Thursday December 14th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

My neighbor called out sick today, and her "check engine soon" light came on yesterday, so I dont have to walk the dog again today.  That's two days this week, my services have not been needed.  It will be a small "pay" check this week.

I guess I am doing OK with my fundraising job. I raised 150.00 last week, and 300 yesterday.  It's a split shift, so the time at the desk goes pretty quickly. 

BTW the computer said it was 46 this morning.  It felt colder than when it was 33.  Brrr.  Now something just popped up with a weather alert, I will check that one message out later.  Floridians, I see you are about to get nailed with rain, please be safe!  

Thanks for the tips regarding the ham.  I guess dinner will be ham, cornbread pudding souffle,  salad,  creamed onions, and some type of tater.  (the part she is really coming over  for is the cornbread pudding souffle by the way).  Back to the dollar tree for baking dishes that can be tossed, or filled so that there is a take away meal for her.

@Haljo1935You are welcome anytime, as are any of the dailyites!  I don't know how to cook your request, but I can read a cookbook, and I know how to make food taste good. And I know how to eat. LOL! 

Our friend lost her hubby to cancer, during the first year of Covid.  She was never a cook.  I've known her for about 10 years, and she has never cooked.  Her husband cooked everything, baked, etc.  She found out last month when she tried to reheat something in her oven, that the oven didn't work any more.  It might not have worked for the last 3 years.  But since she doesnt cook, I dont think it will be replaced anytime soon. 

@Cruzin TerriI am glad that you pushed the issue on the biopsy.  Too many doctors completely ignore what the patient thinks is going on.  They practice medicine, but our bodies tell us, that something is not right.  

By the way, if any of you cookie bakers have an extreme abundance of left overs....DH and I would be happy to accept them, to you know, give you more kitchen space.🙄

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

You were absolutely right about that.  Basically, Luggage Forward delivers it to the porters, and from there it's just like you left it with the porters. 

By the way, once the bags are picked up you should be able to track them via Luggage Forward.

Roy

Our bags made it to UPS Hollywood, Fla. Hopefully they will be delivered to our ship Jan 5.  Cost us $380.00 but we will get that back as we had a $500.00 credit for forwarding bags. 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Queen Mary Stuart becoming queen at such a young age probably meant there was a regent acting for her until she was old enough to reign.

Absolutely - Mary Stuart (also known as Mary, Queen of Scots) was sent to France when she was a very young toddler to her betrothed - the Dauphin of France.   The Earl of Arran acted as her regent & then her mother - Mary of Guise.   Mary was raised in France (in preparation to become Queen of France & Scotland) & remained in France until the Dauphin’s death and returned to Scotland and her throne as a widow at the age of 19.  She was a constant worry to Elizabeth I as she was her cousin and some considered her the legitimate heir to the English throne and Elizabeth illegitimate (it depended upon what religion you were 😉).   Can you tell I’m a fan of history - especially this time period? 

44 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

By the way, if any of you cookie bakers have an extreme abundance of left overs....DH and I would be happy to accept them, to you know, give you more kitchen space.🙄

Too bad some didn’t live closer to each other.  We could have a cookie exchange 😃 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning to All and thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  I try to do good, I conserve energy ALOT (rarely turn on the heater/AC as I don't like forced air and lights are rarely on - except in the kitchen when I cook), and I tried to roast chestnuts once.  It didn't turn out well!!  I practice Einstein's quote most days.  The soup sounds wonderful with the wine, and no on the drink and never been to Visby.  Great days in history.

ScreenShot2023-12-14at08_37_23.thumb.png.592ea0f98bf9bf5fd1a5ddff69442334.png

I am feeling under the weather today.  Slept in until 0700 which is late for me.  I think it started on the plane ride home last Sunday as one ear got really plugged up.  Tested for Covid numerous times (all negative) so I think this is just a cold.  Nothing planned for today except making some phone calls.

