Best Pizza at Sea About to Get Better as Princess Announces New Partnership with World Pizza Champion Chef Tony Gemig

July 9, 2024 9:30 AM EDT

Best Pizza at Sea About to Get Better as Princess Announces New Partnership with 13-Time World Pizza Champion Chef Tony Gemignani

Princess Cruises Shoots for GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ Title for World's Largest Pizza Party to Mark Newest Celebrity Culinary Collaboration

FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla., July 9, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- Princess Cruises today announced another exclusive celebrity culinary collaboration, with Pizza Chef Tony Gemignani, the 13-time World Pizza Champion and undisputed greatest pizza maker in modern history. Chef Gemignani has created five unique pizzas for Princess, each with an exciting blend of savory flavors and premium ingredients from Soppressata sausage and hot honey to Gorgonzola and sweet fig preserve, further enhancing the line's position as offering the Best Pizza at Sea.

Chef Gemignani's artisan, hand-crafted pizzas will initially debut at Alfredo's onboard the new Sun Princess, adding to the greatest assembly of culinary experiences at sea, with plans to extend to the rest of the fleet this summer.

Princess chefs received specialized training under the guidance of Chef Gemignani from his acclaimed Tony's Pizza Napoletana in San Francisco ensuring they can masterfully replicate his original, hand-crafted pizzas at sea.

To mark the exciting, new collaboration, Princess Cruises will attempt to set a GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS title on July 12 for Largest Pizza Party at multiple venues with fresh-from-the-oven pizza prepared by the line's master chefs, including new selections from Chef Gemignani.

Chef Gemignani is the most decorated pizzaiolo in American history, an award-winning chef, restaurateur, master instructor, philanthropist, founder of Slice House by Tony Gemignani, and author of PIZZA, The Pizza Bible, and The Pursuit of Pizza. Born and raised in Northern California, he opened his first restaurant in San Francisco in 2009 – Tony's Pizza Napoletana – offering several styles of pizzas including Classic American, Italian, Sicilian and Neapolitan pizzas artfully made with artisan flours, an array of authentic sauces, and seasonal ingredients and finished in seven different, regionally-specific ovens.

The restaurant was met with immediate success upon opening and was named the best pizzeria by USA Today and top pizza restaurant by the Travel Channel.

"Princess is about delivering great experiences and there is no more important element than Pizza.  While Princess has long been known for having the best pizza at sea, we decided to take it up an entirely new level with legendary Tony Gemignani," said John Padgett, Princess President. "Tony is the 'GOAT' with unparalleled world championships, expertise and passion for crafting the perfect pizza."

Over the course of his career, Chef Gemignani has achieved 13 World Pizza Champions, two-time Food Network Gold Medalist, four GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS titles, and opened more than 30 restaurants. He's appeared on multiple reality television series including "Food Network Challenge," "Bar Rescue," and appeared on the Master Class GOAT series, The Travel Channel and CNN. https://tonygemignani.com/

"Princess is the original Love Boat and its magnificent ships are known to all the world," said Gemignani. "Bringing my original recipe hand-crafted pizzas inspired by the destinations Princess visits to the world-class line up of culinary offerings onboard its ships is not only exciting but an honor."

The new Chef Gemignani-designed pizzas will take center stage at Alfredo's and Gigi's specialty pizzerias, charming, sit-down venues offering an enticing menu of freshly prepared, individual-size pizzas, salads, wine and beer and more, and voted "Best Pizza at Sea" by USA Today, as well as the complimentary Slice locations found on the Lido Deck of Princess ships.

The new partnership adds to an impressive roster of celebrity collaborations that Princess Cruises has cultivated, showcasing its commitment to providing unparalleled culinary experiences. Other recent collaborations include:

• Dario Cecchini, the world's most famous butcher
  • Makoto Okuwa, renowned sushi master
  • Rob Floyd, celebrity mixologist
  • Romero Britto, world-renowned artist
  • Gerard Bertrand, Master Winemaker
  • Darren McGrady, former Royal Chef
  • Tyra Banks, supermodel and businesswoman
  • Rudi Sodamin, internationally-respected chef
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Wait, Princess thinks they have the "best pizza at sea" currently? I think you would get almost unanimous agreement that MSC currently has the best pizza at sea....

