Friday November 24th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Black Friday (US)

Today is Family Health History Day, Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day, and D.B. Cooper Day

If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.--E.B. White

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow-Cooked Salmon with Turnips and Swiss Chard
Drink of the Day - Nil Fashioned
Wine of the Day - 2016 Arboleda Cabernet Sauvignon
Destination of the Day - East London, South Africa

Today in History:
1639 1st observation of Transit of Venus by Jeremiah Horrocks and William Crabtree - helped establish size of the Solar System
1642 Dutch explorer Abel Tasman discovers Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania)
1859 English naturalist Charles Darwin publishes "On the Origin of Species" radically changing the view of evolution and laying the foundation for evolutionary biology

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Roseau, Dominica 08:00 - 17:00

Koningsdam

Ensenada, Baja California Mexico 07:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 11-25

Nieuw Statendam

Dry Dock - Palermo, Italy 00:00 - 23:59

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Callao-Lima, Peru eta 11-25

Rotterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 ,15:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Nawiliwili, Lihue, Kauai Island Hawaii eta 11-28

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Salvador de Bahia, Brazil eta 11-25

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Cape Town, South Africa eta 11-25

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Auckland, New Zealand eta 11-26

Westerdam

Singapore 7:00-16:00

1124World.png.9a39ebfc795693c807ca09b9ee6495c2.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 13

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, weaning CPAP

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill with urinary tract issues

Haljo1935 with gastro issue and her DH with bronchitis

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

Heartgrove testing positive for Covid post cruise

Dobiemom with sinus issues

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana’s pulmonary issues, recovering from pneumonia

Mamaofami’s DH Sam recovering after several hospitalizations

Cruising-along’s DBIL with prostate cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Himself!

Bon Voyage Niagarawine!

Bon Voyage Seasick Sailor!

Happy 61st Wedding Anniversary Vict0riann (Ann and Pat)

Happy Heavenly/Angel Birthday to Kazu’s DD DH Josẻ

Rafinmd debarking Rotterdam; auto-train home on Tuesday

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy extubated, weaning CPAP & can be held!

Haljo1935 in Rome prior to cruise

RMLincoln now at her new home/community in NJ

Quartzsite Cruiser (and Steve) back in Quartzsite with the new motorhome!

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Av8rix (Koningsdam Nov 25 to Jan 6) 10n Mexican Riviera & Sea of Cortez + 11n Mexican Riviera & Sea of Cortez + 5n Mexico + 16n Circle Hawaii Holiday

2 days for Haljo1935 (Nieuw Statendam Nov 26 to Dec 10) 14n Passage to America, celebrating tk cruiser’s birthday onboard

GTVCruiser (Koningsdam to Nov 25, B2B, Mexican Riviera & Classic Pacific Thanksgiving Coastal), Cruise Suzy (Eurodam to Nov 29, Southern Caribbean Wayfarer), arzz (Seabourn Sojourn to Dec 1, Leeward Island Jewels), Cruzin Terri (Oceania Vista to Dec 1, Caribbean Wanderlust Miami to Miami), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Dec 3, B2B, Barcelona to Lisbon, Lisbon to Miami), Himself (Rotterdam to Dec 3) Southern Caribbean Seafarer, Niagarawine(Rotterdam to Dec 3) Southern Caribbean Seafarer,  Nickelpenny (Volendam to Dec 10, Circle Hawaii) and Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14)51d B2B2B2B2B Southern Caribbean/PC Sunfarer (21n) + Eastern/Western Caribbean (14n) + Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer (16n)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

We've got a light dusting of snow but it should melt this afternoon as the temperature rises.  Bertie and I will go for a walk when the sun comes up.

I don't think I will be doing any Black Friday shopping.

It's important to know your family health history,  I think my talent is making wine disappear, I won't be celebrating DB Cooper.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing recipes.  Not sure about the drink and I hope I'll like the wine.

Prayers for our world.  I hope hostages will be released.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. I do hope you all enjoyed Thanksgiving as much as we did. As usual after eating I questioned why do I do this. Always eat too much and feel miserably stuffed. I believe Sue’s turkey was the best ever. She used a Jacques Pepin recipe and that is a keeper.

It’s 46 outside and like yesterday will only climb to low 60’s.

We have never participated in Black Friday and with our no gift exchange we don’t need to.

I’ve been to London but have not visited while on a cruise.

For many of us it is leftover night and weekend and more football.

Enjoy your holiday weekend and safe travels.

