P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I learned very quickly to make sure that I wore my slippers when I looked after my niece's son when she was at work.

My initial guess about the ‘second painting’ was that it was going to be an electricity / gas bill or a petrol station. Both probably more painful than a Lego brick. 😱😱

• Like 6

On 5/28/2022 at 10:02 AM, zap99 said:

We are off to St Ives next week and will probably have some fish and chips and eat them sitting on the wall by the harbour

I love St Ives too , have a lovely time Zapp next week and hope it’s sunny for you and enjoy your seaside fish and chips🌞

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

We tried but Forests defence was just too well organised, although I thought the ref and VAR were wrong on both penalty claims.

Had they played the first half like they played the second it could have been different. I don’t think Forest will stay long in the PL without considerable investment. As a Stoke City season ticket holder, I wouldn’t mind Sorba Thomas swapping his blue and white for red and white. He certainly impressed me when they visited the Bet 365 Staduim.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Had they played the first half like they played the second it could have been different. I don’t think Forest will stay long in the PL without considerable investment. As a Stoke City season ticket holder, I wouldn’t mind Sorba Thomas swapping his blue and white for red and white. He certainly impressed me when they visited the Bet 365 Staduim.

Hands off Pete, he has just signed a new contract with us, so unless  a PL team comes along with silly money, then I hope he will be staying with us

We have docked in Belgrade this morning after 2 days in Budapest. This is our first river cruise and it is going well, lovely ship which is about 2/3full so not over crowded. Manchester airport was a pain with over an hour getting through bag drop but that is behind us now. The weather is warm and sunny with a fair forecast for the week ahead.

• Like 15

Lovely sunset in Wales last night followed by bouts of heavy rain which seemed to start just as I had managed to drop off to sleep again. I don’t know why the pictures are upside down. Sorry, but you get the idea. Mind you, upside down, they look quite artistic and if painted could sell for millions, especially as they are not separated from each other.

990D610E-B556-4770-994C-620E50F69FE8.jpeg

F45C89A7-0A45-4910-8D40-61CF79D177F3.jpeg

Edited by pete14
  • Like 8

Morning.

I ended up having to take some sturgeon yesterday, crazy that I had no problems while at sea, never mind, I feel better today. 

Yesterday morning I weighed myself and was happily surprised to find I had only gained 2lbs.

I spent yesterday evening looking at itineraries for May or June 2024. We're waiting to hear from our eldest daughter but if she and her little family want to come with us we will book Iona to Norway, the same itinerary as we've just done, but if they say no, we are thinking of booking Britannia at the end of May '24. She's going to Stavanger, which we didn't get to see, Olden, we can explore on our own or do a different excursion to this year and Flam & Bergen will be new ports for us. 

My long suffering husband is uncontactable today as he's in back to back meetings, so I think he's likely to come home to find that I've booked something 😄

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Morning.

I ended up having to take some sturgeon yesterday, crazy that I had no problems while at sea, never mind, I feel better today. 

Yesterday morning I weighed myself and was happily surprised to find I had only gained 2lbs.

I spent yesterday evening looking at itineraries for May or June 2024. We're waiting to hear from our eldest daughter but if she and her little family want to come with us we will book Iona to Norway, the same itinerary as we've just done, but if they say no, we are thinking of booking Britannia at the end of May '24. She's going to Stavanger, which we didn't get to see, Olden, we can explore on our own or do a different excursion to this year and Flam & Bergen will be new ports for us. 

My long suffering husband is uncontactable today as he's in back to back meetings, so I think he's likely to come home to find that I've booked something 😄

IMO Bergen is better than Stavanger and Flam is one of the 'big three' Fjord ports

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Morning.

She's going to Stavanger, which we didn't get to see, Olden, we can explore on our own or do a different excursion to this year and Flam & Bergen will be new ports for us. 

Stavanger has quite a lot to offer if you've not been before and hopefully without having to negotiate a wheelchair, very easy to explore on your own.  There's the old town (uphill and cobbles) of clapbosrd houses with roses round the doors, a lake to walk round behind the cathedral and lots of cafes from converted warehouses on the opposite side of the harbour from the old town.  There's a colourful street  rising up from this cafe area where there are more cafes and shops painted rainbow colours so very photogenic. If it's wet then the Oil Museum is surprisingly interesting too.  All very walkable. This year they don't seem to be offering the excursion to the Flor & Fjaere Gardens - our friends wanted to go there again after being blown away by their splendour on a previous visit but sadly haven't been able to book it on their Iona cruise next month.  But if it pops up again on other itineraries, I can recommend it. 

