Sharing experiences with security photo upload during online check-in

I'm trying to resolve a curiosity about security photo upload during check-in. From my experience doing this with Celebrity/Royal, I'm about 0 for 12. I've also had no success with another cruise line. So here's the story ...

The best and clearest photos I have for spouse and I are our (relatively recent) passport photos. The photos were professionally taken per passport specifications, and I have the digital raw files. The files I upload during online check-in are absolutely of the correct format, within the specifications for resolution and file size, and unaltered. The files upload and display just fine with no cropping necessary.

Yet at check-in at the terminal, they always want to take new security photos. I go along with it, of course, but do ask what the problem was. Inevitably the response is "You took a picture of a picture and you can't do that". No, I didn't. What I uploaded was the original digital photo. "Well you can't take a picture of a picture" they continue. They then proceed to snap a new photo that is low-res, blurry and a thousand moving bodies in the background.

No, isn't a big deal. I'm just curious what others have experienced. One explanation is that I'm expecting too much of Celebrity/Royal's IT systems. But there could be a rational explanation such as they require the metadata of the uploaded image to match the date of the upload, which may be true but why not reject it at the time of the upload?

That's been my experience too.  If I upload a photo, they ignore it at check-in and take their own photo.  I think this is probably a case of out-of-touch back-office management thinking asking customers to upload photos is solving a real problem and saves the company money - when in reality, the front-line workers know it's far easier to just take a new photo.  Taking the photo at check-in simply isn't a problem that needed solving.  It's quick and it's easy.  It's faster and easier than pulling up the photo the customer uploaded and checking its quality and framing and deciding if it's good enough. I know the business management trend is to look for opportunities to shift work from your employees to your customers, but it's not a one size fits all solution, and this is one of those cases where it benefits neither the company nor the customer.  Unfortunately, the people who thought this was a good idea are unlikely to recognize this reality. 

• Like 1

I always take my own "live" photo, with the requisite white back drop etc.  They have still always re-taken a new photo at check-in.  Never really gave it much thought, and I still won't I suppose.

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I never do it on the app. They will take the photo at the terminal so I don’t need to bother

It is easy and I can retake multiple times until I get one I don’t mind seeing when it pops up on the screen onboard.

• Like 3

Same here with multiple cruise lines - always just take photo on app at check-in and always have to take new photo at terminal. So, I just skip photo at check-in now for that reason.

As someone who checks passengers for Royal/Celebrity, generally speaking we don't use passport photos as security photos.  Some passengers will take a photo of the photo in their passport and submit that,, although I know that you said that you didn't do that. 

What we are looking for is a 'LinkedIn' type of photo - one that is recent, with the person looking at the camera, showing the head and upper shoulders.  The security photo should also look like the same person who is standing in front of us (hair length, hair color, facial hair, even age, etc). 

I am not surprised that the check-in agent retook your photo.  If I was checking you in and saw that you used your passport photo, I probably would retake the photo as well.  Also, for what it's worth, those hand held check-in devices take some really nice photos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

As someone who checks passengers for Royal/Celebrity, generally speaking we don't use passport photos as security photos.  Some passengers will take a photo of the photo in their passport and submit that,, although I know that you said that you didn't do that. 

What we are looking for is a 'LinkedIn' type of photo - one that is recent, with the person looking at the camera, showing the head and upper shoulders.  The security photo should also look like the same person who is standing in front of us (hair length, hair color, facial hair, even age, etc). 

I am not surprised that the check-in agent retook your photo.  If I was checking you in and saw that you used your passport photo, I probably would retake the photo as well.  Also, for what it's worth, those hand held check-in devices take some really nice photos.

I’ve actually been surprised at how well the photo taken by the check in staff comes out. Much better than the horrible selfie taking during online check in.

Interestingly, when I upload a photo during online check in, it is accepted at the pier on Royal Caribbean but not on Celebrity.  This was true for the same photo used on both my October RC cruise and February Celebrity cruise, and both were in Athens.  🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

I don't really have an answer for why it happens and it seems most people get their pictures retaken but I haven't had that experience. My picture I upload during check in so far has been accepted.

I have a few semi professional headshots that I've used since the self upload option became available and they have never retaken the photo. My passport photo is horrible as many are. I could see why they would retake them if it's anything like mine. 

Posted (edited)

While checking in passengers, I have seen topless photos submitted, boudoir photos (like topless in bed with a 'come hither look', and photos of happy couples, like an engagement shot (lovely photo, but we can only have one person in the picture).  I have also seen action photos, sports photos and a variety of types.

When I see any type of security photo that isn't what we need, I will just say, "I need to retake your photo" and up goes my camera device, the passenger smiles, I take the shot, and if it looks good I 'save' it,  then I hit the "Embark" key and send them on to the ship.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

DW and I each use the passport photos taken at AAA in 2021.  There's never an issue.  Perhaps we are outliers.  We used them on Connie, Reflection, EQ and Silhouette.

We always do ours in the app against a white wall with good lighting (ideally during the daytime when the room has some natural light as well) and it is a new photo with every cruise. Rarely have they had to retake them at checkin. 

Don’t waste your time taking the photo.   You don’t need it and they won’t use it.  They will use the one that they will take as you check in at the port.

It doesn’t matter how it looks as you will rarely if ever see it.   It isn’t something that will be displayed on your drivers license, passport, or sea pass card.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd put money on a lot of the photos looking like this. If the photo is from this angle, more background than face, bad lighting, focus is on the chins and nostrils and eyes appear closed, they will not use it. 

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 8.23.12 AM.png