Don’t cruise until after you have had a vaccine for COVID-19

ERParadise

Almost 99% of people who have died from COVID-19 are over 70, have excessive weight, smoker, have diabetes, or have heart or lung disease.

No one with any of these characteristics should cruise until they have received a vaccine for COVID-19

Cruise ships will have people with the virus with zero symptoms until everyone is required to have the vaccine to cruise.

Younger people without any of the above medical issues can take the chance, because if they get it most likely they will be ok.

Hope no one with the above medical issues takes the chance before they get a vaccine

While I generally agree with your post regarding cruising without the vaccine for Seniors and those with underlying medical issues, I have my limits.

We have a cruise booked in Oct 2021.  Vaccine or not, we are going on that cruise.  I will be 73 then, but I don't have an underlying condition.  Also, my doctor tells me that I am about the healthiest guy my age of all his patients.  My wife and I exercise regularly, bike and walk and eat healthy.  Unless my doctor says that I shouldn't go, I will go.

The coronavirus is very contagious, but the fatality rate is very low.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Number of Deaths Share of deaths With underlying conditions Without underlying conditions Unknown if with underlying cond. Share of deaths
of unknown + w/o cond.
0 - 17 years old
0.04%
0%
18 - 44 years old
4.5%
1.0%
45 - 64 years old
23.1%
3.5%
65 - 74 years old
24.6%
6.0%
75+ years old
47.7%
14.2%
TOTAL
100%
24.68%

[1] Underlying illnesses include Diabetes, Lung Disease, Cancer, Immunodeficiency, Heart Disease, Hypertension, Asthma, Kidney Disease, and GI/Liver Disease. [source]

Statistics as of April 14, 2020.

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see what guidelines some countries might come up with reference to travelers entering their country.  Remember the good old days when some required you to present your vaccination/shot records...😷  I still have my little yellow booklet. 

Edited by cluso
sp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cluso said:

It will be interesting to see what guidelines some countries might come up with reference to travelers entering their country.  Remember the good old days when some required you to present your vaccination/shot records...😷  I still have my little yellow booklet. 

I see lots of phone apps carrying a lot of our personal info on them in the near future . . . 

• Thanks 1

It's too soon to determine the effectiveness of a COVID-19 vaccine or to impose vaccine requirements on cruise ship passengers.  IMO, air travel poses a greater risk than being on a cruise ship.  Should air line passengers be vaccinated before they get on a plane as well?

• Like 3

I won’t cruise until there is a vaccine, or the virus has mutated to a weak version. I think people who have never cruised won’t even consider it in light of the bad publicity. Glad I never bought any cruise line stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It's too soon to determine the effectiveness of a COVID-19 vaccine or to impose vaccine requirements on cruise ship passengers.  IMO, air travel poses a greater risk than being on a cruise ship.  Should air line passengers be vaccinated before they get on a plane as well?

Absolutely, you would need to impose the same restrictions on all air travel, I don’t see it happening. My feeling is we will go out of lockdown and bit by bit travel will commence again. It’s not going to be smooth or easy but at some stage with or without a vaccine governments are going to want to get things started again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I won’t cruise until there is a vaccine, or the virus has mutated to a weak version. I think people who have never cruised won’t even consider it in light of the bad publicity. Glad I never bought any cruise line stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Given some of the major cruise TS’s are saying that even taking away those with FCC many others are booking new cruises clearly they have considered it and have booked. I’d be amazed if none of those bookings are from individuals who have never cruised before.

Edited by yorky
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Absolutely no data supports that position.  The CDC specifically addresses it: Because of how air circulates and is filtered on airplanes, most viruses and other germs do not spread easily. Although the risk of infection on an airplane is low, try to avoid contact with sick passengers, avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands, and wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Absolutely no data supports that position.  The CDC specifically addresses it: Because of how air circulates and is filtered on airplanes, most viruses and other germs do not spread easily. Although the risk of infection on an airplane is low, try to avoid contact with sick passengers, avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands, and wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.

Perhaps, but at the beginning of this virus crisis the CDC also said that we didn't need to wear masks...boy has that been back peddled.  

Additionally, my opinion comes from the close contact to other passengers who might be infected...not necessarily the air circulation of the air craft.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

10 hours ago, ERParadise said:

Almost 99% of people who have died from COVID-19 are over 70, have excessive weight, smoker, have diabetes, or have heart or lung disease.

No one with any of these characteristics should cruise until they have received a vaccine for COVID-19

Cruise ships will have people with the virus with zero symptoms until everyone is required to have the vaccine to cruise.

Younger people without any of the above medical issues can take the chance, because if they get it most likely they will be ok.

Hope no one with the above medical issues takes the chance before they get a vaccine

There's one thing you omitted to talk about when distinguishing between older and younger guests. Younger are just as effective at passing on the virus as anybody else. That's the rub.  

Phil 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

If you are sitting next to someone with the virus for 8hr I’m pretty sure you are at risk, the infected passenger then gets off and spreads it to others at his final destination. How many people travel by air every single day in the world ?

3 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

True wisdom only comes from the experts.

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 4.47.35 AM.png

That was in January and has since been proven incorrect.

And, unless it's cancelled, my wife (who is 72) and I (I'm 57) are definitely planning on going on our cruise on August 9th.

Edited by K.T.B.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ERParadise said:

How about the people they'll spread it to after they leave the cruise?

• Like 3

No cruising or flying for us until there is an effective vaccine and treatment. We are in mid 70s, no underlying conditions. We live in NYC in a high rise building and have been notified there are cases in our building. We have to go through elevators and other common areas to pick up deliveries and that's enough risk for us. We canceled an Oceania Mediterranean Cruise for Oct 2020. We moved an Anthem of the Seas cruise out of NJ from Jan 2021 to Jan 2022. We have a Mediterranean Cruise on the Constellation scheduled for May 2021. When (if) 2022 cruises are announced we will likely move that one as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I'm wondering if we are headed toward the South Korea model in terms of app development (and sharing an enormous amount of personal data) to track the virus or, as Emirates started doing, doing rapid blood tests on anyone who boards a flight?  Or something along those lines.  I think if we have the capability to test and track effectively, maybe we can get back to some expanded travel before the vaccine exists?  I think I would be willing to do that.  

• Like 3

Sorry for repeating here as I know I have commented extensively on this topic elsewhere. 

I think that if an effective vaccine is actually developed it will be initially very limited to global hot spots and to those at greatest risk.  Manufacturing and distribution will be initially very limited.  Most luxury cruise ship passengers will be low priority.  I'm not trying to rain on the parade but I think waiting for a vaccine means you might never cruise again or not cruise for a number of years.  It is possible that a therapeutic approach against the virus might come before a vaccine (which might never come unfortunately).  A good anti-viral therapy would also help tremendously in lieu of a vaccine.   I think the greatest hope is in natural immunity (antibodies) against the virus if they are proven to provide protection from re-infection.  So maybe cruising might require in the future an antibody test and a certificate that one has positive antibodies as a requirement for boarding a cruise ship.

• Like 3

While the serology tests aren't infallible, they are a great step in the right direction. With results available within 10 minutes, the lead taken by the Emirates is one that the CLIA and its members should following, as should airlines everywhere.

• Like 2