine, have not been to this port.

Not much on the agenda today other than the usual cruise planning and gardening.  

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser A very Happy Anniversary to you and your DH Steve!

Maureen @RMLincoln Happy Birthday!

Jacqui @kazu I'm so glad to hear that you're happy with the new treatment for your elbow.  Prayers for a huge success!

Terry @smitty34877 No offense from me either.  Back when my dear sister had cancer, marijuana wasn't legal yet.  I remember my niece sneaking edibles to her to ease her suffering (sneaking because her Dad, my sister's husband, was totally against anything like that).  

I hope everyone has a great day!

Carolyn, that's for helping us celebrate our anniversary.

33 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

Good Saturday everyone!

Happy to hear some are having good things happen this week and should be celebrated.  I like good news!

I like bacon, do not like lamb so won't be making the recipes from @dfish though they look good, and do not have a beard.

@Quartzsite Cruiser very happy anniversary! Your time married is amazing.

@RMLincoln very happy happy birthday to you! Enjoy your day.

@smitty34877 not offended by the medical marijuana; if it helps that would be great. Lots of anecdotal use say that it does help. More research I am sure is in the process. It is legal here (MN) for medical and recreational use. The recreational use, when it gets to be too much, is when there are problems. IMHO. The state hasn't regulated the use of it well, so we will see what happens, recreational use was just put into law Aug 1st. Medical has been approved for a few years.

@Cruzin Terri a belated happy birthday to you! I hope you get to go out and enjoy your birthday dinner this evening.  Maybe you should try the medical marijuana, they say it helps! Too many obstacles for you lately and you deserve a break. 😉 

We are having ANOTHER heat bubble here for 4 days - temps 98-101F. I am over all of the heat this Summer! (whining).

Hope all that are traveling have safe and smooth travels.

Prayers for all in need and everyone else, we all could use some prayers at times.

Celebrate the all joys in your life. Thanks to all contributors here on this great thread. 😎

Take care and have a great rest of the Holiday WE.

Caron

Thank you, Caron.

11 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, the Floor Guy is gone,.  We have a ton of work to do to put the den back together again.  i just cannot do it today.

I talked to my cleaner. She is coming tomorrow and hopefully will bring her daughter with her.  First we will work on the room and then they can work on getting the house clean.  Right now, there are too many things in the way in both the dining room and front bedroom for those places to be cleaned.

When we moved here 22 years ago, we were four.  Now we are two.  I am beginning to think this house is too big for us and it is time to make a move.  I have not yet said anything to DH.  That will be a challenge for him.  Not sure he can handle it at this point in his life.  

Right now I want to put the Den back together and then think about Italy.

Then we will see about where we go from there.

it’s only 2 pm and I feel like it has been a long day already.

More later.

Terri

Terri, I'm glad the floor guy is finished.  Rest this afternoon so you can enjoy your belated birthday dinner.  I'm glad you will have help tomorrow putting everything back in place.

7 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny and warm afternoon. Back with the children dinners for supper tonight. They smell so good. 
I don’t believe anyone else here lives in the Chester county Pa area but stay indoors and stay safe. There was a prison escape on Thursday evening and he is considered to be extremely dangerous, (life imprisonment for murder). He was spotted in the area of Longwood gardens around 2am and per police advice Longwood is closed today. I hope he is apprehended soon.

i hope we get an update on Baby Murphy soon.

We lived in Chester County from 1980 to May 1985, and still have friends who live in Kennett Square.  I hope they are safe and are taking precautions until the escaped prisoner is captured.  Chester County is such a pretty area, and we enjoyed living there, but when we went back in 2012, we found the entire area, especially along Route 1 around Longwood Gardens, was too crowded.  

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Today is packing day. I have clothes out on the bed and have walked away for a bit. Then I'll go back and probably put quite a bit back in the closet and then start with the suitcase. I'm planning on one bag to go with the porter, one with me and my backpack but we'll see how that goes. 

Good luck with the packing - and the decision making.  That’s the hard part 😉 

40 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, the Floor Guy is gone,.  We have a ton of work to do to put the den back together again.  i just cannot do it today.

