Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Projected route we are taking to Greenland tonight is, we will be sailing south out of NY then sail East after we get below  the hurricane then we will sail directly north to Greenland.

Seems like the best way to get there I guess.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 5

51 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Can you explain what the people are waiting for.  In Gibraltar when storms are predicted we  usually cancel appointments and take in the washing.  

People like to go and watch the surf and the storm approaching in the distance.  When there is a really bad storm, some people will go to the sea walls along the beaches, in the pouring rain, and watch the seas go over the walls.  We went to the beach today because the storm is over 300 miles away still.  We will watch what happens on the tv when the storm gets closer.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Can you explain what the people are waiting for.  In Gibraltar when storms are predicted we  usually cancel appointments and take in the washing.  

They are waiting to see some big surf an waves. There is also something exciting about wind that practically knocks you over.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

My wife talked about going there but that was about 5 miles from the ship, 35 minute drive one way. Decided to just walk down 44th street toward time square and have lunch at Bubba Gumps. Stopped at Target on the way back to the ship and picked up a few things also.

The subway could have had you there in about 10 minutes or less from 44th st. However, I do enjoy hanging around Time Square.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, little britain said:

Hi, no we paid one person day 1&2; then I waited in line for over an hour to move our reservations because I didn’t want to eat on boat last night as we are in NY, and I didn’t want to be dining during sail away tonight…,! The guy moved both reservations out to later in the cruise and I stood over him as he typed lots of notes like “ BOGO”, “ will be 2 guests not one” and “pax has paid”… I’ll let you know how we get on!!! 

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

We didn't tell them anything before we ate,we just had a reservation for one,I then said my Wife will be joining me

He said that is fine no problem

Then when it was time to get a bill,he sees we are Diamong plus and we can use the Bogo deal...bring the bill and there is a full charge for one dinner.

He said that was the only way to ring up the BOGO FREE DEAL..

But I kept telling him I prepaid for the one meal allready with OBC

Eventually he comped the whole meal.Later I went back with cash for a tip for the waiter.

Tonight we are going to go to Chops and see how they handle it. 

we did go the guest relations later and got documents that we prepaid with OBC.

So tonight we will be more prepared.

Wish us luck.

20230914_121720.jpg

20230914_134646.jpg

20230914_152647.jpg

Edited by maggieq

28 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

For those who might be interested the Bee has started a semi - live from Radiance heading to Vancouver! .This might be an entertaining one. 🙂 

I am surprised she hasn’t already reported with all the changes on board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NHProud said:

Woe , that’s a very dangerous area . I found myself on 47th and just had to go into one of those diamond jewelry stores and came out in possession of a solitaire emerald cut diamond ring .   

I try to keep my wife away from that area on our New York City trips 😁😁

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The subway could have had you there in about 10 minutes or less from 44th st. However, I do enjoy hanging around Time Square.

Took a train from Virginia to Newark for 8 and a half hours to get to our cruise. We weren't getting on another train.....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Took a train from Virginia to Newark for 8 and a half hours to get to our cruise. We weren't getting on another train.....

You do what you gotta do if you want it badly enough. My friend rode Amtrak from San Diego to NYC round trip . She spent 12 days riding the rails . In NYC she took the subway to get around .  Why didn’t she fly ? She was walking to a restaurant to celebrate her birthday and when she stepped off the curb her shoe caught the uneven pavement and she fell flat on her face . She broke both wrists and suffered a stroke when her head hit the ground. Can’t fly !  Her wrists have healed however she has suffered another stroke and she has recovered from that too.

Edited by NHProud
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, dbancroft said:

Today to celebrate my birthday I got my stitches out from my Moh's surgery almost 2 weeks ago. Then this evening took the grandkids to chuck e cheese for a school fundraiser. Who knew Chuck E Cheese was so expensive. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY💐🦋

I haven't been to Chuck E cheese in years and hope to never go back😇  but spending time with the Grandkids on your Birthday is nice!

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, NHProud said:

You do what you gotta do if you want it badly enough. My friend rode Amtrak from San Diego to NYC round trip . She spent 12 days riding the rails . In NYC she took the subway to get around .  Why didn’t she fly ? She was walking to a restaurant to celebrate her birthday and when she stepped off the curb her shoe caught the uneven pavement and she fell flat on her face . She broke both wrists and suffered a stroke when her head hit the ground. Can’t fly !  Her wrists have healed however she has suffered another stroke and she has recovered from that too.

