Are you booking new cruises or hesitant?

firefly333

I'm watching prices, to see if any bargains, due to the virus. So far not, I guess people locked in so no last minute deals

My parents are elderly so my fear is if I got exposed I'd get them sick. 

My cousins friend just came off a cruise with a cold, even that I'd hate to give to my parents and I do all their driving, but we can arrange things so they can do without me. My parents are 101 and 93 so my worry isnt overblown.

So far the only deal is a short rcl cruise in sept, but I hate to lock myself in, rather a 7 day. Sept is my birthday so I like to go then. 

Does the virus make anyone think twice  or just me. I'm obviously older than most here. 

• Like 1

I am in your age group and looking forward to my cruise out of Galveston next month.  I have another one booked for early September.

Of course circumstances change but right now I wouldn't hesitate to book whatever Caribbean cruise I wanted.

Edited by bury me at sea

Retired, not concerned, and still booking.  Two on the books for June and July.  Just booked one for August the other day.  Looking a NYE as well.  Will monitor the corona situation and react accordingly to the CDC guidelines and cruise policies in place.  Always book with refundable deposits and book air through the cruise lines as refundable fares due at final payment, along with insurance to mitigate any financial risk.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Older here, too.  Have a cruise booked for March; two in June, and one for next Jan.  But I wouldn't be looking at Asia.  Not because of this, but we aren't up to the looong flights in economy, and no way can afford business or 1st class.  EM

Even a cold would endanger my parents at their age. And I've gotten a cold onboard before.

Just getting hesitant to book more than a week or 2 ahead.

This was posted to the carnival boards specifically... but I guess hosts seemed it generic.

I'm looking for out of Galveston so my choices are limited.

Last b2b I caught a cold on the first leg, 2nd leg miserable. They screen first leg, but I got sick while on the first week. 

My parents live 5 minutes away, but close and I do all their driving and both have what would be termed underlying conditions and are fragile, though still live alone.

1 hour ago, bury me at sea said:

I am in your age group and looking forward to my cruise out of Galveston next month.  I have another one booked for early September.

Of course circumstances change but right now I wouldn't hesitate to book whatever Caribbean cruise I wanted.

Thanks, your reply is closest to what I'm looking at.  ... out of Galveston.

I dont want to deal with a flight, hotel   .. the rest.

I've gotten sick more than once on a cruise. I'm afraid to touch the hand rails on steps. I dont work any more so my immune system isnt as high as if I was around a lot of people daily. 

Even a cold  ... with my dad now 101 ... 

The only reason I mentioned the virus was more because I thought might be some good deals coming up ... not because I'm especially afraid out of texas. Just might have some good deals. 

Sorry... I didnt say china etc since this was posted to the carnival boards and got moved and they dont go there, so wasnt considering it. But thanks for your replies.

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Does the virus make anyone think twice  or just me. I'm obviously older than most here. 

Yep it does make me think twice but not for the reason you cite.  I am due to sail in a few weeks time and will be cancelling that cruise despite having paid for it, unless I can find a buyer for it beforehand.   I also have 2 other cruises booked this year and and 3 more next year which I will be cancelling but not due to Coronavirus, because I've had enough of the particular cruise line and am determined now to try another.

The issue for me with my immediate cruises is that I feel certain that a number of ports will be missed on the itinerary due to the Coronavirus situation.   Ports like Gibraltar have implemented new protocols which require all ships coming in to declare if they have any passengers or crew on-board displaying cold/flu symptoms.  If there are any, Gibraltar will deny people permission to disembark.  I gave links to the Gibraltar protocols in one of the other Cronavirus threads.

Since there are always people with cold//flu symptoms on-board common sense tells me that numerous ports will likely refuse entry.  Just my opinion.   I don't personally think it's worth shelling out £000s on a cruise where your itinerary is likely to be impacted in that way.  Add to that the smaller risk that someone on board might have Coronavirus resulting in the entire ship being quarantined and the net result for me is simply to cease cruising altogether at this time, to take stock and wait to see how the virus situation develops.   The money we would have spent on cruises will now go toward a new kitchen :-)

I am sorry you are cancelling and losing money on so many cruises.

