The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday October 12th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning all!

Like many here, I've put my favorite recipes into a binder.  I still have some cookbooks but don't use them often -- the internet and my "tried and true" are used more often.  I'll pass on the drink but would like the wine and meal.  No idea what we'll be having tonight, will figure that out later!  

Last night as tired as I was, I thought for sure I'd have a good night's sleep.  Nope.  Not as bad as the night before, but awake way too often and for way too long.  The only reason I can think of is that even though the cruise is 82 days off, my mind won't turn off and let me sleep.  That and planning the holidays is keeping my mind "on"!  The only thing on the agenda today is a dental cleaning this afternoon.

I'm so sorry to hear that so many Dailyites are in pain.  

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser Very good to hear that your DH had a good report from the doctor!

Lorraine @cruising sister Happy birthday and enjoy celebrating with family tomorrow!

@Haljo1935 I wish your DH knew that nobody is immune to pickpockets.  Even Rick Steves, the European travel guru, has told about how he was taken by surprise and pickpocketed -- and he knows all the tricks.  We've come close, but have been lucky/vigilant whenever we're in crowded areas and we follow all the advice given here.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Cold here today.... high expected of 48F although I hope it will be somewhat warmer. Have turned the heaters on. Still no moisture in the forecast for here although north of us and in the High Country the snows are on the way. I think the soup would be just the thing this evening but I don't have all the fixins. Need to restock.

Dogs got me up at 5 this morning to go out. Got sort of dressed, put leashes on the boys, opened to the door and there were 2 of the biggest raccoons I have ever seen. They were just standing on the patio. Slammed the door!!! Took the dogs back upstairs and waited for 10 minutes then tried again. Rackity coons were gone although we saw them across the road a little later. Not happy as they carry rabies, distemper and are really mean if they think they are cornered. They were a lot bigger than my dogs.  One more thing to watch for in the dark. I am carrying my bear spray although the bears seem to have moved into their dens. But then there is always the holdout.

Take care all and my prayers being sent to all who need them.  I think I envy those who are cruising although there is a lot of uncertainty right now. Makes planning for anything somewhat difficult.

Susan

• Like 20

5 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Dixie, I'm sorry about that.  I knew your name is Dixie.  I don't know what I was thinking.  Maybe that is the problem -- I wasn't thinking.  

Lenda

No problem...Lots of stress going around this board.  We all need a BHB for a couple of weeks of pampering.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Look forward to a gray cool morning on Sunday. Had a tornado alert on my phone at 12:17 AM. Said to quickly shelter. At five minutes out we were in the bullseye. Fortunately the tornado lifted back in the clouds before it arrived!

Like the Sears comment. The catalog was the fore runner to Amazon. In 1971 I was on a project in Memphis that built a million square foot Sears Catalog Distribution Center. I guess it is now owned by Amazon!

Oh my! Tornados going through our area early this AM!

IMG_1340.thumb.jpeg.cbdb1496545d81ffb01dfcd7eba3ab96.jpegIMG_1342.thumb.jpeg.49bc670479936182e498cd9abae367a8.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 10

2 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

IMG_1340.thumb.jpeg.cbdb1496545d81ffb01dfcd7eba3ab96.jpegIMG_1342.thumb.jpeg.49bc670479936182e498cd9abae367a8.jpeg

I'm glad you weren't in the path, but sorry for those who were.  My town hasn't recovered from the tornado in January.  The apartment across the road from our Kroger store still has crushed roofs with blue tarps on them, dozens of them.  I have no idea why insurance hasn't moved that project along.  The Hobby Lobby is still out of business too and it looks like it's still open to the elements.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 11

53 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@superoma Apple cranberry jam sounds delish.  Any chance you could share the recipe?  Thanks.

Absolutely

Apple cranberry jam

1 bag of cranberries

2 apples peeled, cored and grated

1 cup of sugar

1/2 cup of orange juice

1tsp grated orange zest (I seldom have oranges at home so skip this)

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

in a medium saucepan over medium heat dissolve the sugar in the orange juice. Stir in the cranberries and the rest of the ingredients. Cook until the cranberries pop.

remove from heat. Spoon into sterilized jars and water bath process for 5 minutes. Any unsealed jars will keep in the fridge just like any jam.

yields about 3 cups of jam. I like to put my jam in small jars so I can have a couple of flavours open in the fridge at a time.

enjoy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7

Good morning and thanks all!  We’ve been to Costa Maya a couple of times, nice beach. 

