The Daily for Thursday Oct 15, 2020

richwmn

today is White Cane Safety Day, Global Handwashing Day, and Breast Health Day

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
        -- H. L. Mencken

Meal suggestion for today - Black Bean Soup

Drink of the Day - Long Island Iced Tea

Wine of the day - Revana Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley vintage 2014

Balboa Anchorage
Koningsdam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Caracas Bay
Oosterdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Southampton
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay GB
Volendam
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam

1015World.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Daily Rich.  Something I have learned during the Covid pandemic is that guide dogs have no sense of social distancing and I doubt if white canes do either so part of safety will be for those of us with sight to take care around the blind.  Handwashing day is particularly appropriate now and is maintaining breast health while getting to doctors is more complicated.  Oh, that quote is SO true.  Not a fan of black bean soup.  My alternate menu suggestion is Chilled 3-berry ministrone (is that what was pictured in the daily a couple days ago), Blackened Chicken Caesar Salad, and Peach Crisp as served on the Amsterdam October 15, 2017.

Today's care list:

Covid-free Mrs Vmax in surgery(possibly even in recovery now with the time difference)

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado Wildfires

Kazu’s sister, niece, and BIL

Debbie’s nephew and his girlfriend

Family and friends of Denise’s friend who died of cancer October 13

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome back smitty34877

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

StLouisCruisers on a road trip to visit aged mother

Fall colors

a quick condo sale for Overhead Fred

HorizonChaser1957's luggage arriving intact and in good shape

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Looks like this is a day of safety’s - white cane, hand washing and breast health.

All good safety measure but right now in 2020 I think every day is hand washing day 😉 

Love that quote by Mencken - ever so true.

Unlike myself, DH would love black bean soup.  I might make it for him - maybe 😉 

It’s garden clean up time 😞 and while it’s pretty desolate, there were a few surprises with a few stubborn bloomers despite the cold weather:

DB8B16AF-DE4D-4B13-BA40-C8AC8C83D61E.thumb.jpeg.2b9293979354b221ee43ac3a678904a6.jpeg

B76C6AA2-D4D5-446C-8D77-E79600DBC3DA.thumb.jpeg.451a75c9382cdadeb810078fde65036c.jpeg

And this one is trying to rebloom:

7C97B07E-2E60-4735-A764-A85E9CD16AA3.thumb.jpeg.d51776c4ff7207502de79701ae904f49.jpeg

@bennybear the chilies are back outside so hopefully I can get a few more over ripe for seeds & another harvest for DH 🤞 

I’ve brought in a piece of the two different diplandenias & mandevilla in hopes of saving them and rooting some cuttings.  I think sadly, I was too late bringing them but time will tell.

05D0B381-A6E4-40B1-9E54-F40B9F6377BD.thumb.jpeg.192948d3f46dc2b3acad52e553e36e54.jpeg

Prayers to everyone on Roy’s care list & for those that need them and a tip of the hat to everyone we are celebrating.

Have a great Thursday, everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 16

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Some serious Days to celebrate today. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Roy, thank you for keeping our lists.

Love the quote.  I will pass on the drink. I will save the meal for a chilly Fall or Winter day. It is another beautiful morning here in the neighborhood.

Prayers to those who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

@Horizon chaser 1957, Laura - I agree with Jacqui- @kazu, you need to give a tutorial on how to pack for a World Cruise for 2 people with 4 pieces of luggage. A YouTube video would be perfect!

Stay well everyone!

This Napa Cab has outstanding ratings. I found one site still selling it for a whopping$159.99. It does sound nice, but not at that price.

#93 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017

The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon delivers initial impressions of eucalyptus and floral components, reminiscent of lilac and rose hips. Hints of black olive and deep plum round out the bouquet. The generous mouthfeel on the palate reveals deep blue fruit and toasted brioche, giving way to layers of toffee, baking chocolate and clove accenting the lush, lingering finish.

WS96 Wine Spectator
A thrilling effort, from the opening vanilla bean scents to the pure, rich and deep core of blackberry, currant and black licorice flavors. This folds in espresso and cedar notes amid a long, persistent finish. Best from 2019 through 2038.
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich. Thank you for our Daily. You sure are faithful to us and I appreciate it.

