Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Pros and Cons the last couple of days.

Pro - Oldest son will graduate from University of Michigan next month.

Con - He bought himself a brand new motorcycle as a gift to himself.

Con - He's 43 so there's nothing I can do about it. (mom's always worry about their kids).

Pro - The weather was finally almost Spring like here yesterday.

Pro - Got the bicycles out and went for a little bike ride.

Pro - Took the cover off of the RV and will start getting ready for camping season.

Pro - First camping trip is booked for Easter weekend.

Con - When opening the garage door, something had fallen over and wedged itself in the door.

Con - The garage door is now all wonky.

Con - Home waiting for the repairman.  

Hope everyone is safe.

Edited by ValerieJo
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Finally caught up. We picked up our grandkids and took them out to breakfast yesterday.  Susan had planned a couple crafts for them to do, when they came back to our house. 

Painting some clay pots. 

CEA527EE-9B00-4098-80DA-767A0D525595.thumb.jpeg.8685cde74da1d12e02def8871892494d.jpeg

Some of my old t-shirts worked good to keep paint off of them. 

D785178C-29D2-4A05-9F8D-8C8C564E5E7F.thumb.jpeg.fdc27c32c582e6126abc2b98f8319108.jpeg

The finished products

93A746C6-7AAB-4F5B-B5EB-6C69CB5A8683.thumb.jpeg.519472b557af864dc53731225468720a.jpeg

D8490B6E-386A-4356-9F51-F42F64F97F5A.thumb.jpeg.26f7c757dcbe2129a4f7dc8702d852d7.jpeg

Mark, you and Susan are giving your grandkids the best thing you can give them.  TIME.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, ValerieJo said:

Pros and Cons the last couple of days.

Pro - Oldest son will graduate from University of Michigan next month.

Con - He bought himself a brand new motorcycle as a gift to himself.

Con - He's 43 so there's nothing I can do about it. (mom's always worry about their kids).

Pro - The weather was finally almost Spring like here yesterday.

Pro - Got the bicycles out and went for a little bike ride.

Pro - Took the cover off of the RV and will start getting ready for camping season.

Pro - First camping trip is booked for Easter weekend.

Con - When opening the garage door, something had fallen over and wedged itself in the door.

Con - The garage door is now all wonky.

Con - Home waiting for the repairman.  

Hope everyone is safe.

Congratulations on the Michigan graduation.My late BIL went to grad school there and always spoke about how great the college was

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

YES. In December, we had to keep 3 sets of books. One for the days before the sale, one for the days after the sale, and of course the entire month as it would have been recorded without the sale. Good times.

Girl, I feel your pain.  I was just talking with my director about how stressed the thought of all this doubled up work will be in October.  I try not to think of it too much.   Glad at least that part is behind you.  🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Keksie said:

@dani negreanu Stay safe.  I hope none of the unrest is close to you.

2 hours ago, clochette said:

@dani negreanu watching the news, and hoping that you are affected by the protests.

2 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Dani- Hoping that you and hubby and family are safe and that a peaceful resolution will be found soon. MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Thank you all for your kind words -- the above + Judy @NHProud, Graham @grapau27, Mark @h20skibum, Mary @MJSailors and Marietta @DaniDanielle

Karen, I'm the "unrest" -- my family, my friends, my neighbors -- we're all in the streets to keep our only country from becoming a dictatorship.

Sadly, we don't have a Constitution and 2 houses, no "balances" whatsoever, and the newly elected ultra-religious guys (no women in their parties...) already have laws against gays (allowing doctors, inn keepers/hoteliers and business owners, among others, to refrain from "dealing/treating/supplying services" to them...), separate beaches & swimming pools for women and minorities, etc., and I could go on and on. Abolishing the every 4 years elections is in the cards too...

We're the only democracy in the ME, and intend to keep it this way.  More for our kids and grandkids.

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Mark, you and Susan are giving your grandkids the best thing you can give them.  TIME.

@h20skibum

+ 1, I don't think there is a greater reward than to spend precious time with them.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you all for your kind words -- the above + Judy @NHProud, Graham @grapau27, Mark @h20skibum, Mary @MJSailors and Marietta @DaniDanielle

Karen, I'm the "unrest" -- my family, my friends, my neighbors -- we're all in the streets to keep our only country from becoming a dictatorship.

Sadly, we don't have a Constitution and 2 houses, no "balances" whatsoever, and the newly elected ultra-religious guys (no women in their parties...) already have laws against gays (allowing doctors, inn keepers/hoteliers and business owners, among others, to refrain from "dealing/treating/supplying services" to them...), separate beaches & swimming pools for women and minorities, etc., and I could go on and on. Abolishing the every 4 years elections is in the cards too...

