Average Ticket Price For Cruise Lines

maxmiller3

Hello CruiseCritic forum!

I am interested in learning whether there is any source out there that has information on average cruise ticket prices for the major cruise lines such as RC, CC, PC, etc.

I've been doing research on google.com but it is pretty hard to find a good source.

If any one can direct me or has some useful information, that would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Max

Any "average" (mean) would be misleading. First factor in length of cruise, itinerary, stateroom (from inside to owner's suite), port charges, what is included and what is not included, time of year (whether low demand or high demand) and other factors. A median value might be more informative, but even then ---

Some people do spreadsheets analyzing comparable cruises, that's a job you need to do yourself, perhaps with guidance from a good travel agent. Once you crunch the numbers, take a close look at the intangibles. The right cruise for you might not be the cheapest for those dates and that itinerary.

A good travel agent would be useful. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to name names on this board.

That really is a 'not knowable' numb er. Every cruise line, sells cabins on their ships at hugely varying prices. Even in the same cruise line, from ship to ship, an cabi;n to cabin, htere is not t average. Each cggegory cab in is pric ecxxc byThere are so many variables that even the same cab in on the same ship could sell for different sum depending upon what date you are sailing and where. You wanat a large sutie with vernadah, or an inside cabin with no windows? We have been in identc ial cabin on same ship, dozens of times and even when sailing same itinerary, a year or so apart, we paid a different amoun.t I know this is confusing bu frnakly, cruise priing is confusing.

What is the price of a run of the mill room at Embasssy suites, for two nites?

Oh, yaha, I forgot to mennion, in Boston, for New Year's Eve................. but what about in l Lexington KY for two nights early November? or maybe in city where super bowl will be played, how much is a room at Holilday Inn that week?, how about the following week?

:D

That really is a 'not knowable' numb er. Every cruise line, sells cabins on their ships at hugely varying prices. Even in the same cruise line, from ship to ship, an cabi;n to cabin, htere is not t average. Each cggegory cab in is pric ecxxc byThere are so many variables that even the same cab in on the same ship could sell for different sum depending upon what date you are sailing and where. You wanat a large sutie with vernadah, or an inside cabin with no windows? We have been in identc ial cabin on same ship, dozens of times and even when sailing same itinerary, a year or so apart, we paid a different amoun.t I know this is confusing bu frnakly, cruise priing is confusing.

What is the price of a run of the mill room at Embasssy suites, for two nites?

Oh, yaha, I forgot to mennion, in Boston, for New Year's Eve................. but what about in l Lexington KY for two nights early November? or maybe in city where super bowl will be played, how much is a room at Holilday Inn that week?, how about the following week?

:D

Thsi ^^

Any "average" (mean) would be misleading. First factor in length of cruise, itinerary, stateroom (from inside to owner's suite), port charges, what is included and what is not included, time of year (whether low demand or high demand) and other factors. A median value might be more informative, but even then ---

Some people do spreadsheets analyzing comparable cruises, that's a job you need to do yourself, perhaps with guidance from a good travel agent. Once you crunch the numbers, take a close look at the intangibles. The right cruise for you might not be the cheapest for those dates and that itinerary.

OP's request would be a useless exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP

You would be wise to visit several travel agencies in your area. Ask questions that would include the length of the cruise you are interested in, where you want to cruise, types of cabins you are interested in, etc. You will probably get a lot of different answers but it is a start for you to do some comparisons.

Perhaps you would get a better answer if you tell us why you want to know. What is your objective?

If you asked: what is the average price for an inside room for 2 people on a Caribbean cruise out of Miami in July, you might get a better answer. You need to be more specific. People would then suggest one of those travel websites that compare prices. They do require you to plug in the what, when, where, how Info.

As others have said your question is impossible to answer without some parameters. If you are planning a vacation you must know at least when, where and for how long.

Another thing you could do is provide your budget and people could provide more guidance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I'm researching cruises that fit our vacation schedule, I frequently make an Excel spreadsheet of all the ones that I want to sail on. For our upcoming cruise on the Royal Princess in December, I had 12 different Princess cruises. I started tracking prices in early August. I tracked the prices of an inside cabin, obstructed view, and balcony. I did not track prices of mini suites and suites.

In deciding which cruise to take, I figured out the cost per passenger per day. We are sailing during one of the cheapest time periods. The cost started from a low of $70 per person per day for an inside cabin on the Grand Princess to $155 pppd on the Caribbean Princess for a balcony. After the final payment dates, the prices started to fluctuate more. On the Royal Princess, an inside came down to $60 pppd and a balcony to $83 pppd.