ScreenShot2023-12-14at08_39_33.thumb.png.5fc090c8498786f123ca3ab8666bf390.png

Yesterday was a busy day.  An intake for a study, getting a new tire and the appt with the surgeon.  Oh, how I hate insurance companies!!  The surgeon also stated he didn't think the steroid shot would help the numbness but he wanted me to have them in 4 different places in my lower back.  He will be sending the info to the pain doc.  Hopefully, he will follow the surgeon's recommendation.  AND I have to start PT.  This is all due to insurance needs.  But, he did say what the ultimate resolution would be major "deconstruction/construction" surgery on my lower back with rods, screws and plates.  He asked me how far I can walk and I told him I can walk far but I pay for that later.  He chuckled and said "I really don't want you to do that".  I had to chuckle.  I was able to see the MRI and thought "Whoa!  That is one screwed up back".  The scoliosis complicates everything.

So I will be a good patient and do what he prescribes.  I always want a quick fix as I don't have time to daly around.  It is what it is, though.

@Sharon in AZHappy Anniversary!  Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers for those celebrating.

ScreenShot2023-12-14at08_39_14.thumb.png.565d283a7f78a62178ac464ec5e90f62.png

Have a great day everyone!  (PS - I love the Grinch!!  🙂 )

Edited by Nickelpenny
  • Like 21
  • Haha 5

Terri @Cruzin Terri, Debbie @dfish, Gerry @ger_77 and Debbie @tupper10 thank you for the condolences on cousin's passing.  My twin tells me he had ALS for quite some time so I wonder if he was in a trial and the drugs helped extend his life.  He was 88 years old!

Terri @Cruzin Terri I'm so glad you pushed for the biopsy of those spots.  Good luck with a resolution on that problem.  Take care!

Annie @marshhawk I got an email from Kroger about their Kroger brand spiral sliced brown sugar half hams.  They're on sale for $1.99 per pound, limit one.  Sounds like a better deal than the expensive brand!  Sounds delicious by the way.

Jake @Crazy For Cats safe travels today and have a great cruise!

Paul @kochleffel thank you for the photos of Visby.  I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time there if it doesn't rain us out like Terri's day did her.

Jacqui @kazu thank you for the interesting history lesson on Mary, Queen of Scots. 

Pennie @Nickelpenny good luck with your back issues, insurance problems, shots and PT.  My twin is having problems with both shoulders and her insurance won't let her have the procedures she needs done until she does PT.  They balked at her MRI too.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Yesterday was a busy day.  An intake for a study, getting a new tire and the appt with the surgeon.  Oh, how I hate insurance companies!!  The surgeon also stated he didn't think the steroid shot would help the numbness but he wanted me to have them in 4 different places in my lower back.  He will be sending the info to the pain doc.  Hopefully, he will follow the surgeon's recommendation.  AND I have to start PT.  This is all due to insurance needs.  But, he did say what the ultimate resolution would be major "deconstruction/construction" surgery on my lower back with rods, screws and plates.  He asked me how far I can walk and I told him I can walk far but I pay for that later.  He chuckled and said "I really don't want you to do that".  I had to chuckle.  I was able to see the MRI and thought "Whoa!  That is one screwed up back".  The scoliosis complicates everything.

I hope all you have is just a cold and you are feeling better soon 🤞 

Oh my on your hassles with insurance, etc.  That surgery on your lower back sounds very scary.  If that is the only solution, I hope it is very successful and alleviates all your problems 🙏 

14 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

(PS - I love the Grinch!!  🙂 )

You are not alone 🙂 

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

We had an enjoyable drive thru breakfast and a quick trip to the PO.  Our mail which was sent from Texas on December 4 has still not arrived.  Because of a glitch on the sending end, it was not scanned for tracking, so I have no idea where it is.  However, the mail sent this past Monday is at the PO and will be ready for pickup later today.  Have I mentioned that the service at this PO is lousy and it takes longer for mail to come from Texas to Quartzsite than it does for it to go the other way?

