Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
havanadaydreaming

BEST thing you've done in Cozumel from Carnival port?

Recommended Posts

First, I hope this doesn't get moved to the Cozumel board.  I don't know where that is, but admittedly haven't put much effort into finding it. 

Second, I want suggestions from Carnival cruisers. 

 

Why?  Well, we've been to Cozumel 2x on two different cruise lines and the piers were, what, 5 miles away from each other?  I know the prices can be somewhat pricey to get to places further from the cruise port your ship is at via cab, so that could be a small factor.   We have a party of 6 so im thinking at least two cabs will be needed to get wherever we wind up going. 

 

What's the best thing you've done in Cozumel?  

 

Could be all inclusive, beach, excursion, restaurant, shopping...im open to any and all suggestions.   I've spent most of my time at the two Margaritavilles (im a parrothead and my wife rates their tableside guacamole as the best she's ever had) but this time im looking for wow the adult kiddos...they've never been to Cozumel. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may have been because it was my first trip there, but I really liked Chankanaab. Really nice property.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have enjoyed everything we have done in Cozumel and under the right circumstances would do it all again.  Nachi Cocoum  Mr. Sancho's and Playa Mia were great all inclusive.   Nachi quite and laid back (would do again with just the hubs), Mr. Sancho's a little more party but still family safe (great for traveling with teens), Playa Mia more family children kind of place.  Paradise Beach was our favorite for a few 3 or so trips and is a great place we tried to venture out for the more all inclusive which they have since added and we plan to visit there again. We also did a Jeep excursion around the island when my husband had some health issues and we did not want to hang in the sun all day.  Good thing it rained on and off all day but the sun was our when we stopped to explore.   I would do any of these again. In fact net April has Mr. Sancho's written all over it. 

 

Happy cruising,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My suggestion, since you have so many people, is to just hire a driver for the day. Much cheaper than just taking a couple of taxis to one place and back... If you really want to "wow" the adult kids, visit the rustic East side of the island. There are several beach bars over there, and they're not as crowded as the pier side bars. From the Carnival port, I would stop first at Rasta Bar. Great coconut shrimp and whole fried fish, and don't forget to try the peanut butter tequila. Next, check out 25 hour bar / Miami bar. The best mojito on Earth as well as great and unique margaritas, made with fresh fruit right before your eyes. Senor Iguana has the best ceviche on the island, and right next door is my favorite bar in Cozumel, Mezcalitos... Great margaritas and food.

 

After that, you can check out San Miguel, or "downtown"... Lots of great restaurant's, bars, and shopping if that's your thing. Afterwards, have the driver drop you back off at the Carnival pier...

 

My go-to driver is Black Hat Cozumel. You can contact them on Facebook or their website...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

 

First, I hope this doesn't get moved to the Cozumel board. 

 

I don't know where that is, but admittedly haven't put much effort into finding it. 

 

 

 

 

'Ports Of Call' section on Cruise Critic, then click on 'Caribbean', then click on 'Cozumel'.

 

The Cozumel section of Cruise Critic is located @:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/131-cozumel/

 

Ports Of Call section located @:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2-ports-of-call/

 

 

☺️

Edited by ObstructedView2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for Nachi Cocoum here .

Been there 4 times , and will book again next Cozumel visit.

Reasonably priced , max 135 guest , books up early .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We took a taxi to Chankanaab Park and spent the day there relaxing and swimming. There are food and drinks available.

 

More often, we take a taxi downtown, stroll through shops, and then have lunch at one of the outdoor bistros. Take a taxi back to the pier afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

search "Fishing with Pedro Cozumel"

 

you don't have to do fishing part.  let them know you want to do Snorkeling and go to El Cielo.

 

or you can do Fishing and El Cielo.

 

El Cielo was incredibly beautiful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time I went to Cozumel, we hired driver for the day right at the taxi stand.  It was a van and it held 6 of us comfortably.  We spent approximately 5 hours with us as we toured different highlights of the island, including the Mayan Ruins, Bob Marley beach strip, and the usual highlights.  The second time we went, it was 5 of us and we hired a taxi driver to take us to an offsite ATV location where we spent about 30-40 minutes riding (don't recall where exactly) and then he drove us to the beach where we spent about 1.5 hour.  I don't believe t was associated believe with a resort, but it was on the side of a road and had a bar that sold food, souvenir shop and lounge chairs & umbrella for rent.  The last time we went to Cozumel, we opted to take a taxi from port to Mr. Sanchos  for an all inclusive day pass.  We have enjoyed all of these visits to Cozumel.  Each was different in its own right.  I enjoyed all.  You can basically build what you want at the port with each of the drivers.  They have already designated trips with posted prices or you can negotiate your own.  All were significantly cheaper than the cruiseline excursion and got us back in plenty of time to make the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've done a bunch of the excursions Carnival has offered since first going there in 2002 aboard the Celebration. Now we do our own thing.
 

 Passion Island = beautiful, longer commute, lesser time at the beach and waited in line for food. Been there once, won't go back.

 Playa Mia = the best choice in my opinion for those with younger kids that want a water park and the beauty of the beach.

