The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 28th, 2023

richwmn

24 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Are you sure that is for the VISA we need for cruising? It sounds more like a VISA for a more permanent/work stay. That was brought up on our roll call and found not to be true. I will be applying for mine soon. And I will see if I can find the wording. 

I got my visa for the cruise using my cell phone without any of that. I think those rules are for people planning to stay for a period of time - or permanently. The eta (electronic travel authorization) is not easy to do with the photo requirement, but if I can do it - anyone can.

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It's another drizzly morning here in the PNW.  Yesterday we had some major downpours in the area.  I've turned the heat on for the first time, seems early.  We usually get past September before I have to do that.  😞  

I'm more of a wine drinker, but do love Guinness occasionally.  It's the only beer I'll drink.  We have wonderful neighbors on both sides and across the street.  We and the neighbors to the right and left have been here 30 years now, the others nearly as long, a couple of us are original owners of the homes.    I love Swedish meatballs, will print off one of the recipes -- thanks Debbie @dfish!  Also love any NZ Sauvignon Blanc, so I know I'd like this one.  Will pass on the drink.  The Beatles are my favorite group, and I was lucky enough to see them in person when I was 14 at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. 

I'm amazed that Vanessa @JazzyV knew it was our anniversary yesterday -- Vanessa you must have meticulous notes!!  Thank you again.  We had a nice dinner out and DH surprised me with a beautiful bouquet of roses.

Today we plan to do some clothes shopping for DH for the Grand Australia.  And yesterday we put in our order for Luggage Forward, they will pick up our bags on Dec. 14.  We have unlimited luggage forwarding...uh, to be sure we have enough, we're having them pick up 6 large suitcases....who knows where we'll put all this stuff, but I'd rather have too much than not enough.  If we don't need that many, we just let them know.  We'll also have 2 carry-on bags.  We've never been gone 94 days before.  A lot of it will be games, crafts etc. to do on sea days, some things for the children on Fanning Island.  

I'm thinking of Lenda and Steve @Quartzsite Cruiser today as he has the shunt placed.  I was too late to post on yesterday's thread but I'm thinking of you!

Roy @rafinmd Safe travels and Bon Voyage!  So happy you're doing this.

@Denise T I'm sorry you were sick yesterday, I hope you're feeling much better.

We were in Bergen in 2019 on our 50th anniversary cruise.  That day we walked from the ship to the funicular, back down the hill and to the ship.  It was a nice day!

My favorite scene on our walk

Gazebo.thumb.jpg.dca911e724e2b83c0d03fc8800fe72c1.jpg

Past a park full of pigeons

Bergenwalk.jpg.9390a485474d9f9b9603907da1ff3aa6.jpg

Unusual (for us) McDonalds

McDonalds.jpg.c40c59c9c705ea641b360604ef780aa4.jpg

Loved this sign ("This way That way")

signthiswaythatway.jpg.c693842abc14a1916a6452ea64b7648c.jpg

The line for the funicular

lineforfunicular.jpg.5835aa6d72c308b4dc609c10a04ebfa8.jpg

Going up...

funicularview.thumb.jpg.1bdc403f89c33e02804287a612f7cc52.jpg

And at the top

Bergenview.jpg.cda3a3d5c570d2879a7d7a59ffd943ad.jpg

Lovely mini waterfalls

waterfallBergen.thumb.jpg.f5e0cc662c6057bf6bf101ef3862918e.jpg

I found a friend 😉  

Me.thumb.jpg.b71475c95881fb5bbbf11f425b463378.jpg

Very nice and easy path

easypath.jpg.0e409f83cd54841f8b38b0e16624feed.jpg

And coming back down, a view of the Nieuw Statendam

theNS.jpg.36da95f97477f594905fc8d1f2d94160.jpg

Nice photos.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

You sound like we did when we did GSA.   I hope that your ship has extra storage so that you can have your stewards get them out of your cabin.   We had ours stored but John left needed cold medicine in one of his and he had to have it hauled back.  It sure was wonderful to be able to walk off the ship at 7:45 AM and get to a cab. 