42 minutes ago, kazu said:

Absolutely - Mary Stuart (also known as Mary, Queen of Scots) was sent to France when she was a very young toddler to her betrothed - the Dauphin of France.   The Earl of Arran acted as her regent & then her mother - Mary of Guise.   Mary was raised in France (in preparation to become Queen of France & Scotland) & remained in France until the Dauphin’s death and returned to Scotland and her throne as a widow at the age of 19.  She was a constant worry to Elizabeth I as she was her cousin and some considered her the legitimate heir to the English throne and Elizabeth illegitimate (it depended upon what religion you were 😉).   Can you tell I’m a fan of history - especially this time period? 

Too bad some didn’t live closer to each other.  We could have a cookie exchange 😃 

Jacqui, thanks for the information.  I had read some of that at one time, but it didn't stick.  I also like history, but the history of the kings and queens of Scotland still confuses me.

41 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good Morning to All and thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  I try to do good, I conserve energy ALOT (rarely turn on the heater/AC as I don't like forced air and lights are rarely on - except in the kitchen when I cook), and I tried to roast chestnuts once.  It didn't turn out well!!  I practice Einstein's quote most days.  The soup sounds wonderful with the wine, and no on the drink and never been to Visby.  Great days in history.

ScreenShot2023-12-14at08_37_23.thumb.png.592ea0f98bf9bf5fd1a5ddff69442334.png

I am feeling under the weather today.  Slept in until 0700 which is late for me.  I think it started on the plane ride home last Sunday as one ear got really plugged up.  Tested for Covid numerous times (all negative) so I think this is just a cold.  Nothing planned for today except making some phone calls.

ScreenShot2023-12-14at08_39_33.thumb.png.5fc090c8498786f123ca3ab8666bf390.png

So I will be a good patient and do what he prescribes.  I always want a quick fix as I don't have time to daly around.  It is what it is, though.

@Sharon in AZHappy Anniversary!  Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers for those celebrating.

ScreenShot2023-12-14at08_39_14.thumb.png.565d283a7f78a62178ac464ec5e90f62.png

Have a great day everyone!  (PS - I love the Grinch!!  🙂 )

Pennie, I'm sorry you will need the extensive surgery.  Even original Medicare requires PT and a back brace before approving surgery.  In the meantime, I hope the steroid shots help.

32 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Terri @Cruzin Terri, Debbie @dfish, Gerry @ger_77 and Debbie @tupper10 thank you for the condolences on cousin's passing.  My twin tells me he had ALS for quite some time so I wonder if he was in a trial and the drugs helped extend his life.  He was 88 years old!

Terri @Cruzin Terri I'm so glad you pushed for the biopsy of those spots.  Good luck with a resolution on that problem.  Take care!

Annie @marshhawk I got an email from Kroger about their Kroger brand spiral sliced brown sugar half hams.  They're on sale for $1.99 per pound, limit one.  Sounds like a better deal than the expensive brand!  Sounds delicious by the way.

Jake @Crazy For Cats safe travels today and have a great cruise!

Paul @kochleffel thank you for the photos of Visby.  I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time there if it doesn't rain us out like Terri's day did her.

Jacqui @kazu thank you for the interesting history lesson on Mary, Queen of Scots. 

Pennie @Nickelpenny good luck with your back issues, insurance problems, shots and PT.  My twin is having problems with both shoulders and her insurance won't let her have the procedures she needs done until she does PT.  They balked at her MRI too.

Sandi, navigating the health care system is not for the timid.  I hope your niece gets the help she needs.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Catching up a bit…. Will head over to old friends’s house about an hour from here later this afternoon. Other family heading to the Mercado, Alamo and maybe Riverwalk this afternoon. It’s not raining but it is a gray murky day. Tomorrow rain but Saturday should be sunny for tge wedding!  