I talked to my cleaner. She is coming tomorrow and hopefully will bring her daughter with her.  First we will work on the room and then they can work on getting the house clean.  Right now, there are too many things in the way in both the dining room and front bedroom for those places to be cleaned.

When we moved here 22 years ago, we were four.  Now we are two.

I am so glad the floors are finally done, Terri.  Take it easy putting everything back together and relax and have nice belated birthday dinner.

You can figure the house out later.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

@aliaschief I am curious about your rental car experience at SEATAC.  We, unfortunately, had to make three trips to Seattle on family business since May and required a rental car each trip.  We have nothing good to say about our car pick up and delivery experiences at the airport - it was even worse the one time we decided to pick up the rental in town.  Of course, we were there at peak cruise season so the airport was very busy (tho this is a holiday weekend) so hopefully it was better for you. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon,

I haven't gotten much done other than watering the tomato plant and picking some of the peppers.

We got a text from DS telling us that DDIL tested positive this morning. 😞  So far he's testing negative -- and neither of them has had Covid before this.  So far she just has a sore throat.  They're super careful, but I'm starting to think when it's our turn there isn't much we can do.  

I'm glad now I canceled a lunch date with BFF that would have been 2 days before our cruise.  It's going around a lot in the PNW. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

@Cruzin TerriI am so sorry, yes, I did intend that information for @smitty34877.  I apologize, but it might be worthwhile thinking about for your pain, too.

Well I got a couple of plants re-potted, but had to come inside because the smoke rolled in again - it almost seems thicker than yesterday.  Guess the rest of the afternoon will be spent indoors.

@57redbird we bought a couple of underseat carry-ons a few years ago from that famous online site and have been so pleased with them - not once have we been asked to check them, while many others on flights we've travelled have been asked.  Ours are basic black, but this is the very same style, albeit more expensive due to the London Fog brand.  I can pack a whole bunch of stuff in these little guys so that we ensure if our luggage doesn't make it to our destination, we at least have some extra clothing to wear.

https://www.amazon.ca/London-Fog-Newcastle-Under-Charcoal/dp/B07TFB6JPP/ref=sr_1_26?crid=1J2S0YRUA697R&keywords=underseat+carry+on+luggage&qid=1693682718&sprefix=underseat%2Caps%2C126&sr=8-26

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Good evening everyone from Rome.  We had great flights yesterday via Icelandair.  Arrived  in Rome yesterday and hit the ground running this morning with a Coliseum floor small group tour with a great tour company called Roman Vacations.  We also toured the Forum and Palatine Hill. After the tour we had, what else but pizza and beer for lunch and then toured St Clements, nearby the Coliseum.  It’s three churches built over each other, all built over a first century Roman home. All of the structures are intact with the upper level still an active church.  It makes me feel very young!  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to those of you celebrating happy events!  Oh by the way we had gelato for dinner, does that make me a bad person.  I’m attaching a photo of our entire tour group I’m wearing the hat.  
DSC00974.thumb.jpeg.7947f5cdf03ae09a9f71766514ba5a7c.jpeg

• Like 27

48 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We got a text from DS telling us that DDIL tested positive this morning. 😞  So far he's testing negative -- and neither of them has had Covid before this.  So far she just has a sore throat.  They're super careful, but I'm starting to think when it's our turn there isn't much we can do.  

oh dear - I hope your DDIL has nothing ore than a sore throat and recovers quickly and hopefully your DS remains negative.

Sadly, as much as we are all so done with covid, it’s not done with us 😔 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, all.

We had a nice visit to the dog park this morning and River had fun playing on the playground equipment.  After that we went to Lowe's and bought some fall flowers to adorn the palace.  I also installed a new thermostat as the previous one gave up the ghost.  The palace has zone heating so each zone has its own thermostat.  Now we can heat the kitchen, dining room, and family room.  I'm getting pretty handy around the house.  

@Cruising-along So sorry that Covid has made a visit to DDIL.  Let's hope it is just a sore throat.  When Sue had it that is all she had.  Two days of sore throat and 5 days of boredom until she tested negative.  

@Live4cruises  I'm glad to hear that Nicholas is making such great forward progress.  That is what we all want for our Dailyites. I sure hope you can take that cruise.  

