If the rumours are true that Celebrity will become an all inclusive cruiseline...

Quo Vadis?

This might be a good move for them overall. Lots of resorts already do this sort of thing.

Yes there are some of us with loyalty perks, but I think the cruise lines are getting killed from to many Elites and Diamonds on cruises so this might be a way they could transition.

I don't know anyone who cruises just to accumulate the loyalty points.  I know people who use the perks, but if the prices are not jacked too much then there wouldn't be a big differnce.

I don’t think we will see Celebrity deviate from their current 3 tier pricing strategy any time soon. Base price (sometimes with 1 perk sometimes no perk), mid price with two perks of choice (sometime with a 3rd perk added) and top tier with all 4 perks including the upgrade on the beverage package (classic to premium) Suites automatically get all perks (unless you get a senior or resident discount that forfeits any and all perks on all categories).  They are in direct competition with Carnival, NCL, sister line Royal, Princess, Holland America, MSC, Costa, etc. Could they streamline like Princess and have an “all inclusive” rate and a room only rate?  Possibly, but I doubt it as the current pricing strategy seems to be working for them. 

IF Celebrity went 100% “all-inclusive” with inclusions that devalue some loyalty perks (Elite happy hour or Internet minutes for example) there is still room for them to modify the program to give recognition to past guests. Tiered discounts off cruise fare by loyalty level & room type (Royal already do this with the Crown&Anchor program), additional “free” items (laundry, specialty dining, etc) and the list goes on. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, tserface said:

This might be a good move for them overall. Lots of resorts already do this sort of thing.

Yes there are some of us with loyalty perks, but I think the cruise lines are getting killed from to many Elites and Diamonds on cruises so this might be a way they could transition.

I don't know anyone who cruises just to accumulate the loyalty points.  I know people who use the perks, but if the prices are not jacked too much then there wouldn't be a big differnce.

With so many people purchasing beverage packages these days, as well as internet packages, I honestly doubt that the cruise lines are getting killed from having too many Elite and higher.  Those are really the only perks that matter much.  The one level cabin upgrade rarely means much difference in the way of $$, nor do the minor discounts on specialty dinners as you can almost always negotiate lower rates anyway.  The laundry is nice, but honestly until I got that perk free I would just bring more clothes as I suspect many did, or wash out "unmentionables" by hand. 

Based on comments on these boards, I think actually that a number of people choose certain cabin categories to achieve Elite or higher sooner.  I don't think they cruise just for that purpose, but it may impact their cabin choice.  

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course.  I personally don't think it is a good thing.  Not everyone purchases all four perks all the time.  This would scare away a good number of customers who don't want to pay for 4 perks when they would only purchase 2 or maybe even none.  What I wish they would do is just come up with some kind of menu pricing strategy and then stop messing with it constantly.  It is a pain in the keister to constantly be trying to calculate which deal is the best this week or next.  They could still run 'sales' or other promotions if they want, maybe just reducing prices 20% for a period of time, or throwing in a specialty dinner or shore excursion.  Their pricing model drives me crazy.

17 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

With so many people purchasing beverage packages these days, as well as internet packages, I honestly doubt that the cruise lines are getting killed from having too many Elite and higher.  Those are really the only perks that matter much.  The one level cabin upgrade rarely means much difference in the way of $$, nor do the minor discounts on specialty dinners as you can almost always negotiate lower rates anyway.  The laundry is nice, but honestly until I got that perk free I would just bring more clothes as I suspect many did, or wash out "unmentionables" by hand. 

Based on comments on these boards, I think actually that a number of people choose certain cabin categories to achieve Elite or higher sooner.  I don't think they cruise just for that purpose, but it may impact their cabin choice.  

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course.  I personally don't think it is a good thing.  Not everyone purchases all four perks all the time.  This would scare away a good number of customers who don't want to pay for 4 perks when they would only purchase 2 or maybe even none.  What I wish they would do is just come up with some kind of menu pricing strategy and then stop messing with it constantly.  It is a pain in the keister to constantly be trying to calculate which deal is the best this week or next.  They could still run 'sales' or other promotions if they want, maybe just reducing prices 20% for a period of time, or throwing in a specialty dinner or shore excursion.  Their pricing model drives me crazy.

your pont is very well stated.  The four perks def work for me, won't for all which is why X needs to consider seriously any changes,

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Do you know this for a fact?  I thought Arno was the top Zenith member.  Haven't heard from him in ages.  I know on several Celebrity Facebook pages he has recently changed his name to his full name (speaking of Arno).  I am assuming Argo is someone different, or is he?

It would be nice if after posting such speculation of such a significant change, that Argo would come back to the thread and give us a hint where he heard these rumors and is the source reputable or the usual drivel.  I feel like we are being toyed with and I don't like that - we need to stick together as Celebrity fans these days and not taunt each other.

I do.

9 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Do you know this for a fact?  I thought Arno was the top Zenith member.  Haven't heard from him in ages.  I know on several Celebrity Facebook pages he has recently changed his name to his full name (speaking of Arno).  I am assuming Argo is someone different, or is he?

I do.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, travelwide said:

Is Arno the same person as Argo.?

Simple question needs a simple answer. If no, where has Arno. been on these boards?

Those of us who know the answer, know the answer.  Not up to us to reveal it.  If Argo and/or Arno wants you to know, it will surely be revealed to you at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Those of us who know the answer, know the answer.  Not up to us to reveal it.  If Argo and/or Arno wants you to know, it will surely be revealed to you at some point.