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, skynight said:

To me this probably means an upcharge for pizza.

in addition to the current upcharge at Alfredo's?  yeah, I can see that coming also

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, skynight said:

To me this probably means an upcharge for pizza.

That’s what I was thinking too.

Why would you mess with the best pizza at sea?  

Other than to make it fancy and charge more for it.  SMH

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Wait, Princess thinks they have the "best pizza at sea" currently? I think you would get almost unanimous agreement that MSC currently has the best pizza at sea....

We are doing our first MSC in December and my wife constantly says "I realllly hope this pizza lives up to the hype"  we see mixed reviews on everything related to MSC...only one thing is constantly positive, and it's  the pizza! 

1 hour ago, marden1970 said:

I'll take a New York slice over a celebrity pizza any day.

I agree....... lots of mozzarella, please     :O) 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Based on our recent experience on the Apex, Celebrity might beg to differ 🍕😋 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Celebrity pizzas with ingredients such as honey & preserves…I am skeptical although hopefully I am wrong.

Sun’s specialty restaurants with celebrity names have resulted in higher prices. Princess has a track record of failed celebrity restaurants such as Share, the French bistro and the Chinese restaurant on Majestic. The most successful specialty restaurants were created under the guidance of their past executive chef Alfredo Marzi and recently The Catch by Rudi (Sodamin). Both are in house chef’s who know how to create good food at sea which is much different than from land based restaurants. To me the only Princess celebrity chef who was a big success was Norman Love & his desserts. 😋

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

We were b3b on the Island last month, had an Italian pizza chef (Mossimo?) on the pool deck who made different "specialty" pizzas every day that went beyond the usual Princess rotation, and his pies were darn good. And of course, free.

Edited by latserrof
  • Like 2

I'm not lowering my standards to cruise on MSC just for pizza. The newest Celebrity ships may have good pizza but I wasn't impressed on the older ships.

I don't see Princess charging more for the pizzas than they do for the specialty pizzas.

I can see the price of Plus, etc. packages going up. I'm kind of surprised they haven't yet.

In any event, I can't wait to try the new pizzas!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I'm not lowering my standards to cruise on MSC just for pizza. The newest Celebrity ships may have good pizza but I wasn't impressed on the older ships.

I don't see Princess charging more for the pizzas than they do for the specialty pizzas.

I can see the price of Plus, etc. packages going up. I'm kind of surprised they haven't yet.

In any event, I can't wait to try the new pizzas!

we've got Premier on SUN P in October.  Hopefully we can get into Alfredo's, but it's a lot of food - who eats a whole pie?  Maybe they'll bring back the veal pockets - just the perfect amount for me.  Also looking forward to O'Malley's

I just sailed on the Enchanted Princess after a Princess lapse of 12 years. I have always had a slice of pizza on each cruise, sometimes multiple. One time I ate 2 bites and put the plate down (I don't remember if it was Disney or HAL). I've always said that Princess had the best. The only competition really was Virgin.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Any improvements for our convenience means lower quality for a higher price.

Gotta wonder why is something is the best you need to improve it?

Figs belong in my fruit bowl Never on a pizza.

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Geoffa30 said:

Based on our recent experience on the Apex, Celebrity might beg to differ 🍕😋 

I have had pizza on other Celebrity ships and it didn't hold a candle to MSC. Maybe the pizza on the Apex specifically is better somehow? Have you had MSC pizza?

• Like 1

I'm not much for pizza ... or at least I wasn't until I read this article. Thanks Rafael 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I agree with others usually it means extra cost and not all that great

We have always enjoyed Slice Pizza out on the Lido, especially when it’s 

right out of oven. Hopefully they will still keep the outdoor pizza. 

• Like 2

I'll definitely have his pizza next time we're on board. We used to go to his first restaurant when we lived in the SF Bay Area. Great pizza, but I understand he's gotten even better over the years.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Long-time Princess customer but I have to agree.