 Mr. Sanchos = a party, and a big one. Lots to do, swim out inflatables and chairs crowded together. If I were under 40 I'd go there every time.

 Nachi Cocom = our go to place for the past decade. It's all-inclusive, the food and drinks are great, you order off the menu and even on New Years Eve it wasn't crowded.

 The vendors that offer deep water snorkeling, parasailing, banana boats and jet skis work all the beach resorts along this side of the island and we've had a blast.

 Chankanaab (sp) spectacular. We've experienced the dolphin swim here and enjoyed a couple of visits after. The wade out to the snorkeling is over rocks in some areas and a little treacherous.
 Segway Tour = perhaps the most boring one we've ever experienced. We rode one way along side the road to a beach, had one drink and then rode back. I'm done.

 Jeep and Tequila = oh boy, driving in Mexico, alcohol and two lane roads, what could go wrong? We liked it, but our tour guide trashed the other brands of tequila that weren't part of our stops.
Catamaran Trip = good time, lots of alcohol and music at 97.9% distortion.

Xcaret = amazing place, limited time there and the potential for a rough ride across the bay on the ferry coming back. Trust me, don't go inside and sit down. I fish Galveston bay a lot, and I get people up in the breeze and they are better.
The Ruins = go see them. We have, and it was a great cultural experience.

Mayan Ruins Ball Game and Lunch = OK. It was too cold to swim so we went. Won't go back.

Atlantis Submarine = we sent my parents years ago and they loved it.

Beach Buggy, Off Road whatever = we've done three or four of these and they are all the same. You ride at a slower speed in a single-file line and there is always that "one guy" that acts like a fool. We got stopped as a group because he spun the wheels in his Jeep in the streets of Cozumel. I'm good...

Food Tours = we live along the Texas coast, Tex-Mex is the order of the day, and we eat enough to feed a family in a developing country for a few weeks. Eating big on an excursion doesn't interest my wife and I.
The attached images are from Nachi Cocom and Mr. Sanchos.

 

 See you at Nachi Cocom in a few weeks.

 

.
 

 

DSCF0089.JPG

DSCF0093.JPG

DSCF0098-001.JPG

DSCF0099-001.JPG

DSCF0100.JPG

DSCF0103.JPG

DSCF0105.JPG

DSCF0115-001.JPG

DSCF0118-001.JPG

DSCF0120.JPG

DSCF0122-001.JPG

DSCF0221.JPG

DSCF0239.JPG

DSCF0246.JPG

DSCF0267.JPG

DSCF0272.JPG

DSCF0274.JPG

GOPR2748.JPG

GOPR2754.JPG

GOPR2786.JPG

GOPR2793.JPG

GOPR2805.JPG

GOPR2815.JPG

GOPR2818.JPG

GOPR2823.JPG

GOPR2824.JPG

IMG_0419-001.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

 

Edited by BallFour4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow, much thanks to all for the incredible feedback! 

 

(my eldest son is getting married next weekend and is being stationed in Cuba early next year, this is kind of our last hurrah for a family trip.  the two youngest are in college and I know I'm running out of time before they, too, get in serious relationships and get too busy "Cat's in the Cradle" style for dear old dad)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been to Cozumel a number of times. I haven't been to all the places are done all the Carnival excursions, but we went on an all-inclusive catamaran cruise and it was awesome through the cruise line, but it was just my husband and I.  I have also been to Xel-ha twice and love it if you're staying on the Mayan Riviera, but it seems like it would be a long trip if you're taking it off the cruise ship. I asked recently on the cozamel board what they recommended for a large group because we're going to be there in December with 8 people including two kids ages 5 and 7.  They recommended getting a cab to Chankanaab.  If you Google it, it looks like a neat place.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite Cozumel excursion ever is La Casa En La Playa through Carnival. It's not cheap, but a it's a very limited small group excursion where you are pampered like royalty with all inclusive drinks and food prepared by a private chef. We've done this twice at 2 locations in Cozumel and loved it both times.

Edited by Pyxie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ball4Four did a nice job explaining all the options but I will weigh in too and say Mr. Sanchos is awesome. we did it in 2017 and going back in 2 weeks. 
$50 all you can eat and drink and you can reserve it online at their site for $5. Taxi there is about $20 including tip I think.

We had met friends on the ship and had so much fun with them. Everyone was friendly and fun including new people we met. Food and drinks were good and there's some shopping area too. there is a water playground too and other stuff but we just hung out and enjoyed ourselves. can't wait to do it again. A friend from our hometown recommended it and they've gone several times too. We love it. Follow their Facebook page to get a better idea of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Passion Island by Catamaran was fun, but once was plenty.  Beautiful, but pricey.

Chankanaab was nice

Our favorite was when we hired a driver for island tour.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband and I are sailing to Cozumel in 2 weeks. We have booked a private dune buggy tour with http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.net. You can tell them where you want to visit on the island and off you go with a private tour guide. This includes entrance fees to Punta Sur Ecological Park and lighthouse, a tequila tasting. and then snorkeling and lunch at Playa Uvas.