@cruising sister happy birthday!  Hope the surgery is early and successful!

@Quartzsite Cruiser glad your DH had good news, May the healing

continue.

@RedneckBob yikes, glad you’re safe! 

@marshhawk safe travels!  You’ve had lots of great advice, now go and enjoy!  Italy is one of our Favourite places.  

@Haljo1935 DH was pickpocketed in Italy and caught the guy.   We were very glad the valuables were under our clothes in a money belt.  It can and does happen to anyone.  

This is the type DH likes, it attaches to his belt and worn inside his pants.  Fits passport, credit cards and cash.  We keep a few euros in a change purse to buy water etc.   Then there are O worries!

image.thumb.png.343e5b09b68d697884da327f6644aa09.png

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

After a busy and slightly sad morning, I'm finally able to settle down and read the newer post on the Daily.  I went up to the auto repair shop this morning to clean out all the stuff from our "fishing" car.  It is a 1995 Volvo turbo station wagon that has given us a lot of good service.  The needed parts are no longer available, and at 28 1/2 years old, the plastic used for the fuel lines are hard and brittle with parts flaking off. 

The plan was for either the auto shop or us to donate the car to a charity.  However, that is not possible since it's against the law to donate a car with a gas leak.  The only thing that kept the line from the fuel filter from rupturing was the metal panel underneath.  The shop owner knows someone who will buy it for scrap which we agreed to do.  It was either that or finding someone to buy it for scrap ourselves.  We'll get some money out if it, but not a lot, but it's better than nothing.   The sad thing is the engine is still in good shape.  I think the engines in those cars are pretty indestructible.

3 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Cloudy and windy here at the coast. No rain as yet and no tornadoi warnings. I am  suppose to go to Orlando this afternoon for an appointment and I am debating cancelling it. There is nothing worse than being on the Beeline (528)in a storm!

Hope you stay safe and out of harms way.

Charlene, stay safe during this bad weather.

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser I am not going to give up on dealing with the VA.  I have learned to either work through or around their onerous procedures.  When I was diagnosed with leukemia associated with Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam, the VA recommended that I work with DAV (Disabled American Veterans) to put in a claim for benefits.  That worked very well.  Some things, like hearing loss are not covered by Medicare or Tricare, but are covered by the VA.  Took close to a year, but finally got the VA to take care of my hearing aids.  Once approved, no problem to get them to handle the cost.  Later today I will get on the phone again with them.  I am a member of our local DAV chapter, so that is another option.

Ray

Ray, I'm glad you have a way and the patience to work around the VA.  We tried last year to get the VA to pay for DH's one expensive drug.  All the red tape and hassle meant he would be off the drug before any coverage was approved.  It shouldn't be that hard to help our veterans.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. Cold here today.... high expected of 48F although I hope it will be somewhat warmer. Have turned the heaters on. Still no moisture in the forecast for here although north of us and in the High Country the snows are on the way. I think the soup would be just the thing this evening but I don't have all the fixins. Need to restock.

Dogs got me up at 5 this morning to go out. Got sort of dressed, put leashes on the boys, opened to the door and there were 2 of the biggest raccoons I have ever seen. They were just standing on the patio. Slammed the door!!! Took the dogs back upstairs and waited for 10 minutes then tried again. Rackity coons were gone although we saw them across the road a little later. Not happy as they carry rabies, distemper and are really mean if they think they are cornered. They were a lot bigger than my dogs.  One more thing to watch for in the dark. I am carrying my bear spray although the bears seem to have moved into their dens. But then there is always the holdout.

Take care all and my prayers being sent to all who need them.  I think I envy those who are cruising although there is a lot of uncertainty right now. Makes planning for anything somewhat difficult.

Susan

Susan, I'm glad that parts of Colorado are getting some much needed moisture.  

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

No problem...Lots of stress going around this board.  We all need a BHB for a couple of weeks of pampering.

Dixie, in my case, I think I need at least a couple of months on a BHB being pampered.  One can always hope.

57 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

RNB, I'm glad the tornadoes did not get to you.

I hope all those in Florida stay safe from the storms and tornadoes.

Lenda

• Like 18

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I have lots of cookbooks, including some of my DM's with her handwritten notes in them. And binders with many recipes from online. We should all try to save if we can. A salute to farmers old and young. I like the quote. I like the meal. Pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Costa Maya. Important days in history.

