The Daily for Wednesday May 19, 2021

richwmn

Today is Boy's Club Day, World Plant a Vegetable Garden Day, and World Family Doctor Day

"A man sooner or later discovers that he is the master-gardener of his soul, the director of his life. - James Allen"

Meal suggestion for today - Slow Cooker Chili

Drink of the Day - Champagne Margaritas

Wine of the day - Chageau Giscoura - France

Port of the Day - Reykjavik Iceland

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam Destination Great Stirrup Cay eta today

At Sea Mediterranian Sea
Eurodam Destination Augusta IT eta 5/22

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Diego eta 5/19
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Los Angeles eta today
Noordam Drifting off Long Beach

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Oosterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0519World.thumb.png.35caa4f276e746f4efca2989d24cb246.png

• Like 36
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I will be out in my veggie garden today.  It may be a little early here to plant too much, but we've got a beautiful sunny day in the forecast, so I hope I don't get carried away.

Great quote.

Interesting meal suggestion.  I love using the slow cooker, but not sure chili is what we will have tonight.

The drink of the day sounds great.  Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Hope there are lots of pictures of Reykjavik.

Saying prayers for everyone.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Good morning and thanks for the daily report.  We have Boys & Girls Club Boston so cheers to them, today’s weather would be perfect for vegetable gardening, family doctors are important.  The quote is great hopefully sooner than later for everyone.  The  meal sounds great, as a matter of fact, I’m having chili for lunch. Would love to visit Reykjavik someday.  Prayers to those Dailyites in need and a toast to those with celebrations. 🍾

Edited by Mr. Boston
  • Like 22

Good morning, everyone.    

It looks like another great day here in northeast Ohio.  The sun is shining brightly and it is supposed to hit the low 80s today.   Time to throw open the windows and enjoy the fresh air in the house.  I love when I can do that.  

Nothing on tap today except the pool and the grocery store.  I guess I could clean bathrooms, but what fun is that?

@NextOne Great news on your DH moving to rehab.  One step closer!  I know he must be happy for that.   

@Norseh2o Happy Anniversary!  What a trip you're taking. 

@JazzyV I'm glad you are on the upswing.   Don't try to do too much and let the healing continue.

@rafinmd Happy for your continued good progress.  Keep it up!  

@kazu  Thanks for all the work during Roy's medical "leave".    I think I am safely past my credit card fraud.  The new card has been authorized and the old account shut down.   I am not responsible for any of the false charges, so all is well in my corner.  Thank you for including me on the care list.  I think I can safely come off.  

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad your fraud case is coming to a close and happily for you.   There has been a rash of that lately.   The call I am getting now is that if I don't sign up for some medical screening, Medicare will declare ineligible for coverage.  Right.

Today's meal is one I love on a cool day in the fall or a winter's day.   Today will be for grilling out, though.   The recipe sounds like a good one to keep for the right day.

https://damndelicious.net/2019/04/03/easy-slow-cooker-chili/

Easy-Slow-Cooker-ChiliIMG_9064.jpg

Easy-Slow-Cooker-ChiliIMG_9071.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I was on the board of the Boys and Girls Club for many years and will happily celebrate the day.  Our doctors are so very appreciated.  I’d like to say I’m celebrating Plant a Vegetable day with some already started but chilies are considered a fruit 😉. Assuming the frost warnings are gone, I’ll be starting my veggies outside on Victoria Day weekend (this weekend).

I’ve been delayed so much with the staining and painting.  Hopefully it is finished soon so I can move easier and faster to get things done outside. Yesterday’s rain is going to delay the completion. 😔 

Love the quote by Allen.  Meal suggestion is a good one for many but I am not a chili fan.  Intrigued by today’s drink and wine.

On my way back from the paint place I met up with a Canada Goose.  It decided I was too close and attacked.  Yes, they really do attack.

ED4FF218-BD67-4D81-AA8E-7D74AD9EE966.thumb.jpeg.e1328057d4795b7e882f8fdfb3324d4d.jpeg

@ger_77when I saw this I thought of you and your weather.

EF888597-DA4F-4B41-A403-6755C5EDF4C2.jpeg.3917cd8e0a289ce6f5a50891713e862b.jpeg

Today’s Care List:

Kakalina and prayers for possible surgery

Roy’s (rafinmd) continuing recovery from his cardiac surgery

Welfare of furloughed crews

Garlictown recovery from arm surgery

Dani Negreanu - CC poster in Israel facing the bomb strikes

StLouisCruisers’s DS surgery recovery & her DB facing surgery

57redbird’s DH’s recovery, ultrasound and she as caregiver

Hoping St. Louis Sal’s drug trial is a success

Today’s Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers & essential workers

