P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Thanks all for your thoughts, my mum has got one of those alarms she can wear round her neck, but she hardly wears it! 🙄 Obviously if she goes back to her flat we’ll have to insist she does.

I also have Power of Attorney which has been invaluable in sorting out her bills and shopping. Luckily we are at the same bank so I can easily switch between our accounts.

My son took my mum out for a couple of hours this morning, shame I was working! 

I’m getting a bit panicked how close to Christmas it’s getting now. I’ve got peoples main presents, it’s the little bits and surprise presents I’m not sure of! 

I did ask my sister if she was planning to come up again before Christmas so she is coming up Tuesday so might get some shopping done then. 

Hope all is well with you all. Haven't heard from @SarahHben for a while?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Our garden bins went a few weeks ago and don't go out again until either March or April.  DH got a load of leaves up this morning and there are still some to come down so he has put them in a bin liner ready to take to the tip. 

I remove the leaves from the lawn with my leaf blower, I blow them onto the borders to provide a mulch and they rot down over winter or used by insects etc for shelter. Those on the drive get sucked up and put into bag into which I punch holes and after I after about 18 months behind te garage I have leaf mould which I mix with multi purpose compost for the patio pots or mix in with the top layer on existing pots. The only leaves that go in the bin are those from roses, to try and prevent spreading of rose rust & black spot, or tough leaves that won’t rot easily like holly.In the winter our green bins are still collect except over the Christmas/New Year period. 

• Like 5

Been out for a stroll this evening as Azura is overnight in Tenerife to check out the apartment we have booked for a couple of months when we return just after Christmas, and it seems to have been a good pick being in a quiet area overlooking the cruise port and just a short walk from parks and shops.

• Like 4

No deccies up here,  yet.

Maybe tomorrow.  I think I have a few Bah, Humbug tendencies. 🙂

Here’s our meal from last night.  It was brlll.  Literally.  Wouldn’t it be a great boost to the cooks of the world if more food had such positive names?  Anyway, it lived up to its billing (brilling?), which is just as well as it cost an arm and a leg 😱

Have a good day. It’s raining again 😕

D5D026B0-B052-4B3A-B97F-A012D4440A96.jpeg

• Like 17

Plenty of the wet stuff falling here at the moment.

I am going to have an inside day while I wait for the last Christmas present to arrive by Royal Mail and once that is wrapped all will be ready for distribution over the next couple of weeks.

• Like 7

No decorations up here.

The birthday season begins! We have six birthdays in our family between now and the 23rd, today is my granddaughter's birthday. With Christmas just around the corner too, it's an expensive month.

Very windy (sorry @Caullkhead I did the best I could🤣) but dry with the temp in double figures, although the wind is making it feel colder.

Nothing planned for today. My daughter still has my car as hers has been scrapped, as it would hafe cost too much to repair it. Luckily she works nights, so not too much of a problem, as I can use during the day. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Edited by purplesea
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Good morning.

It is 7°C and raining here.

Yesterday we got Christmas wreaths and flowers and took them to the cemetery where Pauline put them on her grandparents grave and also on her baby brothers grave.

Hopefully today we will have a pyjama day.

Currently watching Judge Judy on TV.

I hope everyone is well especially some of our regulars @SarahHben @emam who have not posted for a while.

Nice to see some nice cruise photos from@Purdey16 and @9265359.

Nice Christmas decorations @kalos.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Good morning from sunny hot Tenerife (sorry) Azura is parked opposite us , we’re waiting for our tour at 12 to go up mount Tiede not sure what to wear feel silly leaving In jeans and winter coat 

IMG_4734.jpeg

IMG_4733.jpeg

IMG_4736.jpeg

As I sit here watching the rain pouring down outside, I do feel genuinely sorry for you out there in what must be almost intolerable conditions. Someone has to do it though, and we at home appreciate your sterling efforts.

Seriously though - have a great day! 😀

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is 7°C and raining here.

Yesterday we got Christmas wreaths and flowers and took them to the cemetery where Pauline put them on her grandparents grave and also on her baby brothers grave.

Hopefully today we will have a pyjama day.

Currently watching Judge Judy on TV.

I hope everyone is well especially some of our regulars @SarahHben @emam who have not posted for a while.

Nice to see some nice cruise photos from@Purdey16 and @9265359.

Nice Christmas decorations @kalos.

Pyjama day watching Judge Judy? Wow, you know how to live. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

53 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Good morning from sunny hot Tenerife (sorry) Azura is parked opposite us , we’re waiting for our tour at 12 to go up mount Tiede not sure what to wear feel silly leaving In jeans and winter coat 

IMG_4734.jpeg

IMG_4733.jpeg

IMG_4736.jpeg

Thanks for the photos Purdey. We are on this cruise on the 22nd and it’s great to know that the weather is good. Enjoy the rest of your time on Azura.

Jennizor

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just going back to post - I read that Royal Mail are prioritising parcels, delivered by the regular postmen, and not sending cards out.  I think there might be some truth here, as I have had several parcels delivered soon after ordering in the last couple of weeks, and hardly any cards.  Has anyone else noticed this?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Plenty of the wet stuff falling here at the moment.