It's 61F and partly sunny now. I had a not too bad night. I was awakened by my neighbor's tree service, taking down a few trees. Yay! One was half dead and leaning toward my house. Maybe I'll have less leaves to round up now. I just got off the phone with a dietician that my GI PA wanted me to talk too; all stuff I know, it's just doing it. I really need to increase my fluid intake. I didn't remember to take my RA injection until almost bedtime, so I need to do that today.

@cruising sister Happy Birthday!

@summer slope I'm glad your reaction to the shots seems to be minor.

@RMLincoln Congrats on signing with a realtor. It gets real now! Nice sunset. Safe trip to NY.

@StLouisCruisers Lovely photos. 

@smitty34877 Yay for heat! Continued prayers for you and the family.

@marshhawk Have safe travels to Rome.

@Haljo1935 I'm glad your neck feels better, but sorry the shoulder pain and foot numbness continues. 

@dfish I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a good night; I was so tired from the prior night that I slept pretty well. I'd love to finish my quilt; it's all hand done and I can't see me doing the rest by hand. Do you have plans for the hernia getting taken care of? Thanks for the recipes. 

@rafinmd Enjoy your last full day on your cruise.

@RedneckBob To you and all others near tornados, stay safe!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Aww, sorry about the "fishing" car, but it gave you many years of service. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

MariaShriverquote.jpg.a41c05eeaf94b60dca47c6df10d4b8e5.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Happy Wednesday from a cool, dreary day in Wisconsin.  It's drizzling now, and the  forecast is for lots of rain the next 2 days, maybe up to 3 inches!  Bad forecast for Friday night high school football.  Our team is tied for 1st place and plays the other team in 1st tomorrow night.   @RedneckBobthose pictures look scary!  Happy Birthday to @cruising sister  Haven't been to Costa Maya, but our church body has a mission there, it's thriving and growing, that's a blessing!  I have church friends who took a cruise with that as a port, they got to see the new mission and visit the people there.  @dfishthe first taco soup recipe looks good, I have it bookmarked, it is getting to be soup season.  I have a new dutch oven to use for soups and bread making.  I have lots of saved recipes from the computer, have thinned out the cookbooks to just the favorites.  

@marshhawkEnjoy your travels, Bon Voyage! 

Have a good rest of the day, Karen

• Like 18

Good Morning to All!  (it is still morning here!!)  Thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  I no longer use cookbooks as I download recipes onto my computer THOUGH I did buy a Mexican cookbook from a vlogger I follow (and a digital Chinese cookbook from another vlogger).  Maybe I can save an old farmer and combine the 2 celebrations!

I think about the quote way too often as I feel I am getting too old and I shouldn't feel that way.  The soup and wine sound interesting but I will pass on the drink.  Never been to Costa Maya.  Cool days in history.

Thanks to All for the birthday wishes!!  I wish I could list everyone but....  Know that your wishes were fondly received!!  Happy Birthday to @cruising sister and safe travels to @marshhawk.  I am terrified of tornados so those were scary to me.  Stay safe @RedneckBob.

Found out yesterday that subbing more than 3.5 hours gives me a full day of pay.  Amazing!!  So full day for yesterday and my subbing gig tomorrow!!  My dryer quit on me halfway through a load; hopefully, the management company will get me another one soon but I haven't heard anything yet.  My cat Martina has been so clingy to me since I have been back.  Oh, my, I don't know how to tell her I will be leaving again in 40 days!!

Was going to go out to a new restaurant last night for my BD but didn't.  Maybe tonight.  I am such a homebody!!  The weather is getting cooler in the mornings so on my way to the gym this morning I though "Brrrr.  Maybe a jacket next time?"

Off to get some cleaning done.  Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers for those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 19

31 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good Morning to All!  (it is still morning here!!)  Thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  I no longer use cookbooks as I download recipes onto my computer THOUGH I did buy a Mexican cookbook from a vlogger I follow (and a digital Chinese cookbook from another vlogger).  Maybe I can save an old farmer and combine the 2 celebrations!

I think about the quote way too often as I feel I am getting too old and I shouldn't feel that way.  The soup and wine sound interesting but I will pass on the drink.  Never been to Costa Maya.  Cool days in history.

Thanks to All for the birthday wishes!!  I wish I could list everyone but....  Know that your wishes were fondly received!!  Happy Birthday to @cruising sister and safe travels to @marshhawk.  I am terrified of tornados so those were scary to me.  Stay safe @RedneckBob.