Thank you Nancy, I have a feeling we won't need that many bags, but we'll see. I'm not usually an over-packer, but we'll be having a lot of sea days too.   I know we'll be keeping a lot of things like gifts, souvenirs and extra toiletries inside bags under the bed and we'll be using every single storage space we can find. 🤣

• Like 20

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We' be been back in Pre-op for about an hour.  At looks like the surgery will be at 1pm instead of noon.  It should take about an hour plus 30 minutes in recovery.

Carolyn, thank you for the good wishes.  Beautiful pictures of Bergen.  That McDonald's is our go to place for a coke.

Joy, sorry about the tour hassles.  Besides bugging shorex, I wonder if calling them special needs department would help or cause more problems.

Susan, the good and positive thoughts are much appreciated.

Thank you for the good wished.  And thank you for reminding us about how well your sister did with the shunt.

Thank you, Penny.

Brenda, thank you.  I couldn't get his to go below your post.

Best wishes to you both Lenda.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

I got my visa for the cruise using my cell phone without any of that. I think those rules are for people planning to stay for a period of time - or permanently. The eta (electronic travel authorization) is not easy to do with the photo requirement, but if I can do it - anyone can.

Susan

I did a Google search and I got the feeling too that that requirement is for people planning on staying for awhile.  

We're waiting to do ours because we plan on getting new cell phones before we leave.  Unless we did it without the cell phone app --- someone on the roll call said he did that.  I really, really hate doing things like that on my phone...

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cruising-along said:

I did a Google search and I got the feeling too that that requirement is for people planning on staying for awhile.  

We're waiting to do ours because we plan on getting new cell phones before we leave.  Unless we did it without the cell phone app --- someone on the roll call said he did that.  I really, really hate doing things like that on my phone...

Since both Australia and New Zealand have sent me emails welcoming me I think I am all set.

Susan

• Like 23

Just checked the video display on the progress of all the surgeries by case number.  If said dressing is complete.  Next is recovery.

28 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser

Lenda

hope all goes well with Steve & his recovery is rapid & complete!

Many thanks, Ann.

20 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Best wishes to you both Lenda.

Thank you, Graham.

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Just checked the video display on the progress of all the surgeries by case number.  If said dressing is complete.  Next is recovery.

Many thanks, Ann.

Thank you, Graham.

Lenda

Good news Lenda.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Well, my bags are packed, I am ready to go, and I am leaving' on a jet plane!!😀  (Maybe I will burst out in song! - but not the way I sing!). Amazing that I could upload my passport for ArriveCan, but not for United Airlines for boarding pass!  Oh well, since I am flying first class because of the long overnight flight, then United can deal with everything at the airport!

Thoughts and prayers for @Quartzsite Cruiserfor the best surgery outcome and recovery.  Be careful on your drive home.  Also sending more healing wishes for @smitty34877for peace in this new chapter, and hopes that Tana remains stable with her IPF.

Don't know how much I will be able to post after boarding the Zuiderdam, but know I will be trying to keep current by reading the FR&D.  I had problems with the Navigator app in April aboard the Rotterdam!

Keep well, everyone and have a blessed few days!

Mary Kay

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thank you very much.  They called me from the operating room to say he was doing well after being sedated and intubated.  The Daily is helping me pass the time.  I just wish they didn't jeep hospitals so darn cold.

Thank you,  Nancy.

Lenda

I learned to always wear heavy socks and bring my fleece!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@dfish, Debbie, I would add the sautéed onions to the ground meat. I bet it would  be good in the sauce as well ,,,,,hmmmm..

I was thinking the same thing.  Great minds, Terry!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Nice to know that the Daily has come through again keeping you occupied while Steve was in surgery.  I mentioned how cold it was in the operating room when I had my last surgery and they said it was because the lights gave off so much heat the surgeon and nurses would get too hot.  Then they gave me the drugs to put me out and boy, do they work fast.  I could feel myself going down.  

