Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

56 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Another pair of shoes and a handbag in the back of the car.

1624638468580852416491233079964.jpg

Beautiful, and all power to your wife to be able to wear them.  They  look so classey and elegant.   I bought my first pair of high heels for the wedding in about twenty years,  prefer boots,  trainers, flats or wedges . Even at work in a uniformed position i had the smallest heel I could get way with 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, island lady said:

Lunch was the best Lobster rolls in Maine, (IMHO) which are my own homemade. 

Looks amazing. Have you ever made Lobster Mac-n-Cheese? That is my favorite. I have made the famous Hancock Lobster Mac-n-Cheese recipe and it was outstanding. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I had 8th grade, high school, and college.  My daughters had 5th grade, 8th grade, high school, and college....

My Elementary school and JHS graduations were held in a local movie theater.My HS graduation was in Brooklyn College as was my college graduation .

This coming Sunday I will be attending my first in person party since before the pandemic.

June 27 is the birthday of my oldest grand child.She just called to tell me that she passed her driving test and we will be celebrating that as well.

It is also 56 years since my wife and I went on our first date.

June 30 will be the 11th.wedding anniversary of my youngest daughter.

July 1 ,the 24th.anniversary of my oldest daughter.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ATG said:

When I was in school it was this way.  I remember the discussion of not having the freshmen in with the older kids.  They felt the maturity difference between seniors and freshmen was too great.  That was in Indiana and they called it junior high.  Our sons in Georgia had middle school, grades 6 - 8.  Trends in education seem to go back and forth.

Madison, Alabama in late 90's was 1-4, 5-6, 7-8, and 9-12

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

ATA girls... Ohh, the good old days of shopping sprees.

I remember vividly the times when I/we landed at Heathrow, and was asked "the purpose of your trip, ma'am".

I will reply deadpan: "shopping spree" 😉 

That made us receive an immediate entry stamp 😁 with a huge smile....

Many years ago we took a trip to Boston.  When asked what we wanted to see, without missing a beat I blurted "FILENE'S BASEMENT"  Oh, the joys of shopping!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

This coming Sunday I will be attending my first in person party since before the pandemic.

June 27 is the birthday of my oldest grand child.She just called to tell me that she passed her driving test and we will be celebrating that as well.

It is also 56 years since my wife and I went on our first date.

June 30 will be the 11th.wedding anniversary of my youngest daughter.

July 1 ,the 24th.anniversary of my oldest daughter.

Some nice things to celebrate in the next week Lenny.

I hope you are well and enjoy all your family celebrations.

Graham.

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I grew up with elementary being 1-6, Junior High 7-8, and high school 9-12. 

Only graduation was High School

Same for me, even though I was in a different school almost every year until 10th grade.  I went to schools in military base so they must all follow that same formula.  
Many areas have transitioned to middle school instead of high school.  My oldest GS who will be 10 in July, just “graduated” from elementary school.  He moves to middle school grades 5-8 and then high school is 9-12.  This is in the Philly suburbs. 

• Like 1

DH and I are having an old work friend over on Sunday afternoon for wine and a cheese/charcuterie board.  Other than our kids & grandkids this is the first time we’ve entertained in nearly a year and a half.  I’m rusty!  But it feels good to look forward to socializing with someone besides ourselves.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Me:Elementary -Kindergarden to 6th.grade

Junior High -7,8,9

HS-10,11,12

This was the same for us. However, in 9th grade you were considered a Freshman even though you went to the Junior High. (We had 2 of them in town). Once you got to the High School itself, 10th, 11th and 12th grade were classified as your Sophomore, Junior and Senior years. It's been so long ago, (yes, I'm that old), that I'm not sure if that is still the case today.

On another note, we are at our hotel in Nassau anxiously waiting for the Adventure of the Seas to arrive tomorrow morning. Our last cruise was in November, 2019 and we can't wait to get on her. There are a couple of people from this thread that will be on board. We hope to meet up with them at some point in time.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline said thanks.

Sorry to hear you say those days are gone forever.

Paulines mam was on a ship with us on her 90th birthday.

Graham.

I might be on a ship for my 90th, but I can barely manage to walk in flat heeled shoes!

I used to buy Bally high heels at Barrett’s on Oxford St near Selfridges. Gorgeous shoes. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Many years ago we took a trip to Boston.  When asked what we wanted to see, without missing a beat I blurted "FILENE'S BASEMENT"  Oh, the joys of shopping!

DH still has excellent shirts bought there. I was very disappointed last time in Boston when I've found out Filene's is gone...

