Friday November 24th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Someone mentioned staying at the Wyndham Bayside, so just an FYI. Craig stayed there while I was in Coronado with my girlfriends and said that there was occasional noise coming from somewhere like it might be construction or remodeling although it wasn’t bad. Also, the rooms are in need of a redo, the carpet is old. All that said, it really is a convenient place to stay pre cruise and we are planning on staying there in January. We’ve stayed there for every San Diego departure.

Thanks Sharon.  Good to know you'll be staying there again.  We travel with a sound machine everywhere we go.  If it isn't construction, it's loud neighbors -- or both.  I think the conveniences will  outweigh the inconveniences.

@cat shepard Great photo!!  It took me a few seconds but found it!

• Like 17

Good afternoon, Dailyites, and thanks for all the anniversary wishes.  Yesterday, to celebrate, we bought new suitcases for both of us - (Black Friday sale), and today I went to the grocery store for my Black Friday 15% off my whole order (and found some sugar!).  Plus we booked a new cruise on the HAL Black Friday sale, so I have made the most of the BF sales.  I had a long chat with my cousin, in the time we were away they have had a number of catastrophes - her DH has pancreatitis and suffered a couple of severe attacks, her son has MS (as does she) and is having problems, one daughter (a piano teacher), has severe RA and having hearing problems, and her other daughter was given an antibiotic she reacted to with an Achilles tendon attack of some sort which left her almost paralyzed and they were very worried about her.  I don't quite understand all that, I asked if it was Guillaume-Barre syndrome, but evidently not.  So it has been a time of great worry for her.  

Pat and I both had good reports from the doctor, who telephoned this morning.  His chest x-ray was clear, and evidently, he is not anaemic.  We're going to have to work on that tiredness that he is experiencing, and I guess the cough will sort itself out over time.  My hip arthritis is not severe enough yet for a replacement, he said we could talk about a steroid shot under x-ray before we cruise next in that hope that will help for a while.  

So, that's all my news.  The sun is shining, they keep promising rain and then it doesn't come, but we had a lot of frost on the roof when I headed out early this morning.  I'll be thinking of Jose and Jacqui today, and those with ailments and losses.  And sending Bon Voyage wishes for those lucky ducks who are heading for the sea!  

IMG_5590.jpg.4c52b2d8e8569e9da40db3fc62d17bcc.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

My Black Friday shopping was online; a set of sheets. I'm searching for ones I really. Then I was surprised that my grocery store had a number of items I buy for 99 cents, today only. I saved $6 on one item. I wish I knew my family history - I think that should be included for adoptees. So I've tried to be proactive about getting screening tests. I can't think of a unique talent I have. I won't celebrate DB Cooper. Interesting quote. I'll pass on the meal (fish) and drink. Yes to the wine. I haven't been to East London. 3 important days in history.

It's only 41F, but partly sunny. Lots of leaves have come down after the past 2 days of wind and rain. Sleep was the same, about 3 hours. I went to PT at noon, then the grocery store, where the cart acts as my walker, lol. BFF and out UK friends are going out to eat and then watch the away hockey game. I declined as I'm hurting and not inclined to be social. Yay to release of some hostages; let's hope they all are released soon.

@Himself @Niagarawine @Seasick Sailor Bon Voyage!

@Vict0riann Happy Anniversary to you and Pat! It does sound like you took advantage of some Black Friday sales. I'm sorry to hear of all the ills to befall your cousin's family. I'm glad you both had good reports from your doctors. 

@aliaschief I'll have to look into that Jacque Pepin recipe. 

@rafinmd Welcome back to FLL.

@RedneckBob Nice lake and gator 😗.

@kazu Hugs on this bitter sweet day; may your good memories sustain you. I'm glad you're seeing your BFF.

@dfish Enjoy the decorating with River.

@smitty34877 I hope the visit to NH was somewhat refreshing for you. Safe travels to NY tomorrow. 

@durangoscots That's a lot of snow! Stay safe.

@Cruising-along Cute grand pups.

@Nickelpenny Great photo. It will continue to get warmer. It sounds like there are lots of activities for the sea days. 

@cat shepard I see it.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those with something to Celebrate.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  Family health and unique talents certainly deserve celebration, not so much DB Cooper.  I like the quote.  I have been to a few South African ports but not to East London. 

