Self Serve Laundry Grace Period Before You Remove "Abandoned" Load

SargassoPirate

We like using the self-laundry on Princess and other lines.  We bring a book and one of us will hang around during the wash and dry cycles.

Often, we arrive to find a washer or two stopped with a load of wet laundry sitting there.  My thinking is give the person 10 minutes and then remove their stuff and proceed with our wash.   On more than one occasion we've run the washer and dryer and that wet laundry is still sitting there.

How much time would you give a "laundry hog"?

• Like 1

If you wait for more than a half hour and no one shows up, then I think you have every right to remove their wet clothes.

If they don't care enough about their laundry to stay with it, they are denying use of the machines for everyone else.

As far as dryers go, same thing.....but don't just pile their clothes up on top and throw yours in.  It would be polite to quickly fold the items so they are not totally wrinkled when they are eventually retrieved.  We were always told to do that back in the college days when we had coin operated machines in the dorms.  

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

We like using the self-laundry on Princess and other lines.  We bring a book and one of us will hang around during the wash and dry cycles.

Often, we arrive to find a washer or two stopped with a load of wet laundry sitting there.  My thinking is give the person 10 minutes and then remove their stuff and proceed with our wash.   On more than one occasion we've run the washer and dryer and that wet laundry is still sitting there.

I’m thinking you’re pretty generous!  I’m with c-boy on a quick look out the door to see whether somebody is hustling down to the laundry room.  If the washer or dryer is stopped, I have no idea how long things have been there and it’s my turn now.

• Like 4

Unofficial Laundry Procedure

1)      Put laundry, soap in washer and deposit token

2)      Go to the nearest bar and enjoy one and only one drink

3)      Return to laundry room and place clothing into dryer

4)      Deposit token

5)      Go to another bar and enjoy one and only one drink

6)      Return to laundry room for clean and dry laundry

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

If you wait for more than a half hour and no one shows up, then I think you have every right to remove their wet clothes.

If they don't care enough about their laundry to stay with it, they are denying use of the machines for everyone else.

As far as dryers go, same thing.....but don't just pile their clothes up on top and throw yours in.  It would be polite to quickly fold the items so they are not totally wrinkled when they are eventually retrieved.  We were always told to do that back in the college days when we had coin operated machines in the dorms.  

lol if that's the rule then everyone would leave their laundry for others to fold, wouldn't you think?  Sorry, but I'm not folding other people's laundry simply because they left it unattended.  I do more than enough with 2 teens.  haha

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

Looking at it from the other side, I thought a laundry hog might be the one who was hasty in throwing my stuff out of the washing machine.

The first time I ever used a Princess laundry room was on a Panama Canal cruise in 2015. Someone told me the washers took about a half hour. So I put in my stuff, dropped a token and went back to view the canal transit. Came back in 27 minutes to find someone had already dumped my stuff on some corner table (and of course all the dryers were full). So I thought the impatient person who couldn't wait 2 or 3 minutes was the "laundry hog."

Jim

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, josher_m said:

lol if that's the rule then everyone would leave their laundry for others to fold, wouldn't you think?  Sorry, but I'm not folding other people's laundry simply because they left it unattended.  I do more than enough with 2 teens.  haha

So true. Confrontations can occur because the "hog" gets angry that other people touch their personal items. IMHO, best to take it out and simply place it neatly (but clearly not folded) somewhere visible but (ha ha) probably not out in the hallway.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Diver2014 said:

How much would you expect to be tipped for folding  laundry since you're not in the tipping pool? LOL

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Haha 2

Each laundry facility onboard Princess ships has sinage indicating the length of time the washers and dryers take to finish each load. Setting a personal timer on your phones or watches should be adequate enough to inform you that your clothes are ready for removal. Any machine idle for more than 10 minutes is fair game. If you don't want anyone touching your clothes, be mindful of the time.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Mom33 said:

Each laundry facility onboard Princess ships has signage indicating the length of time the washers and dryers take to finish each load.

I can't say you're wrong, but I've sailed on a lot of Princess ships and never seen these signs. Are they really on every ship?

Jim

7 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

I can't say you're wrong, but I've sailed on a lot of Princess ships and never seen these signs. Are they really on every ship?

Jim

In the laundry rooms that I have used on Princess ships, the signs are there. I've been on 17 cruises on 10 different Princess  ships.

I set the timer on my phone when we did laundry last year.  I made it back a smidge after it stopped.  No one took it out, but I did take it out on my own so someone else could use it while I waited for a dryer. I ended up chatting while it was drying because there were people coming in and out. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

No way am I going to fold someone else's laundry.  I just pile it in a neat but unfolded heap in the laundry room.

DON

• Like 2

This is why a man should never do laundry. Thought I would do a load of darks. Asked DW if she wanted to add something. She tossed me a $50 pair of Levi's. Wash went well, (1 drink). Dry, (2 drinks), not so well. Load had been tossed onto folding table minus DW's jeans. Still in doghouse. My bad...

There are also ironing boards and irons on every ship...correct? (We are sailing the Crown) Never thought to do laundry on vacation, but my husband’s shirts can be a wrinkled mess after unpacking.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chefchick said:

There are also ironing boards and irons on every ship...correct? (We are sailing the Crown) Never thought to do laundry on vacation, but my husband’s shirts can be a wrinkled mess after unpacking.

Yes.