Jacqui, the mandevilla is exactly what I have in 2 big pots. They are still blooming and beautiful. I am going to try to save them through the winter.

Good morning sisters. Thinking of you both and love you to pieces. Thanks for the wine review, don't need to repeat a no..

Please remember breast awareness month. Get your mammogram and wear your mask.

image.jpeg.03b72c800e128d9ab6af8357be2841a1.jpeg

Thanks Roy, summer, and Jacqui for your additions.

Roy you did well on your dinner meal last night. Looks like it turned out well. Prayers for all on your list. Will hope to hear how Mrs VMax is doing. God bless.

Everyone have a great day. Call a friend, send a card. Be kind.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

The next 2 sunrises are from my 2015 QM2 crossing enroute to the Allure of the Seas.  This is October 15:

dawn1015.jpg

Roy

PS: I know Denise has been following my 2003 so I'll hold off on that until she returns to Cruise Critic.

• Like 21

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Covid-free Mrs Vmax in surgery(possibly even in recovery now with the time difference)

Indeed she is!  Moved into Recovery at about 12 noon local (7am ET). Due to Covid, no visiting is permitted, however the sugeon called me to say that all went to plan and she would be moved from Recovery in the next few minutes. 👍

Thanks everyone for the prayers and thoughts.

Global Handwashing Day is so relevant in these times, I wonder is there a Global Mask Wearing Day???

Breast Health Day is specially significant to us.  Girls, get 'em checked! 

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 22

Good morning all on wet and dull day in Southern Ontario.  As others have said, some serious celebrating today.  I think we will pass on the black bean soup, but I will put the drink of the day on my “to drink on the next cruise list“.  (A year from now 🤞).  Thanks to all the contributors on this thread, a happy place during these uncertain times.  My best to all.

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Indeed she is!  Moved into Recovery at about 12 noon local (7am ET). Due to Covid, no visiting is permitted, however the sugeon called me to say that all went to plan and she would be moved from Recovery in the next few minutes. 👍

Thanks everyone for the prayers and thoughts.

Global Handwashing Day is so relevant in these times, I wonder is there a Global Mask Wearing Day???

Breast Health Day is specially significant to us.  Girls, get 'em checked! 

THANK YOU for letting us know.

Roy

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Indeed she is!  Moved into Recovery at about 12 noon local (7am ET). Due to Covid, no visiting is permitted, however the sugeon called me to say that all went to plan and she would be moved from Recovery in the next few minutes. 

Wonderful news. May subsequent reports be as good.

• Like 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  It's unusual for us to see anyone with a white cane, but it's nice to know they have a special day for them.  At our house every day is handwashing day, particularly in these times.  @VMax1700  Breast Health Day isn't only for the ladies - we know two men who have been diagnosed and successfully treated for breast cancer, so ladies and gentlemen, check yourselves!

Neither DH nor I are a fan of black bean soup, so that one will be off the table (so to speak) for us.  I do like the alternative suggested by Roy - in fact, I'd love to have that for our dinner tonight, but it seems that we'll be having leftovers brought home from our evening at Olive Garden last night.  I ordered the Seafood Alfredo, while DH had Steak Alfredo - both came out in huge portions after we'd enjoyed a couple of plates of salad, so there's only re-heating tonight, not cooking.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll raise our glasses for all on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 11

Thank  you  for    the  nice  "welcome  back" Roy.  My  posting  is  limited  in   nature , as  I  find  myself  struggling  to  retain  my   former  level  of  optimism.  I  am  trying  to  be  upbeat  and cheerful   and  this  thread  helps. I  love  black  bean  soup but  it is  not   a  hit  with   the  husband. Even  when  I  make  half  a  recipe, I  eat it  for  days   and  days.

• Like 11

Happy Thursday Rich, Roy, and all the dailyites.

I totally agree with Roy on being aware of the guide dogs and white canes.  Especially now.  Handwashing, yep, all day everyday.  And I had my mammo in August so I'm set for another year.  I hope everyone is diligent about thtat.