But of course he already did.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I don’t think we will see Celebrity deviate from their current 3 tier pricing strategy any time soon. Base price (sometimes with 1 perk sometimes no perk), mid price with two perks of choice (sometime with a 3rd perk added) and top tier with all 4 perks including the upgrade on the beverage package (classic to premium)

This pricing is seldom available in UK.

A deposit is never refundable.

The best I have seen is the addition of a Classic drinks package, although the last cruise I booked included gratuities, which brought us in line with cruises booked in Australia.

Sadly that cruise was cancelled, as it should have sailed on 1st August 2020.

11 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Don't forget the Priority Tendering for Elites and above.  Depending on the itinerary, that's a valuable perk for me.  Even though we've had the beverage package on our last few cruises, we still enjoy going to the Sky Lounge for a drink before dinner. The lack of a Sky Lounge on the newer ships is a major disappointment for us.

The best program all around was the " good better best " or whatever it was called..one could pick no perks or more than one to suit their needs and  it was easier to compare pricing,  we usually took the 2 perks..as others are part of the Elite + perks and not needed.

Shortly after they scrapped that program,  there were diff plans..fairly  erratic, ever changing  and  frustrating. 

• Like 4

On 10/20/2020 at 10:18 AM, Argo. said:

All of this speculation of getting points to reach a certain level may soon become meaningless. If the rumours are true that Celebrity will become an all inclusive cruiseline the perks are included in the fare, which I am sure will be substantially higher than now.  

Argo you devil.  You threw this rumor (US -English spelling)  thread over the fence several days ago and I imagine you are just sitting back with a smirk on your face!😊

• Like 3

On 10/21/2020 at 10:07 AM, twangster said:

With Celebrity and Azamara combining their loyalty programs and now that SilverSea has been 100% acquired it's left me wondering how they are going to market Celebrity versus Azamara. 

Now that SilverSea is the luxury brand within the Royal Caribbean Group where does that leave Azamara?  The SilverSea Venetian Society loyalty program is absent of the perks and benefits and remains stand alone, no status recognition from the other brands.  With AI luxury cruising, loyalty perks and benefits take on a different meaning (have little value).

Will RCG merge Celebrity with Azamara?  Is that where this rumor is going?

Azamara is a premium line, like Oceania. Not a true luxury line.

Also I seriously doubt there would be any plans to merge Celebrity and Azamara -- they are two entirely different products. 

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Also I seriously doubt there would be any plans to merge Celebrity and Azamara -- they are two entirely different products. 

Totally agree.  Although we sail both, as do others, overall there is a difference in overall demographics.

No reason to combine at all.

10 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

What is Celebrity then if not a premium brand?

I don't disagree with you, just curious how do they position Celebrity.  We all know what the experience is but how do they market Celebrity to the general public who hasn't cruised?

RCI - mass market entry level

Celebrity  - better than mass market but not premium

Azamara - Premium

SilverSea - Luxury

• Like 1

13 hours ago, travelwide said:

I didn't realize we are in 4th grade..."I know something you don't know." 

What's the big deal? Arno and his wife are a lovely couple and I was hoping they are well. 

Not an issue of being in 4th grade.  It's an issue of personal privacy.  The owner of the screen name gets to say, not the rest of us.

• Like 2

TommyD3 already indicated the souce, but let me try to clarify. Arno, the OP is not the original source of the rumor. he is the Administrator of a FB page for Zeniths. One Zenith, who is also a TA and usually very reliable was the source of the report.

34 minutes ago, Orator said:

TommyD3 already indicated the souce, but let me try to clarify. Arno, the OP is not the original source of the rumor. he is the Administrator of a FB page for Zeniths. One Zenith, who is also a TA and usually very reliable was the source of the report.

Freudian slip, eh?

6 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Don't forget the Priority Tendering for Elites and above.  Depending on the itinerary, that's a valuable perk for me.  Even though we've had the beverage package on our last few cruises, we still enjoy going to the Sky Lounge for a drink before dinner. The lack of a Sky Lounge on the newer ships is a major disappointment for us.

You're right - I forgot about that one.  I usually don't sail cruises where it matters.  But when we did a west coast US awhile ago it came in very handy as we had 4 or 5 tender ports.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

What is Celebrity then if not a premium brand?

I don't disagree with you, just curious how do they position Celebrity.  We all know what the experience is but how do they market Celebrity to the general public who hasn't cruised?

RCI - mass market entry level

Celebrity  - better than mass market but not premium

Azamara - Premium

SilverSea - Luxury

That's more or less how I'd stratify it, though I may call Celebrity "upper-end" or "superior" mass market. All the various cruise ship reviewers have their own vocabulary. To be fair, before the onset of lines like Oceania and Azamara, you would see some reviewers calling Celebrity, HAL and Cunard "premium". Still, it was more an acknowledgement that they are upper-level mass market.

Look at Carnival Corp, which often has multiple brands in its various slots -- some of which are even harder to quantify. Just looking at the ones that sail primarily from the US:

Carnival:  Entry-level mass market

Princess, HAL:  Superior level mass market

?? :  Premium

Seabourn:  Luxury

Of course Carnival has gone the route of having more geographic brands like AIDA, Costa, P&O Australia and the like....