Roy’s (rafinmd)  successful cardiac surgery

Quartzite Cruiser’s reunion with DD & DSIL

StLouisCruisers’ DGS first jab

Cruizin Terri’s Fed Ex issue resolved

Vict0riann’s DD scheduled for her first “jab”

Horizon Chaser 1957’s DH over the worst for dental work & BIL stabilized even though in ICU

dfish’s credit card fraud resolved

Vict0riann & ger_77’s provinces starting 2nd jabs

JazzyV’s recovery

Norseh2o 47th anniversary

NextOne’s DH move to rehab

Nieuw Statendam in Port Everglades May 18th

Koningsdam in San Diego May 19th

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain (I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Garden club enthusiasts - don’t forget to get your supports around your peonies and any tall / climbing plants that need them before it’s too late.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great hump day everyone!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Good morning from a bright and sunny Florida.  Never belonged to a "Club".  Will celebrate Vegetable Garden day as there are several stands around us in the summer and I enjoy the fruits of their labor.  Family doctors have had a hard year.  The Allen quote is great.  I'll pass on the meal, I make our chili in the pressure cooker.

Happy to see all the CC fraud problems are getting corrected.  How did the return trip to the paint store go @kazu

Major prayers for our Care list.  Happily toast 🍸 our long celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Champagne Margaritas:

4 T. fresh key lime juice (or regular limes are fine)
3 ounces tequila
3 ounces pineapple juice
2 ounces triple sec
1 (750 ml) bottle of champagne or prosecco for topping
lime wedges for garnish
kosher or sea salt for rimming the glasses.

Instructions
First rim your glasses by dipping the rim of each glass in a shallow dish of water and then into a shallow dish of kosher salt. You can also run a cut lime around the rim of the glass.
Mix all the tequila, pineapple juice and triple sec together for the margarita base and divide between 4 champagne flutes.
Top with the prosecco or champagne and garnish with a lime wedge.

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 7.34.33 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A great combo of days!

Jacqui, thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Roy, if I hadn’t been here last week, I would never have known you went through a major medical procedure! Another lovely day in the neighborhood, though Bindi and I experienced some localized early morning showers at the Eastern end of our street this morning. 

Pass on the meal du jour. I can attest to how great the drink is, and I have even customized it a bit by using Prosecco. And totally turned it into something else by replacing the lime juice with juice from my Meyer lemon tree. It was the hit of a farewell get together in the cul de sac. Maybe I will call it the Daily margarita.  I can not wait to see pictures of today’s port, along with whatever info you all want to share. I am almost afraid to type this, but it really appears that I will be going in July.  A country with fewer than 7,000 cases of the virus is letting people in. 🤔 

Well off to the audiologist and then Zumba - an interesting combo, right?

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This red blend from Bordeaux has spectacular ratings. The actual spelling is Giscours - not Giscoura, if you go looking for it. Lots of online distributors, but the older vintages are out of my budget range. I may search for the 2019 vintage locally, because this wine sounds amazing. 

Note: I found the 2019 vintage online for less than $50, but you might need to wait awhile to enjoy it. 
Winemaker Notes

This Classified Growth in 1855 is the first label of Château Giscours. It is of great finesse and elegance. Delicacy and power are combined in this flask to bring you the elegance expected of a great Margaux wine. The aging potential of this great wine is between 8 and 20 years or even more for the most exceptional vintages.

JS97 James Suckling: Black currant, dried-blueberry, oyster-shell, black-olive, black truffle, and bitter-chocolate aromas. It’s full-bodied with firm, fine-grained tannins and fresh acidity. Savory and mineral layers interplay with the black fruit. Powerful and chewy yet very polished and beautiful.. Try from 2024.

WE96 Wine Enthusiast: Always a significant wine, this latest release with powerful while also stylish black fruits fits into a well-regarded tradition. The density and broad fruitiness of the wine make fine foils for each other. It is firmly structured and set for aging. Drink this wine from 2027. Cellar Selection 
WS95 Wine Spectator: Very expressive, with violet and lilac notes followed by creamed plum and mulled blackberry and black currant fruit flavors. Subtle anise, juniper and sanguine notes thread the very long finish. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Petit Verdot. Best from 2024 through 2036.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Daily, Rich, and Kazu for covering the lists.  I'm not a gardener and was never around a Boys Club but very indebted to my primary Doctor.  (I see him tomorrow afternoon).  The quote is interesting.  I've been to Reykjavik several times, mostly Crystal but also on the Elegant Explorer.  I'll pass on the Chili.  My alternative is Papaya with Rainbow of Fruit, Turf from Surf and Turf, and Tiramisu as served on MS Veendam May 19,

papaya.jpg

Roy

• Like 36

@kazu I'd like to request an addition to the Celebration List.  Tomorrow afternoon my Grand Nephew Adam (Amanda's son) graduates from High School.  I hope to be watching his graduation streamed live.

