Mac and Cheese anyone?

IMG_20231105_212152.thumb.jpg.4a375a9e864d90200b7b721ab3b46f62.jpgI am currently on Symphony ots. Last night on the main dinning room entree menu, not children menu, there was an item of "lobster Mac and Cheese". The bowl was very small, smaller than the onion soup bowl, about 3/4 full of Mac with some source. There was no sign of chopped or ground meat with the Mac. I am half way to Pinnacle. I am going to fold.

• Like 6

I had this last night on Odessey TA.   It had a good lobster flavor and a few small pieces of lobster, but very little cheese flavor.  In fact it was kind of oily and looked it was made from a kraft Mac & cheese.   Although to be fair, the Kraft Mac & cheese is way cheesier!

Sherri🙂

Edited by sjb317
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, jerseyjjs said:

Did they give you the partially full Kraft Mac & Cheese box?

There might have been 1/4 of the box😂.

The people sitting next to us were not impressed with it either.

Sherri🙂

Just got back from Vision of the Seas and tried the lobster mac & cheese the one evening. What I got was a small bowl on a large plate that contained undercooked pasta shells with what looked like an overgenerous amount of lobster bisque (soup), with no cheese, and little specks of unidentifiable stuff that may have been meant to imitate lobster. It was definitely a fail, and certainly was unlike any mac & cheese I've ever seen, let alone lobster M&C! There was no meltiness, no cheesiness, and little flavor. Of course, I sent it back and tried something else.

FWIF, the mac n cheese in Chops isn't all that great either.  I've never had mac n cheese on any ship/any line that is equal to what any diner in the US can prepare from scratch. So as much as I love mac n cheese, it's not on my must haves during a cruise.

4 hours ago, spacetraveler said:

IMG_20231105_212152.thumb.jpg.4a375a9e864d90200b7b721ab3b46f62.jpgI am currently on Symphony ots. Last night on the main dinning room entree menu, not children menu, there was an item of "lobster Mac and Cheese". The bowl was very small, smaller than the onion soup bowl, about 3/4 full of Mac with some source. There was no sign of chopped or ground meat with the Mac. I am half way to Pinnacle. I am going to fold.

Hope you were able to finish dinner quickly and hit the Windjammer before it closed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

OP-I agree that is a sad excuse for an entrée. I hope you spoke to the waiter to ask for an alternate entrée.

Just a side note since you thought your C&A points are  somehow necessary for the conversation———that is the entrée that is to be served when someone is (as you put it)  halfway to Pinnacle. When you become 3/4 of the way, you’ll have a few more pieces of pasta. And, when you become Pinnacle a whole bowl. 😄

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, spacetraveler said:

Many tables ordered the same item. The food was delivered exactly. Food was bad overall. We were on Ovation a few weeks ago, bad food. RCL went with the Carnival's direction.

I wish... Carnival has a much better food options than Royal. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Hope you were able to finish dinner quickly and hit the Windjammer before it closed. 

The Mac & Cheese in the WJ is a lot better - especially if you throw some chicken into it😇🍗

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

FWIF, the mac n cheese in Chops isn't all that great either.  I've never had mac n cheese on any ship/any line that is equal to what any diner in the US can prepare from scratch. So as much as I love mac n cheese, it's not on my must haves during a cruise.

We love Chops (usually) and have been many times.  The Mac and Cheese in Chops is completely hit or miss.  Sometimes, there just isn't any flavor to it, but other times, it is really creamy and cheesy.  It certainly could be a little more consistent, but either seemed to be way better than what is represented in the picture of the main dining "entree" from the OP.

It is not a must-have, but if you are there and haven't tried it yet on a particular cruise, it is sometimes worth ordering because it can be quite different based on ship/cruise.

14 hours ago, shof515 said:

that looks like a side dish and not an entree

Looks like a child's meal. 

I hope you asked for a second entree!  

10 hours ago, bouhunter said:

All you can expect from MDR.  Period.  They will feed you but it won't be special.

Disagree.  We enjoyed the MDR last week.  

8 hours ago, orville99 said:

The Mac & Cheese in the WJ is a lot better - especially if you throw some chicken into it😇🍗

I wasn't crazy about the mac-and-cheese in the Windjammer.  It was bland.