Will pass on the meal, not sure what dinner will be tonight.

Long Island Tea:

Original recipe yields 1 servings
Ingredient Checklist
½ fluid ounce vodka
½ fluid ounce rum
½ fluid ounce gin
½ fluid ounce tequila
½ fluid ounce triple sec (orange-flavored liqueur)
1 fluid ounce sweet and sour mix
1 fluid ounce cola, or to taste
1 lemon slice
Directions
Instructions Checklist
Step 1 Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour vodka, rum, gin, tequila, triple sec, and sour mix over ice; cover and shake. Pour cocktail into a Collins or hurricane glass; top with splash of cola for color. Garnish with a lemon slice.

Stay safe, social distance, and please please please wear your mask.

• Like 8

We boiled up a leftover ham bone the other day and tonight it will become split pea soup (thoughts of the Grand Dutch Cafe)! 

Here are some Ontario Fall color hints from early October, 2013.

Looking downstream at the Trent-Severn Waterway in the North end of Deer Bay Lake -

image.thumb.png.2b4da866730fc5242f67a706e387d4e9.png

And at Bay View Resort on Deer Bay-

image.thumb.png.d37160ea58952740426df5340a4415a4.png

• Like 15

Good morning all!  Thanks Rich, Roy and all who contribute!

@kazu I’ll hope your peppers ripen, thanks for remembering.  How are you doing with the shingles?  Hope your sister is improving! 

@VMax1700hoping and praying your DW heals quickly!  It’s not fun having surgery any time but this year it sure adds another layer!  

Thanks for the wishes for me to keep the s word  to myself.  Well we had 5 cm yesterday which is gone today so we will scurry around putting the garden to bed today as 10 cm are predicted tomorrow!  Good thing we put the s word tires on yesterday 🤷‍♀️

• Like 12

Good morning all!  Great collection of days.  Thanks for the reminder, I'm a couple months overdue for my mammogram -- have been putting it off because of Covid (as we ladies know, the tech has to get right up in our faces) but I do know they do it safely and I'm going to get that appointment made.  

Not a fan of black bean soup, and like Joy, I'm a white wine gal so will pass on the wine again...

A very welcome dry day here, yay!!  Out to the garden.  I see that my rose bushes are still getting buds, crazy roses!  

Here's a photo of the wake from our cabin on the Nieuw Statendam a year ago.  We were somewhere near Florence.

Wake view from our cabin.jpg

• Like 13

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks to Rich and Roy for the Daily get together.

We're happy and relieved that all went well with Mrs, VMax, and hope recovery is speedy!

A year ago today we were winging our way toward Rome to meet up with Koningsdam.  I watched this screen for most of the overnight flight, (I do not sleep on flights, I have to help supervise the pilot)...IMG_1388.thumb.jpeg.88f3c780a89b9cb8081b6b26359f030a.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

today is White Cane Safety Day, Global Handwashing Day..........................

Make washing your hands more exciting by pretending they are two giant octopuses wrestling each other while you sing happy birthday to them

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

Good morning, all!

Globl Handwashing Day is appropriate due to Covid, getting grapes ready to dehydrate into raisins, and stripping leaves off wind fall sweet gum branches to store for printing in winter.

@cat shepard and @kazu, brief version, the packing ( which took weeks) center Ed around layers and a new Gala plan. I took a pair of swishy, pleated palazzo pants and three light Gala tops. As we went, I bought new Gala tops as both wardrobe additions and pretty souvenirs. Unfortunately, David made use of the space I saved to pack three full suits, his tuxedo, and all the accessories for all the above. He easily had twice the luggage I did!😄

@Overhead Fred, I love the split pea soup idea! I can take a mug full out on the deck in the cold while wearing a HAL Alaska parka and imagine the mountains are passing, not stationary.

I found this while unpacking my GWV luggage.

Despite it’s bold claims, I’m afraid this pamphlet did NOT adequately prepare me for the 2020 experience!😉

65F0A059-667F-4B5D-937B-C3FF58005B55.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 14
  • Haha 1