Happy Anniversary 💕 to @Sharon in AZ and Craig!  Never enough anniversaries!  Celebrate! Cherish each other!  

Exciting to hear about all the luggage being picked up!  

My dad made roasted chestnuts, but he cut a cross in the flat side of each and boiled them first. After roasting them, stirring often, he’d wrap them in a towel to let them steam and cool down very slowly. They were a rare and extravagant treat for us growing up. I tried to duplicate his method once and roasted them in our cabin Franklin stove but I think the high elevation meant they needed to cook a lot longer. (At 8700 ft water boiled at 195 F. Lots of adjustments cooking most everything.) I never tried doing chestnuts again, just good to have the childhood memories from dad, and of the aroma on the Manhattan streets!  

I love the quote but feel sad that has to be said. On the ships I try to always thank the workers for keeping it nice for us, keeping it safe for us!  They work so hard and are not always appreciated. 

Safe travels Jake!  Enjoy it all, but for myself I always feel better once i get there!  

@kazu So glad your downed tree was taken care of.  A nuisance but good people watching over you!  
@Cruzin Terri Hope Jim does ok with dentist, and you start feeling better starting right now!  Praying for Amazing for you!  You deserve it!  Give yourself a loving hug! 
@marshhawk Your sense of humor carries you through a lot of lows! And helps carry us too!  Thank you for sharing! When I freeze ham I add some of the ham juices into each ziplock and squeeze out all the air. It’s great to have those meal packages in the freezer for a quick tasty supper.  Can’t beat ham and fresh cornbread!

@Haljo1935 So good you have a plan!  
@Nickelpenny hang in there, we all have our dings and dents, hoping you won’t need all the surgery, but good to know there is help if you do need it. 

Today was our contingency travel day in case we got delayed, so it’s visiting friends day. DH is napping. I need to walk over to the 7-11 to get some yogurts and fruit cups to augment the breakfasts, which wasn’t bad - waffles, little omelettes, biscuits and gravy, sausages!  Just no fruits. Not much around close by so if 7-11 doesn’t work maybe on our drive out to friend’s house in Seguine this afternoon. 

Tomorrow is family brunch at the groom’s parents’ home. Thinking maybe huevos rancheros?  And probably more visiting time in the afternoon. I’m so blessed to have this family through DH!  I love them and they love me!  Better than I ever could have imagined!  

Have a great day everyone, or a great sleep😉 🌏. depending which side you’re on…. 

Maureen 

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Driveway has been plowed and I got my car cleared off. I think our snowfall was about 4 inches which is considered a light amount here even though the snow itself was pretty heavy with moisture. I had the suitcases out at 5:15 this morning after the 6am threat .... and admired the unbroken snow. I am now within the time of the original pickup and no sign of activity. Could have gotten more sleep. Between wrestling the luggage downstairs and snow removal, my back is not happy. I think the rest of this day will be reading and getting some paperwork done. Dogs are exhausted by all this activity.

Susan

• Like 23

Greetings to all, and thanks for FR & D.  Avid reader, and sometimes poster, but thanks for all your efforts and contributions.  I wish there was a hug button for so many of you.  I just wanted to comment on the Mary Stewart topic.  There was a very good TV series about her called Reign.  Many good actors and interesting sets. Megan Follows ( Anne of Green Gables) plays her mother.  Anyway, if you can find it, it is worth watching.  Stay well, and prayer for those in pain.

Peter

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Have I mentioned that the service at this PO is lousy and it takes longer for mail to come from Texas to Quartzsite than it does for it to go the other way?

Sandi, navigating the health care system is not for the timid.  I hope your niece gets the help she needs.

Lenda

I can sympathize about your post office troubles.  I handed my Christmas cards to my mail carrier instead of dropping them off at the post office.  Some haven't received their card and I'm wondering what they do with all this lost mail.  Last night on the news they said Georgia lawmakers have sent letters to the Postmaster General asking about poor service and lost and stolen mail, etc.  Customers want better service!

