The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday May 12th, 2024

Mother's Day

Today is International Day of Plant Health, International Nurses Day, and Limerick Day

If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Meal Suggestion for today - Bok Choy Soup with Shrimp & Noodles
Drink of the Day - Rose Kennedy
Wine of the Day - Domaine du Vieux Bourg 2020 Au Bois Retour (Chénas)
Destination of the Day - Himeji, Japan

Today in History:
1191 Richard I of England marries Berengaria of Navarre in Cyprus

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 05-13

Koningsdam

Nieuw Amsterdam

Nieuw Statendam

Tallinn, Estonia 10:00 - 23:00 

Noordam

Vancouver, BC Canada 7:00-16:00 

Oosterdam

Santorini Island, Thira, Greece 10:00 - 21:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Leith-Edinburgh, Newhaven-Rosyth-Queensferry, Scotland eta 05-13

Volendam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 16:00 

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 7:00-15:00 

Zaandam

Glacier Bay, Alaska  0700-1600

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Praia da Vitoria, Terceira Island Azores Portugal eta 05-18

• Like 18
  • Thanks 24

Today’s Care List:

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with a stroke, showing improvement

JazzyV’s BFF with a fall and sustaining a tib-fib fracture, surgery 5/17

Kazu with a foot infection and pain

Victims of flooding and storms across the country

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck post angioplasty, now needing a new stent

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with memory and anxiety issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Mother's Day

Welcome Home AncientWanderer!

Welcome Home Heartgrove!

Congratulations to bennybear’s DS on his Masters degree

RMLincoln’s DH with eye improvement on latest evaluation

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is away

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

YourWorldWithBill (Nieuw Statendam to May 18) 13d Jewels of the Baltic, MISTER 67 (Enchanted Princess to May 18) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean with St. Thomas, Niagarawine (Koningsdam to May 18) 7d Alaska Inside Passage, Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 15
  • Thanks 27

Rose Kennedy cocktail:

Description

Rose Kennedy is a sophisticated and elegant cocktail that is perfect for any special occasion or simply for enjoying a night with friends. Named after the matriarch of the famous Kennedy family, this drink is a tribute to her timeless grace and elegance. The Rose Kennedy cocktail is made with a combination of vodka, cranberry juice, and a splash of lime, which gives it a delightful balance of sweet and sour flavors. The pink hue of the drink is not only aesthetically pleasing but also adds to the overall sophistication of the cocktail. Whether you're looking for a drink to impress guests at a dinner party or simply want to indulge in a tasty and well-crafted cocktail, the Rose Kennedy is a perfect choice.
Ingredients:

2 oz. vodka
2 oz. soda water
1/2 oz. cranberry juice
Directions
In a glass filled with ice, add vodka and soda.
Splash cranberry juice and garnish with a lemon wedge

Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 6.37.30 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 22

Happy Mother's Day to those of us in the US!!  And to EVERYONE!!!  HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

We've had cloud cover, and I haven't seen the Aurora Borealis in the past couple of days...  But I've seen photos from around the world!!  Hip Hip Hooray!!!  I've seen it in Alaska, on a cruise...

I think I'll pass on today's meal.  I'm just not that adventurous!  ...and I like my shrimp fried or grilled with garlic!  Or maybe sauteed and with rice...

The Drink sounds delightful!!  

We're still getting cool mornings here, in central Texas!  It's great to go out with the dog and need sleeves!!!  But, it's 'spittering' and dripping from the sky, so I try to get back in quickly!!!

Share your smile today, with someone who needs one and again, with someone you love!!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon.

Happy Mother's day to those who celebrate it today.

We had a lovely church service this morning.

It is very foggy at the beach and 57°F but bright sunshine and 66°F at home 5 miles away.

Today's food sounds nice.

Screenshot_20240512_114733.jpg

Screenshot_20240512_115115.jpg

Screenshot_20240512_120021.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 13

Good morning and thanks for the Report.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there.  I'll call my mom this afternoon.