OMG, that's horrible your friend had all those troubles from her fall.

Happy to hear she has recovered.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Thanks 1

Traffic in NYC is bad sitting in a cab watching the meter run.  Though anymore I might hesitate to use the subway.  Jimbo sounds like a plan to follow the hurricane.  

Watching this Radiance sailing.  It seems like she can’t catch a break.  I’d be pretty disappointed if I was on board.  However we all know things happen that we have no control over.  Free drinks all cruise would be great but you can only spend so much OBC.  I’ll bet the spa and specialty restaurants will be busy.  We are on board in 3 weeks and hoping it’s smooth sailing by then.

• Like 5

On 9/14/2023 at 9:31 AM, Sea Dog said:

Boy do I feel like a idiot. I just fell for a Facebook ad scam for Tommy Bahama. While on FB a week ago I saw an ad for End of Summer sale for Tommy Bahama. After going through the website and looking at the items for sale and the great prices (should have been suspicious then) I bought a pair of shorts for $28.

I then received an email that I would be notified when the item was shipped. I became a little concerned that the email address that I received was from a third party company and not Tommy Bahama. After a week of not getting my product or notification that it was shipped I checked our bank account and saw where the $28 was taken out on the date of sale. I went back to Facebook and could not find the original ad but after searching Tommy Bahama Sale saw several posts from people who also got scammed.

Lesson learned never order anything off an ad on Facebook. Always double check by going to an official website. I contacted our bank and put a freeze on our account and are getting new cards. I contacted Tommy Bahama and Facebook. I am disappointed in Facebook in that they don’t do a better job of verifying ads but ultimately it is my fault. Once again I have to remind myself, if it’s too good to be true it usually isn’t.

Recommendations for people buying something online from a company you've never dealt with before:

--Always use a credit card (not a debit card) and use a "special" card that you don't normally use.

Credit vs debit is because you have more consumer fraud protections with a credit card than with a debit card.

Using a "non-normal" card is because if something does go wrong, you don't have to cancel and resubscribe all your auto-pay bills to your regular card when you get it replaced.  

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

People are camped out on the beach waiting for the storm to do something. It is what we do in New England.

Midwesterners go outside during tornado watches/warnings to see if they can see a twister.  Our neighborhood has lots of mature trees, so my son and I would drive over by the airport where we had better sight lines.  

We really love it when the sky turns a greenish color, because that's our best chance of seeing some dangerous weather!

• Like 2

I arrived safely at my bio-dad's house in Alabama last night.  

And look what just got built about twenty minutes before I got there:

378767777_10159659173636905_4081654004861068084_n.thumb.jpg.d5305ef83cdfb1626f21d568582a1234.jpg

378597073_10159659173726905_7434401799580994731_n.thumb.jpg.21aa3f087dbb55c1d070a7d24d113af4.jpg

I met my half-sister and her husband and son last night.  Then today, Bill and I spent part of the day dealing with the VA. He was exposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam, and the VA is supposed to be covering his medical expenses, but in typical governmental bureaucratic fashion, you have to jump through certain hoops in a certain order.  He was hospitalized last week, and he's been trying for a week to get the VA to cover his new meds ($800/month).  

We got him switched over to a new primary care VA doctor in a different clinic, and that doc is writing the referral to the gastroenterologist so the GI doc can write the scrips so the VA will cover the meds.  This new clinic is an extra 20 minutes' drive for him (almost an hour one way now), but the staff is much kinder and willing/able to communicate with him.  It just stinks that he has to drive a longer distance just to be treated with respect -- our veterans deserve better!  (It's also only two weeks to get an appt as a new patient in this new clinic -- the rude clinic had a four month wait for an appt!)

Tonight we went to an aunt's house, and cousins from Texas and Florida arrived.  Tomorrow is the big family reunion.  

I'm heading back to Michigan on Tuesday... and I'll be stopping at Buc-ee's on my way out of town!  

• Like 20

25 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Recommendations for people buying something online from a company you've never dealt with before:

--Always use a credit card (not a debit card) and use a "special" card that you don't normally use.

Credit vs debit is because you have more consumer fraud protections with a credit card than with a debit card.

Using a "non-normal" card is because if something does go wrong, you don't have to cancel and resubscribe all your auto-pay bills to your regular card when you get it replaced.  

Good advice!

• Like 1