I agree there are always sick people onboard who dont answer honestly on that form. They know to admit to having a cold and be denied boarding they will lose their money so they lie. But now with this new virus and since it has same symptoms as even the flu, going to be hard to know which.

I heard a holland america ship was denied porting in japan yesterday and though I am sure I dont know all that's going on, I see your pt.

Lol I just spent another $12k on my kitchen. I had done a few smaller jobs but this was a complete gut. New appliances, took up tile floor, new wood look waterproof, new cabinets, new countertops, new back splash and 6 new led lights. I would have preferred quartz countertops.. but that's the only cut I made. 

So, now I can cruise again, lol. Wish I could share my contractor with you. Pretty awesome. 

Enjoy your kitchen, but I'm still sorry you are going to lose money cancelling cruises. I was thinking some might be doing that when I said might be some last minute deals.

20200110_092152.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No changes and no hesitation but then nothing I have planned is to Asia or until May.   Three months will give a clearer picture.  It's a massive overreaction to be cancelling cruises or any leisure travel now if it is months away and to non-Asian destinations.   

I have two cruises booked, one for March and one for April.  I am not concerned and think the more intensive screening might actually keep more sick people from boarding.  However, I don't have the same health concerns that you have.  If I did, I would consider holding off on a cruise for the time being.  Everyone's situation and concerns are different, so it's really a personal choice.

No hesitation.  Corona Viruses have been around for at least 20 years and the current outbreak will not be the last.  The flu has also been around for a long time and kill about 30,000 Americans in many years and an unknown but huge number worldwide,  Not to minimize these things, but it is just part of life.  One can always find a reason to stop traveling if they choose.

Hank

• Like 2

Firefly, my hat is off to you for your commitment to your parents.  I wish mine had lived longer but cigarettes took my mom when I was 23 and my dad a little over decade later.

Three cruises booked as well as a r/t flight to Seattle with my daughter for baseball.   No intention of cancelling and I’m much more concerned about the flu or a bad cold than this coronavirus. I was reading something the other day and it mentioned how nasty the top edges of airplane seats are since everyone touches them as they make their way down that narrow aisle.  I never thought of that before and will be washing my hands more on future flights.  

20 hours ago, jdemps said:

I'm not worried about getting the nova coronavirus,

- the flu maybe, but not the virus the media has everyone going crazy over.

Yeaahh but bear in mind

it's the media's job to keep the public Fear Factor high

so we're kept all jumpy and worried.

Heck, it makes the markets go up/down

and the Wall Street guys just love that!

• Thanks 1

I believe this will hit (hurt) the cruise industry as much as 9-11. This is a serious virus that will kill a large number of people world wide. We are talking about cruise ships that corral a large number of people close together touching and breathing next to each other. It's not the Noro, which basically makes for an unpleasant few days. The coronavirus requires serious hospitalization. Kids and elderly are especially at risk. At the very least, the policy changes for how ships deal with minimalizing the spreading of viruses will likely be a hassle. We have been on a ship with Noro and that is not a fun cruise.

We have a river cruise and Tahiti cruise planned this year and so we are watching how travelers are being screened. Luckily, our Tahiti cruise is next October, so we believe how this will be sorted out by then. But, if we feel the risk is still there, our trips are insured. 

B

• Like 1

Have a Caribbean cruise in November and just booked a 12-day Alaska for May 2021.  We did just cancel our May 2020 Alaska cruise, only because my 100 yo mom who we live with just had major cancer surgery and we aren’t  confident she will be sufficiently recovered or level of home care she may now need (and who can provide that) during our absence.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I got an e-mail this morning from a cruise line offering 100 percent free shore excursions.I have heard of a lot of people cancelling cruises. I am not cancelling mine.

This makes no sense to me

What use is a free shore excursion if ports deny you entry or permission to disembark?!!

It's nonsense.   What the cruise line should be doing is GUARANTEEING that they will compensate passengers for EVERY PORT MISSED on the itinerary as a result of Coronavirus protocols.

They aren't doing that AFAIK.  Which means they don't really care and still want to take £millions in ticket prices from passengers whilst giving them a reduced itinerary.   Poor show.

I am cancelling my cruises, no question.   Just not worth the risk, and just not worth the money.

Edited by KnowTheScore