You would have to have a really large spreadsheet to track prices on the various cruise lines to figure out an average price for all cabins.

Carnival Corp. owns Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Cunard, Costa, P&O, Seabourn, and Aida. In its 2016 annual report, they say they had $12 billion in revenue from passenger tickets. That works out to around $150 per person per day among its 102 ships if every ship sailed at two people per cabin. Of course the price of a Seabourn cruise is going to be a lot more than a Carnival one.

The OP is a student - apparently with little knowledge of the cruise industry and its consumers - who is attempting to do an economic research study. Hopefully our informational guidance will give him/her some needed direction and focus to an analysis that is currently too broad.

The OP is a student - apparently with little knowledge of the cruise industry and its consumers - who is attempting to do an economic research study. Hopefully our informational guidance will give him/her some needed direction and focus to an analysis that is currently too broad.

Has OP returned here ?

This question is akin to asking "What is the average price of an air ticket between New York and London?"

There is no easy answer.

Or maybe even “what’s the average price of an air ticket?”

That said, I always book a balcony room and look at how near to £100 a day I’m paying. That’s two meals more than a hotel room and I get some travel in there too, for about the same price as 4* hotel in England.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am interested in learning whether there is any source out there that has information on average cruise ticket prices for the major cruise lines such as RC, CC, PC, etc.

I've been doing research on google.com but it is pretty hard to find a good source.

If any one can direct me or has some useful information, that would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Max

Hi Max

You have to be more specific.

Are you asking for a per day price, per person, without extras, such as gratuities, drink packages etc..? A ballpark numbers would be something like between $50-$500 (this upper number can certainly go higher). This would depend on ship, destination, length of cruise, and most importantly being the type of accommodations.

hope this helps

Actually, the average ticket price is probably available through CLIA, but whether or not it will help would depend on the reason the OP is looking for the info. If the purpose it to find out how much people spend on cruise tickets in a given year (to compare to other modes of travel, or other years), it would make sense. If it's to try and determine what one should pay for a cruise ticket, it would be totally useless.

Actually, the average ticket price is probably available through CLIA, but whether or not it will help would depend on the reason the OP is looking for the info. If the purpose it to find out how much people spend on cruise tickets in a given year (to compare to other modes of travel, or other years), it would make sense. If it's to try and determine what one should pay for a cruise ticket, it would be totally useless.

Hi,

I've been looking at CLIA for that given information but couldn't find anything. Where did you find this info?

Kind regards

Kind regards,

Max

Ignoring the fact that the data set is probably not definable and not available, Wikipedia has 14 definitions for how you calculate average - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average.

Bet that you did not know that.

DON

It depends on the cabin size and position; time of year; itinerary; popularity etc, as well as all the extras.

We've had a last minute inside for 11 nights just before the Christmas time rush, for under £600; we've had similar 11 days in warm weather for £1,200.

Hi,

I've been looking at CLIA for that given information but couldn't find anything. Where did you find this info?

Kind regards

I agree with the other posters that your question is far too general. Even within a specific cruise line on the same itinerary and different dates the pricing can vary a lot. And you have to factor in whether utilities are included, what kind of amenities, taxes and fees, etc.

calliopecruiser had a good suggestion to contact CLIA but I don't think they had a specific finding for you. I suggest that you contact CLIA. You could also try a Travel Agent but you need to be up front with everyone if you are doing research for a paper as opposed to purchasing a cruise. If you're not and they find out after you will be thought of as deceptive. As well a TA makes their living by doing that sort of work and if you are taking their time you are taking their income. Some might be more generous than others.

That said you are in luck if you hurry. This is CLIA's "Plan a cruise month" and a representative will be reviewing questions on this board here on CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1111

You might want to post your question there but I suggest you are narrowly focused and specific so you don't get a general non-answer as you have so far here.

This is indeed one of the silliest questions I have seen on CC.

First, given the extremely broad range of "cruises": bottom of the line ships to top luxury, three day booze cruise to three month circumnavigation, off-season to peak season - you name if. The thing needs first to be defined: what is a cruise?

Second, what is an "average"? Are we talking about mode, median or arithmetic mean - to name just a few of the types of "averages" researchers look for.

"Silly" is an inadequate concept when it comes to thinking about the question.