is the Quest going away

Is the buffet going away

Are the MDR tables going to be spaced further apart

Are the elevators going to be capacity controlled

Are the parties in the promenade going away

Are the -------------------------

• Like 1

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

It is pretty hard to verify that they viewed it in a venue, too. All you can do us verify that they were present. I think a cabin attendent can quickly verify that their assigned cabins are occupied.

They scan your Seapass card at venues -- that's how they know if you attended or not.  You can also attend with your earbuds on and not pay the slightest attention to the presentation which is the same thing as not going.   The honor system in staterooms is what they might end up doing.

I don't know if all Royal Caribbean ships do the same but Anthem has that awesome and fun muster drill video. That is so much fun and better than the old stale boring drills of the past. Its also on its own channel on the cabin TV. We watched it a million times during both cruise. I found the same video on You Tube but it showed a Celebrity ship so it was obviously for Celebrity cruises but same exact video.

I have seen so much speculation about what people "think" will happen.  Let's just wait and see.  I know some people have this strong need to be "right" or "first".    How about none of us actually know?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, strathcona said:

Cruising industry will adapt. I remember when we used to have to wear our life vest down to deck 4 or 5. I even remember our first cruise on a brand new Grandeur that it was women and children to the front of the line during the drill. Does anyone remember those days. 

Yes times have definitely changed.  I remember a time when people used to bring the drink of the day with a drink in each hand to the drill.  They also hid in the bathroom -- now that they scan your Seapass card you can't hide and they don't allow drinks anymore.  

1 minute ago, BND said:

I have seen so much speculation about what people "think" will happen.  Let's just wait and see.  I know some people have this strong need to be "right" or "first".    How about none of us actually know?

Speculation is nothing new to CC. It happens about all manner of subjects.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is the difference between sitting in some venue watching a video, as is done on the O class ships, or sitting in your cabin watching a video? A cabin video seems like an easy fix.

They just want you to know where you are supposed to meet.  You would probably see more of the video if you had to watch it from your stateroom. 

• Like 2

I don't believe social distancing is even possible on cruise ships.  The Muster Drill might be an easier fix but there are many entertainment and dining venues where it would be nearly impossible to social distance. Ships would have to reduce capacity by 50% or more.  In order for ships to cover their costs, they need capacity to be at or near 100%.   So unless, like some stated, there is a treatment or vaccine, I don't think cruising is going to happen. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes times have definitely changed.  I remember a time when people used to bring the drink of the day with a drink in each hand to the drill.  They also hid in the bathroom -- now that they scan your Seapass card you can't hide and they don't allow drinks anymore.  

Back in 2002 on Carnival Imagination, we stayed in the cabin with a bucket of beer and played Keno on the interactive TV during muster drill.  We just ignored the knock on our door prior to the drill.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is the difference between sitting in some venue watching a video, as is done on the O class ships, or sitting in your cabin watching a video? A cabin video seems like an easy fix.

They want you to know where your muster station is.  Making you go there accomplishes that.  For most people anyway. 😉

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 5

Figuring out how the Muster Drill will be held going forward is going to be a walk in the park compared with what to do with the Spa / Salon / Fitness services.  Most cruise lines outsource the Spa services, however, they receive a percentage of revenue --not sure what that percentage is.  Imagine all the empty space and lost revenue they will have due to a closed Spa as social distancing is not possible for massages, haircuts, manicures, etc.  Somehow the cost of lost revenue will have to be transferred to the consumer or they will be forced to discontinue operations. 

34 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I don't believe social distancing is even possible on cruise ships.  The Muster Drill might be an easier fix but there are many entertainment and dining venues where it would be nearly impossible to social distance. Ships would have to reduce capacity by 50% or more.  In order for ships to cover their costs, they need capacity to be at or near 100%.   So unless, like some stated, there is a treatment or vaccine, I don't think cruising is going to happen. 

Exactly.  But people here continue to discuss "social distancing" on ships.   It's simply impossible for so many reasons.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

I don't know if all Royal Caribbean ships do the same but Anthem has that awesome and fun muster drill video. That is so much fun and better than the old stale boring drills of the past. Its also on its own channel on the cabin TV. We watched it a million times during both cruise. I found the same video on You Tube but it showed a Celebrity ship so it was obviously for Celebrity cruises but same exact video.

we had to watch that "fun" video on Allure January 2020. Perception of "awesome and fun" is always a personal opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Exactly.  But people here continue to discuss "social distancing" on ships.   It's simply impossible for so many reasons.  

