When will you cruise again?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. When will you cruise again?

• Never. Too old or too much risk
    • Never due to the way Cunard has handled refunds
    • As soon as Cruising starts
    • Not until a vaccine or treatment is here
    • Not until late 2021
    • After I see a few cruises that stops at multiple ports go smoothly with no infections

If and when it is clear what the cruise product (onboard, ports, getting there) will be And what will it cost.

Cruising would then be put into analysis against other vacation options to determine the winner.

The days of always assuming a cruise is first are long gone - and myself and others who have made that attitude change is the biggest risk to cruise companies. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Flying-Dragon said:

Finally I want to read reviews from early cruisers to see what their reaction is to distancing protocols on board - what worked, what didn't, whether the experience was indeed relaxing and enjoyable, and of course whether there are any virus cases emerging with the opening up of cruising.

A sound approach.  However, reviews written by early cruisers might need to be taken with a grain of salt.  They are most likely to be most strongly addicted - willing to accept whatever just to get on board a ship again - and possibly reluctant to acknowledge having made a mistake.

14 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

A sound approach.  However, reviews written by early cruisers might need to be taken with a grain of salt.  They are most likely to be most strongly addicted - willing to accept whatever just to get on board a ship again - and possibly reluctant to acknowledge having made a mistake.

Yes, that's quite true.  Our plan is to check reviews for much of 2010 and not make a decision until near the end of the year.

Edited by Flying-Dragon

Lived through the Pandemic in 1968 and cruised that year.   We had no masks, no lockdowns, and traveled freely.   The U.S. had over 100K dead from the H1N1 flu.   Guess we were a different society then.   I will hopefully cruise in Dec on the QM2 and will take whatever precautions are required.   Here in Maryland, we have to wear masks in public so I have gotten quite used to them.

• Like 2

'Everyone will get used to the new " normal" - some sooner, some later. We have to cope with the new normal and we will.

Masks requiered here too, but only when entering a shop, public transportation -  or since today- a restaurant!

I read that it is easyier to keep up with new "normal" on bigger ships. So I thing QM2 is best qualified for that kind of messure.

Edited by Germancruiser

I am longing to return to the QM2, but alas, as a senior citizen, I will not return until there is an effective widespread vaccine, and that does not appear in the near future.

• Like 1

Lived through the Pandemic in 1968 and cruised that year.   We had no masks, no lockdowns, and traveled freely.   The U.S. had over 100K dead from the H1N1 flu.   Guess we were a different society then.   I will hopefully cruise in Dec on the QM2 and will take whatever precautions are required.   Here in Maryland, we have to wear masks in public so I have gotten quite used to them.

Agree. We have a Caribbean cruise booked with Celebrity Dec4th this year . If it runs we will be on board . Off to Hong kong , Vietnam and Singapore Oct/ Nov 2021 on Queen Elizabeth

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How relaxed will the holiday be just after resumption of cruising? How will social distancing work? How many can sit around the pool and go for a swim? Face masks - can you feel relaxed and on holiday wearing one? Lifts can only be used by one person? What happens the  someone on a cruise ship somewhere is diagnosed with coronavirus? What will that do to cruising? There has to be a vaccine first. Yes people enjoy cruising but when and what ports will be open and welcoming when passengers go ashore? Ask the people of Sydney, Australia ?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

Transferred my January 2021 Panama Canal Cruise to the same in 2022.

Miki_moto, we are still on that cruise (V105) for January of 2021 but if we get to final payment date and it appears that a vaccine will not be ready in time, we will also transfer to 2022. After all the commotion this year with the World Cruises and C-19, I can't imagine that Cunard would start another one without a readily available vaccine and/or effective treatment. However, at this point, I doubt if even they know what they are going to do. On the bright side, my wife has learned how to make an excellent scone, so we will survive until this is all sorted out. 

Jack

On 5/17/2020 at 11:52 AM, majortom10 said:

Hoping my booking in October on QM2 is going to be cancelled before balance due and my next cruise will hopefully one we have booked in May 2021.

its quite likely now. P&O just exteneded their "pause" date yesterday upto and including 15th October. So my 12th October cruise is cancelled (prior to paying final balance).

I also have a QM2 cruise booked in this December and TBH am hoping that is cancelled too.

18 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Miki_moto, we are still on that cruise (V105) for January of 2021 but if we get to final payment date and it appears that a vaccine will not be ready in time, we will also transfer to 2022. After all the commotion this year with the World Cruises and C-19, I can't imagine that Cunard would start another one without a readily available vaccine and/or effective treatment. However, at this point, I doubt if even they know what they are going to do. On the bright side, my wife has learned how to make an excellent scone, so we will survive until this is all sorted out. 

Jack

We have today moved our 2021 world cruise to 2022. Am glad we did as places are going fast for obvious reasons. We do not want to spend good money on a cruise which could well have lots of restrictions limitation of itinerary. We hope you have no problems.

20 hours ago, Trevor33 said:

We have today moved our 2021 world cruise to 2022. Am glad we did as places are going fast for obvious reasons. We do not want to spend good money on a cruise which could well have lots of restrictions limitation of itinerary. We hope you have no problems.

Wow, that was lucky. Same number of days but some ports missed (Bali and Darwin for starters) and others added (Manila and Rabaul) with a deficit of 4 ports in total.

I trust Cunard offered the same price and package.

Instead of rebooking a westbound TA (original trip), we decided to hedge our bets (if we get sick) and rebook a cruise from NY-Quebec in October 2021.  We have never been on a Cunard cruise, and we're not sure how the "new normal" is going to look like. That being said, we are excited about boarding on the majestic QM2. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 7:16 PM, Meliador said:

Instead of rebooking a westbound TA (original trip), we decided to hedge our bets (if we get sick) and rebook a cruise from NY-Quebec in October 2021.  We have never been on a Cunard cruise, and we're not sure how the "new normal" is going to look like. That being said, we are excited about boarding on the majestic QM2. 

Again- who knows what the new normal of cruising will be once they start back up... but we do look forward to another Cunard voyage in the future (we were in Norway last summer and were supposed to be in Alaska with Cunard this summer)

Meliador- If you guys are anything like us, once you have your first Cunard cruise you will look forward to your next... which is why we had booked Alaska. It is a very special and nice experience.

That cruise to Quebec sounds great! Perfect time of year with the leaves.

I will cruise when I see how things settle down. It might be autumn next year or 2022, but first I want to see what sort of differences become the norm. One thing, either for cruise on land based holiday. I'll be booking at short notice as I was a bit miffed that I paid the balance months before the cruise but had to wait weeks for a refund.

• Like 1

My next cruise is May 2021 with P&O and November 2021 on QV and currently have a FCD but not sure if we will use it and let it lapse and not 100% certain whether we will cruise again. The hope was to use the FCD on the new ship in 2022 but undecided about that now.

Have our Queen Elizabeth Beatles and Beyond ready and waiting for Oct/ Nov next year, fingers crossed . Just canceled Celebrity Caribbean out of Ft Lauderdale for Dec this year. Just don’t think it will be as special right now as we know it can be. Will so miss the preparation as much as the cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are booked on a 6 night cruise here in Australia for our wedding anniversary 25th November, Cunard have cancelled cruising up to 23rd November, will have to wait and see.  This virus may be around for a long time, so maybe shipping lines need to look at updating air-conditioning there was an article outlining steps that can be taken for nominal dollars like $200,000 to update.