The Daily for Thursday Jul 08, 2021

richwmn

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Ditto here - except we started a segment earlier and got off after 2 segments so didn’t do this one.  It too was our farewell cruise 😢 

I remember seeing you on our cruise, too.  Got on the ship in Civitavecchia on April 24.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Thing went from bad to worse with a terrible storm here yesterday. My little Borough has declared a state of emergency. Luckily no injuries that I know of, but trees and wires down everywhere. I’ve had no power since 3pm yesterday. The power company says it might be until 11 pm tonight before it’s back. 

Trees down outside my house. And the streetlight ended up in my yard. 

Oh, my! 😬 Hope you get power back sooner than later. 🤞

• Like 6

Good morning, all! I’d love to be a kid again - for about 12 hours in the time and place of my choosing! This morning we had blueberry pie for breakfast, so the timing was perfect.

I’ve been to Dublin on a land trip to Ireland decades ago. The first couple of weeks we rented an ocean view cottage in West Cork. It was a stone cottage in March and we were the first occupants of the season. Talk about cold! However, we spent St. Patrick’s Day sitting on a stone wall with a glass of our landlords home made wine while the contestants of the West Cork car rally raced by perilously close to our feet and then negotiated the tight turn at the corner (or not, in some cases). Later we spent a week driving around. My main memory of Dublin was that all roads lead in, but none lead out. We discovered this when we were done sightseeing and wanted to leave. No matter what we did, we ended up back in the Center of Dublin. We finally escaped when we realized that the signs in Gaelic lead you out of town. My now ex-DH concentrated on the traffic. I translated traffic signs, pointing and shouting “An Lar, AN LAR!” as if our lives depended on it. That did the trick, and eventually we were back in the countryside. This was long before digital photography, so no pics to share.

In fact I’m on my phone today, so no floor mats. So here’s a picture from the Amsterdam’s crew show, literally performed at the end of the World on a BHB.

3731576A-8EB9-4E31-A5CF-1EB9F0C23C86.thumb.jpeg.c7e816303feb3232c914f44a82d8086e.jpeg

5D1A67FC-56C9-45B9-A834-8E91F1839955.jpeg

711AB7E5-1681-43AE-B448-233D193A6526.jpeg

• Like 19

We are bring threatened with smoke from all the fires burning in BC.  Depending on the wind, we will either get the smoke from the east or a sea breeze from the west.  It is a month early for our "smoky" season.  There are a few fires burning on Vancouver Island, but I don't think any of them are out of control at the moment.  

For @Horizon chaser 1957, here's Thursday floor mat from Prinsendam.

P1040671.thumb.JPG.027eb20de2f2714f98c161ff3be3f6bf.JPG

We do try not to use the elevators.  I remember on one cruise we would call an elevator, first thing, and I would put my foot in the door and take a picture.  Then we would let the elevator go, and take the stairs..

Sorry, posting at the same time as Cruise Suzy - just not quick enough to get in first!

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Oh my.So much to read on the Daily today!

@JazzyV,that storm looked scary.I hope power is back soon.

@mamaofami,I was still working when my husband was very ill and had to get a lot of help as he needed constant care.I am hoping you are happy with the new aides. Many prayers to all of you

We were in Dublin and I do have some  pictures but they are back home on the computer.Anyway,my pictures are somewhat lacking...

I do have a picture of the twins  on a Bay beach looking for hermit crabs.It Is so great to be with everyone all day

4788.jpeg

• Like 17

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

The wine of the day sounds lovely, but out of my budget. I’m still trying to figure out what tannins taste like. 

Have a great day all.

Cat’s notes on the Wine of the Day:

Luce della Vite
This “Super Tuscan” might be hard to find locally, and is a bit expensive. But if you can find it and it is within your budget, all vintages have excellent ratings. I found one US distributor offering the 2014 vintage for $69.88.

Winemaker notes
50% Merlot and 50% Sangiovese from Montalcino, Italy. The wine spends 12 months in a combination of new and neutral barriques and has 5 g/L of residual sugar. The 2017 Luce Della Vite Lucente begins with wonderfully strong and enticing aromas of blackberry and raspberry plus leather, spice and licorice. The wine tastes rich and luscious with tons of delicious ripe, juicy fruit countered by dusty tannins. A fabulous long, dry finish ends the lovefest and your left with lasting fruit notes and wistful memories. In other words, this is a silky smooth wine with wonderful flavors.

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the day - Luce della Vite - Italy - Red

@TiogaCruiserChew tea leaves.  That will give you a good idea of what Tannin tastes like.  It may seem awful, but, when it is balanced by other dimensions in a wine, it become very important to the wine's enjoyment.

