Boarding refused? Hypothetical question.

sandancer

So the scenario is this: Mr and Mrs Cruiser arrive at the port (both are over 65) after a long, tiring flight from their home where it rarely gets above 65. It is in the high 80s so both are hot and bothered. Temp is taken by check in staff and it is above the required limit. They are refused boarding despite having no other symptoms. Travel insurance is not valid for Covid 19 problems. Would the cruise line assist or offer any compensation? I anticipate the answer is no, they are not required to offer anything but curious to know what the procedure would be and I’m sure someone on these boards will know. 

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

So the scenario is this: Mr and Mrs Cruiser arrive at the port (both are over 65) after a long, tiring flight from their home where it rarely gets above 65. It is in the high 80s so both are hot and bothered. Temp is taken by check in staff and it is above the required limit. They are refused boarding despite having no other symptoms. Travel insurance is not valid for Covid 19 problems. Would the cruise line assist or offer any compensation? I anticipate the answer is no, they are not required to offer anything but curious to know what the procedure would be and I’m sure someone on these boards will know. 

I think the procedure in that situation is that Mr and Mrs cruiser go inside to a cooled quarantine area and sit for a while.  Their temperature drops to a normal level and they enjoy their cruise.  Hopefully Mr and Mrs cruiser are clever enough to fly in the day before the cruise and are able to get rested in an air conditioned hotel before their cruise.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

No one here knows the answer to that question.  Celebrity probably doesn't either.   Unless the air conditioned cooling room works 🙂

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

None or the “what if’s” are known at this point.  Temps will definitely be taken that’s about all we know.  Don’t think any guidance will be given until the virus s under control somewhat.  But that is also a what if.  Wouldn’t worry about speculating or assumptions at this point, 

• Like 1

Good question....Insurance not covering covid 19 will, I am sure, be a major reason for many guests deciding not to cruise next year.

Quite simply booking a cruise without insurance that covers you for medical care and flights back home is too risky....actually getting back your cruise cost could be the least of your worries. 

As a token on good will Celebrity may offer you a FCC but I am sure they would not be obliged to...I am fairly certain they would not pay for hotels, medical assessments/treatment, flights if you were refused boarding...

Edited by chemmo

When I cruised from Hong Kong at the end of January on NCL there was a 1,000 people refused boarding because they had either visited or transited  through mainland China.  This exclusion was only announced a couple of days before boarding but all affected were reimbursed the cost of their cruise but not airfare or accommodation. I know it’s not the same but I would think if they deny you boarding they would have to refund you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Costa preliminary FAQ which described similar requirements for boarding said if you were denied for medical reasons you would be eligible for a refund of your cruise fare.   I expect this will be the case with RCI brands when the actual rules are put out.  They are going to have to be somewhat accommodating to assure people feel safe to be successful.

• Like 1

Yesterday my wife had her temp taken after driving in a hot car and it was over the limit.  She was asked to sit in a cool area for 5 minutes.   It was taken again and she was normal.   It does happen.    I would hope the cruise lines would allow this same type of process where someone can cool off for 5 minutes before taking the temp again.

Edited by cruiserhal
Add additional comment.
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

For one thing, it is very doubtful that being in a warmer than normal climate would cause their temperatures to raise as high as it would need to be to prohibit boarding (100.5 I believe).  

We are warm blooded mammals, our temperature doesn’t vary with the outside temperature.

Only reptiles are effected by variances of ambient temperature.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

We are warm blooded mammals, our temperature doesn’t vary with the outside temperature.

While this is accurate, here's what actually happened to me several days ago:  had an appointment at a salon where you must wait in your car until your stylist is ready for you. Since I arrived a little early, I waited several minutes -the last few with the car turned off and windows down . . . but it is Alabama . . . when I went in and she took my temp, it was over the limit.  She had me step wait in the cool space for about 3 or 4 minutes, and it was normal.  Part of the issue is with the non-contact thermometers that read your temp off your forehead from an inch away, they pick up ambient heat from your skin.

I don't believe that temp checks alone will be the final answer for boarding.  Just a quick screen.  They will not even rule out asymptomatic carriers.  Kind of useless IMO if it is the only criteria. 

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Good question....Insurance not covering covid 19 will, I am sure, be a major reason for many guests deciding not to cruise next year.

Quite simply booking a cruise without insurance that covers you for medical care and flights back home is too risky....actually getting back your cruise cost could be the least of your worries. 

Correct. Traveling without covid coverage will keep many people at home, not just going on a cruise, but many other travel options. 

Thanks everyone for your input. I have learned something new. I did not know 100.5 was the upper temp limit. I was interested to hear if the cruise lines would assist financially and again, I now know that some, if not all will. I agree totally about the arrival the day before the cruise. At least one day. 

I am hoping that the travel insurance business will be willing to underwrite Covid Cover if an additional supplement is paid. Much as the supplement for over 75 yr old cover or extended trips. I believe this is available now in the US. 