Interesting quote and days on history.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Chicken Parmigiana, and Strawberry Ice Cream as served in MS Rotterdam's Club Orange November 22, 2023:

dishes22.jpg

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise is actually just a bit of morning color from my balcony on MS Rotterdam.  We were sailing from Montego Bay to Fort Lauderdale  and I thought headed North, but we were actually hugging the Cuba coast and a lot more westerly than I assumed.

dawn1123.jpg

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Looks like it has settled in for some serious snow this afternoon and evening. Sticking to the grass and cars right now and I am sure the driveway will be covered as the temps drop. Dogs are not happy but both did their necessary when I took them out just now which, for the Chihuahua, is a huge step up over last winter.

The cruise in January is looking better and better.

Susan

• Like 20

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

IMG_4136.thumb.jpeg.7a7a7050d8f59b655ec0b89ad02e76f0.jpeg

Found him in no time but then again, we have so many here that I always have my eyes out on my walks 😉 

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good afternoon, Dailyites, and thanks for all the anniversary wishes.  Yesterday, to celebrate, we bought new suitcases for both of us - (Black Friday sale), and today I went to the grocery store for my Black Friday 15% off my whole order (and found some sugar!).  Plus we booked a new cruise on the HAL Black Friday sale, so I have made the most of the BF sales.  I had a long chat with my cousin, in the time we were away they have had a number of catastrophes - her DH has pancreatitis and suffered a couple of severe attacks, her son has MS (as does she) and is having problems, one daughter (a piano teacher), has severe RA and having hearing problems, and her other daughter was given an antibiotic she reacted to with an Achilles tendon attack of some sort which left her almost paralyzed and they were very worried about her.  I don't quite understand all that, I asked if it was Guillaume-Barre syndrome, but evidently not.  So it has been a time of great worry for her.  

Pat and I both had good reports from the doctor, who telephoned this morning.  His chest x-ray was clear, and evidently, he is not anaemic.  We're going to have to work on that tiredness that he is experiencing, and I guess the cough will sort itself out over time.  My hip arthritis is not severe enough yet for a replacement, he said we could talk about a steroid shot under x-ray before we cruise next in that hope that will help for a while.  

I’m sorry to hear of your cousin’s family’s health issues Ann, but so glad to hear that you and Pat have an “all clear”.  That’s great news 👍 

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

So, that's all my news.  The sun is shining, they keep promising rain and then it doesn't come, but we had a lot of frost on the roof when I headed out early this morning.  I'll be thinking of Jose and Jacqui today, and those with ailments and losses.  And sending Bon Voyage wishes for those lucky ducks who are heading for the sea!  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good evening Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report. 

Sorry I am posting so late in the day.  I have an issue of focusing on online job hunting and I get lost in time....

Plus, with the new group that will be onboard for our planned March cruise, that has caused us to look at sailing earlier than planned.  So I've been researching possible cruises, made a list and then let Suzi decide. 🤔 

Anyway,  I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! 

20231103_061717.jpg

Edited by seagarsmoker
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of Charles Darwin, at my last annual physical I expressed some depression to my PCP because I seem to be outliving so many of my friends.  He said, “So winning the Darwin contest isn’t as much fun as you expected, is it?”  Umm, perhaps sounds cold but you’d have to know my PCP.  He actually has a terrific sense of humor. 

Happy anniversary to Ann and Pat @Vict0riann.  

Don’t mean to be rude but if anyone wishes me a bon voyage tomorrow I’ll be unable to say thanks.  My ride to the airport is scheduled to pick me up at 3:55 am.  Yeah, that’s for a 7:20 am flight.  That's how far I live from the airport.  Carolyn @Cruising-along will understand.  Anyway, I always unplug when on the ships so won't be following this thread.

Happy AND HEALTHY holidays and  to all.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good evening, everyone!   

We got a lot done today.  We managed to decorate three Christmas trees and do the outside decorations as well.  I'm sure it was all because of River's help.  

First, the Family Room tree

IMG_3010.thumb.JPEG.eb54b9047f877571bab370b0b3e70f88.JPEG

Then the tree in the dining room

IMG_3011.thumb.JPEG.3842de61475a09adc6271c869e234978.JPEG

And the tree in the living room

IMG_3012.thumb.JPEG.edce81a5c2c4ece3acf2c7f1a166c2e7.JPEG

An added bonus is the wreath that was constructed by Sue.

IMG_3013.thumb.JPEG.984575e7a74620b82f790d58bc56d43d.JPEG

Edited by dfish
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

@AV8rix  Susan, we wanted to wish you an early Bon Voyage so that you might see it.  Have a wonderful cruise, and enjoy your time unplugged.

I can understand your PCP's sense of humor.  My parents' PCP was the same.  When my father complained about a rough place on his ear and asked the cause, the reply was, "Process aging."

images(1).jpg.b566348ef5c96f0a511405a987368002.jpg

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the HAL Fleet report, and all the daily reports

Bon Voyage to @Himself@Seasick Sailor , and @Niagarawine.

