Jump to content

When cruising begins again... What will be different?


Recommended Posts

Here is my list of what I think will be different.  What say you?

 

1) Mandatory Temp Checks during boarding.

2) Life Boat drills form your cabin on the TV.

3) No self serve buffet.

4) Reduced Ship capacity.

5) Silent Disco headphones might get sanitized.

6) No refilling ANY bottles in buffet.  

 

Your Turn..... GO!

Edited by Sam.Seattle
added re-filling bottles
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultra-violet sanitizing stations at entrance to lounges and public venues. 

 

The return of single use plastic straws. 

 

Removal of glass beer bottles; to be replaced by screw top aluminum cans served sealed(then the bar tender is not touching the spout of bottle to open it). 

 

The end of complimentary room services

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking like it could be a different year also.  Cruise lines will be the dead last form of "travel" reinstated.

There is no public appetite other than here with the pro cruising community.  It's too bad but my personal wishes don't override common sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Here is my list of what I think will be different.  What say you?

 

1) Mandatory Temp Checks during boarding.

Does nothing for asymptomatic persons, and little for other contagions such as noro.  I guess it would add a feeling that "something" was being done. 

 

2 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

2) Life Boat drills form your cabin on the TV.

Not going to happen for legal, and for "greater risk" reasons. 

 

2 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

3) No self serve buffet.

Unlikely but possible.  They go away from self-serve buffet during norovirus incidents, and people then complain about lines, and staff is required to work additional hours.  If it were a permanent fixture, it would require additional staff, meaning additional expense.  Very unlikely in this competitive industry with price-conscious customers.

 

2 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

4) Reduced Ship capacity.

Again, reducing the capacity is reducing the profitability.  If you mean smaller ships, like we had 20 years ago, customers won't tolerate the increased price for decreased amenities.  If you mean sailing current ships, with reduced passengers aboard, it's economically unsustainable.  The ship's design is based on generating a profit only by sailing at capacity.  It's not near so much a matter of the fares - I suppose you could increase those - but the per passenger spend on board (Shops, casino, etc.).  Generally the cruise fare gets the ship to about the break even point.  Profitability relies on the additional spending. 

 

2 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

5) Silent Disco headphones might get sanitized.

Should be simple enough

 

2 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

6) No refilling ANY bottles in buffet.  

Already a rule.  Widely ignored not by the cruise line, but by the passengers.

 

Harris

Denver, CO

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are concerned with the proximity to other passengers at the life boat drill, wouldn't you also be concerned to proximity at bars, dining rooms, pool, etc?

I would like the option to have lunch in a dining room even on port days.  That way the buffet can be avoided.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Here is my list of what I think will be different.  What say you?

 

1) Mandatory Temp Checks during boarding.

2) Life Boat drills form your cabin on the TV.

3) No self serve buffet.

4) Reduced Ship capacity.

5) Silent Disco headphones might get sanitized.

6) No refilling ANY bottles in buffet.  

 

Your Turn..... GO!

I thought we discussed this in other threads ???

No. 3 makes sense--- The rest , forget it, ain't gonna happen .

I do think , at least, hope people will be more vigilant in personal hygiene , as in , taking 10 seconds to wash their hands and not go into any restaurant sweating and looking like xxxx . 

And, stop friggin pushing in line at the ice cream bar !!!!

 

 

Also, 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

 

This.  I think that rapid test kits would be helpful.  Testing temperatures misses the large number that are asymptomatic.

As of now the 15 minute Abbott test can only do one swab at a time.  4 per hour.  Each terminal would need hundreds of machines.  We need a machine that can do 200 swabs an hour.    I also think facial recognition can really help here.  Your face produces a barcode connected to your swab.   Easily tracked with hopefully negative results.  JMHO

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, marieps said:

As of now the 15 minute Abbott test can only do one swab at a time.  4 per hour.  Each terminal would need hundreds of machines.  We need a machine that can do 200 swabs an hour.    I also think facial recognition can really help here.  Your face produces a barcode connected to your swab.   Easily tracked with hopefully negative results.  JMHO

Even at 200 per hour, a little over ten hours to complete boarding.  Where do you sequester everyone pending results? 

 

One of the ideas of vastly expanded testing is then contact tracing.  How often have you flown to a cruise and seen others headed to the same cruise on your flight.  Shared a hotel shuttle to the cruise with others, etc.  If one tests positive, countless of the "negative" results, would then be "contacts".  Pre-boarding testing sounds good, but in practice it woudln't be either practical, or effective. 