49 minutes ago, lienf said:

Correct. Traveling without covid coverage will keep many people at home, not just going on a cruise, but many other travel options. 

We have a cruise from Southampton booked for next September. In this scenario not being allowed to board would result in....

- just a missed cruise but as we could simply drive home no further cost.

-free medical help if the raised temperature had indicated something nasty.

Of greater concern are the two following scenarios...

-getting ill ourselves on board and being offloaded to a port where, if our insurance did not cover covid, we could be responsible for medical costs and the cost of getting ourselves home.

-someone else on our ship having symptoms (or diagnosed) with covid and not being allowed to disembark...One would hope in this scenario they would return us to Southampton and trust us to drive home and self isolate.

Certainly lots of scenarios for us all to consider. 

Edited by chemmo

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

It actually does for anyone with a thyroid disorder which is not balanced.. overactive.. Mine is this way at the moment so as soon as I get in the heat my temp goes up. It is not as fast as I would like coming down

1 hour ago, bama4cruisin said:

... Part of the issue is with the non-contact thermometers that read your temp off your forehead from an inch away, they pick up ambient heat from your skin.

It is important to understand what exactly is being measured. For the commonly-employed temperature scanners, they measure (as you correctly point out) surface temperature, in this case, that of one's skin. A scanner reading 100.5 degrees F does not mean that one's body temperature is 100.5 degrees F. As warm-blooded creatures, we regulate our body temperature by radiant surface emission of excess heat. The scanner-type thermometer does not actually measure body temperature, but under most conditions, it does give a reasonable approximation.

Having said that, if I have to get a fever check in a public place, I would still much prefer the scanner over a rectal thermometer, which is definitely more accurate.

Not to mention the cleaning issues with one of those...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sandancer said:

They are refused boarding despite having no other symptoms. Travel insurance is not valid for Covid 19 problems. 

I higher than normal temperature could indicate any number of conditions, or nothing.  I'm not sure an insurance company could make the leap that a raised temp is automatically Covid 19 related and deny coverage.  

Just now, Roz said:

I higher than normal temperature could indicate any number of conditions, or nothing.  I'm not sure an insurance company could make the leap that a raised temp is automatically Covid 19 related and deny coverage.  

I think this thread has touched on a couple of independent issues.  1) Failing a health screening at embarkation and 2) The risk of sailing (or traveling in general) if travel insurance doesn't cover covid-19 treatment.   I don't think anybody was saying that failing a temperature screen would keep an insurance policy from covering due to covid-19.   I'd expect it would have to be a positive covid-19 test which would invalidate medical coverage.

• Like 2

When a passenger arrives at the port they are given a temperature check. If they fail it, they are allowed to sit for a few minutes and have the procedure repeated. If denied boarding for failing the temperature checks, they will receive a full refund.

Edited by C-Dragons

46 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

When a passenger arrives at the port they are given a temperature check. If they fail it, they are allowed to sit for a few minutes and have the procedure repeated. If denied boarding for failing the temperature checks, they will receive a full refund.

This is all good to know. Would appreciate it if you cite your source.

2 hours ago, mom says said:

This is all good to know. Would appreciate it if you cite your source.

Some airlines are adopting the same policy.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/06/coronavirus-royal-caribbean-carnival-celebrity-cruises-guidelines-precautions/4973806002/

Edited by C-Dragons

Last Sunday i was in the sun for a few hours and got a bit burned around the forehead and temples.

At the hospital entrance the next dat, I registered 99.8 degs and was not let in for an appointment.

They told me sit in the shade and cool down for 20 mins.  I did and still was over the limit.

i asked them to get an oral digital thermometer and after 15 mins a nurse came back and took my temp via the mouth and it was 98.5 degs and I was let in.  A huge waste of my time knowing I was feeling perfect.

So, the way temps are measured may not be that accurate and hopefully if someone exceeds the parameters at the airport or cruise ship terminal there is a secondary oral temp check.

I don't think we know what their actual policies will be until they start sailing (the article above was from March before they stopped cruises).  Temperature screenings are a bit theater ("we're doing something!") and a bit preliminary screening.  When they're talking about not letting you on the ship, there will have to be secondary screenings.  I cannot imagine that they wouldn't refund the fare paid simply to guarantee that people will be more forthright when they're feeling sick if they know they won't also lose their money. 

A few other considerations, though: is it the one person who gets denied boarding who gets refunded?  Or the entire traveling party?  What if it's more than one cabin?  Will these temp screenings happen only on the first day or every time you come back from port?  If the latter, what happens when you're denied entry back onto the ship (and who pays?)

Finally, even with a refund of your fare, that doesn't get you a place to stay for the night or change fees to return home if you're flying.  Will that be part of the deal?  On the one hand, I would normally say "no."   On the other, they are the ones with the biggest incentive to keep sick people off their ships.

Edited by bEwAbG