Roy

• Like 28

Good morning Dailyites and my sweet sisters, Roy, Jacqui, and all who contribute. A special thanks to our Rich for holding us together. 

Ann, I like how you tweaked the drink of the day. We will try it. No on chili, thanks. So far I have planted cilantro, basil, and jalapeno peppers. 

image.png.174053b7cd77caf5b4c28e6b60df82d7.png

Today is Mahjongg class and I have an afternoon Social Club meeting. Planning on having left over soup, a salad and a glass of wine or 2. Thunderstorms later this evening.

I was reading my news feed and didn't know if anyone else saw this: Darwin’s Arch, one of the most photographed locations in the Galapagos Islands, crumbled into the Pacific Ocean due to erosion this week.

Prayers and Cheers. Have a great day!

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

Hello to all this beautiful sunny Wednesday morning!  Today we have a great group of Days to celebrate.  Boys Clubs, Plant a Vegetable Garden Day, and Family Doctor Day - nothing there we could argue against.  Speaking of gardens, thanks to @kazufor her latest garden club reminder.  Slow cooker chili sounds like an easy way to cook chili, but we always use an electric skillet.  Brown the ground round and add all the ingredients, keeping it at a slow simmer until done.  

For all on our care list, I pray for all to do well and for those on the celebration list I applaud all the achievements made.  My DGS is fine and "happy as Larry" as my British friends say, so he can go off the list.  His second Pfizer jab is in 2 1/2 weeks!  As for my DS we are hoping for good news on her by the weekend.  Yesterday my DB called DS and she said she was in too much pain to talk, and he relayed that message to twin and I.  So I contacted one of my nieces and she said the incision site where the docs had to go off script is a deep one so just like a major surgery she is in pain at that site.  But they are planning on sending her to a rehab facility by Friday so that is the good news.  Three weeks in the hospital!  No one ever predicted that!  I will keep you informed on her status so perhaps we can get her off the care list soon.  Thank you to all for your prayers.

Reykjavik is a fine city to visit and I'm happy to say it's on my agenda again next year.  Our first visit there was on Emerald Princess in 2011, second visit was on Caribbean Princess in 2015, and the last visit was on Seabourn Quest in 2018.  That time we actually started our cruise in Reykjavik so flew over a day early to spend the night there.  That made the stay there a little more interesting because we had more time.  We have also flown through Reykjavik several times on our way to Europe.  On the 2018 flight to Reykjavik from Boston we had a TV news personality and his family on the flight with us.  DH spoke to him while they waited for luggage to show up at the carousel.  After hearing our cruise plans, he said he wished he was going on our cruise with us, but he didn't have that amount of time off, so they were going fishing there in Iceland.  I'll hunt up some decent photos of Reykjavik and post them for you here.

• Like 28

Good Morning from an overcast and drizzly day at the beach

I have a very small vegetable garden- mostly tomatoes and cucumbers. They are in containers and an earth box. It is difficult to grow most anything here .

I have never been to Iceland but it is on the list for sure. Anxious to see all the pictures. 

Continued prayers for all those that are are on list. Glad to hear of the progress.

Another ship came in to Pt Canaveral this AM. Could not see it clearly to know which one because of the heavy rain at that time. O know the new Mardi Gras is expected June 4th.  That is the new huge Carnival ship. Will love to see it but I will not go on it, just too big. We prefer smaller ships.

Off to Water aerobics ??? Hopefully it will clear so we can do it.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 22

Good Morning Everyone, today is a bright sunny day and would be a good day to plant the vegetable garden.  I’m planning on doing that this weekend when I don’t have to mind the laptop for work.  I will need to put up the mesh fence to keep those cute, yet pesky, rabbits away.  @dfishthe recipe for today’s meal is a keeper for another day.  The drink of the day looks good too.  I hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 21

Good  morning. It is  expected  to  be  a  warm  day  here. We   might  even  turn  on  the  AC  here.DD has  stakes  out  for  tall  plants  in  anticipation of  the  need  for  them. She  told  me  that  her  tomato  plants  have  to  wait  until  Memorial  Day  to  be  planted. I  guess  she  knows  what  she  is  doing,right?

We  are  fortunate  in  having  a  good primary care  doctor  and  will gladly  celebrate  him.

And  the  other salutes  of  the  day. Chili  in  our  house  is  always  vegetarian  so  that  all  can  enjoy  and  I  love  to  make  it  in  the  "crack pot".

We  have  been  to  Iceland  but  not  this  port. I  only  sailed  half  of  the  VOV as  I  was  working  at  the time. I  dream  of  doing  the  full  voyage  someday.

@NextOne, so  glad  to  hear  your  DH  is  now  in  Rehab. Best  of  everything  to  you  both.