 

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see seating in buffets by an attendant like in casinos where someone gets your table wear and drinks and your seat is not up for grabs.  This way tables and chairs can be wiped and people are not touching dirty dishes to move them aside.  There should be more tables for two and four and they should be further apart in both the buffet and dining room.  I have seen buffet seating by an attendant on one ship (early Quantum or early Oasis?) and it worked great.  The whole buffet process was much more civilized with out that food fight feeling.  I also think that servers dishing up food will be a for sure change.

 

People who cough should be required to wear a mask in public areas even if "it is just an allergy".  Who among us has not had to change seats in the showroom because someone behind them was coughing on their neck.  Hand sanitizer stations should be

checked make sure they are in working order and have juice at all times.  Menus should be disposable or at least plastic so that they can be wiped clean.  It does no good to wash your hands before entering the MDR when you touch a menu and then touch a bread roll with your hand.  Just some of my ideas that we will probably never see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, omeinv said:

Even at 200 per hour, a little over ten hours to complete boarding.  Where do you sequester everyone pending results? 

 

One of the ideas of vastly expanded testing is then contact tracing.  How often have you flown to a cruise and seen others headed to the same cruise on your flight.  Shared a hotel shuttle to the cruise with others, etc.  If one tests positive, countless of the "negative" results, would then be "contacts".  Pre-boarding testing sounds good, but in practice it woudln't be either practical, or effective. 

 

Harris

Denver, CO

I never said each terminal would only have one machine.  10 machines is certainly worth the investment, IMHO

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless social distancing is eliminated virtually in its entirety, no way cruising resumes within even a shadow of what we are used to.

 

A typical couple of days...

Embarkation day:  Check in times are staggered from 11:30 AM to 3:30 PM at 30 minute intervals.  You cannot check in any time except your exact assigned time.  Just like airlines (if you are zone 6 you cannot board with zone 1).  You will be stopped outside of the terminal.  Inside, lines are spaced by 6 feet, eliminating nose to tail lines.  Tripling space needed for queues.  Check in counters cut by 2/3rds (currently you are inches from other pax checking in).  After check in, you get into a regulated line and enter the ship at established intervals.  No way of lining up for security.  When 1 pax clears security (or couple), next one.  

 

All days: MDR capacity cut in half to accommodate separation (this is what land based restaurants will be required to do when they reopen).  Dining room times set between 5:00 PM and 10:00 PM with set seating.  No more open seating (and no queues at hostess stand).  Buffet, if it exists at all, is crew served and entry to the serving area restricted for spacing.  Seats in the theater cut by 50-65% for separation.  Tickets required for all shows. 

 

Port days: No lining up for disembarkation.  Numbers will be issued whether tender port or not.  Until your number is called, not permitted to enter disembarkation zone.  Tender capacity decreased by 50-65%, requiring tender disembarkations to last 2-3 hours minimum.  Returning to ship, no entry lines either at security at pier or security at ship.  Tenders returning to ship at same decreased capacity.  All aboard time 90 minutes minimum prior to departure. 

 

Lots more restrictions.  These are but a few.  But, like I said, "unless social distancing is eliminated virtually in its entirety." Which I don't expect in the next 90 days, minimum, but that is MHO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have any crystal ball, but I can't see cruising happening if any of the incremental changes being discussed on this thread are actually necessary. The cruise line and passengers would just be accepting too much risk. IF an antibody test proves indicative of actual immunity, then a rapid test could differentiate susceptible from protected, but that requires the test and the studies to support its use.

 

I personally think it's going to be much more radical change, or there simply won't be cruising until the virus mutates away from humans or there's a vaccine that's effective in the cruise population and setting. And I don't see that happening in 2021...

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, markeb said:

I don't have any crystal ball, but I can't see cruising happening if any of the incremental changes being discussed on this thread are actually necessary. The cruise line and passengers would just be accepting too much risk. IF an antibody test proves indicative of actual immunity, then a rapid test could differentiate susceptible from protected, but that requires the test and the studies to support its use.

 

I personally think it's going to be much more radical change, or there simply won't be cruising until the virus mutates away from humans or there's a vaccine that's effective in the cruise population and setting. And I don't see that happening in 2021...