Thanks to Nurses.  Plant Health means health for everyone.  I don't know any limericks that could be printed here. 😉

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, so does the drink.  I'm sure the wine is wonderful too.

I've never been to Japan.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a peaceful day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for our maps. It is a spectacular morning here. It has cooled back down to the low sixties and the birds are celebrating! 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with our happenings. So happy that your surgery appears to have worked! I love reading how much sleep you are getting! I used to cringe when I would read you were actually surviving on a few hours sleep. 

Gym, Bindi walks, a visit with my Sister & Brayden and if the water temp is right - a dip in the pool. 

IMG_2862.jpeg.fca05c82bb33603a9da72681050783e3.jpeg

IMG_2863.jpeg.30ebf2f9778ef6825957a6ab8641e50e.jpeg

IMG_2795.jpeg.60e306749b6c95a829a3eb584a2e83da.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Domaine du Vieux Bourg 2020 Au Bois Retour (Chénas)

This red sounds interesting & I would love a taste. A decent number of distributors. Online prices start at $24.95.

Winemaker Notes

This Chénas displays elegant aromas of ripe red fruit. With its silky, almost saline quality, the wine imparts notes of umami, and exhibits good roundness and body.

93Wine Enthusiast

This Chénas combines well-integrated black fruit with supportive herbal streaks. Ruby in color, this wine has a perfumed nose of alpine strawberry, cranberry, boysenberry, dried oak, black raspberry, violet and forest floor. The wine has a supple mouthfeel with expressive black tea notes towards the back palate through to the long finish. This wine is focused on the nose and complex.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 5

Happy Mothers Day to all the mothers out there.  Best wishes for a lovely day.  Our kids coming today bringing dinner with them.  It will be great to see everyone.  Katherine 

• Like 30

Good rainy and chilly morning.

Thanks everyone for the loving hugs and support yesterday. It means so much to me. 
Houdini was the last of the 5 siblings. We lost Charmer , the only girl in 2020 and then Socks in 2021, Jaguar in 2022 and Ninja last year. 💔🐾
Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12

Good morning Dailyites 

Happy Mother's Day! 

Thank you to all who contribute to the Daily. Especially Vanessa, Jacqui, Debbie, Ann, Dixie and Roy. 

Prayers said for the folks on our prayer lists, our soldiers, veterans, and all in harms way due to wars. 

As @LambKnuckles stated, our weather is drippy. Oliver woke me to go outside at 3, and needed to be toweled off before he dove under the covers.

Today's meal sounds really good. I'll tuck it away since we are having king crab and steak tonight. 

Wishing everyone a blessed day!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!  

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there.  Enjoy your special day!  We had another short sighting of the aurora last night.  I went out and the sky was a beautiful magenta, but by the time I got Sue and a camera, it was gone.  I read that there is a chance of viewing tonight also.  We'll give it a try!

Celebrating Mother's Day, here is a picture of me and my mom. 

MomandDeb.thumb.jpg.336808828f07e63012c2e1a933ba6052.jpg

Today's meal sounds good, but the carb count on it is way too high for me.  It must be the rice noodles in it that put it up that high. I would just add a ton more bok choy and leave the noodles out.   https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/8020237/bok-choy-soup-with-shrimp-noodles/

bokchoysoup1.jpg.e1016d16c7ffe2fdbd50df37033f9ab0.jpg

While the last recipe was on the sweet side, this one seems more on the savory side.  I'd prefer that, but would probably cut down on the noodles or leave them out.  https://thenutritionadventure.com/shrimp-bok-choy-noodle-soup/

bokchoysoup2.thumb.jpg.2e8c3070bd8ec4eeb914ae9030c82f8f.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 18

Happy Mother’s Day! 
Been cloudy here still so no sightings of the aurora but many thanks for all the beautiful pix. I’m so glad we had such fabulous views of it on our Hurtigruten cruise up the coast of Norway and back down. 