You're right -- we have many "dreamers" among us who will be boarding the Disney Dream and Carnival Dream on June 12th. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, molly361 said:

I was just going to post the same thing.  Instead of the cabin guy checking your stateroom to make sure you are OUT he would check it to make sure you are IN

Really like the idea, (in room Video)possible. Though with the Costa accident and way it changed everything feel they'd still want passengers to report to Station

34 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Really like the idea, (in room Video)possible. Though with the Costa accident and way it changed everything feel they'd still want passengers to report to Station

A key to the drill is knowing where to muster, because it varies by line/ship (I've met in theaters, dining rooms, and out on the deck below hanging lifeboats) and it is also a great idea for those who've never experienced it to see what it is like to muster and be counted as present.   (When I worked offshore every Summer in college, we were a few days into the first voyage to Bermuda to take supplies before I was ever put thru a muster drill, and one of the deck officers thought it would be smart to have me put on an immersion suit, which in an emergency would have been critical, so I can speak from the crew side of a ship and say it is important to know where, what, why, and how.) Those who are heavily experienced cruisers may have a good idea of what to expect and needs to be done, but each ship can be different and processes get updated at times, so that's why everyone had to muster every cruise. 

Only exception I've experienced was a 14 day RT sailing from Vancouver to Whittier and back, on the back side, since we were booked as 14 day pax, we didn't have to be back in time for or participate in the muster.   We did get back though ahead of it, just because we caught the end of the prior tunnel opening.  Our cabin attendant just told us if we didn't want to gather to stay in our cabin until everyone was released, which was not big deal.     Also, missed main muster on our Baltic Sea sailing, but as the last bus from the airport they knew we were missing muster and had an alternate planned for soon after we were aboard in a lounge where we were counted and all put on a life vest.

Things will be different for the near future and possibly forever after this virus settles down and goes away. Getting to that point will probably be painful for some and for the cruise lines but is going to just be part of the process. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

No.😉😄

ok I give, really, my recollection was someone was going to collapse from heat stroke or heart attack from those life boat drills wearing the life jacket in the Florida sun. Just don't remember if they started to change over on the Voyager class. On the Oasis class you don't even need a life jacket in your room. They give it to you. 

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Figuring out how the Muster Drill will be held going forward is going to be a walk in the park compared with what to do with the Spa / Salon / Fitness services.  Most cruise lines outsource the Spa services, however, they receive a percentage of revenue --not sure what that percentage is.  Imagine all the empty space and lost revenue they will have due to a closed Spa as social distancing is not possible for massages, haircuts, manicures, etc.  Somehow the cost of lost revenue will have to be transferred to the consumer or they will be forced to discontinue operations. 

What about the elevators?  max would be 2 people, 6 feet apart.  Or do they close them off and make everyone take the stairs?  Tender ports?  only 20 per tender?

What happens in an emergency and they have to evacuate the ship?   only 20 people per life boats?

We can speculate all we want but on a cruise ship it would have to return as it was.   You will sign a document before you board agreeing that there is no social distancing etc you are in a confined space.   If you don't agree you don't cruise.

• Like 1

The only logical answer to all this speculation is a safe and effective vaccine.  Until that becomes universally available, and a potential passenger can provide the cruise line with evidence they had the vaccine, IMO cruising is a dead stick.  Someone also said that to be profitable the ships need to be at or near 100% occupancy.  Think of a ship that has only 50% of the staterooms occupied but having the exact same revenue by charging double for everything.  And maybe even more than that.  Those that paid double will eat half as much.  There will be half as many cabins to clean.  They could even reduce the number of cabins. Drink prices could double to account for the 50% reduction in consumption.  I don’t think that will supplant the necessity for a fully vaccinated crew and guests, but it will definitely make it more attractive for some, including us.  Some ports won’t like it while others will.   There is definitely a business model to be considered.  But not until a vaccine is available to all.  

Heck  I just want to watch Baseball.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Would be hard to verify if a passenger actually viewed the muster drill video in their stateroom.  

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 9.57.19 AM.png

A lot of people are drunk enough by the muster drill to even remember that they were there

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

On another thread someone pointed out that removing the over 70’s from a cruise would immediately reduce the numbers onboard. Controversial but possible. 

And totally against the law, I would imagine. There are many laws protecting the rights of senior citizens. Talk about discrimination at its worst.  Age is just a number.  As a member of the medical profession, I have seen many much younger than 70 that are in far worse physical and mental shape than many 70 year old. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

Back in 2002 on Carnival Imagination, we stayed in the cabin with a bucket of beer and played Keno on the interactive TV during muster drill.  We just ignored the knock on our door prior to the drill.

I presume if there was a problem during the cruise and lifeboats were needed you would also have stayed in your cabin with a bucket of beer.