And just a small correction, it's my twin sister with the health insurance problems.  She's had MRI's cancelled last second because the insurance company didn't get the paperwork on time.🤷‍♀️

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 21

They're starting it up again: the hoopla about a "massive storm" on the East Coast.

It is possible, maybe likely, but they don't need to frighten people out where I live. Maybe 1/4 inch of rain here.

Weather forecast as entertainment (except where it really should be taken seriously).

• Like 18

Good morning all!

Good collection of days.  We recently got our "report card" from the utility company and got "Good".  I was horrified to see that our usage was up over 100% from a year ago ---- until DH reminded me that we were gone all that month last year. 😅  No wonder it was so low a year ago!  Whew!

I love the quote and is how I live too.  Will pass on the meal, drink and wine today.  We've been to Sweden but not Visby.

Like others, we're waiting for Luggage Forward to arrive.  Our original pick up time was 1-5, then 10-5.  It's after 11 now.  We're sending a bit 😉  

Waitingforluggageforward.thumb.jpg.3bc95a40cf613da4a0d4e3ffede5d010.jpg

Happy Anniversary Sharon and Craig @Sharon in AZ!

Sandi @StLouisCruisers My sincere condolences on the death of your cousin.

Jake @Crazy For Cats Safe travels!

@Niagarawine Sincere condolences on the death of your FIL.

Vanessa @JazzyV I hope the meds will kick in and help you get some much needed sleep (and relief!)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Hello everybody, I know it's been a long time, I just logged in and noticed a number of people were asking about me a couple of weeks ago, I very much appreciate it, I couldn't reply to that thread though because they lock them now apparently.  I do pop in every so often to peek at the care list and drool over the pictures, which are a blessing and a curse, Dear Dad and I want to cruise so badly we can taste it.  

A lot has been happening and there's been good news and bad news.  To begin, Dad is doing okay, the kidney disease is still considered stable, but memory issues are becoming more of a problem and he was recently diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment, which is considered a precursor to Dementia or Alzheimer's, but not always.  Case in point, after the fire in Maui I showed him the pictures we took in Lahaina and he had no memory we were even in Hawaii, let alone a cruise to that specific port.  And over Thanksgiving we had family staying with us, I had to repeatedly remind Dad they were here, even as they slept in the next room.  

Neuropathy and Gout cause daily problems, and the current concerns are protein in the urine which indicates damage, and A1C, with kidney disease it's always something, but he hasn't given up hope which is remarkable, between the good attitude and quality at home care, his doctors feel he's living much longer than if he had been "placed" (euphemism for care home, nursing home, whatever you want to call it).   

We moved from our townhouse in July and now reside in a high-rise flat with fantastic city/mountain views for Dad.  The tower is beautiful and the conveniences within the building and everything nearby are numerous.  But despite having help from a number of family members, the stress of the move took a toll, and I had a 2nd stroke shortly after in late August.  It was small thank God, but I was immediately put on two months of rest, and no driving, so the convenience of being in an urban area paid off.  At least it resulted in no new deficits, and the main focus is to keep stress levels down and lose weight, which is next to impossible this time of the year.   

We are looking at cruises to Alaska next Fall and I'm going to discuss it with Lisa when she returns from her Caribbean cruise.  The Eurodam in a Neptune, they are the only staterooms with wide doorways which is all DD needs, we don't require accessibility elsewhere, and they are always booked up well in advance.  We looked at a number of other cruise lines, with Oceania a top choice, but only the owner's suite has a wide enough doorway and those are never available either.  But that's beside the point, we really miss the familiarity of HAL and because of specific health related needs, the Neptune lounge as close to our stateroom as possible will be a Godsend.  

