What’s your favorite NCL ship?

Phaedrus78

I’m still relatively new to NCL, having taken a cruise on the Epic in January, and with another scheduled on the Encore this coming January. The negative reviews for the Epic worried me a bit, and while I understood and agreed with some of the points I still had a great time. Going in I have more worries about the Encore (no Spice?  Really?) but I’m sure it’ll be another fun vacation. 

I’m curious on the opinions of some of the veterans though on what they consider to be their favorite ship. I know for the most part the ships of similar classes are more alike than different. But if you were planning a cruise based just on the ship, disregarding itinerary entirely, which would you pick?  Why’s it the best for you?

I think each ship has its own unique charm.  I am hoping Encore will be my favorite ship.  Currently my favorite is still Epic. She was ahead of her time and definitely has lots of quirks.  But she still has the largest spa and gym at sea 10 years after her launch.  The venues are large and can take the crowds and Spice has a real pool and tiered seating, etc.  Best studio lounges, nightclub, Posh, Haven etc. I could go on forever.  I don't care that much for the Breakaway class.  I think NCL became too cautious because of the flack Epic got.  So the ship is more sterile although the waterfront is a great addition.  

Edited by david_sobe

Any ship that I'm on!

Would have to say my favorite is the ESCAPE

I liked the DAWN before they took the spinnaker lounge out and turned it into suites.

We will be on the BLISS for 2weeks, I think that will be our new favorite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronbe65 said:

Phaedrus78,

This is an important question for those who are planning a cruise. 

You have mentioned a couple of things that are critical for the ships ratings.

Yes, "for the most part the ships of similar classes are more alike than different", but those parts that are different may play a key role in the ship rating (quality of the cruising experience overall).

Think of two almost identical homes with the only difference: there is no kitchen in one of them, so you you'll be cooking in the living room or so...

A good ship will give you possibilities to cruise in your own style. You want to mix with a fun crowd - yes. You want to relax in a quiet lounge - yes. You want a bung-bung poolside activities - yes. You want a quiet sun deck away from the "fun time" craziness - yes. Etc., etc... 

"The negative reviews worried a bit, but we had a great time" is another popular mantra. It's true because cruising a pleasure, and all cruise ships sail full (the best ones and the worst ones). "A cruise is what you make of it" - another banality that is used to death.

However, it's obvious that one can have a better cruise on a better ship. So why not choose a better ship for your well deserved vacation?

The Breakaway/Getaway  have been the best ships ever built for NCL ("epic" lessons learnt!) until the recent Getaway refit. The cruise line decided that having a nice relaxing sun deck for free is too good for NCL passengers. The deck is now closed off (it's an extension to the Vibe). The Getaway is now "a home with no kitchen" - an example of how greedy cruise lines reduce the level of quality they once achieved (in favor of extra revenue).

So the Breakaway (until this ship is "improved" the same way) is the single best NCL ship at the moment.

I am reluctant to give the Escape the second position (there is nothing to justify the addition of hundreds pax to the Breakaway "platform"), but I have to - considering the current availability.

These are the two ships I can recommend. For me, to recommend  means to be responsible for what I recommend.

Another pair of NCL ships that I would suggest to consider as possible options are the Getaway and the Bliss. These options are possible with a careful review of the negative facts about these ships.

This is where I stop with my NCL mega ships recommendations.

What to avoid?

I would suggest to stay far from the Epic. All the problems of this Mistake of the Seas are well known. However, under certain conditions I would consider this ship for a Mediterranean cruise (spa & specialty restaurants).

I believe the new Encore is a product of an ill-minded design. I just wonder how this may happen at all. Just a view of the upper decks is nauseating (IMO). For sure I will not set my foot on this ship.

Happy cruising!

Well that's a long post but I have to say I disagree with most of it.

Ships do not always sail full, there are rare moments when they are not, take the inaugural transatlantic of the Bliss, the ship was definitely not full.

I haven't been on the Breakaway or Getaway but I have been on the Bliss and the Escape and based on what I know of those ships plus what I have picked up from other passengers I find it hard to believe that Breakaway and Getaway have been the best ships ever built for NCL.

I loved the Epic.

I don't know anything about the Encore except that you haven't given it a chance.

The best NCL cruise I've had to date was on a newly refurbished Jade and as such that is my favourite at the moment, although the itinerary helped so much, after that it would have to be the Bliss.

Hard to answer: everyone is looking for something different when sailing and from the answers so far you can pretty much tell the age group different cruisers fall into. Mega ships attract the young and middle age cruisers, small ships attract the older groups I am guessing. 