@Cruzin Terri  The big hurdle is over.  The floors are repaired.  You can take as long as you want putting things back.  Enjoy your birthday celebration.

Something for the garden club:

Picture1.thumb.jpg.f304316894ab3a2a6d512dd26caf147b.jpg

Picture2.thumb.jpg.a3f90457ddfdac9beaf9805a8d385422.jpg

Picture3.thumb.jpg.7a2495c480fbc112c3b0dfad8b748a3b.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Bought two from Amazon and paid $55 for the Purple and $60 for the Blue bag. It is the: "TPRC 15-Inch Smart Under Seat Carry-On Luggage with USB Charging Port, Telescoping Handles." It is of decent quality and has a strap on back so you can piggyback it on a larger bag. The handle extends to 40 inches. I am not sure that it would be considered small enough for an underseat bag on some airlines. We are flying SAS which requires smaller dimensions so it will just be their carryon bag. The nice thing is that they can wheel it instead of carrying it.

- Jack

Amazon_Underseat_Bag_front1.thumb.jpg.8ce222f7d61de3a45e3a6654ced5a840.jpg

Amazon_Underseat_Bag_side1.thumb.jpg.0cc7a51275ff96807df4675ca5db6fc1.jpg

My new underseat bag arrived yesterday. Looks very similar but has 4 wheels. I used my previous one a couple of weeks ago (it's a dragger-2 wheeled) and my shoulder was very sore by the time I got home.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

My new underseat bag arrived yesterday. Looks very similar but has 4 wheels. I used my previous one a couple of weeks ago (it's a dragger-2 wheeled) and my shoulder was very sore by the time I got home.

I bought a new Travel Pro under seat roller a short while ago.  It only has 2 wheels but it seems good to roll.  I’m not going to try to lift bags into the overhead bin unless I have to and if I do this is much lighter than my old hard shell.  DD DH always put the bags up and I’m not pushing my elbow next month.

It will sit on my suitcase if I can’t fake carry on so hopefully it will not be causing me grief 🤞 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good evening everyone from Rome.  We had great flights yesterday via Icelandair.  Arrived  in Rome yesterday and hit the ground running this morning with a Coliseum floor small group tour with a great tour company called Roman Vacations.  We also toured the Forum and Palatine Hill. After the tour we had, what else but pizza and beer for lunch and then toured St Clements, nearby the Coliseum.  It’s three churches built over each other, all built over a first century Roman home. All of the structures are intact with the upper level still an active church.  It makes me feel very young!  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to those of you celebrating happy events!  Oh by the way we had gelato for dinner, does that make me a bad person.  I’m attaching a photo of our entire tour group I’m wearing the hat.  

Looks like a good day to me!  Hope you have a fabulous trip.

2 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Ready to depart from Quebec City after a nice day of walking.

IMG_1967.thumb.jpeg.2a0e68b7c8f26ffd331bd164c2fffe83.jpeg

IMG_1966.thumb.jpeg.93e2f3bb07d8d7a2feed4c82c5b28935.jpeg

IMG_1961.thumb.jpeg.f96b86073c6697271954e962b34baeb7.jpeg

IMG_1962.thumb.jpeg.13557de75b6d260a4a6ad26e8f466bc9.jpeg

IMG_1959.thumb.jpeg.92cfb93e13a2611a4db3f12ee31dd690.jpeg

IMG_1947.thumb.jpeg.bc337c752b6c0ae22e889bfb761bfe20.jpeg

Great photos Tony!  Glad you had a good walking day.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

As I mentioned above we finally took our Amazon River cruise on Volendam late last year.  We had to tender in to port and could see the big city of Belem off in the distance.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

But this is what Icoaraci looked like - much smaller.

Getting off the tender at the small dock area this was the view of all the local activity.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6k7hJZw1AOkk9shFnh7L9qCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677531936

Stepping off the dock and onto the street running parallel to the shoreline, we saw things like this.  A group of police officers to the right of us.

And more off to the left of us.

After a short discussion about taking the 45 minute bus ride to Belem, or touring Icoaraci, we decided to turn around and head back to the tender.  

While waiting for the tender we saw the local people going about their business of moving their shopping onto a boat for a ride home.