So those are the highlights, caregiving takes up 95% of my free time, which keeps me away from the daily I'm afraid, but an upcoming cruise could change that as someone alluded to in the daily back in November.  Thanks again for the well wishes, I'm so happy I had a chance to stop in before the holidays.  Feel free to ask any questions and wish me to elaborate on something.

~Bruno and Dad (David)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 14

Bruno @atexsix It's good to hear from you, but I'm sorry you and dear Dad are having health issues.  Thank goodness your stroke was mild with no new deficits.  The views from your townhouse must be wonderful on a clear day!

Hope to hear more from you but understand about the limitations on free time.  Hope to hear you're able to take that cruise next fall.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Bruno @atexsix It's good to hear from you, but I'm sorry you and dear Dad are having health issues.  Thank goodness your stroke was mild with no new deficits.  The views from your townhouse must be wonderful on a clear day!

Hope to hear more from you but understand about the limitations on free time.  Hope to hear you're able to take that cruise next fall.

Thanks.  At least we're having a mild winter here in Washington.  And yes, the views are breathtaking. 

• Like 17

Good early afternoon and Happy Thursday!  Imagine my surprise that Vanessa @JazzyV remembered our Anniversary!  And thank you everyone for all the celebratory wishes. Next year is our big Five-Oh and I plan on being on a BHB. Hopefully I can find something with some new ports to visit. 

Craig went to Costco this morning and bought our lunch at a local favorite sandwich place so I don’t have to cook today. I got the veggie sandwich and he texted telling me he got it without cheese and I said WHAT!  No no no, cheese always. Well, of course, he was teasing , he knows how much I love my cheese. 

Annie @marshhawk, I agree with everyone else that about freezing ham. I’m lazy and just freeze it in the foil that it came in and it’s always fine. Yes on adding the bone to make soup. And yes about not cooking it to heat it up, it’s already cooked so just set out what you need to get to room temperature. It really does taste better that way. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

A quick check-in while the icing dries on the next set of cookies.  After these, there are not that many left, and most will be easy to decorate.  I'm using a combination of "painting" the icing on and piping it on where that is possible.

3 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Catching up a bit…. Will head over to old friends’s house about an hour from here later this afternoon. Other family heading to the Mercado, Alamo and maybe Riverwalk this afternoon. It’s not raining but it is a gray murky day. Tomorrow rain but Saturday should be sunny for tge wedding!  

Happy Anniversary 💕 to @Sharon in AZ and Craig!  Never enough anniversaries!  Celebrate! Cherish each other!  

Exciting to hear about all the luggage being picked up!  

My dad made roasted chestnuts, but he cut a cross in the flat side of each and boiled them first. After roasting them, stirring often, he’d wrap them in a towel to let them steam and cool down very slowly. They were a rare and extravagant treat for us growing up. I tried to duplicate his method once and roasted them in our cabin Franklin stove but I think the high elevation meant they needed to cook a lot longer. (At 8700 ft water boiled at 195 F. Lots of adjustments cooking most everything.) I never tried doing chestnuts again, just good to have the childhood memories from dad, and of the aroma on the Manhattan streets!  

I love the quote but feel sad that has to be said. On the ships I try to always thank the workers for keeping it nice for us, keeping it safe for us!  They work so hard and are not always appreciated. 

Safe travels Jake!  Enjoy it all, but for myself I always feel better once i get there!  

@kazu So glad your downed tree was taken care of.  A nuisance but good people watching over you!  
@Cruzin Terri Hope Jim does ok with dentist, and you start feeling better starting right now!  Praying for Amazing for you!  You deserve it!  Give yourself a loving hug! 
@marshhawk Your sense of humor carries you through a lot of lows! And helps carry us too!  Thank you for sharing! When I freeze ham I add some of the ham juices into each ziplock and squeeze out all the air. It’s great to have those meal packages in the freezer for a quick tasty supper.  Can’t beat ham and fresh cornbread!