Blessings to all in need for healing, comfort or hope!  
Cheers to all celebrating happy milestones, Life is Good🌈

Smooth travels to all away especially our cruising friends. Safe safari for Bruce! 
Extra hugs to @1ANGELCAT
Maureen 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Happy Sunday and Happy Mother's Day. Thank you for the daily and Fleet reports. 

Expecting rain on and off so will be doing some chores inside. Western Pennsylvania where my brother and sister-in-law live has been seeing several tornadoes and hail these past few days. Over the past several years here in PA we have seen an increasing number of confirmed tornadoes. 

Preparing for a busy week so I will try and rest today as well. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

AWW - Imgflip

• Like 30

Posted (edited)

Good morning friends!  At sea off Florida somewhere it is 75F and a few clouds.  Last night two hours after leaving Port Everglades we must have gotten into a big storm.  We tried to avoid it but it caught up with us anyway.  The lightning was so intense the entire sky lit up white.  It affected "technology" according to the young lady presenting us with our wine orders, finally.  Things were a bit hectic in the MDR as usual the first night.  We need to get a system and find the right spot in the dining room then things will go smoother.

First of all, we heard Ren's team won their first game 3-0, Ren played the entire first half and no idea what he played after that.  Just glad they won!  Go FC Dallas!

Today's port is Himeji, Japan, and it's the third time for it.  Aug. 5, 2021 and March 17, 2022. I haven't been to that port in Japan before.  Here are the links.

Prayers for our Care list individuals and wishes for improved health soon.  Also for DB, Alex's twins, people of Israel and Ukraine, the poor hostages, and for the safety of our military in the region.  Cheers to all who celebrate something today, cruisers and Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there.  Thanks to Jacqui, Roy, Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie and Ann for your contributions to the Daily. 

Today I am going to take my cross stitch to the Art Studio which is supposedly in Crow's Nest, at 9 a.m. That is where the knitters and stitchers gather. Then a Mariner reception from 10:30 to 11:00 at Billboard Onboard, which we haven't seen yet.  This ship is very difficult to get around.  I miss the Zaandam and Volendam!  At 2:30 p.m. there is a roll call M&G. Dressy night this evening for Mother's Day. So a busy day!  Hope you all have a great day today!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Good morning and Happy Mother’s Day to all of the mothers out there.  Three nice days to recognize, I love reading limericks.  Nice quote and true as well.  I’ll pass on the meal as I’m not a fan of bok choy but the drink sounds refreshing.  I haven’t been to today’s port, I’ll visit through the photos.  Prayers for those on our prayer list.  @1ANGELCAT I’m sorry for your loss of Houdini yesterday, it’s hard to say goodbye to a beloved pet.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today! 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites! Its sunny, the computer says its 58 degrees, the weatherman said it would warm up to 80.  

92c568e7407439b372027f677673b484.jpg

Happy Mothers Day to all Mothers, and I am worried about the outcome with @RedneckBob with it being Limerick Day.  I will celebrate Limerick Maine instead where I spent a wonderful week in 77 with a college friend at his Grandmothers house.  Yes there was running water, and yes there was a toilet, but she would have none of it, so there was an outhouse, and to bathe? We had to use the pond in the back yard.  I wonder how she survived winters..

I like baby bok choy, and since @dfish once recommended roasting veggies, I roast baby bok choy, and serve it with shrimp (along with other veggies) But not in soup. I will celebrate veggies, and all plants even algae.  I read last night that scientists have created a new plastic with algae.  It is biodegradable.  That's not bad unless it dissolves before its use is done.

We saw the ISS last night, but not the aurora, and I was in bed by 11.  I was tired!  I had to watch a zoom video on my next campaign, and while the video was one hour and thirty eight minutes long, with all the notes that I had to write down, it took me 3 hours to finish it.  Sent in my hours, and my boss questioned me on why it took me 3 hours to watch a 1.38 minute video.