Found out yesterday that subbing more than 3.5 hours gives me a full day of pay.  Amazing!!  So full day for yesterday and my subbing gig tomorrow!!  My dryer quit on me halfway through a load; hopefully, the management company will get me another one soon but I haven't heard anything yet.  My cat Martina has been so clingy to me since I have been back.  Oh, my, I don't know how to tell her I will be leaving again in 40 days!!

Was going to go out to a new restaurant last night for my BD but didn't.  Maybe tonight.  I am such a homebody!!  The weather is getting cooler in the mornings so on my way to the gym this morning I though "Brrrr.  Maybe a jacket next time?"

Off to get some cleaning done.  Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers for those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!!

@NickelpennyA belated Happy Birthday!🎂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Having just eaten some pizza (Papa Murphy) right now food does not appeal. My appetite seems down these days.... wonder if that will continue when I don't have to prepare it or wash dishes.

Just was able to make an appointment for my Covid shot. Earlier than I wished in terms of cruising, but we have very limited resources here, I may be traveling in November, and Covid cases are rising in number here in Durango. Hopefully it will last for 6 months until I am home again after the cruise.

Need to walk dogs and myself.... I have been in too much today. Current temp is 54 and the sun is out so we should all enjoy it. Have to pick up a friend around 3. She is having cataract surgery and was absolutely scared to death. Will head out to hospital earlier in case she is ready to go although she could call me. Several of us have had the surgery and tried to reassure her but she was not taking it well. Another friend took her in - thankfully.

Susan

• Like 16

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a good night; I was so tired from the prior night that I slept pretty well. I'd love to finish my quilt; it's all hand done and I can't see me doing the rest by hand. Do you have plans for the hernia getting taken care of? Thanks for the recipes. 

Vanessa, I have a quilt that I started in 2007 and finished in 2020 while recuperating from knee replacement surgery.  I worked on it in small segments of time.  As soon as my hands stiffened up, I took a break.  Picked it up again later on.  I would work on it while watching TV.  The break might be just laying it in my lap and then 20 minutes later starting to sew a bit more.  The current quilt will not be hand done.  I'm using the sewing machine to piece it and will send it out for quilting as it is too big for my machine.  Now, it may take me a couple of years to finish the binding on it because that has to be hand sewn.  

I have an appointment tomorrow with my PCP concerning the hernia and the hip pain.  I want a referral to the Spine and Pain clinic and think they will be able to help.  I'll probably get a referral to my friend, the surgeon.  He's an endocrine surgeon but also does general surgery.  He's going to start thinking of me as a bad penny.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser Sorry about the fishing car.  You got great service from that car and now it is time for it to rest. 

@Nickelpenny Sorry about the dryer.  I hope the appliance gremlin is not about to make another round of visits.  

Hearing all the cookbook talk, I think we should assemble a Daily Cookbook.  What do you think?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

The sun finally came out, and it is 81F with a 20mph wind from the south.  No wonder I had trouble opening the storm door on the front of the house.  I should be able to get out and finish the flowerbeds, replant the iris and trim the Silverado sage tomorrow morning and still make my 3pm appointment for the pneumonia vaccine.    

@dfish Debbie, and @JazzyV Vanessa, yes it was a little sad about the fishing car, but it was good to us for almost 30 years and gave reliable service until this summer.  It's earned a good rest.  And after the hail damage, cosmetic mainly, we didn't need to worry where we parked.  I doubt if we could tell if there was a a new ding.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Having just eaten some pizza (Papa Murphy) right now food does not appeal. My appetite seems down these days.... wonder if that will continue when I don't have to prepare it or wash dishes.

Just was able to make an appointment for my Covid shot. Earlier than I wished in terms of cruising, but we have very limited resources here, I may be traveling in November, and Covid cases are rising in number here in Durango. Hopefully it will last for 6 months until I am home again after the cruise.

Need to walk dogs and myself.... I have been in too much today. Current temp is 54 and the sun is out so we should all enjoy it. Have to pick up a friend around 3. She is having cataract surgery and was absolutely scared to death. Will head out to hospital earlier in case she is ready to go although she could call me. Several of us have had the surgery and tried to reassure her but she was not taking it well. Another friend took her in - thankfully.

Susan

Susan, I hope your friend did well with her cataract surgery.  I don't like anything near my eye, but so far I haven't needed that surgery -- yet.