@Haljo1935 So good you have a plan!  
@Nickelpenny hang in there, we all have our dings and dents, hoping you won’t need all the surgery, but good to know there is help if you do need it. 

Today was our contingency travel day in case we got delayed, so it’s visiting friends day. DH is napping. I need to walk over to the 7-11 to get some yogurts and fruit cups to augment the breakfasts, which wasn’t bad - waffles, little omelettes, biscuits and gravy, sausages!  Just no fruits. Not much around close by so if 7-11 doesn’t work maybe on our drive out to friend’s house in Seguine this afternoon. 

Tomorrow is family brunch at the groom’s parents’ home. Thinking maybe huevos rancheros?  And probably more visiting time in the afternoon. I’m so blessed to have this family through DH!  I love them and they love me!  Better than I ever could have imagined!  

Have a great day everyone, or a great sleep😉 🌏. depending which side you’re on…. 

Maureen 

Maureen, that waffle looked good, and I don't think I've seen one in the shape of Texas before.  I'm glad you were able to get some sleep last night.  BTW, Seguin does not have a "e" on the end.  If any kids or those young at heart need entertainment and there's time, San Antonio has a great zoo.

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Driveway has been plowed and I got my car cleared off. I think our snowfall was about 4 inches which is considered a light amount here even though the snow itself was pretty heavy with moisture. I had the suitcases out at 5:15 this morning after the 6am threat .... and admired the unbroken snow. I am now within the time of the original pickup and no sign of activity. Could have gotten more sleep. Between wrestling the luggage downstairs and snow removal, my back is not happy. I think the rest of this day will be reading and getting some paperwork done. Dogs are exhausted by all this activity.

Susan

Susan, isn't it always the case, when you get things ready for the earliest possible time frame, whoever you're waiting for is late?  😉

1 hour ago, Niagarawine said:

Thank you for all the payers. My fil passed quietly last night in his sleep.

Our sincere condolences to you and your family on the passing of your DFIL.  I'm glad he passed peacefully in his sleep.

love-deeply.jpg.2aab133fa09a366b8ce9c2cafe9cd267.jpg

33 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Hello everybody, I know it's been a long time, I just logged in and noticed a number of people were asking about me a couple of weeks ago, I very much appreciate it, I couldn't reply to that thread though because they lock them now apparently.  I do pop in every so often to peek at the care list and drool over the pictures, which are a blessing and a curse, Dear Dad and I want to cruise so badly we can taste it.  

A lot has been happening and there's been good news and bad news.  To begin, Dad is doing okay, the kidney disease is still considered stable, but memory issues are becoming more of a problem and he was recently diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment, which is considered a precursor to Dementia or Alzheimer's, but not always.  Case in point, after the fire in Maui I showed him the pictures we took in Lahaina and he had no memory we were even in Hawaii, let alone a cruise to that specific port.  And over Thanksgiving we had family staying with us, I had to repeatedly remind Dad they were here, even as they slept in the next room.  

Neuropathy and Gout cause daily problems, and the current concerns are protein in the urine which indicates damage, and A1C, with kidney disease it's always something, but he hasn't given up hope which is remarkable, between the good attitude and quality at home care, his doctors feel he's living much longer than if he had been "placed" (euphemism for care home, nursing home, whatever you want to call it).   

We moved from our townhouse in July and now reside in a high-rise flat with fantastic city/mountain views for Dad.  The tower is beautiful and the conveniences within the building and everything nearby are numerous.  But despite having help from a number of family members, the stress of the move took a toll, and I had a 2nd stroke shortly after in late August.  It was small thank God, but I was immediately put on two months of rest, and no driving, so the convenience of being in an urban area paid off.  At least it resulted in no new deficits, and the main focus is to keep stress levels down and lose weight, which is next to impossible this time of the year.   