And I dont even really get to work with them until 6/9.  

We still have not heard if DH's surgery has been scheduled yet.  Neither the hospital has called regarding Tuesday, but Carrie Lynn at the doctors office cant find out if the laser is now operable. 

I hope everyone enjoys the day.  Time spent with Moms or memories of Mom. My nick name for my mom was Mimsy Whimsical which I started calling her the day she decided to start dancing and singing "Who wears short shorts?"  in front of my friends.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy Mother’s Day to our USA moms. 
I have not been to Japan, will celebrate the days and appreciate Mrs Roosevelts’  wisdom.

We are planning a nice dinner later with both vegetarian and chicken enchiladas. We will use the kids table again which almost ends up in the living room. It has been great to have more help.

Have a wonderful day today

This is one of my favorite pictures with my mom and Mormor the day my son was christened.

991.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Good morning to all,

Feeling a little better.

Happy Mothers’ Day to all—especially Mothers.

We are going to spend a quiet day at home.  DH wants to take me out to dinner, however today is the worse day to do that.  We will have a nice dinner here and celebrate our Mothers on another day after the restaurants recuperate from their busy day.

Hope everyone enjoys their day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 32

Good morning everyone.  It is nice to get back into my normal routine after the plant sale.  It was a success with $1450 made on day one of the sale.  Day 2 is next week at the opening of our town's Farmer's Market with two truckloads left.   I am glad it is behind me.   

Thanks for the Daily and maps Jacqui and Roy.   Happy Mother's Day to all of the Mother's and all of us missing our DMs.   Important day of plant health and International Nurses day.  Thanks again for enlightening us.  I look forward to photos of today's port.   I will pass on the meal but would love a Rose Kennedy on a BHB and the wine sounds nice.  

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.  I see that your BFF is scheduled for surgery on Friday, prayers for a great outcome.  Prayers for Chuck, Tana, Maurice and Jim.   I hope your DH @RMLincolnis healing from his eye surgery.   Prayers for all in our group needing them and all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the hostages and the innocents in Gaza.  

A couple of photos for @StLouisCruisers of the Zuiderdam leaving Port Everglades.  A HA group on fb posts photos of many of the ships departing Port Everglades, especially on the weekend.  It seems from all of his photos people weren't so excited about sailaway.  Maybe Zuiderdam left late and everyone was enjoying dinner.  I imagine a ship leaving port the next cruise after a world cruise has some extra work to do.  The other is the sale before we opened yesterday.   Have a lovely Mother's Day.  Nancy 

Zuiderdam 2 2024.jpg

Zuiderdam 2024.jpg

Sale 2024.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Happy Mother's Day to all who celebrate the day. Happy Birthday to my "brother, the older" as he refers to himself.

Good collection of days - always celebrate the importance of nurses - a tad worried about limericks. 

Pass on the meal (shrimp), the drink sounds good, would try the wine, not been to the port.

Hugs to @1ANGELCAT as you remember & miss Houdini. 🐾

Prayers 🙏 @Denise T your family stays safe in the path of the tornado.🌪️

@marshhawk Hope you hear something soon re DH surgery.

Congrats @StLouisCruisers on Ren's team win.

Congrats @ottahand7 on the successful Day 1 plant sale, 🤞Day 2 also goes well.

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures of the light show - they were beautiful!

Currently 68° headed to rainy 70°.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240512_072606.thumb.jpg.f56db350e326f3cf8d645659624ecb76.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 27

In memory of my dear Mother who passed away in early September 1997 along with Princess Diana and Mother Theresa.  I remember the day of this photo as we had walked from their cabin to look at the land they gave me and tried to figure a good site for our current cabin.  She was very ill with lupus I miss them both a lot.  

Don & Helena in the woods.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6