I tried to get the old post light off the post so I can install the new one, but I need more brawn than Sue and I together have.  We may have to call in Peter from across the street.  He's a woodsman by nature and generally outside sawing up trees that have fallen on his property.  He has a double lot or maybe triple and lives in a clearing in the middle of it. The rest of it is all natural.  You can't see the house in the summer time.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Well, it seems like things moved very quickly today on the Fleet Report and Daily.  Train actually left about 20 minutes late and arrived about 10 minutes late.  Hotel checkin is supposed to be 4PM and I thought they were rigid about that but I got there about 2:20 and my room was ready.  Getting organized at the hotel and a bit bushed but otherwise unscathed.

Glad to hear the surgery went well and I hope the results will be great.  Passed @Lady Hudson's ship on the way but no view of it.  Hope DH is doing well.

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I sometimes like to drink a beer. I hope we can all be good neighbors. Public Lands are important. Good quote. I like the meal and drink (not sure about the bourbon) and pass on the wine. I haven't been to Bergen. I'm a Beatles fan and like "Hey Jude".

It's slightly warmer here now (69) with a bit of sun here and there. I slept a bit better, due to all the Benadryl for my injection; so I only had pain on awakening. I spent the morning packaging up something I sold on ebay. Then it was go to PT, then UPS. I see my hip x-rays have come back normal, which is good.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for posting your and Lenda's pictures from Bergen.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Prayers for you and Steve for his procedure today to be successful and uncomplicated. 

@rafinmd Safe travels today.

@Denise T I hope you feel better soon.

@RMLincoln Lots to do, but you're very organized. Impressive.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. Lovely photos of the lake and nature.

@1ANGELCAT Yuengling (lite) is my usual order for beer when eating out (if I'm having beer).

@cruising sister Thanks for the photos.

@smitty34877 Thanks for the meatball info from your GM. I hope Tana is doing a bit better. 

@Cruising-along It sounds like you had a lovely anniversary celebration. Nice Bergen photos.

@Seasick Sailor Sorry to hear about the issues getting accessible excursions.

@Vict0riann Nice photos.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

A photo from the Hofbrauhaus in Munich, 2013, in honor of beer day.

0041b-(MB)cropped.thumb.jpg.3042430aaa2b3a0043d4603aa8b49cdb.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

I'm back in recovery with Steve.  He us still having a lot of pain.  The meds are helping ease it.  I meets to get down to a level 4 before we head to a regular room.  

Thanks to everyone for all the good wishes.   I'm not naming everyone since the phone battery is getting low.  I'll charge it when we got tovtje room.

I have long pants and a long sleeved shirt, but they are in the bottom of the bag.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon all, just back from Hershey. The appointment was for 2:00 and actually went back early. This one was a little more painful than the first one, but he upped the dosage and said he can increase it again. The third one is scheduled for December 22, he said as long as there’s progress Medicare will keep paying. He wants to hear from me in 2 weeks for a progress report. It’s amazing that this time I don’t have to negotiate for an appointment time that works for me. I really like this doctor, he really takes time to explain everything.

@Quartzsite Cruiser, glad to hear it went smoothly.

@rafinmd, I hope you have a great cruise.

Edited by 1ANGELCAT
  • Like 25

Good afternoon from a cool, damp day in Wisconsin.  We've had a lot of rain the last few days, hopefully it helps with the drought we're having!  I've changed my user name...used to be Ktbraun! 

I might have to have a beer tonite to celebrate Beer day!  @JazzyVThat beer looks great, we were there also, a few years back.  I'll also take some Swedish Meatballs!  I've never been to Ikea, but, can you buy them ready to go?  Might have to try that if it's possible.  Never been to Norway, but the pictures today look great.  My mom's family was from Norway.  Looks like a great place to visit!  We have great neighbors all around us!  

@Quartzsite Cruisergood to hear that your DH is done with surgery, prayers that all goes well for him.  

@rafinmdI've bookmarked your pages, have fun, and safe travels!  Relax and come back refreshed!  

Have a great evening, Karen

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1