Thanks for the reports. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.40138af8a62a169b38c23bfb9ec6f966.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b3cd2fa5040076a3956d1fd9e21b408a.jpegimage.jpeg.8eeedb2316ffbc4fff742bd93c04121a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c87bb4a86d16b1ffbdd9a68aaf200e88.jpegimage.jpeg.387eb3a8cb0af1b44c1f97a6b868e14c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0b243bca9701f20d40c01d0a1acf47de.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 25

Good morning friends!  I hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving and are ready for Black Friday.  The weather is chilly at 42F and will be 61 with mostly sunny skies.  However the weather app threatens showers scattered around our area for the next hour or so.  Just trying to cover all bases I guess.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily including the special days we should celebrate today and the quote from E. B. White.  I will pass on the salmon with turnips and Swiss chard and the Nil Fashioned.  Oh yeah, I don't drink red wine either so you all can have my cabernet sauvignon.  A great day in history for our solar system, beautiful Tasmania and Charles Darwin.  Thanks go to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports today.

Wow, so many people leaving for their cruises today so Bon Voyage to Joy @Seasick Sailor, Father @Himself, and @Niagarawine!  Welcome back to U.S. soil Roy @rafinmd!  Happy 61st wedding anniversary Ann and Pat @Vict0riann!!  And let us remember Jose ( Jacqui @kazu) on his heavenly/angel birthday.🙏

Prayers said for those countries at war and the people being attacked.  May all the hostages return home soon and safely.  Prayers also for my friends here on the Daily in pain and others suffering.  I hope all the surgeries that are upcoming get here quickly.  Prayers too for my DB and friends Scott and Bob. 🙏  Cheers to those celebrating something and heading out for their cruises!🥂🚢  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for taking the time to note all our happenings!  Much appreciated!

The port today is East London, South Africa.  This is the third showing for it and the prior dates were Dec. 9, 2021 and Jan. 10, 2022, only a month apart actually.  I have not been there before and doubt I reschedule another Africa circumnavigation cruise.  The first times never happened due to Covid and I've sort of lost interest now.  But I do hope those who have been will post their photos for all to see.  Here are the links:

Have a happy, safe and well Friday y'all!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! It was a few degrees warmer this morning, and our sunrise was a gorgeous red-orange. Showers are expected, but the past two times showers were predicted, they never showed up. 

Yesterday was a great day and though not totally decorated - my Christmas tree is up. 

IMG_4133.jpeg.8c8df2e8ea4fe41418bf71d97be6118c.jpeg

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with our happenings. Praying that your medical team finds permanent relief for you. 

Today is filled with gym, Bindi walks and chores. I also need to do some Daily wine list work. 

IMG_2061.jpeg.bbca6c316fa8c3f449ac46fac6aeb3b7.jpeg

To close out our Thanksgiving Day…..

IMG_2062.jpeg.407deb52ec28f0f4d6947e12131f63b7.jpeg

IMG_2056.jpeg.05438ae9d1ea7b23fde60f47ba5a7ac5.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support, especially those suffering from debilitating pain. @smitty34877 Terry, praying for you, Tana, your family & support teams. I hope you were able to enjoy yesterday. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2016 Arboleda Cabernet Sauvignon

This Chilean Cab has lots of consumer fans. It is available from a decent number of brick & mortar stores starting with a reasonable price of $24.95.

Winemaker Notes

This bright, deep ruby-red Cabernet Sauvignon is very appealing on the nose with a complex character of black fruits. Pleasing aromas of black cherry, raspberry, tea leaf, tobacco, clove, chocolate and a soft smoky touch appear as it opens. This is a wine with great balance and structure, and its firm, fine-grained tannins contribute to its elegant texture, complemented by a full mid-palate and delightful juiciness.

92James Suckling

Blackcurrants and fresh herbs such as basil on the nose. Medium body, firm and silky tannins. Subtle complexity. Understated.

90Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon contains 5% Cabernet Franc and 4% Syrah from vines planted in 1999 on alluvial soils. It fermented in stainless steel with selected yeasts and matured in French barriques (25% new) for 12 months. It's serious, classical and balanced, produced in a more elegant and harmonious style. It's nicely textured, with elegance and high drinkability. Rating: 90+

• Like 18
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 7

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I've been to several South African ports but don't think East London is one of them.  Making final preparations for disembarking and I doubt if I'll be back to the thread until sometime after the 3PM hotel checkin.

