Do you even want to cruise again?

crusinbanjo

5 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

This was a weird website.  Too many political ads.  I wouldn’t give it any credence.

But, the second article on there about the writer's experience on Delta and American in a COVID world was pretty interesting. 

• Like 1

I do want to cruise again.

As part of "coping" with the current covid situation, we have discussed that the greatest peril to happiness here is if we indulge in sadness and regret and nostalgia over things lost -- restaurants closed, certain kinds of businesses disappearing -- that kind of thing.  The given is that the world will be changed in some ways, and happiness lies in accepting and adjusting to the changes.

So, yeah, we want to cruise again.  We like the sea and we like enjoying the sea on a ship.  So we'll adapt as necessary.  

• Like 4

Booked with HAL for 1/21 and X for 2/21 and 3/21. First final payment is 10/6/20. By then I certainly hope HAL and X can tell me what to expect onboard, if the cruises actually take place. If not, it will be deposit refunds.

We would love to cruise again, but only if a vaccine for this horrible thing Is available.  I also think that the cruise lines should require evidence of vaccination for all passengers.  It would only take one anti vaccer to bring covid onboard and the ship could be quarantined.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

This was a weird website.  Too many political ads.  I wouldn’t give it any credence.

I took the article more as an op-ed and nothing more. In my mind because it was an op-ed it was opinion only with no need for any credence.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

A point for all those pinning their hopes to resume cruising upon the development of a vaccine.

No vaccine for a coronavirus has ever been approved.  

But the US and the world are doing rapid development along multiple lines with multiple manufacturers. Any company that gets US funding from Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority has to commit to providing the US 300 million doses other than an English company that is to provide 7 out of 10 doses manufactured.

They have spent about 1 billion of about 5 billion to ramp up manufacturing.

image.png.70cdea30634be560dfdbc2cad4325992.png

There are 13 drugs in clinical trials right now.

image.png.ea127a7f94c24dba067327ab0f987d8a.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_vaccine

A-

Edited by AlanF65
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And reputable sources indicate that the other deadliest coronaviruses have either “fizzled out” - SARS, or been limited to a small area - MERS. So the incentive and motivation to develop a vaccine have not been as great. But respiratory viruses are tough, so I do not want to make it sound too easy.

These sources did warn that the last successful vaccine developed was the Mumps vaccine and that took four years. BUT science, medicine and technology have advanced a bit since then - so we might get one in a bit less time.  

Stay well everyone.

We would love to cruise again. But face masks? Really? I'm fine with wearing them to shop at the grocery or any store, but it's not fun. When shopping we go in, get what we need off our list and we're out. No way would we spend our hard earned money on a cruise if we have to wear a mask. Just not worth it. And we won't chance it until there is a vaccine or the virus goes away. 
One change I'd love to see across the cruising spectrum is HAL's model of serving at the buffet. Why this hasn't been implemented on other lines I'll never know. I think that change is a no-brainer.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

But the US and the world are doing rapid development along multiple lines with multiple manufacturers.

I think we should be cautious around vaccine boosterism / bravado.   SARS and MERS coronaviruses remain unaddressed, and for those of us who have followed Dr Fauci's career through NIH / NIAID since the 1980s, so does HIV.      Science, unfortunately, takes time, and due diligence, and is rarely predictable.    Scott. 

28 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

And reputable sources indicate that the other deadliest coronaviruses have either “fizzled out” - SARS, or been limited to a small area - MERS. So the incentive and motivation to develop a vaccine have not been as great. But respiratory viruses are tough, so I do not want to make it sound too easy.

These sources did warn that the last successful vaccine developed was the Mumps vaccine and that took four years. BUT science, medicine and technology have advanced a bit since then - so we might get one in a bit less time.  

Stay well everyone.

We can only hope....

31 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Stay well everyone.

Well said from my sister Cat!!!

Skies opened up to sunshine and we have had a good day! Will be heading to Big Sur tomorrow!!

Give a hug to Bindi and as always stay well!

Denise😊

• Like 2

Do I want to cruise again?  Surely.

Should I cruise again?  That is a question that has yet to be answered.  Why?  

#1:  What will be the new requirements for guests on board?

#2:  Will my health and physical abilities permit more cruising?  

Will I again cruise on Holland America Line?  Yes.  I'd like one more.  But, my experience on MSC Meraviglia in YC gave me a taste that I would like once more.  A cruise on Seabourn has also become more attractive as a result of my YC experience.  

If I think that I have only one more cruise "in me", it's going to be a difficult choice.  

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Stay well everyone.

I think the incentive is there and the financial risk has been removed in the development phase and manufacturing phase with government funding. Beyond the US there is another 10 billion is funding raised by WHO and China along with 850Million in Canada.

"The crisis in the world is so big that each of us will have to take maximum risk now to put this disease to a stop"

Changing the process to concurrent steps rather  1 step then another also accelerates the process. There has never been a global motivation  and mobilization on this scale in the last 30-50 years. 

• Like 2

.  A cruise on Seabourn has also become more attractive as a result of my YC experience.

Why would you pay such a huge premium for Seabourn?

what are the salient features that justify its extremely high pricing?

YES! YES!!! And definitely Yes!!  I want to cruise again! And so does everyone who has commented on this thread obviously or they wouldn’t be still checking these boards.

If you have decided never to cruise again, please  save your sarcasm for something else and go home and plan your next adventure. Just not on a ship I’m sailing on because you are obviously the one who is never satisfied no matter what you paid for eating all day and being transported from port to port while sleeping in a clean maintained cabin twice a day. 😅 😌 phew!

Had to get that off my chest🤗. Cruising is not to blame for this pandemic . Hope floats in me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, drsel said:

Why would you pay such a huge premium for Seabourn?

what are the salient features that justify its extremely high pricing?

Would I prefer to pay the per/day prices of a Seabourn cruise as compared to a non-luxury line?  No.  Would I do so for all cruises that I might take in the future?  No.  

However, my YC experience on MSC Meraviglia demonstrated to me a "different style of cruising" that I have not experienced.  It's a "step above" Neptune Suite levels on HAL that I have experienced.  

The window for future cruises is closing due to my health and the pandemic.  If I decide to cruise again, I am going to select a cruise and cruise line that will provide me for what I hope will be my best experience possible at that time.  Just in case, it will be my 62nd cruise.  (And, I am not at all sure that that number in my signature will be achieved.)

I believe that cruising will be interrupted for far longer than many people believe.

i also believe that when the industry does emerge it will look very different.  I would not expect cruise lines to mirror what they were prior to covid nor do I think they will all survive.  The parent. Corporations may survive  but I expect that some subsidiary cruise lines will fall victim and disappear.    It will be about financial survival.

• Like 1