I don't know if the trip to the glacier (viewed from a distance) with the boat trip to Lovatnet Lake is on offer (not the Briksdal Glacier trip) but that's really worth doing from Olden.  We've booked to do that again on our next cruise. 

Flam is as good as Geiranger for getting into the far reaches of the fjords.  In fact it's more closed in so that you feel as though you are in a bowl surrounded by mountains.  Disregarding the Seven Sisters (which depending on the conditions/time of year might be more like 3/4 - it's probably good at the moment with snow melt contributing to the volume of water in the falls but isn't always so impressive) Flam gives you an excellent fjord experience.  They have developed Flam a lot over the years creating a microbrewery where it's expensive but a great experience to go for a drink.  You can walk up the valley to the Stave Church and of course there's the scenic railway ride.  So again, plenty of variety.  

Bergen has a different feel but adds to the variety. A must-do is to go up the funicular for the views at the top of Mt Floyen. (Get off early to beat the rush but easy access and much cheaper to DiY than a ship's trip).  Lovely walks in the parkland up there too. Then the Wharf buildings - the Bryggen is full of character and history and the market on the harbour is colourful and tempting with various take away options.  

That seems to me to be a very interesting itinerary and would give you some different experiences from your recent cruise.  I'd go for it! 😉

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kruzseeka said:

Stavanger has quite a lot to offer if you've not been before and hopefully without having to negotiate a wheelchair, very easy to explore on your own.  There's the old town (uphill and cobbles) of clapbosrd houses with roses round the doors, a lake to walk round behind the cathedral and lots of cafes from converted warehouses on the opposite side of the harbour from the old town.  There's a colourful street  rising up from this cafe area where there are more cafes and shops painted rainbow colours so very photogenic. If it's wet then the Oil Museum is surprisingly interesting too.  All very walkable. This year they don't seem to be offering the excursion to the Flor & Fjaere Gardens - our friends wanted to go there again after being blown away by their splendour on a previous visit but sadly haven't been able to book it on their Iona cruise next month.  But if it pops up again on other itineraries, I can recommend it. 

I don't know if the trip to the glacier (viewed from a distance) with the boat trip to Lovatnet Lake is on offer (not the Briksdal Glacier trip) but that's really worth doing from Olden.  We've booked to do that again on our next cruise. 

Flam is as good as Geiranger for getting into the far reaches of the fjords.  In fact it's more closed in so that you feel as though you are in a bowl surrounded by mountains.  Disregarding the Seven Sisters (which depending on the conditions/time of year might be more like 3/4 - it's probably good at the moment with snow melt contributing to the volume of water in the falls but isn't always so impressive) Flam gives you an excellent fjord experience.  They have developed Flam a lot over the years creating a microbrewery where it's expensive but a great experience to go for a drink.  You can walk up the valley to the Stave Church and of course there's the scenic railway ride.  So again, plenty of variety.  

Bergen has a different feel but adds to the variety. A must-do is to go up the funicular for the views at the top of Mt Floyen. (Get off early to beat the rush but easy access and much cheaper to DiY than a ship's trip).  Lovely walks in the parkland up there too. Then the Wharf buildings - the Bryggen is full of character and history and the market on the harbour is colourful and tempting with various take away options.  

That seems to me to be a very interesting itinerary and would give you some different experiences from your recent cruise.  I'd go for it! 😉

Thank you. I have a feeling I will have booked it by the end of today. Just got to sort out how many of us will be going and which cabin to go for.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you. I have a feeling I will have booked it by the end of today. Just got to sort out how many of us will be going and which cabin to go for.

I like the sound of that itinery. I have visited them, except Flam, and found them all interesting. I have a cruise booked next September (2023) on Britannia to the Fjords on which we are scheduled to visit Flam.🤞

I am sure you will enjoy it too.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, purplesea said:

I like the sound of that itinery. I have visited them, except Flam, and found them all interesting. I have a cruise booked next September (2023) on Britannia to the Fjords on which we are scheduled to visit Flam.🤞

I am sure you will enjoy it too.

I booked it ☺️

I now have cruise #2 and #3 sorted

• Like 11