@Vict0riann  Warmest Congratulations to you and Pat on your Wedding Anniversary.

@dfish  thanks for sharing the photos of your lovely festive decorations.  How many lights do you place on each tree?

This morning have put the lights on our Christmas tree.  

It's  sunny Saturday, temperature 15 C.  Time to go for a walk.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from Quartzsite where the weather is beginning to cool.  It was sunny this afternoon and warm enough to work outside wearing shorts.  I did some clean up of the yard, but it will take a day or two get get it all done.  The main thing this afternoon was getting my favorite "room" ready to enjoy.  It is the south patio, and all the furniture, cushions, etc. are in place, vacuumed and ready for a sunny afternoon.  Now I just need to find the time.  I also got some of the sunscreens off the windows, so it is lighter in the house.  It will be a day or two before the last three really big sunscreens come down.  We do leave the ones on the east side of the house up so the bedroom doesn't get light quite as early. 

This morning, I got everything off the motorhome from both the outside compartments and inside.  All that's left is some of the food in the pantry and the refrigerator.  This year the refrigerator is not as critical since it is a residential refrigerator, and we'll leave it on anyway.  It will be my overflow refrigerator instead of the small one in one of our sheds.  Now, I just have to figure out what to do with everything I brought in and dumped in the spare bedroom/office.  At least, I left a path to the computers.

8 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning on a cold and cloudy morning in Durango. I am early since for some reason I did not sleep well last night. If I can manage to stay awake all day and take no naps I should get a really good night in tonight.

Weather forecast is for a high of 32F today and snow... like between 4 and 8 inches of it in town. We usually get a bit more at my condo since I am in the northeast corner of town tucked up against a glacial moraine which seems to hold the cold in place.  The dogs are not going to be happy and the
Chihuahua will be discussing a move to Mexico. When we walked this morning I could see both mountain ranges and in both the La Platas and San Juans the higher peaks were white. Guess it is coming. Driving warnings are out for all the passes and our local ski area is expecting over a foot .... they are thrilled.

Lenda.... the comment on the house is so true and right now while I am sorting and also starting to pack for the cruise in January, mine is worse than usual. Hope no one drops by. I may just not answer the door.

Take care all.

Susan

Susan, you and the Chihuahua, plus Bandit, could compromise and spend winters in Quartzsite.  We've only seen snow in the mountains here once, and it was gone by 10 am.  I wouldn't recommend spending summers here, but many people do.

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

It is time to play “Find the Buck”…..

weird the pic wouldn’t load when I tried to reduce the size. 🤔

IMG_4136.thumb.jpeg.7a7a7050d8f59b655ec0b89ad02e76f0.jpeg

Ann, the way the picture came up on my computer, the buck was the first thing I saw.

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

My Black Friday shopping was online; a set of sheets. I'm searching for ones I really. Then I was surprised that my grocery store had a number of items I buy for 99 cents, today only. I saved $6 on one item. I wish I knew my family history - I think that should be included for adoptees. So I've tried to be proactive about getting screening tests. I can't think of a unique talent I have. I won't celebrate DB Cooper. Interesting quote. I'll pass on the meal (fish) and drink. Yes to the wine. I haven't been to East London. 3 important days in history.

It's only 41F, but partly sunny. Lots of leaves have come down after the past 2 days of wind and rain. Sleep was the same, about 3 hours. I went to PT at noon, then the grocery store, where the cart acts as my walker, lol. BFF and out UK friends are going out to eat and then watch the away hockey game. I declined as I'm hurting and not inclined to be social. Yay to release of some hostages; let's hope they all are released soon.

@Himself @Niagarawine @Seasick Sailor Bon Voyage!

@Vict0riann Happy Anniversary to you and Pat! It does sound like you took advantage of some Black Friday sales. I'm sorry to hear of all the ills to befall your cousin's family. I'm glad you both had good reports from your doctors. 

@aliaschief I'll have to look into that Jacque Pepin recipe. 

@rafinmd Welcome back to FLL.

@RedneckBob Nice lake and gator 😗.

@kazu Hugs on this bitter sweet day; may your good memories sustain you. I'm glad you're seeing your BFF.

@dfish Enjoy the decorating with River.

@smitty34877 I hope the visit to NH was somewhat refreshing for you. Safe travels to NY tomorrow. 

@durangoscots That's a lot of snow! Stay safe.

@Cruising-along Cute grand pups.

@Nickelpenny Great photo. It will continue to get warmer. It sounds like there are lots of activities for the sea days. 

@cat shepard I see it.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those with something to Celebrate.