Luce della Vite is a terrific wine--and this is coming from the guy who is very upfront about his California wine preference. 

shopping.png.1131b4c909724089de59399f327ad6f0.png

Luce della Vite is the result of a partneership between Robert Mondavi and the Frescobaldi family in the early 1990s.  (You can thiink of it as almost being the Italian analog of the Opus One partnership between Mondavi and Phillippe de Rothschild.)     Mondavi sold his interest in the partnership, and, since 2004 vintage, the direction of Luce was entrusted solely to Lamberto Frescobaldi.  

Since this wine is made from a substatial amount of the non-traditional (for Tuscany) Merlot grape, it is called a Toscana IGT (Indicazione Geografica Tipica) wine--or, more colorfully, a "Super Tuscan."

Lucente della Vite is another Super Tuscan wine made by the same producer--a so called "second label."

738967208_shopping(1).png.365fb2673452a8f7cf2356f91238686c.png

Second labels are a great opportunity for consumers to try wines from outstanding makers ar a price that is a bit more palatable for most of us.  For readers in the United States who have the opportunty to purchase wine from the Total Wine stores, they sell the Luce for about $100.  However, they sell the Lucente for less than $30.  I have never had the opportunity to try the Lucente, but reliable acquaintences have reported that it is an excellent price performer.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Oh my.So much to read on the Daily today!

@JazzyV,that storm looked scary.I hope power is back soon.

@mamaofami,I was still working when my husband was very ill and had to get a lot of help as he needed constant care.I am hoping you are happy with the new aides. Many prayers to all of you

We were in Dublin and I do have some  pictures but they are back home on the computer.Anyway,my pictures are somewhat lacking...

I do have a picture of the twins  on a Bay beach looking for hermit crabs.It Is so great to be with everyone all day

4788.jpeg

Has anything been said about Elsa where you are?

Roy

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! I’d love to be a kid again - for about 12 hours in the time and place of my choosing! This morning we had blueberry pie for breakfast, so the timing was perfect.

I’ve been to Dublin on a land trip to Ireland decades ago. The first couple of weeks we rented an ocean view cottage in West Cork. It was a stone cottage in March and we were the first occupants of the season. Talk about cold! However, we spent St. Patrick’s Day sitting on a stone wall with a glass of our landlords home made wine while the contestants of the West Cork car rally raced by perilously close to our feet and then negotiated the tight turn at the corner (or not, in some cases). Later we spent a week driving around. My main memory of Dublin was that all roads lead in, but none lead out. We discovered this when we were done sightseeing and wanted to leave. No matter what we did, we ended up back in the Center of Dublin. We finally escaped when we realized that the signs in Gaelic lead you out of town. My now ex-DH concentrated on the traffic. I translated traffic signs, pointing and shouting “An Lar, AN LAR!” as if our lives depended on it. That did the trick, and eventually we were back in the countryside. This was long before digital photography, so no pics to share.

In fact I’m on my phone today, so no floor mats. So here’s a picture from the Amsterdam’s crew show, literally performed at the end of the World on a BHB.

That is soooo funny!  We had the exact same experience driving out of Dublin.  It really set us back in looking for our first night's lodging.  All we could find available was very unsavory.   But all was smooth sailing after that first night.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I've been to Dublin twice.  The first was on the Crystal Symphony in 2012.  They sometimes offer something called "You Care We Care" excursions, tours aimed at volunteer activity.  They vary in quality, sometimes real service opportunities and sometimes local organizations putting on a dog and pony show.  My tour in Dublin was to a multigenerational community and tended mostly towards the dog and pony show variety.  We spent most of our time in a youth center:

youthctr.jpg

Part of the center was a mock up theater set:

theater.jpg

There was a nursery:

nursery.jpg

The closest thing we did to service was acting as the cheering section for a youth football (soccer) match:

football.jpg

My second visit was on the Prinsendam in 2015.  I took a duck tour:

theduck.jpg

It was an American built World War II vintage craft it's last year of service.  There have been duck accidents and ours was fitted with auxiliary floats before entering the waterL

waterduck.jpg

On the water part of the tour we passed the studio where U2 recorded:

u2home.jpg

Roy

• Like 19

57 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

@TiogaCruiserChew tea leaves.  That will give you a good idea of what Tannin tastes like.  It may seem awful, but, when it is balanced by other dimensions in a wine, it become very important to the wine's enjoyment.

Would really strong, bottom of the cup (liquid) tea work?

( I’m taking this seriously because I really want to recognize the flavor. It keeps coming up in a lot of the reviews.)

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I remember seeing you on our cruise, too.  Got on the ship in Civitavecchia on April 24.

We got on April 12th.  It was a fabulous cruise - I felt for the crew.  They were crying when we got off as they knew they would be split up and life on a HAL ship would be very different.

