Proof of Vax or Not. Would you cruise

Would you Cruise  

373 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise if proof of Vax was not required

• Yes
    • No

So there’s been a lot of threads circling the subject of Florida, but let me ask more generically, would you cruise if the cruise line did not require proof of vaccination

It’s a highly charged issue but let’s try to be civil

Personally I don’t think I would .  Not because of the fear of getting Covid (since I’m vaxed), but potentially being stranded on the ship if it gets quarantined.

Thoughts?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

You should add to the question a time period. Would I cruise with those without a vax, yes. It might be five years from now. If cruising were to resume within six months, the answer might be different for a short period of time.

• Like 2

Easy answer because I've been vaccinated so yes, although I would be concerned about a premature end to the cruise. Hopefully, cruise lines will maintain the trip though and just have arrangements for debarking seriously ill passengers at the nearest/next port and quarantining others that test positive to their rooms.  

• Like 3

I would cruise no matter if the ship required a vax or not. I am vaxed, but even if I wasn't, I would still cruise. 

Since there are no definitions of thresholds set to cause a ship to be quarantined, sent home, or whatever, I can't be concerned about that. If there were definite metrics defined, then I would take those metrics into consideration. But since there are none.............oh well.  

• Like 2

I said we would not cruise without proof of vaccinations, but how would they verify that you have been vaccinated. As has been said, the CDC card would be too easy to forge.

My DW received an e-mail from her school district. She may have been exposed to Covid from another staff member. She might have to quarantine. She will receive a call from the NY State Health Department. She got the call today, and gave them the information from the card. That should exempt her from having to quarantine since it now the position of the CDC that those having had their vaccinations do not need to quarantine. Their response was they would get back to her tomorrow after verifying her vaccination information.

Now if a state health department needs a day to verify, how is a cruise line supposed to verify thousands at embarkation?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Now if a state health department needs a day to verify, how is a cruise line supposed to verify thousands at embarkation?

Theoretically because private industry is much more efficient than government.   But they would have to be given access to the records.  Which will not happen.  They will have to rely on info provided by the passengers.  I would not worry too much about forged vaccine cards. Most people don't care to engage in criminal activity.  And those who do open themselves up to civil and criminal prosecution.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

So there’s been a lot of threads circling the subject of Florida, but let me ask more generically, would you cruise if the cruise line did not require proof of vaccination

It’s a highly charged issue but let’s try to be civil

Personally I don’t think I would .  Not because of the fear of getting Covid (since I’m vaxed), but potentially being stranded on the ship if it gets quarantined.

Thoughts?

I would cruise because DW and I are vaccinated. That we might get stranded on the ship or having an itinerary changed is a likelihood at anytime and I don't think that COVID changes those numbers enough to that concerned about it (presupposing that we reduce cases to an endemic level of course).

• Like 3

The choices are a little too binary for me as there is another safe option. Sure, I'd love to have 100% of society vaccinated but since that isn't happening, a third option would be vaccinated + requiring unvaccinated to have multiple negative covid tests prior to boarding. For safety also limit unvaccinated getting onboard to relatively isolated Carnival run shore excursions only. Listen if unvaccinated can pass 2-3 covid tests before boarding and understand shore excursions will be more limited for them, then I have zero problem cruising with them. Most of the irresponsible people running around acting like the virus is a hoax that would concern me, will never complete multiple tests or accept limited shore excursions, hence the unvaccinated that can do all of these tests, accept restrictions are likely more responsible individuals that I don't fear.

Edited by embarkation75
  • Like 5

To me anyone who booked during covid is saying they feel ok about cruising. We didnt know protocols when we booked and dont know them now. I got 11 booked, so obviously I will deal with whatever the cruiselines come up with. Perhaps I spend more time alone, or in my cabin, but whatever is required that's what I'll do. And yes I'm vaccinated.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, embarkation75 said:

The choices are a little too binary for me as there is another safe option. Sure, I'd love to have 100% of society vaccinated but since that isn't happening, a third option would be vaccinated + requiring unvaccinated to have multiple negative covid tests prior to boarding. For safety also limit unvaccinated getting onboard to relatively isolated Carnival run shore excursions only. Listen if unvaccinated can pass 2-3 covid tests before boarding and understand shore excursions will be more limited for them, then I have zero problem cruising with them.

The entirety of society is not likely planning on taking a cruise.  So, those who do want to take a cruise should ensure they’re in the 60-70% of society that does get fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

The entirety of society is not likely planning on taking a cruise.  So, those who do want to take a cruise should ensure they’re in the 60-70% of society that does get fully vaccinated.

I get it as I suspect most cruiselines will select the vaccinated only option anyway, not because they couldn't mandate testing for unvaccinated, but rather some ports could say they can't go there without it. Add in the expense and time to run unvaccinted folks through the gauntlet  of tests and potential to lose more vaccinated folks uncomfortable cruising with unvaccinated and it won't be worth the cost of of trying to keep unvaccinated on cruises.

Edited by embarkation75
  • Like 2

I voted no.  I am fully vaccinated as are all family members who might sail with me.

I believe we are protected from Covid.  I want to be protected from threat of a shortened cruise and threat of quarantine if other cruisers are or become infected.

After a year of partial isolation and always wearing a mask in public, I won't pay to have those same conditions on a cruise.

• Like 2

I believe that whether cruise ships required vaxes or not, the majority of pax would be vaxed, or tested.So, it really shouldn't be such a big deal. 

How many ppl died from Walmart? They have never been shut down, and for all of 2020 there were no vaxes either. Just saying...........

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

I believe that whether cruise ships required vaxes or not, the majority of pax would be vaxed, or tested.So, it really shouldn't be such a big deal. 

until there is an outbreak and the cruise ends.

5 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

How many ppl died from Walmart? They have never been shut down, and for all of 2020 there were no vaxes either. Just saying...........

Early on they had limited hours and required masks. I forget what else. Now that vaccines and tests are available it is one of the locations you can go.

How many people? No telling, but I bet some. What is the correct answer?

• Like 1

We are both vaccinated but aren't about to step on a cruise ship until cruising gets back to the way it was before this pandemic hit.  

If the rumors are true about all of the restrictions placed while on a cruise, it's not worth it to us.  We'll wait until we can go on a cruise and enjoy ourselves to come and go as we please. 

At this point, they can't even tell us how long the vaccine will last.  

We are fully vaccinated.  We are looking forward to cruising again.  We have discussed (endlessly) the prospect of cruising and what restrictions might be in place.

Personally, I cannot see the cruise lines starting back up without requiring full vaccinations for all.  

#1. who wants to wear a mask on a cruise?  NO ONE

#2. what port is going to want unvaccinated visitors?  NONE

#3. who wants to be stuck on a ship that has an outbreak? NO ONE

#4. who wants to argue the vax/non-vax with fellow passengers?  NOT ME

I'm not saying everyone HAS to get vaccinated, but those who choose not to get the vaccine can stay on land.....there's a difference between RULES and DISCRIMINATION.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3