Scared off by HBO's Last Cruise

We would watch the movie Contagion, released in 2011, which was about COVID, with The Last Cruise and Titanic as a triple feature. It is astounding how close the fictional 2011 movie was to the real life COVID pandemic. 

• Like 2

We were on Majesty, and it was about the third day of the cruise that we heard about the quarantine of Diamond Princess. It seemed like Covid was so far away in Japan. 

And then we flew home, to San Francisco. New Orleans had a huge outbreak at Mardi Gras after we left. And we watched the whole drama with the Grand Princess disembarking passengers from all over at our local Port of Oakland cargo port on live TV. :classic_biggrin: We were fascinated. 

It was quite interesting to watch the development of the pandemic everywhere. But things have totally changed since that early time in the outbreak. 

We are vaccinated, and not very much worried about it anymore. We are ready to get back to cruising and doing things we enjoy. :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, loman said:

Just watched the Poseidon Adventure on netflix , scared me too  .

Titantic and aeroplane were the ones that got me........

I understand people are scared but you got to take it into context. Vaccine across the world is ramping up, better testing and treatments being offered and people are now more "aware" of covid. 

Everyone will need to do a self risk assessment and decide if a cruise or sitting in a plane is for them.....

13 hours ago, dswallow said:

"The Poseidon Adventure" is a better watch before a cruise, anyway.

The original one.

In 2006 Princess featured the Poseidon Adventure, Titanic and Jaws on M.U.T.S. on Caribbean Princess.  I watched everyone of them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Caps_Shield said:

Saw the doc this weekend and now I'm terrified to cruise this Christmas on the Independence.  It really did a number on me.  I forgot how many people are squeezed into one small location on a ship.  Covid is still here and we do not just cruise with US people, there is a possibility of overseas guests.   I never was on the side of only those with vaccines get to cruise but I think I am now.   That was terrifying.  Who knows how many people were tested on that ship and they still had almost 700 people catch it. I am vaccinated so I guess I'll be OK but my whole traveling party & kids under 16...man it's something to think about.  

Don't watch Smithsonian channel "Air Disaster" series and guaranteed you'll never fly again.😀

I believe in faith and there's a number assigned and when it's called, I pray that I go peacefully.  Sorry, if it sounds morbid.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Midway7934 said:

JABTPS.......I was on the Anthem at the time that doc was filming.  It was the very beginning (February 2020).  When I watched it I had no idea what was going on in the rest of the world. Our cruise left out of Bayonne and was suppose to go on a 9 day cruise to the Bahamas. When we arrived we were told we couldn't board because several Chinese passengers had gotten sick and needed to be "tested". It was my 50th anniversary cruise booked in a star class suite. Star class for the very first time!. My Genie kept in touch by cell phone.  She called 2 days later with news that the passengers tested negative. The captain and Royal kept everyone informed. Because of the delay, the captain got permission to sail to Bermuda. What started out like a nightmare turned into the most amazing trip ever. Bermuda was our honeymoon island. We had 2 days of 73  degree sunny weather. Royal then GAVE US OUR CRUISE FARE BACK, half directly to the credit card and half in an FCC. I have moved the FCC from this year to next. In my humble opinion, don't give up on cruising or even Royal Caribbean. 

I was on that cruise as well, one of the best yet, hope to go to Bermuda again.

Only 10 aboard Diamond Princess initially tested positive.  It was the lengthy quarantine aboard a ship with inadequate health protocols and recirculated air that ultimately drove the number of cases up close to 700.  Had passengers been disembarked and placed in isolation in Yokahama spread could have been drastically reduced.

• Like 1

If you’re afraid then it’s not time for you resume cruising.

I’m comfortable if the ship is fully vaccinated but otherwise no. That’s basically because I don’t want a sick ship or quarantined ship. And only in a balcony or better.

There were a lot of mistakes made on the Princess.  The staff in this case I think unknowingly spread this after the quarantine plus it takes 2 weeks for cases to show up.  Ship workers were afraid to speak up and continued to work!  Proper isolation procedures were not followed.  And Americans who were positive and not positive were put on the same plane back with only a plastic sheets between them. There was so much we didn’t know about covid a year ago. Japan did not handle it well because they didn’t know how or have the capability to isolate that many on shore. I don’t blame them for not wanting to spread it among their people.

Believe me, the ships don’t want this to happen again as it would be a PR nightmare.  I’m sure they are putting many safeguards in place plus education for workers.  

Again don’t go if you can’t relax and enjoy yourself. Save the cabins for the rest of us. And if you’re not vaccinated stay home. 

I love disaster movies!  

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

Don't watch Smithsonian channel "Air Disaster" series and guaranteed you'll never fly again.😀

Have you watched the TV show Disaster a Sea?  It’s interesting. 

As for Air Disasters, I liked watching this show.  It was informative, even if it mostly ended negatively.  Two of the most interesting successful ones were the Gimli Glider, where a large airplane glided and landed on a drag strip while out of fuel in Manitoba.

98F014C7-A989-4E5C-A8B3-9791C992B394.thumb.jpeg.00217e73170f26aabb2833a5751752c8.jpeg

The second one was when a plane landed on a levee near New Orleans. 

8E0D6B84-934D-4F99-9ECB-40D77D4FEC68.thumb.jpeg.17c7333f440b81e8143f082730862436.jpeg

Call out to the OP - we've had a lot of fun because of your post, but I think most people really are sympathetic to those who are apprehensive about cruising. Everyone has a different comfort level with the risks of life.

Stop back and let us know what you decide  to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1