Now I'm trying to remember another memorable fashion store/outlet with excellent bargains -- it was between 16th and 17th street in NY, may be on 7th avenue (?), may be it was called Lowes or something....

Help!!

I can't get it out of my mind now... Last time for sure I bought there in 1998, and may be, just may be, January 2001.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I might be on a ship for my 90th, but I can barely manage to walk in flat heeled shoes!

I used to buy Bally high heels at Barrett’s on Oxford St near Selfridges. Gorgeous shoes. 

I hope you are on a ship for your 90th and that you are in really good health.

Paulines mam had angina and other ailments so we pushed her in her wheelchair everywhere and she liked flat shoes.

Graham.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Cold, drizzle, clammy "downeast Maine type weather today...fog rolling in heavy from the ocean.  

Thus good day to hang out inside the cottage. Lunch was the best Lobster rolls in Maine, (IMHO) which are my own homemade.  Pays to be on good relation with your local fish monger, she actually asked me if I wanted "claw" or "tail" meat when I bought the cooked and picked Lobster meat.  I was elated to be able to say "claws please" best part of the lobster meat in my opinion.

Not happy with the local NE hot dog rolls lately, I simply shaved some small sub rolls just to get some butter on the sides and toast them.  Some nice buttery pretzels and lunch is served!  With wine and a Stella of course.  😉 

20210625_114128.jpg

Are the NE rolls Country Kitchen or Nissen? Those are the brands I think of. I hope they haven’t gone downhill like Yodels. Yodels used to be so good; now they’re interchangeable with Little Debbie. 

• Like 1

Ah, all these lucky people on cruises, or soon to be now.  My next booked ones are in January.  

Meanwhile, I finally got our boat in the water today, so I shave to settle for these views. 

My view from the bow. 

My wake view.  

The crew, taking it easy. 

B7955B3F-93FF-4257-8CC1-BDD49101110D.thumb.jpeg.f025399f82ddc744d8af1eacf7f87750.jpeg

At least we don’t have signs like these here. 

61777CDD-DE04-4316-94A3-5A470AF778C0.thumb.jpeg.f0caf365808434acda1b9ebff9992916.jpeg

That is my grandson, currently on vacation and studying the signs.  Do they really have to tell people not to swim with alligators?

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Looks amazing. Have you ever made Lobster Mac-n-Cheese? That is my favorite. I have made the famous Hancock Lobster Mac-n-Cheese recipe and it was outstanding. 

Cute...but no.   I grew up with mother feeding me mac and cheese as kid...no interest in bringing that into my Lobster...though I know that is a big fad right now.   I suppose I should try it...but memories of 

that childhood Mac and Cheese do not want to leave my head.  😉 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

That is my grandson, currently on vacation and studying the signs.  Do they really have to tell people not to swim with alligators?

Unfortunately they do have to tell people that and apparently some people can't read.  

• Like 1

OH my  School years.

In Ohio when I went to kindergarten in 1961 you were eligible if you turned 5 y/o by the last day of December.

My birthday being in December I started when I was 4 3/4 years old.

I passed the entrance test.

But I was not ready.

How many youngins do you know get bad grades in kindergarten???????????

I struggled through 1-8th grades.

I guess you could say I had to bust ass to get C's.

When I went to 9th grade in a private school the lightbulb must have got on.

I excelled.

Did very very well and was for me very proud when I was in the top 15% of the class and our class graduated 344 students in 1974.

Few were going into nursing, and I did sooooo much extra curricular volunteer work in High School.

That I was selected to receive a  full scholarship, room board, books, uniform and other expenses to attain my RN.

Then I finished my BSN at Penn State with high honors.

Went to Nurse Anesthetist school and was given a full ride and a stiphen.

Now, in our area many communities have families with poor dysfunctional role models.

The children are struggling all through school.

I put one of the cities 12 year olds to sleep for his tonsillectomy and I asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up, his response was a football player.

I then asked him if that did not work out what would his second choice be, he responded a basketball player.

This is why when I see a school Levy on the ballots it has to be a YES, for  the children.

I guess you could say my hard work and will to succeed over came my early struggles.

So when people ask me if I could re-live my child hood, would I, my response is NO.  I am proud of what I have accomplished and would not change it for the world.

Take care

Edited by Lionesss
  • Like 5

Days are getting better! our next cruise is only 12 days away on Anthem out of Southampton. It is only a 4 night with no stops and back into Southampton but it is a start and we cannot wait as it has been nearly 2 years since our last one. They have reduced the passenger capacity to 1000 from 4500 so it will feel like our very own ship. cant wait. I think my work colleagues are getting a bit bored of me being so excited and counting the days down.  😁 

• Like 8