VIRUS: Any Proactive Suggestions?

Nangelina

We will be boarding Harmony on March 1st.  Of course, Covid19 is on our minds.  But we are going to have fun and are going to be proactive before boarding.  Clorox wipes to clean the cabin, masks (just in case), and an extra 3 weeks of our medications just in case.  It can't hurt to be proactive.  It's like carrying an umbrella and then it never rains.  Another other suggestions will be gladly appreciated.  

Wash you hands and hope that others will do likewise. Not just for Coronavirus, but for all illnesses that go around this time of year. 

Boarded  Rhapsody on Saturday, they asked us a lot of health questions. Like have i been in contact with someone who might have been to one of the countries with an outbreak Honestly, how do I know if someone behind me at the store has been in contact with an ill person or, has been to one of the countries with an outbreak. 

enjoy 

• Like 2

What we do on every cruise and maybe a bit more on our next three for this year. We always wipe down everything in our room that most everyone touches with sanitary wipes. I think this time we will wipe down the table we eat at with them and in the buffet have one in the hand when I grab the spoon to take the food. As usual wash your hands regularly and often. The disinfectant dispensers are a good idea but I have heard, use it to often and it becomes useless.

• Like 1

Just to put the corona virus into perspective, the CDC reports that as of January 18th:

"The latest FluView surveillance from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that as of January 18, 2020, there have been 15 million cases of flu, 140,000 hospitalizations, and 8200 deaths in the US this influenza season.

Although the agency is reporting that flu activity is high at this point in the season, severity markers, which include hospitalization and death, are not considered high at this time."

And that's just in the US.  Has anyone changed their travel plans because of 8200 people in the US dying from the flu this season?

I don't mean to downplay the corona virus at all, but it's also good to put some perspective on it.  How many people died in car accidents last year?  Did you stop driving your car?  My friends seem to take delight in telling me about every motorcycle accident within 100 miles, but I don't stop riding my Harley. 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Nangelina said:

We will be boarding Harmony on March 1st.  Of course, Covid19 is on our minds.  But we are going to have fun and are going to be proactive before boarding.  Clorox wipes to clean the cabin, masks (just in case), and an extra 3 weeks of our medications just in case.  It can't hurt to be proactive.  It's like carrying an umbrella and then it never rains.  Another other suggestions will be gladly appreciated.  

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.  Resanitize after you go through the buffet line and touch ladle handles, the bottom of your chair when you pull it in, and any condiment containers.  DO NOT lay your silverware directly on the table - the table may have been sneezed on and then wiped down with a used cloth napkin (seen it done).  Be suspicious of any food worker wearing plastic gloves - they  work well to keep the person's hands clean and are even more effective in spreading germs from one surface to another.  Sit for a bit and observe all of the surfaces a person wearing those gloves touches as well as your food. 

Essentially, break the chain between the dirty world out there and what you put in your mouth.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

My friends seem to take delight in telling me about every motorcycle accident within 100 miles, but I don't stop riding my Harley. 

Yeah, it's a broken record I hear a lot also. Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.  Resanitize after you go through the buffet line and touch ladle handles, the bottom of your chair when you pull it in, and any condiment containers.  DO NOT lay your silverware directly on the table - the table may have been sneezed on and then wiped down with a used cloth napkin (seen it done).  Be suspicious of any food worker wearing plastic gloves - they  work well to keep the person's hands clean and are even more effective in spreading germs from one surface to another.  Sit for a bit and observe all of the surfaces a person wearing those gloves touches as well as your food. 

Essentially, break the chain between the dirty world out there and what you put in your mouth.

Also good practice not to eat with your hands - and agree with everything you said 🙂

As the OP stated, the increase of awareness is not just the Corona virus but for viruses in general. This is the flu season. We had a severe outbreak of influenza on the Caribbean Princess during our British Isles cruise. They failed to notify passengers of the outbreak until 4 days after they had run out of Tamiflu and reported cases were still coming into the on board Medical Dept. There were, according to the letter they eventually sent out more than 1,000 passengers effected. 

Don't forget the masks as they will be good for the possible influenza especially if you are an immune risk. Noro or the old fashion stomach flu washing your hands often, Purell wipes or liquid and Lysol and or Clorox (read the label for Noro inclusion) for your cabin. I know they clean your cabin, but have you ever looked at the housekeeping cart? Lots of shared  cleaning utensils. Yuck!!

This is from the CDC:

The following can help prevent a person from catching or spreading the flu:

• limiting contact with sick people
  • staying home when ill
  • covering the nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing
  • washing the hands often
  • disinfecting surfaces that may contain flu germs
  • avoid touching the eyes, nose, and mouth
  • wearing a mask when leaving the house

The best method of prevention is to receive a flu vaccination every year. The flu vaccine can come as an injection or a nasal spray.

Thanks to all for this.  Some great suggestions.  Really have to stop shaking hands!!  Is hugging okay?   I usually get an extra set of silverware in WJ.  Then use the napkin as a placement on the table.  Must look for some hydrogen peroxide wipes - great idea.

We have decided to forgo our usual Spring cruises.  But have plans for some extended cruising starting in September.  Final payments begin June 4th so fingers crossed.  Can only hope that by then, this virus will be under control.  

NJ 

We’re also cruising next month. I have bought a bottle of antibacterial hand soap to put in our cabin bathroom. At home we use the Kleenex disposable hand towels when someone is sick, and I may bring some with us on board. I bring a small bottle of hand sanitizer to the WJ, since I think it’s kind of silly that they only have it at the entrance. We’re also doubled up on elderberry gummies right now too. 

2 hours ago, Drock20J said:

Most of the clorox wipes do not do anything against these kind of viruses.

What you should invest in, are the Hydrogen Peroxide wipes. It has been proven to kill Noro-virus and OTHER viruses in that vain.

I bought these from Amazon based on a suggestion I read on CC.