So that is my short visit to Icoaraci.  I'm not sad I didn't see more of it.  I hope those who toughed out a hot ride to Belem enjoyed their stay there and will post a few photos of the BIG city.  The view of Icoaraci as the ship left that afternoon.  There was a drone buzzing around us while we sailed away and I wondered who was viewing us up close.

Thank you for your helpful photos Sandi.

This is a port that we would gladly miss.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Good Evening,  our plane left Boston about 30 minutes late. At least we are in Halifax and our next flight should leave with a 30 minute delay. So long as we get to Montreal tonight I'll be happy. Or at least as happy as i can be knowing we will get to the ship on time.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Evening,  our plane left Boston about 30 minutes late. At least we are in Halifax and our next flight should leave with a 30 minute delay. So long as we get to Montreal tonight I'll be happy. Or at least as happy as i can be knowing we will get to the ship on time.

Fingers and toes crossed for you Jake. 🤞 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I would look even sillier with a beard, and bacon doesn't figure in my world view. I thought first of bad driving, not stadium parties. I tend to drive exactly at the speed limit, so I have a lot of experience with that.

Souvlaki would be fine with me, but actual dinner was cheese and wine, followed by green beans from the farmers' market. No on the cocktail. OK on the wine, but the Finger Lakes climate is perfect for Cabernet Franc, so I'll suggest this one from Lakewood Vineyards. I haven't been to Belem.

My only project today was unpacking two boxes that were in the garage because they were too heavy and awkward to carry up the stairs. Some water got into the garage this week and the unpacking had become urgent. None of the items in the boxes is heavy or awkward by itself, but I haven't found instructions and a packet of screws that ought to be there.

garagesale.thumb.jpg.58f54bdd3d1a06a772bf0b386b0eb212.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 8

48 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Sounds like our trip to Boston last July.

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I suspect the plane @Crazy For Cats is on just arrived in Halifax and appears likely to be about an hour and a half in Montreal.

Roy

Edited my post.

Just checked and they are on an airbus so should be there in under 2 hours.  About an hour and 3/4.  Apologies Roy.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good evening. It was a fairly quiet day.  I caught up on some paperwork this morning, and then read and watched Texas beat Rice.  We had a quiet anniversary dinner. We split a ribeye which DH cooked perfectly.  Along with our steak and wine, we had salad, sautéed mushrooms and sautéed squash.

We both appreciated all the good anniversary wishes today.  Thank you all for helping us celebrate our 56th anniversary.

4 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Glad you made it to Rome safely, and had a good tour.  Nice picture of your group.

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Jake, I glad your new fights worked out, and you will be in Montreal soon.

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good afternoon,

I haven't gotten much done other than watering the tomato plant and picking some of the peppers.

I'm glad now I canceled a lunch date with BFF that would have been 2 days before our cruise.  It's going around a lot in the PNW. 

Carolyn, I sorry you DDIL tested positive, and I hope the rest of the family stays negative.  I also hope your DDIL has a very mild case, and is well soon.

3 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

Ready to depart from Quebec City after a nice day of walking.

IMG_1967.thumb.jpeg.2a0e68b7c8f26ffd331bd164c2fffe83.jpeg

IMG_1966.thumb.jpeg.93e2f3bb07d8d7a2feed4c82c5b28935.jpeg

IMG_1961.thumb.jpeg.f96b86073c6697271954e962b34baeb7.jpeg

IMG_1962.thumb.jpeg.13557de75b6d260a4a6ad26e8f466bc9.jpeg

IMG_1959.thumb.jpeg.92cfb93e13a2611a4db3f12ee31dd690.jpeg

IMG_1947.thumb.jpeg.bc337c752b6c0ae22e889bfb761bfe20.jpeg

Tony, thanks for the great pictures from Quebec .

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, I sorry you DDIL tested positive, and I hope the rest of the family stays negative.  I also hope your DDIL has a very mild case, and is well soon.

Thank you Lenda. I hope she has a mild case too.   Other than DS, I don't think anyone else in the family has been with Kris recently, so I think the rest of us are ok.  

I'm glad you had a nice anniversary dinner that your DH cooked perfectly. 🙂  Those are the best anniversary dinners IMHO. 🙂 

• Like 13