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich

& thanks Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie & Ann.

It’s Black Friday here in Canada as well as the U.S.  A lot of the retailers have caught on to doing it.  I’ll be avoiding the stores, thank you very much.  There’s nothing I need really nor want.  

IMG_1680.thumb.jpeg.b4321c206b6591369f346094d867c19a.jpeg

Family health history is very important.  LOL @puppycanducruise I think I am in the same boat as you and my unique talent is making wine disappear 😂 as well as travel planning 😉   There’s a lot of truth in today’s quote.  the meal sounds delish.

OMG @JazzyV you must keep some kind of incredible records.  How the heck did you remember it was Jose’s birthday today?  thank you especially with all the pain you are going through ♥️  A bitter sweet day today but I will be enjoying some time with my BFF today so that will help.

IMG_1196.jpeg.faf3089ad29066936759f8d8cd0ad0c8.jpeg

Happy to say that Ivan and I went earlier yesterday and escaped the rain.  Just a mist.  Weatherman warns of very cold winter weather next week with a polar vortex hitting so I guess I better get out the dog coat I kept and make sure it will fit Ivan.🤞  If not, I will need to buy him a new one based on the temps they are calling for.

IMG_1675.jpeg.7f9e054783c83193834cf662cc03b5cf.jpeg

A bit of yard clean up, some errands before a rare lunch out are all that’s really on the agenda today.  Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health issues, pain, worries & those that need them. 🙏  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1683.jpeg.ae3fbce333dcc0c146384c2594f69a3a.jpeg

Have a great Friday everyone

• Like 27
  • Haha 11

Happy Friday! Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

Hope you all had an enjoyable Thanksgiving. Today I will be avoiding the Black Friday shoppers. The Christmas decorations will start going up today. This will be Fancy's first Christmas with us. Between her and the cats, the ornaments on the tree have to be unbreakable. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.001d518ada06edf173e8c9314a340a68.png

• Like 27
  • Haha 4

Brrrr this morning, Molly finished her business in record time. I will be going over to DS for dinner today. He is cooking a ham since they had turkey yesterday. I am ok with anything and what the DGK’s will eat is always mystery. 

Lots of celebrations today along with Bon Voyages. Hugs Jacqui, it will be a sentimental day. 

Prayers for those on care list and around the world. Have a great day!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Family health history is so important - I learned more about my birth family's health from my cousin when they visited last week.  I don't have a unique talent, in fact, I don't think I have any real talents.  Won't be celebrating D.B. Cooper.  

First of all, Happy Angel Birthday to Jose; I'm sorry we never got to meet you, as I'm sure we'd have really enjoyed the friendship.

Bon Voyage to @Himself, @Seasick Sailor and sweet Allan, and @Niagarawine!  Will we see any of you on the sail-away webcams?

Happy Anniversary to @VictOriann and Pat.

And Happy Turkey Hangover Day to all my American friends.  We did go out to KFC yesterday at lunch and tried their "Festive Chicken Burger".  Don't bother.  Although it was quite large (enough for 2 to share), we didn't think it lived up to the hype.  They used a garlic aioli and mushy (Stovetop) stuffing along with the cranberry sauce which made it quite smooshy (a technical culinary term). 

Not much on our agenda today - no real Black Friday shopping for us, although last night I did order a couple of pair of glasses from an online site.  If I can get 2 pair of bi-focal glasses for under $100, even if they only last a half year, I'm way ahead of the game.  Later this morning (once the sun rises), I have to take a hike up the ladder to where our outdoor light timer is to see what's wrong, as only some of our outdoor lighting is coming on.  I think it might be that the timer DH used to replace the other old one is now on it's way out and we'll have to replace it with a new one.  

I think I'll pass on the drink of the day, would like the wine, and would probably like the salmon minus the turnips and chard.  It's usually Friday night pizza night at our house, but friends are taking us out for dinner tonight.  Last week we spent time helping them with their wills and other personal business, and they want to take us out for dinner as a thank you.  I'm not sure what we'll be having, but it will be tasty and just fun to be with friends and good conversation.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, especially the hostages and those in the midst of wars.  Cheers to everyone with celebrations today.

Smooth Sailing!    ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry  

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

It is nice to have nothing to do this morning except what I want to do.  I enjoyed my traditional day after Thanksgiving breakfast of dressing and gravy.  I think that is my favorite part of Thanksgiving.  I did keep thinking yesterday that Mom would have been so happy as we had 5 out of 6 of us present for dinner.  She always made a point of telling us to be sure to stick together after she and dad were gone.

