Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Public schools here don’t teach cursive.  My daughter is a private school teacher and they teach it.

I am sure you still need to sign your name on things.  Blackboards and chalk pretty much a thing of the past😢

My contractor was born in iran I believe, and moved here and married a citizen. I'm sure he has a checking account, but seems to be allowed to have a printed signature. Seems legal. 

Hes a excellent contractor just doesnt know cursive, but is a whiz at buying stuff at home deposit and installing it. He and 2 who work for him gutted my kitchen, did all new cabinets, etc. New flooring, new 6 led ceiling lights. I just thought it was interesting a printed signature seems to now be legal. Hes very proud to be a american, hes great.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I don't remember when I last gave an update on furniture for our new house.  It has slowly been trickling in.  We now have 2 loveseats in addition to the 2 recliners that we had previously, an area rug, and the "beverage center" that was previously damaged in shipment and needed to be reordered.  

greatroom.thumb.jpg.7df2064975687bea452fda130fc181d4.jpg

I'm trying to learn patience in retirement but it's hard after years of go-go-go at work.

Me too, retired in Nov after six months furlough. First job was in 1973, worked the whole time whilst bringing up a family.

Not the retirement we had planned with loads of travel but hey ho, It is, what it  is, as my old boss use to say 😏

House looks great 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Marlborough New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc is my favourite.

The Chile SB is too acidic.

Mine favorite style as well.   I like to ask for a "Kiwi SB" when we go out.  😉  

Kiwi:  New Zealanders

SB:  Obvious.  😉 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have seen in hallways on day of embarkment people with cheapy foam toppers they bring to put on their beds.    I read on cc they just leave it there when their cruise is over unless they drove to port they take it back home.    

As much as I would love to have one I don't think I would bother going thru all that trouble to roll it up and fit back into the storage bag they come in.

I was going to buy one, and leave it on the ship as well.....but our Australia cruise adventure was cancelled. 😞   Was just going to buy one in Sydney, drag it on the ship...and drag it from cabin to cabin, since we had to change cabins 4 times on our 8 legs.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I don't remember when I last gave an update on furniture for our new house.  It has slowly been trickling in.  We now have 2 loveseats in addition to the 2 recliners that we had previously, an area rug, and the "beverage center" that was previously damaged in shipment and needed to be reordered.  

greatroom.thumb.jpg.7df2064975687bea452fda130fc181d4.jpg

We've also received one of the guest beds.  Still waiting on great room coffee and side tables, kitchen table chairs and a dining room set.  My wife has decided what she wants for our master bed (frame and headboard) and the other guest bed and we'll be ordering them soon.  I expect another 12-16 weeks for those to arrive.  Lots of knick-knacks still needed to fill in various shelves and nooks.  I'm trying to learn patience in retirement but it's hard after years of go-go-go at work.

Nice set up!   Waiting on a wall rack for TV I assume?   Love the floors and furniture!  🤗

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

Mine favorite style as well.   I like to ask for a "Kiwi SB" when we go out.  😉  

Kiwi:  New Zealanders

SB:  Obvious.  😉 

It is to me because of watching sports where New Zealand are called the Kiwis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I was surprised my contractor told me I'm the first person he ever saw write in cursive writing. I guess they dont teach it anymore. I thought you had to sign your name in cursive, guess not.

1 hour ago, derorim said:

It makes me very sad that they don't teach cursive any more.  Cursive is so personal and expressive.  And yeah, how would one sign their name?  I guess we don't need lines for both "printed name" and "signature" blocks on forms any more.  

57 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Public schools here don’t teach cursive.  My daughter is a private school teacher and they teach it.

I😢

They teach it here in the public schools.  Grandson, who is in 2nd grade, is learning it now.  I have a grandson in California, and he learned it in 2nd grade last year.  Both of their cursive writing is better than mine.  Mine seems to deteriorate, the older I get.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

They teach it here in the public schools.  Grandson, who is in 2nd grade, is learning it now.  I have a grandson in California, and he learned it in 2nd grade last year.  Both of their cursive writing is better than mine.  Mine seems to deteriorate, the older I get.  

We call it joined up writing in schools over here (or they did when my kids were small )

• Like 1

Moved into our bathroom as full capacity....long...long time coming.  So many delays with ordering everything.  Will be the fiirst night that I don't have to pop back and forth to the guest bathroom!  😄  

Mirrors are frame lit, and programable.  New wood look tile was added due to not being able to save the old tile.  I am glad we were couldn't.  😉  Shower was done many weeks ago, but wanted to add it in.  We did ADA features (for future needs when it comes to that).  Has fold down wall mounted seat at other end, "floating glass" doors and lots of grab handles.  

20210302_133057.jpg

20200902_154041.jpg

• Like 19

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Moved into our bathroom as full capacity....long...long time coming.  So many delays with ordering everything.  Will be the fiirst night that I don't have to pop back and forth to the guest bathroom!  😄  

Mirrors are frame lit, and programable.  New wood look tile was added due to not being able to save the old tile.  I am glad we were couldn't.  😉  Shower was done many weeks ago, but wanted to add it in.  We did ADA features (for future needs when it comes to that).  Has fold down wall mounted seat at other end, "floating glass" doors and lots of grab handles.  