We are looking at cruises to Alaska next Fall and I'm going to discuss it with Lisa when she returns from her Caribbean cruise.  The Eurodam in a Neptune, they are the only staterooms with wide doorways which is all DD needs, we don't require accessibility elsewhere, and they are always booked up well in advance.  We looked at a number of other cruise lines, with Oceania a top choice, but only the owner's suite has a wide enough doorway and those are never available either.  But that's beside the point, we really miss the familiarity of HAL and because of specific health related needs, the Neptune lounge as close to our stateroom as possible will be a Godsend.  

So those are the highlights, caregiving takes up 95% of my free time, which keeps me away from the daily I'm afraid, but an upcoming cruise could change that as someone alluded to in the daily back in November.  Thanks again for the well wishes, I'm so happy I had a chance to stop in before the holidays.  Feel free to ask any questions and wish me to elaborate on something.

~Bruno and Dad (David)

It was good to hear from you Bruno.  I'm sorry you had another stroke, but I'm glad there was no lasting damage.  I hope your Dear Dad continues to do well, and that an Alaska cruise is in your future.  Your new home sounds like it is much easier to manage, and comes with such wonderful views, when it's clear.

7 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It was an early start to the day.  DH thought I was crazy for insisting that we get up at 3 for our 7 am flight.  Turns out I was right, the security line was the longest we have seen at Logan.  It took over an hour to get past security.  There was no time for a drop of coffee before the flight since we got to the gate 10 minutes before boarding started.  The plane departed 25 minutes late but we are now in the air and coffee is in hand.

I’m looking forward to @dfish recipes, I’d like to find new ways to add cabbage to the menu.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

2019 Veendam.
524445BE-C19E-4D0B-B1C8-FD04F9B1D11F.thumb.jpeg.ce9464c24e717222201d66fae63c986c.jpeg

Jake, somehow, I forgot to wish you and your DH safe travels today.

3 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good early afternoon and Happy Thursday!  Imagine my surprise that Vanessa @JazzyV remembered our Anniversary!  And thank you everyone for all the celebratory wishes. Next year is our big Five-Oh and I plan on being on a BHB. Hopefully I can find something with some new ports to visit. 

Craig went to Costco this morning and bought our lunch at a local favorite sandwich place so I don’t have to cook today. I got the veggie sandwich and he texted telling me he got it without cheese and I said WHAT!  No no no, cheese always. Well, of course, he was teasing , he knows how much I love my cheese. 

Annie @marshhawk, I agree with everyone else that about freezing ham. I’m lazy and just freeze it in the foil that it came in and it’s always fine. Yes on adding the bone to make soup. And yes about not cooking it to heat it up, it’s already cooked so just set out what you need to get to room temperature. It really does taste better that way. 

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, I agree about not reheating the ham, but the one I get says to heat it wrapped in foil at a low temperature for about 10 minutes per pound; then put the brown sugar glaze on it and put it under the broiler for a few minutes.  After that, I much prefer the ham straight out of the refrigerator.  Those that want it warmer can nuke it.  😁

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, sorry about calling your twin your niece.  

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Hey @cruising sister (and/or anyone who uses LF) - question on LF service: is luggage delivered to the ship and ultimately your stateroom? Or do you have to claim it somewhere and turn over to a porter?

I use Luggage Direct for return in SEA & FLL, but have not used LF on the front end and am considering it for a couple of my upcoming cruises. On their website, it shows recommended date to be the day before your cruise leaves, which caused me to 2nd guess my idea of how the service works. I thought once they picked them up, I would next see my bags in my cabin, but maybe not?🤔

We used Luggage Forward on our last cruise. Best thing I ever did and will continue to use them. Our bags were scheduled to be picked up at our home but a few days before, they called me and due to an approaching hurricane, they asked to bring them to UPS the next AM. They wanted the luggage out of Florida before the storm. We hustled a little bit, and the next time we saw them was in our cabin.  Very easy and no stress at baggage claim, etc. Well worth it, IMHO.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1