 

Just a few of the places you can visit on the tour:

Wild side of the island

San Gervasio Mayan Ruins
El Cedral (Small Mayan Village with small ruins)
Beach Bar/Restaurants
Shopping
San Miguel Tour (Tour the Small Town of San Miguel Cozumel)
Cozumel Beach Clubs (Offer a Pool, Beach Activities, Water sports etc.)
Wave Runners
Punta Sur Park
Tequila Tour

Edited by wickky
added info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taxi to San Francisco beach and parasailing at much less cost than a cruise line's excursion - young adults love that!

 

Walk around downtown and eat at a locally-owned restaurant on the seafront.  The best guacamole I've ever eaten was in one of those; I could guide you back there but not name the place; sorry about that!

 

If you have some skills in Spanish and or are into educational outings, stop in the Mega Store (a bit like a small WalMart) to see the items, food packages, etc.  Buy your lunch and go have a picnic somewhere!   Also, there is a bowling alley a few blocks away from the seafront in the downtown area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is downtown just shopping etc? I’m assuming this is the area on the pier? That’s the only place we went to.  Don’t really want excursions just go walk around for a hour or two.

does taxis take dollars?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Downtown San Miguel is several miles from the carnival pier.  I haven't spent much time there but I'd like to sometime. 

 

Taxis we have taken did take American currency.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, desiree741 said:

So is downtown just shopping etc? I’m assuming this is the area on the pier? That’s the only place we went to.  Don’t really want excursions just go walk around for a hour or two.

does taxis take dollars?

Downtown is primarily shopping and restaurants. Cab fares in U.S. Dollars will be posted on a board near the taxi line for your pier. Expect to pay about $8 each way for up to 4 passengers in the cab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Downtown is primarily shopping and restaurants. Cab fares in U.S. Dollars will be posted on a board near the taxi line for your pier. Expect to pay about $8 each way for up to 4 passengers in the cab.

Thank you John 🙂 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 2:48 PM, BallFour4 said:

We've done a bunch of the excursions Carnival has offered since first going there in 2002 aboard the Celebration. Now we do our own thing.
 

 Passion Island = beautiful, longer commute, lesser time at the beach and waited in line for food. Been there once, won't go back.

 Playa Mia = the best choice in my opinion for those with younger kids that want a water park and the beauty of the beach.

 Mr. Sanchos = a party, and a big one. Lots to do, swim out inflatables and chairs crowded together. If I were under 40 I'd go there every time.

 Nachi Cocom = our go to place for the past decade. It's all-inclusive, the food and drinks are great, you order off the menu and even on New Years Eve it wasn't crowded.

 The vendors that offer deep water snorkeling, parasailing, banana boats and jet skis work all the beach resorts along this side of the island and we've had a blast.

 Chankanaab (sp) spectacular. We've experienced the dolphin swim here and enjoyed a couple of visits after. The wade out to the snorkeling is over rocks in some areas and a little treacherous.
 Segway Tour = perhaps the most boring one we've ever experienced. We rode one way along side the road to a beach, had one drink and then rode back. I'm done.

 Jeep and Tequila = oh boy, driving in Mexico, alcohol and two lane roads, what could go wrong? We liked it, but our tour guide trashed the other brands of tequila that weren't part of our stops.
Catamaran Trip = good time, lots of alcohol and music at 97.9% distortion.

Xcaret = amazing place, limited time there and the potential for a rough ride across the bay on the ferry coming back. Trust me, don't go inside and sit down. I fish Galveston bay a lot, and I get people up in the breeze and they are better.
The Ruins = go see them. We have, and it was a great cultural experience.

Mayan Ruins Ball Game and Lunch = OK. It was too cold to swim so we went. Won't go back.

Atlantis Submarine = we sent my parents years ago and they loved it.

Beach Buggy, Off Road whatever = we've done three or four of these and they are all the same. You ride at a slower speed in a single-file line and there is always that "one guy" that acts like a fool. We got stopped as a group because he spun the wheels in his Jeep in the streets of Cozumel. I'm good...

Food Tours = we live along the Texas coast, Tex-Mex is the order of the day, and we eat enough to feed a family in a developing country for a few weeks. Eating big on an excursion doesn't interest my wife and I.
The attached images are from Nachi Cocom and Mr. Sanchos.

 

 See you at Nachi Cocom in a few weeks.

 

.
 

 

DSCF0089.JPG

DSCF0093.JPG

DSCF0098-001.JPG

DSCF0099-001.JPG

DSCF0100.JPG

DSCF0103.JPG

DSCF0105.JPG

DSCF0115-001.JPG

DSCF0118-001.JPG

DSCF0120.JPG

DSCF0122-001.JPG

DSCF0221.JPG

DSCF0239.JPG

DSCF0246.JPG

DSCF0267.JPG

DSCF0272.JPG

DSCF0274.JPG

GOPR2748.JPG

GOPR2754.JPG

GOPR2786.JPG

GOPR2793.JPG

GOPR2805.JPG

GOPR2815.JPG

GOPR2818.JPG

GOPR2823.JPG

GOPR2824.JPG

IMG_0419-001.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

 

 

Thanks for such a comprehensive list! Your pictures are making me drool. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...