Vanessa, good news on the Black Friday deals at the grocery store.  DH used the cart as his walker on occasion.  I'm  sorry you don't feel like joining your BFF and UK friends tonight.

35 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

Speaking of Charles Darwin, at my last annual physical I expressed some depression to my PCP because I seem to be outliving so many of my friends.  He said, “So winning the Darwin contest isn’t as much fun as you expected, is it?”  Umm, perhaps sounds cold but you’d have to know my PCP.  He actually has a terrific sense of humor. 

Happy anniversary to Ann and Pat @Vict0riann.  

Don’t mean to be rude but if anyone wishes me a bon voyage tomorrow I’ll be unable to say thanks.  My ride to the airport is scheduled to pick me up at 3:55 am.  Yeah, that’s for a 7:20 am flight.  That's how far I live from the airport.  Carolyn @Cruising-along will understand.  Anyway, I always unplug when on the ships so won't be following this thread.

Happy AND HEALTHY holidays and  to all.

Susan, I know what you mean about losing friends.  When we first moved to our little community, we were some of the youngest ones there.  All our friends were quite a bit older.  Now, most of them have died.  There are only four of the people who were there when we moved in still living in our community.

29 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good evening, everyone!   

We got a lot done today.  We managed to decorate three Christmas trees and do the outside decorations as well.  I'm sure it was all because of River's help.  

First, the Family Room tree

IMG_3010.thumb.JPEG.eb54b9047f877571bab370b0b3e70f88.JPEG

Then the tree in the dining room

IMG_3011.thumb.JPEG.3842de61475a09adc6271c869e234978.JPEG

And the tree in the living room

IMG_3012.thumb.JPEG.edce81a5c2c4ece3acf2c7f1a166c2e7.JPEG

An added bonus is the wreath that was constructed by Sue.

IMG_3013.thumb.JPEG.984575e7a74620b82f790d58bc56d43d.JPEG

Debbie, the trees are lovely, and Sue's wreath is beautiful.  I'm sure River's help made a difference, and what good memories for her.

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Ann, I'm glad you both got good reports from the doctors.  Good that you could take advantage of Black Friday deals.  I'm sorry your cousin's family is having so many medical problems.  I'm pretty sure I know the antibiotic that caused the problem.  DH was given it many years ago, and it caused acute tendonitis in his elbow.  It was known for causing problems with the Achilles tendon, and I think it may now have a black box warning.  In DH's case, the tendonitis eventually cleared up.  I hope that's the case for your relative.

The UT game is starting in about 2 minutes.  HOOKEM HORNS.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

My ride to the airport is scheduled to pick me up at 3:55 am.  Yeah, that’s for a 7:20 am flight.  That's how far I live from the airport.  Carolyn @Cruising-along will understand. 

Ugh, you have my sympathy.  That's an early flight.  Our next flight (Jan. 1) is actually out of Everett! It's at 9am and we're still getting a hotel near the airport the night before because of the horrible traffic at that hour getting across the trestle. That can take a half-hour in itself.  This will be  a first for us -- flying home we'll fly into SeaTac but at least it's at a civilized hour. 😉  

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Ugh, you have my sympathy.  That's an early flight.  Our next flight (Jan. 1) is actually out of Everett! It's at 9am and we're still getting a hotel near the airport the night before because of the horrible traffic at that hour getting across the trestle. That can take a half-hour in itself.  This will be  a first for us -- flying home we'll fly into SeaTac but at least it's at a civilized hour. 😉  

Living in Bremerton we always spend the night before our flights by SeaTac - whether we drive around or use the Airporter....just a little bit more sleep in the morning.

• Like 12

My drive to the Atlanta Airport is about 90 minutes. Only once in the last 10 or so years have I not stayed overnight at an airport hotel the night before my flight. That was a flight that left at something like 10pm. The cost of the hotel room is cheap insurance that you will be able to make your flight.

• Like 17

Today our news reports that the P & O  ship Pacific Adventure has been denied entry to New Zealand because it's hull was not sufficiently cleaned to pass our strict biosecurity rules.

Yesterday news sources reported that some passengers on P & O Pacific Explorer were complaining of Bed Bugs, TV news showed photos of the bites on some affected passengers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Just now, erewhon said:

Today our news reports that the P & O  ship Pacific Adventure has been denied entry to New Zealand because it's hull was not sufficiently cleaned to pass our strict biosecurity rules.

Yesterday news sources reported that some passengers on P & O Pacific Explorer were complaining of Bed Bugs, TV news showed photos of the bites on some affected passengers.

Both stories made the news here.  I think that is because the news media likes stories that make cruise lines look bad.

Lenda

• Like 8