Terry

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

@summer slope gave us a slightly different recipe on December 29, 2020

Champagne Margaritas

1 cup fresh lime juice
1 cup Cointreau
1 cup silver tequila (I like El Tesoro and Partida)
Superfine sugar, if needed for added sweetness
1 lime, cut in half for serving
Coarse (Kosher) salt, for serving
1 bottle Champagne or other sparkling wine

In a pitcher, combine the lime zest, lime juice, Cointreau, tequila and sugar if you are using it. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour).

Just before serving, strain the mixture to remove the zest, and pour enough salt into a saucer to cover the bottom. Rub a lime half over the rim of each champagne glass and upend into the salt to crust it lightly. Pour about 3 ounces of the tequila mixture into each glass, fill the rest of the way with Champagne or sparkling wine.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisers, I  am  sorry  your  DS is  in  so  much  pain and  has  had  such  a  long  bout  of  hospitalization. I  hope  she  gets  to  Rehab  soon  even  though  she  is  not  enthused  about  going. I had  40  years  of  PT experience  and  most  of  my  patients  did  not  want  to  be  there.  I  am  sure  she  will  find  caring  staff  that  will  help  her  through   her  recovery.      Terry

• Like 17

Thanks for the daily.  We've made it to Charleston SC on our east coast adventure.  Lovely weather, not too humid.  Great set of days.  I, too, think my primary doc is great.

We've been to Reykjavik and Iceland several times and love it.  Don't have any pics on this computer.  One of our favorite activities is to head over to one of the public swimming pools in town.  Great place to swim laps, play on the slide and soak in the super-heated pools.  Costs are very reasonable and you can take a city bus from the cruise port.  I also think it's great fun that you can buy anything in Iceland with a credit card, even just a hot dog (tasty).

Prayers to all those on the care list and those who need them.  Best wishes to all.

• Like 21

On the 2018 VoV we had an overnight in Reykjavik and took the time to see a bit of the country.

Coming into the port

Reykjavik1001.jpg.7495130d4c4eddfe0494985329f7bbcc.jpg

The major stop the first day was Gullfoss Waterfall

Reykjavik1010.jpg.3e6dfb8a5320db80c08b83e4cb3a508f.jpg

Reykjavik1011.jpg.dadb38eca5342b7761421e30104c50a7.jpg

The major stop the second day was Seltun Geothermal Area

Reykjavik2008.jpg.7b12e2e61f9c36d29856cfee14097c6b.jpg

Reykjavik2007.jpg.3e8b0f7c0eb121c0b1e8fc09a73e23b5.jpg

Reykjavik2006.jpg.1524f2dadd0a832b140900b6e6115a83.jpg

Reykjavik1013.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

I have peas, lettuce, and radishes already planted, plus broccoli and lettuce seedlings coming along under lights.

Here's something from my unintended stay in Reykjavik a few years ago--I was supposed to be in the Faroe Islands.1709929503_Icelandwaterfall.thumb.jpg.e428ad1dcdc583be263f3c5919c6f7c8.jpg.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Another great bunch of days to celebrate - we have a Boys & Girls club, not just for boys, and totally appreciate everyone with a vegetable garden.  Our property isn't conducive to good gardens, so after a couple of years of failures, we gave up and laid down sod.  God bless the family doctors - we've had 2 over the course of our marriage, and are comforted that they know our history and are able to diagnose and refer as needed.

@kazu you're not far off with those images of the May long weekend here on the "frozen tundra".  Yesterday we started with +18 (66F), and topped off at +26, but that has changed overnight.  We woke this morning to a brisk +4 (39F), and are expecting a high of only +11.  And . . . there's a 90% chance of snow on Friday.  Argh.  Thank goodness for stocking up over the winter, because I have a whole bunch of "Hot Shots" warming packets that will be placed into the large pots that are too big and heavy to carry into safety.  They'll be covered with old bath sheets and tarps to keep them alive for summer.

It was so nice yesterday that in the early afternoon I met a half dozen former colleagues in the park at the end of our block for a socially distanced iced coffee and a visit.  It was lovely being able to see these people after such a long separation.  The conversation flowed freely, and everyone agreed it was good for our health to get together again.

I like the menu suggestion, but we had chili the other day for lunch.  DH has been talking about getting a burrito bowl from a local Mexican take-out, which has great appeal for me, as I don't have to make it!  We'll order online and do curbside pick up; hopefully it will be warm enough that we can still enjoy it on the deck this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy's healing.  Clinking the glasses together tonight to celebrate everyone on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks when you need to, and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 25

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

@kazu I'd like to request an addition to the Celebration List.  Tomorrow afternoon my Grand Nephew Adam (Amanda's son) graduates from High School.  I hope to be watching his graduation streamed live.

Roy

Happy to do so, Roy 🙂 Congrats to Adam!

• Like 9