20210302_133057.jpg

20200902_154041.jpg

Very nice Pat.

Worth waiting for.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Good job to you and Bucky. HH will be sooo much better today. 🍷🍷

• Like 1

Just now, grapau27 said:

Very nice Pat.

Worth waiting for.

Thanks!  The "plumber" is happy now...but took until this morning to get that leak stopped.  Still need to put knobs on two drawers, but we are waiting on replacement boxes for them (damaged during shipping).  We had ordered the cabinets and quartz top end of last year.  Yikes, it indeed took awhile. 😮 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Good job to you and Bucky. HH will be sooo much better today. 🍷🍷

Oh yeah...it was very...very good last night too when Bucky got to sit in his recliner after feeling like a pretzel from being under both sinks.  😮  

Making homemade Mexican "Sopes" with fresh toppings for dinner tonight.   And pan seared Plantains for dessert.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

20210302_133057.jpg

20200902_154041.jpg

VERY nice.  Love the frame lit mirrors. 👍

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

VERY nice.  Love the frame lit mirrors. 👍

Thanks...Bucky loves them.  Took me awhile to get used to them.  Thought they were a bit too stark looking for me.  Fun playing with the programing though.  😉 

• Like 1

The bathroom looks fantastic!  We went with the wood look tile in cherry since the half bath is at end of the mudroom.  I love it.  Unfortunately our weird lab has a problem with shiny surfaces and does this scramble across the floor to the exterior door to the garage.  I need to find a rug to put down before she hurts herself.

I ran into those mirrors at an Air BNB in Normandy about 18 months ago.  I had a hell of a time touching the right spot to get it to illuminate.  Not sure why.

I have the opposite problem with fixtures and my new half bath.  I have had them for 1-3 years now, quartz and sink cabinet were installed last summer but alas, no toilet yet.  My builder who was so enthusiastic 30 years ago lost that enthusiasm a while ago.  Right now he is now putting window sills on the windows that were replaced 3 years ago.  Personally, I was fine with picture frames if it meant getting them done but whatever.  My solution was to book vacations and forget about the unfinished projects. It has been a long year.  

About that paint color, if you can get a nice size chip (maybe from a place less noticible) SW should be able to match it with their machine.  Not sure if all the local stores have one but the commercial branch should. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

20210302_133057.jpg

20200902_154041.jpg

I love it! Hopefully ours will be done soon. The plumber, painter, drywall installer and electrician need to come back and do some touch up and then the glass for the shower can be installed. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We have survey stakes!!!!  Hoping this means lot clearing soon. 

E9969A03-89A6-4BFC-BA4E-E90CF541C3BC.jpeg

Do they need to / are you allowed to remove a lot of trees?  Trees are pretty protected around here.  We learned that the previous owners of our house, who built the house, clear cut our lot so that they could fit the house design they wanted on the lot.  They did it before getting permission.  Apparently, several people complained because they needed to compromise on the design of their house to fit it around existing trees.  Beg forgiveness rather than ask permission, I guess.

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2021 at 2:57 PM, singinalot said:

yep! I had the mini 1 now I have the mini 2

Looks like you made a good choice with the mini 2.  The big DJI announcement was about their first FPV (first person view) drone.  FPV drones involve wearing a virtual headset where you can see what the camera on the drone sees, and manually controlling much of the flight.  If you've seen any drone racing on TV, those are FPV.  Apparently, a very different flying experience.

25 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Do they need to / are you allowed to remove a lot of trees?  Trees are pretty protected around here.  We learned that the previous owners of our house, who built the house, clear cut our lot so that they could fit the house design they wanted on the lot.  They did it before getting permission.  Apparently, several people complained because they needed to compromise on the design of their house to fit it around existing trees.  Beg forgiveness rather than ask permission, I guess.

All the lot will be cleared. Ours just has mostly Florida Pines. There is one Oak but it’s smack dab in the middle of the lot. These are 1/2 lots. We will add trees and such as part as our build. 

M8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gc said:

image.png.1890ed77dd24bf49d047aa65a911bb99.png

Here is an other idea Ken in case he finds his way back

Critter proofing as we speak.  Mesh cover is back on furnace intake, will be siliconed in place once it warms up a but.  Chimney guys coming on Thursday to put the mesh critter cap on the chimney 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Our local Sherwin Williams store could not match it to anything in their catalog, probably because the cardboard sample isn't great.  My wife will be picking up some of their swatches to see if she can match it that way.  I'll post here if we find the color name

Find a store that has the optic match and a great person running it They just scan the Color and it will give them a formula.  That gets them 95% there.  The last 5% is done by a good eye and several small tints.  Love the guys at my Benjamin Moore store, they can match anything. Saves a ton of painting.

I’ve even resorted to cutting out a 3x3 square of drywall close to the area that’s going to be painted anyway to get them a sample to match.

the other option if it’s a small wall is just to repaint the wall corner to corner, you won’t  notice a slight mismatch in tints where the wall turns a corner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1