They were so geared to giving great service and personalized service.

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

That will give you a good idea of what Tannin tastes like.  It may seem awful, but, when it is balanced by other dimensions in a wine, it become very important to the wine's enjoyment.

Tannins are the reason I have to avoid most red wines.  I don’t get it as I drink tea easily but the wrong red wine and my face is as a red as beet and I am unwell fast.   I know a few reds I can drink and enjoy them.

I take a teaspoon full at wine tastings but I don’t dare any more most times.

I stick to white for the most part unless I am sure the red won’t affect me.

It’s not that I don’t like reds - they don’t like me 😔 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@sailingdutchy Tony, we were on that same Prinsendam voyage with you in 2019.  Our farewell cruise on the Elegant Explorer.😪

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Ditto here - except we started a segment earlier and got off after 2 segments so didn’t do this one.  It too was our farewell cruise 😢 

We embarked the Prinsendam on April 12 in Lisbon , like Jacqui and Jose did  after enjoying a wonderful evening together at Sr Fado in Lisbon the night before and we stayed on board until May 20th in Amsterdam . Also had some nice tours and a few nice dinners at the Captain's table in the Pinnacle together . This was an amazing cruise ! 😁

Tony 😁

• Like 9

My most vivid memory of Dublin was the "Hunger Memorial". We were wandering around town and walked to the river. There is a park along the river near the old customs house. Along this park are life-size metal statues depicting desparate, emaciated people waiting to get into the customs house to obtain a permit to emigrate from the country back in the 1840's.

It really hit me hard. I just stood there for a long time realizing that my great grandfather was one of those people.

An incredibly emotional experience.

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jimgev said:

My most vivid memory of Dublin was the "Hunger Memorial". We were wandering around town and walked to the river. There is a park along the river near the old customs house. Along this park are life-size metal statues depicting desparite, emaciated people waiting to get into the customs house to obtain a permit to emigrate from the country back in the 1840's.

It really hit me hard. I just stood there for a long time realizing that my great grandfather was one of those people.

That would be very moving.

If you ever get to Cobh there are several statues dedicated to the immigrants.  I found them very moving.  Definitely do the White Star visit there.  You will be so appreciative of what we have now and what our ancestors went through to get here.

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, jimgev said:

My most vivid memory of Dublin was the "Hunger Memorial". We were wandering around town and walked to the river. There is a park along the river near the old customs house. Along this park are life-size metal statues depicting desparite, emaciated people waiting to get into the customs house to obtain a permit to emigrate from the country back in the 1840's.

@sailingdutchyhad a photo of that in post 53.  Thank you for calling attention to the story.

Roy

• Like 11

52 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Would really strong, bottom of the cup (liquid) tea work?

( I’m taking this seriously because I really want to recognize the flavor. It keeps coming up in a lot of the reviews.)

It would be close.  I would suggest that your test be with a room temperature liquid.

47 minutes ago, kazu said:

Tannins are the reason I have to avoid most red wines.  I don’t get it as I drink tea easily but the wrong red wine and my face is as a red as beet and I am unwell fast.   I know a few reds I can drink and enjoy them.

No shame in that. 

Mrs. XBGuy just prefers white wine, and, specifically, those from Chardonnay grapes.  It's just what she likes.  So, often, there are two bottles of wine on our table--a red for me and a white, oops, sorry, a Chardonnay for her.  If I happen to open a particularly distiictive red, I'll suggest that she might enjoy a taste.  She welcomes such invitations.  More often that not, her reaction will be something like, "Yes. that is good."  Sometimes, though, she pulls another glass out of the cupboard and I know I am sharing the bottle.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I have a friend that swears by these (I have not tried them personally as I have no ill effects from red wine) -- https://www.amazon.com/PureWine-Headaches-Removes-Sulfites-Histamines/dp/B06XGP85LR

Note:  IMO they are pricy!

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

I have a friend that swears by these (I have not tried them personally as I have no ill effects from red wine) -- https://www.amazon.com/PureWine-Headaches-Removes-Sulfites-Histamines/dp/B06XGP85LR

Note:  IMO they are pricy!

Thanks. It looks like it helps with sulphites.  I can handle those - it’s the tannins but I will investigate.  Much appreciated 👍 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jimgev said:

My most vivid memory of Dublin was the "Hunger Memorial". We were wandering around town and walked to the river. There is a park along the river near the old customs house. Along this park are life-size metal statues depicting desparate, emaciated people waiting to get into the customs house to obtain a permit to emigrate from the country back in the 1840's.

We saw these statues as we drove through Dublin on our tour. I took a picture through the bus window.

0127.thumb.JPG.338e5d50fa66edd2179b4723e5fef531.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1