We won't be joining any Black Friday crowds today.  I never have participated in Black Friday.  Small Business Saturday will see us visit our favorite coffee and kitchen shop in downtown Midland.  Today we are putting up the Christmas trees.   We have three - one tall pencil tree in the living room, a regular tree in the dining room by the sliding glass doors, and a small tree in the family room.  River is looking forward to decorating.  

@Vict0riann

7cdcffcb63097ea3e9f629bf99578a0b.jpg.16208d82c622f92a1a9ece245f0ea6e8.jpg

@kazu Warm thoughts and hugs to you today on Jose's birthday.  Did he like cake?  What kind was his favorite?

Today's recipe comes from Bon Apetit but that kitchen is closed to me.  I did find it on another site.  I lucked out because generally those sites just list ingredients and direct you to Bon Apetit for the directions, but this one has both.    https://carrowgarryfarm.ie/recipes/slowcooked-salmon-w-turnips-chard

salmonwithturnipsandchard1.jpg.1d69e190f0834db3e786ac0da4d5aa53.jpg

Here's another take on it.  http://bevcooks.com/2016/01/seared-cod-with-swiss-chard-and-roasted-turnips/

salmonwithturnipsandswisschard2.thumb.jpg.264f9f67c169490e8553927e9c0d8300.jpg

This last recipe is missing the turnips, but you can add them in or substitute something you like better.  You can also do that with the greens.  https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/one-pan-garlic-butter-salmon-and-swiss-chard/

salmonwithturnipsandchard3.thumb.jpg.d35ac6cd24addaabcbefe1af9d36ae68.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is nice to have nothing to do this morning except what I want to do.  I enjoyed my traditional day after Thanksgiving breakfast of dressing and gravy.  I think that is my favorite part of Thanksgiving.  I did keep thinking yesterday that Mom would have been so happy as we had 5 out of 6 of us present for dinner.  She always made a point of telling us to be sure to stick together after she and dad were gone.

We won't be joining any Black Friday crowds today.  I never have participated in Black Friday.  Small Business Saturday will see us visit our favorite coffee and kitchen shop in downtown Midland.  Today we are putting up the Christmas trees.   We have three - one tall pencil tree in the living room, a regular tree in the dining room by the sliding glass doors, and a small tree in the family room.  River is looking forward to decorating.  

@Vict0riann

7cdcffcb63097ea3e9f629bf99578a0b.jpg.16208d82c622f92a1a9ece245f0ea6e8.jpg

@kazu Warm thoughts and hugs to you today on Jose's birthday.  Did he like cake?  What kind was his favorite?

Today's recipe comes from Bon Apetit but that kitchen is closed to me.  I did find it on another site.  I lucked out because generally those sites just list ingredients and direct you to Bon Apetit for the directions, but this one has both.    https://carrowgarryfarm.ie/recipes/slowcooked-salmon-w-turnips-chard

salmonwithturnipsandchard1.jpg.1d69e190f0834db3e786ac0da4d5aa53.jpg

Here's another take on it.  http://bevcooks.com/2016/01/seared-cod-with-swiss-chard-and-roasted-turnips/

salmonwithturnipsandswisschard2.thumb.jpg.264f9f67c169490e8553927e9c0d8300.jpg

This last recipe is missing the turnips, but you can add them in or substitute something you like better.  You can also do that with the greens.  https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/one-pan-garlic-butter-salmon-and-swiss-chard/

salmonwithturnipsandchard3.thumb.jpg.d35ac6cd24addaabcbefe1af9d36ae68.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Debbie

I loved your pictures of your family & feast. You are giving River some wonderful memories!

• Like 24

Good Morning from a cloudy and cool day at the beach

It is currently 68 degrees going to mid 70`s.  Cloudy all day.

No Black Friday shopping for me. Will do small business Saturday. There is a small family owned golf center that we like. Going to buy my DS a new club for Christmas.

It is very important to know family health history. Unfortunately it is difficult to get details from older relatives They just say, it was his time!

Had a very nice Thanksgiving yesterday. Today, I will take down the decorations and start on Christmas We do 2 trees, one in the living room and one in the family room . 

@Vict0riann A very Happy Anniversary . May you enjoy many more.

@kazu   Special thoughts for you and Jose today. Will hold you in my heart that your memories will give you comfort.

Hope all that are cruising have a wonderful journey.

Off to water aerobics.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2