I am going to have an inside day while I wait for the last Christmas present to arrive by Royal Mail and once that is wrapped all will be ready for distribution over the next couple of weeks.

I had a brilliant idea for a Christmas present for DW. I looked on line. It had to come from America. Oh well, looks like plan B, not such a clever idea, but a pretty good alternative, delivery by 16th. I wondered how it was doing so I pressed the tracking button. It's ready to leave the Airport,.....in California.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Just going back to post - I read that Royal Mail are prioritising parcels, delivered by the regular postmen, and not sending cards out.  I think there might be some truth here, as I have had several parcels delivered soon after ordering in the last couple of weeks, and hardly any cards.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Despite the inevitable denials from Royal Mail, who have quite a track record of out and out lies, this is probably true. I say that only because our postman, who I know and trust, told us that was happening a few days ago, quite by chance. I trust him - but I do not trust his employer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Yes.

My Aunt received our Christmas parcel at 7.30pm last night from Royal mail.

I posted it 2nd class on Wednesday at my local post office.

• Like 1

They have their moments ,a few months back Mrs K had a parcel due from 

Royal Fail (not a spelling error) signed for post .

She actually saw the post guy as she was working in our front garden walk by .

When she checked her phone their was a photo of the parcel in a wheelie bin showing 

it had been delivered .

Turns out to be a bin on next street with same door number where he had dumped it and had not even knocked on their door for a signature. 

Trying to get through to their office is a joke but eventually did . 

They said a full investigation would be held and they will get back to us,which never happened .

The times I have had to open the door and show them our Opt Out Junk Mail "card as 

they shove unwanted junk through the letter box .

Going on their form ,I sent off for a nice personalised Christmas card with chocolates for 

Mrs K . I chose 6 th Dec for delivery . The morning post came ,nothing but it did turn up at 6pm at night . Just as good I had not booked it on that day for a birthday treat for example .

That's why I booked the 6th knowing it was been delivered by Royal Fail .😑

• Like 2

Not a good day so far. I have a problems with my fingers/hands and my diabetic nurse suggested I need to see a doctor so on Wednesday I filled in the practice e-consult form which promptly told me to contact the practice. A long phone wait and computer problem at their end resulted in a triage and an appointment at the Gillingham Community Health Hub at 9.am this morning. So I set of walking to the station at 7.30 this morning as no buses went anywhere near Gillingham Station. Pouring down but at least my waterproof works. A car then soaked me by driving through a large puddle at the top of Station Road. Got to the appointment 20 minutes early and the doctor arrived 10 minutes late.

The result is a battery of blood tests and maybe more and a referral to the orthopedic clinic which may take up to three months.

Apparently this means my travel insurance is no longer valid until I get a diagnosis and that means no cruise on Iona in mid January for which I have already paid. I have already paid the March cruise as well.

Fed Up

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Apparently this means my travel insurance is no longer valid until I get a diagnosis and that means no cruise on Iona in mid January for which I have already paid. I have already paid the March cruise as well.

Fed Up

I would be gutted ,fed up ,words fail. Sorry for you Dave .

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Not a good day so far. I have a problems with my fingers/hands and my diabetic nurse suggested I need to see a doctor so on Wednesday I filled in the practice e-consult form which promptly told me to contact the practice. A long phone wait and computer problem at their end resulted in a triage and an appointment at the Gillingham Community Health Hub at 9.am this morning. So I set of walking to the station at 7.30 this morning as no buses went anywhere near Gillingham Station. Pouring down but at least my waterproof works. A car then soaked me by driving through a large puddle at the top of Station Road. Got to the appointment 20 minutes early and the doctor arrived 10 minutes late.

The result is a battery of blood tests and maybe more and a referral to the orthopedic clinic which may take up to three months.

Fed Up

Dave.

Can your travel insurance cover you for everything else but not for the issue you are waiting for an answer to.

Surely if we are covered and paid big premiums for our medical issues the insurance companies need to be a little flexible.

I wonder how many people don't get things checked at their doctor's for fear of what you are experiencing.

Good luck Dave.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Dave.

Can your travel insurance cover you for everything else but not for the issue you are waiting for an answer to.

Surely if we are covered and paid big premiums for our medical issues the insurance companies need to be a little flexible.

I wonder how many people don't get things checked at their doctor's for fear of what you are experiencing.

Good luck Dave.

I don't think they can quote until i have a diagnosis, hence the first batch of blood tests. It could be spinal, kidneys, thyroid, diabetes, vitamin deficiencies, bone marrow issues, blood supply problems, either arterial or veins etc etc etc.

I did have a nerve sheath issue in my arm when I was 20 and only now remember the consultant in Newcastle telling me it could surface in other parts of my body later and cause issues. He wanted me to return during the final student exams and said they will have to be good to diagnose that condition and most would think it was a tumour which it wasn't. I still have that lump in a much shrunken state.

My attitude to money will help as i consider money spent is gone anyway and would rather know the answer. i still have another 4 cruises booked for next year so i might get to see some whales after all.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

Yes. Not only that the ones that have arrived were not franked so no indication of the time between posting and delivery which also appears a bit sneaky.

There are a couple of cards we always get on 1 December that have just come.

I feel like asking for my postage money back!

• Like 5