For us, as the oldsters in the group, we love the Sun and the Dawn, followed by the Jewel class ships. As for the mega ships, though they are not our favorite we are going on the Breakaway for the second time in just a month and are excited about it. 

12 hours ago, Phaedrus78 said:

I’m still relatively new to NCL, having taken a cruise on the Epic in January, and with another scheduled on the Encore this coming January. The negative reviews for the Epic worried me a bit, and while I understood and agreed with some of the points I still had a great time. Going in I have more worries about the Encore (no Spice?  Really?) but I’m sure it’ll be another fun vacation. 

I’m curious on the opinions of some of the veterans though on what they consider to be their favorite ship. I know for the most part the ships of similar classes are more alike than different. But if you were planning a cruise based just on the ship, disregarding itinerary entirely, which would you pick?  Why’s it the best for you?

I am also sailing Encore in January and, right now, that's my favorite ship because it's the one I'm going on next.

While I have some concerns about the design/amenities, it'll be brand new, I'll get to see Choir of Man again along with Kinky Boots, NCL will be putting it's best forward as it'll be the ships 10th sailing and I'll be on vacation in the Caribbean during winter in NY.

Right now, it's the best ship ever!

Been on the Epic 3 times and the BA twice. I gave the BIG ships a good try. Don't like them at all.

Had a great 20 day cruise on the Sun and love its layout.

Most of my NCL cruises have been on the Jewel Class. Love sailing the Gem out of NYC. Favorite features: Great Outdoors and wrap around Promenade Deck.

We have been on all of the NCL’s current ships except the Joy and Sky. We will be going on the Encore in Nov for the inaugural TA.

We do not really have a favorite as each ship has its own pros and cons.

We prefer the larger class ships for the TAs as they are ideal for many sea days and we like having a wide variety of dining venues to go to.

For the port intensive cruises we prefer the Spirit.

We have always had good time, service, meals etc on the ships, and haven’t had a bad cruise.

There was one time we had a bad room steward. 

We we have been on several of the ships more than twice, no two cruises are the same - it all depends on the crew rotation.

So we go along with the flow, itinerary and whatever crew that is on the ship at the time.

My favorite  is the Epic... the rooms are interesting  and it's a fun ship lots of places to go and things to do. 

My least favorite  is the sky. That ship should have never been made it out of design. Talk a walk and run into dead ends way to often. 

Ships been on. Epic sky getaway Breakaway dawn spirit wind.

1 hour ago, redsoxgal31gosox said:

Ships been on. Epic sky getaway Breakaway dawn spirit wind.

Loved the Wind - that was our first NCL Cruise, during her final season in Hawaii...

For NCL - We've been on the Wind, Dawn, Jade, Epic, Spirit & Jewel...

We've enjoyed every cruise

Our least favorite is easy  --  the Dawn, many years ago - mainly food & service issues.  Through joining Cruise Critic, we learned to upgrade to what was then Ultimate Dining (unlimited) & that really made all the difference.

Our Favorite is much tougher:

Wind - our first NCL ship - Hawaii to Fanning Island & our Honeymoon - missed the ship on boarding day, caught up on the Big Island - that's another story...  Not a great start - but a Great Trip!

Jade - Booked for Itinerary (Eastern Med, Turkey & Egypt) - However, the day b/4 Egypt, we did the 180 & headed to Istanbul, start of the Arab Spring Uprising.  Startling to say the least to plan for 80F weather & get off the ship to cold & snowing 🙂  All & all - still a great trip & memories...

Epic - booked as a side to side over Thanksgiving Holidays (Western Caribbean).  Started on the Princess Regal (Eastern Caribbean) & 2nd week on the Epic.  Lots of fun - for us the Ultimate Dining & Beverage packages were new.  I classify the Epic as a Floating Las Vegas - we did notice that we spent less time outdoors than normal.

Spirit - again booked for the itinerary - Fantastic Service & Crew!!! 

Jewel - itinerary (Transpacific - Vancouver to Yokohama) - Absolutely Amazing Cruise Critic Group & most FUN cruise ever!!!

I believe @ this time it's a tie between the Spirit & the Jewel for favorite ship (not cruise - ship).  We are departing on the Getaway in just over 30 days.  As a rule we enjoy the mid-size ships - but you never know...  The Waterfront looks amazing 🙂

I’ve been on 3 ships with the waterfront, and while I always read on CC that it is amazing, I have never seen the appeal.  On the Breakaway and Getaway, way too windy and smoky (Getaway mainly, likely accessed it in a smoking section) and on the Escape just dead and lame. As in no one there at all.  Even the famed 5 o’clock somewhere bar was just dead.  I keep wanting to like it, but I still can’t see why people rave about it on CC.