We're the only democracy in the ME, and intend to keep it this way.  More for our kids and grandkids.

@h20skibum

+ 1, I don't think there is a greater reward than to spend precious time with them.

I told you before to pack up the stuff in your shelter and buy a one way ticket to the U.S. 😑 I am, sort of, joking. I understand it is hard to leave your home. It is a complicated issue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I told you before to pack up the stuff in your shelter and buy a one way ticket to the U.S. 😑 I am, sort of, joking. I understand it is hard to leave your home. It is a complicated issue.

OB, I remember it very well, and I appreciated it twice coming from you 😘 I wanted to reply, but somehow I didn't want to take too much space in this thread....

Let me make it clear. I would leave tomorrow, and, for the first time, our married son, thinking of his young kids, will leave with us. He knows from my memories of immigration, how hard it is, and, until this new government, he and his wife wouldn't even hear the words "leave Israel". So sad.

The biggest issue for DH and me is the health insurance... All his health issues have arised after us being insured for many years, national and private, through his previous place of work.

The health insurance [and the SS] is good only if we live in Israel for 181 days in a year... Trying to insure ourselves, at our age, in a new country.... don't see it happening. 

Our hope is that DS2, with a PhD in law in the next year or so [and DIL with MSW in her resume], will find a position or a grant for continuing to post-doc, and ... remain there ... And we'll travel back and forth to see them 😢.

• Like 27

@dani negreanu  I’m surprised and relieved (and overwhelmingly sad for you as well) to hear you are thinking of leaving.  I’ve thought of all the stress you’ve been under ever since I started reading your thread three years ago.  We are all here for morale support and also tangible if you need it.  Prayers to keep you and your loved ones safe.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@dani negreanu Dani, I watch the news of the protests with sadness, a civil war in Israel.  The secular population need to be heard!

The ultra orthodox party is powerful in Israel and I stand with you in stopping/limiting their power.

Jack and I had to jump hoops to get permission to marry in Israel, all thanks to the orthodox influence in the Israeli government.  I know it's just as difficult now.

I can totally understand your desire to move and the reasons for keeping you in Israel for the present.

I'll get off my soapbox now with the hopes the protests quiet down with a reasonable solution.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Micheline just looked out the windows by our front door, and there was a peacock sitting on our front patio.  I've seen him (her?) wandering around the neighborhood, but it never really comes down our 

street.  Not sure why it chose our house today.  We scared it away when we opened the door.

Neighbors have told us that it's not good for a peacock to be near your parked car.  They like shiny things and will poke at fenders and bright body panels, causing damage.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, h20skibum said:

We picked up all the supplies (except the chocolates) at Hobby Lobby.  The acrylic paint dried really fast, so it didn’t slow them down, waiting to dry.  The old spray cans worked well to keep the edges clear while they dried. 

Well done!!!  What a fun time for your beautiful grandchildren!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@George C Hoping your kitchen redo goes well.

Such a project requires patience and due diligence on your part.

It will be great when completed.

Just ask Jimbo.😉

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

They did a lot on day 1 , removed all the kitchen cabinets, removed existing tile . Removed kitchen sink, dishwasher, oven . 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Neighbors have told us that it's not good for a peacock to be near your parked car.  They like shiny things and will poke at fenders and bright body panels, causing damage.

I had a couple Turkeys pecking at themselves in my chrome truck bumper last year. Caught them in the Ring floodlight camera.  

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

@h20skibum

Dani - have I ever mentioned how much I admire you?

I'm amazed that despite all of the turmoil - both external and now internal - that you continue on living a "normal" everyday quiet life. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that despite all that is going on, you'd probably help someone on this thread book a cabin. 🙂

Also, I have to start following the news more closely. I had no idea that was going on until I read it here. I'm just now catching up on the story.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, George C said:

They did a lot on day 1 , removed all the kitchen cabinets, removed existing tile . Removed kitchen sink, dishwasher, oven . 

Want to see pictures of the demo. Taking  any walls down or keeping same lay out of old kitchen?  Or just replacing old? Island( size)(sink or stovetop or dishwasher) in island? ?

Any Plumbing or electrical being moved to different locations, and new lighting fixtures?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Want to see pictures of the demo. Taking  any walls down or keeping same lay out of old kitchen?  Or just replacing old?

I was definitely against taking down walls , we will be moving fridge to back of kitchen to allow a larger entrance. New cabinets will be closer to ceiling, we have wooden beams which we definitely will keep.

• Like 1