38 minutes ago, dfish said:

Vanessa, I have a quilt that I started in 2007 and finished in 2020 while recuperating from knee replacement surgery.  I worked on it in small segments of time.  As soon as my hands stiffened up, I took a break.  Picked it up again later on.  I would work on it while watching TV.  The break might be just laying it in my lap and then 20 minutes later starting to sew a bit more.  The current quilt will not be hand done.  I'm using the sewing machine to piece it and will send it out for quilting as it is too big for my machine.  Now, it may take me a couple of years to finish the binding on it because that has to be hand sewn.  

I have an appointment tomorrow with my PCP concerning the hernia and the hip pain.  I want a referral to the Spine and Pain clinic and think they will be able to help.  I'll probably get a referral to my friend, the surgeon.  He's an endocrine surgeon but also does general surgery.  He's going to start thinking of me as a bad penny.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser Sorry about the fishing car.  You got great service from that car and now it is time for it to rest. 

@Nickelpenny Sorry about the dryer.  I hope the appliance gremlin is not about to make another round of visits.  

Hearing all the cookbook talk, I think we should assemble a Daily Cookbook.  What do you think?

I hope your appointment tomorrow with your PCP goes well and you get the referrals you need.  

The cookbook sounds like a good idea.  It would be a bit of work for someone(s) to coordinate and edit.  Then, there is the taste testing.  

Lenda

• Like 17

Good afternoon and Happy Thursday. Craig and I went out for lunch at my favorite place for tacos. Special was a blood orange margarita, so good, and 3 tacos for $11. Can’t beat that. 

Vanessa @JazzyV, about your comment yesterday, I enjoy cooking and love researching new recipes but if I was just cooking for myself I wouldn’t cook every day. 

I am a huge cookbook collector and have too many. I enjoy reading them more than cooking from them. I feel inspired when I research something new. Making the char siu was one such project. 

My DM’s side of the family were huge farmers and many were old. My grandfather, DM’s father, died in 1934 of dust pneumonia. The older boys found him after his horse came home without him.  My Grandparents circa 1928.5667D12D-FC7E-4E8F-8158-84C7824560EB.thumb.jpeg.703a7944110df8d75c5b3ffdadb74a8a.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

@dfishgood luck at the doctor tomorrow!

@Quartzsite Cruisersorry about the car. It can be weirdly sentimental when you have to part with a vehicle. So many memories.

@NickelpennyI'm so bad at writing down recipes! I have made delicious meals that I have  never been able to recreate because I can't find the online recipe I used 😆

@RedneckBobglad you didn't get that tornado. We were good here too, but I was shocked at how many warnings there were. That was an intense storm system.

@Haljo1935i hope your foot is better before you go. "Don't stress" is very easy advice to give and very hard advice to take! I'm sure everything will be great on the trip.

@StLouisCruisersgreat pictures of Chacchoben. Made me reminisce about taking an excursion there a few years ago.

@cruising sisterHappyBirthday!

Best wishes and strength to everyone here who is is struggling  and in pain. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Thanks everyone for your concerns about our bad weather. It was quite a day. Our local weatherperson said there were 34 separate tornado warnings from Tampa to Ocala to the east coast since mid nite.  Also this AM, we had a huge rainstorm for an hour, it was 83 degrees with a heat index of 98 degrees. Only in Florida!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon,

I'm home from the dental checkup and cleaning -- good for another 6 months. 🙂  Our dentist is always SO interested in our cruises, where we've been and where we'll be going.  I know he can't wait until he retires (he's probably only in his mid 40's) because he almost drools when he hears about our plans.

I heard from my sister after DBIL had his appointment at Fred Hutch in Seattle (2nd opinion after seeing the Bellingham doctor where they live).  They saw a radiologist, surgeon, and oncologist, and all 3 agreed that the best treatment for DBIL's prostate cancer is radiation plus hormone therapy.  His cancer is very aggressive, a 9 out of 10 and surgery wouldn't get it all and he'd need to have radiation anyway.  They're very happy with the decision, and Fred Hutch will set it up with their recommended radiologist and oncologist in Bellingham.  

@RedneckBob Add me to the list who are relieved you weren't affected by the tornadoes.  34 -- yikes!

I love the idea of a Dailyite cookbook!  We have so many wonderful cooks here. 🙂  

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The cookbook sounds like a good idea.  It would be a bit of work for someone(s) to coordinate and edit.  Then, there is the taste testing.  

33 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I love the idea of a Dailyite cookbook!  We have so many wonderful cooks here. 🙂  

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Great idea!

I'm thinking we'll have lots of volunteers for the taste testing.  I don't mind compiling it.  

• Like 10
  • Haha 1