Here's an article about what Wynn Casinos is proposing IT WANT TO DO in order to reopen their casinos in Las Vegas in mid May as they are requesting the Nevada Governor do. Although it's not directly transferable to the cruise industry since a land based casino hotel would have guests coming and going as opposed to a fixed passenger list on a cruiseship there are some procedures that the cruiseships will have to adopt.  What's interesting is they propose all casino guests WEAR MASKS. This is being proposed by the company itself, not by the CDC or the government. What it means is that for the travel and leisure industry in order to reopen as quickly as possible things WILL NOT BE BUSINESS AS USUAL. 

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/wynn-resorts-unveils-health-and-safety-plan-for-reopening/

Edited by kwokpot
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

Unless social distancing is eliminated virtually in its entirety, no way cruising resumes within even a shadow of what we are used to.

 

A typical couple of days...

Embarkation day:  Check in times are staggered from 11:30 AM to 3:30 PM at 30 minute intervals.  You cannot check in any time except your exact assigned time.  Just like airlines (if you are zone 6 you cannot board with zone 1).  You will be stopped outside of the terminal.  Inside, lines are spaced by 6 feet, eliminating nose to tail lines.  Tripling space needed for queues.  Check in counters cut by 2/3rds (currently you are inches from other pax checking in).  After check in, you get into a regulated line and enter the ship at established intervals.  No way of lining up for security.  When 1 pax clears security (or couple), next one.  

 

All days: MDR capacity cut in half to accommodate separation (this is what land based restaurants will be required to do when they reopen).  Dining room times set between 5:00 PM and 10:00 PM with set seating.  No more open seating (and no queues at hostess stand).  Buffet, if it exists at all, is crew served and entry to the serving area restricted for spacing.  Seats in the theater cut by 50-65% for separation.  Tickets required for all shows. 

 

Port days: No lining up for disembarkation.  Numbers will be issued whether tender port or not.  Until your number is called, not permitted to enter disembarkation zone.  Tender capacity decreased by 50-65%, requiring tender disembarkations to last 2-3 hours minimum.  Returning to ship, no entry lines either at security at pier or security at ship.  Tenders returning to ship at same decreased capacity.  All aboard time 90 minutes minimum prior to departure. 

 

Lots more restrictions.  These are but a few.  But, like I said, "unless social distancing is eliminated virtually in its entirety." Which I don't expect in the next 90 days, minimum, but that is MHO.

First of all, who in the heck would want to cruise at all with all these restrictions?  Not me.  If I wanted that much regimentation I'd join the Army (or would if I was not over 65 years old😉).  And what good do all these restrictions do if you are sitting next to people in lounges, riding with them in elevators, swimming with them in pools and on and on.  There is no way to social distance on a cruise ship - period.  Certainly some other precautions will take place, but until we can sail without needing to social distance the ships will not sail.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

First of all, who in the heck would want to cruise at all with all these restrictions?  Not me.  If I wanted that much regimentation I'd join the Army (or would if I was not over 65 years old😉).  And what good do all these restrictions do if you are sitting next to people in lounges, riding with them in elevators, swimming with them in pools and on and on.  There is no way to social distance on a cruise ship - period.  Certainly some other precautions will take place, but until we can sail without needing to social distance the ships will not sail.

Yep.  That was my point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, omeinv said:

Does nothing for asymptomatic persons, and little for other contagions such as noro.  I guess it would add a feeling that "something" was being done. 

 

Not going to happen for legal, and for "greater risk" reasons. 

 

Unlikely but possible.  They go away from self-serve buffet during norovirus incidents, and people then complain about lines, and staff is required to work additional hours.  If it were a permanent fixture, it would require additional staff, meaning additional expense.  Very unlikely in this competitive industry with price-conscious customers.

 

Again, reducing the capacity is reducing the profitability.  If you mean smaller ships, like we had 20 years ago, customers won't tolerate the increased price for decreased amenities.  If you mean sailing current ships, with reduced passengers aboard, it's economically unsustainable.  The ship's design is based on generating a profit only by sailing at capacity.  It's not near so much a matter of the fares - I suppose you could increase those - but the per passenger spend on board (Shops, casino, etc.).  Generally the cruise fare gets the ship to about the break even point.  Profitability relies on the additional spending. 

 

Should be simple enough

 

Already a rule.  Widely ignored not by the cruise line, but by the passengers.

 

Harris

Denver, CO

 

I agree wholeheartedly, with one exception. There's no need to sanitize the disco headsets because the packed-like-sardines disco sessions should be a thing of the past. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...