The Daily for Tuesday July 20, 2021

richwmn

Today is International Chess Day, National Ice Cream Soda Day, and National Lollipop Day

I take a simple view of life. It is keep your eyes open and get on with it. - Laurence Sterne

Meal suggestion for today - Vegetarian Skillet Chili Topped with Cornbread

Drink of the Day - Bloody Margaret

Wine of the day - Ruffino Moscato d'Asti - Italy - White

Destination of the Day - Argostoli Cephalonia Greece

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Seattle eta 7/20
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 7/25
Zuiderdam MX Drift

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0720NADM.thumb.png.24acc9093ba06656db9b050ea789bee1.png

0720USA.thumb.png.3dbb035baa07dc7daa5879cbaec818de.png

0720Europe.thumb.png.9b6d4725e1371d8d672c89b1b707e386.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.  Love those maps.a

Very tasty pair of days.  Yummy.  I don't play chess, I know how the pieces move, but I'm not a very good planner.

Good advice in that quote.

Dinner sounds good for a winter's day, not sure about today.

Another drink I have never heard of, maybe someday I'll have one on a BHB.

The wine is great I think.

We've been to Greece, but not today's port.  Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

When I first posted today Eid al-Adha was listed as one of today's celebrations. I didn't know what that was and it wasn't listed on the second reference I use, so I changed it. Upon further search I found that it is a major Muslim observance.

Eid al-Adha
Eid al-Adha, Arabic for Festival of the Sacrifice, is the latter of the two official holidays celebrated within Islam. It honours the willingness of Abraham to sacrifice his son Ishmael as an act of obedience to God's command. Before Ibrahim could sacrifice his son, however, God provided a lamb to sacrifice instead.Wikipedia
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone!

Today will be another beautiful day in northeast Ohio.   Blue skies, mid 80s, what more could you ask for on a summer day?

I'm hitting the pool this morning and then the park for a picnic with fellow retired teachers.  Should be fun, fun, fun!

Today's meal would be great on a cool fall day.   I'd leave the sugar out and probably the cornbread due to the carb count.   I love a good spicy chili.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/vegetarian-skillet-chili-topped-with-cornbread-3635249371154008_Vegetarianskilletchilitoppedwithcornbread.jpeg.1cfd447c50ace14ebb5c7d6b02d057d8.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  Haven't played chess or had a lollipop for a long time but love Ice Cream Sodas.  Love the Sterne quote.  My only port in Greece is Athens/Piraeus where Eurodam is hanging out.  Nice meal suggestion.  My alternative is Master Chef Rudi's salad, Duck Breast a L'Orange, and Cherries Jubilee, my final dinner on MS Rotterdam VI, 11 years ago today.  Oncologist today for the semi-annual double jabs.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU
Cruising Along’s cousin needing new kidney
DurangoScots shelter manager in ICU
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV eye surgery today

From the rotation:
Kakalina undergoing radiation for aggressive cancer
Sharon’s mother

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam returning from test cruise
Congratulations 52 years for Lady Hudson
Front Line Health Care Workers
Explorer OTS housing Surfside first responders
highland cruiser at Diamond Lake
kplady on Lake George
Mamaofami and Sam family visit
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Welcome home CatShepard
Great shot of Miss Camila
Denise on her wilderness adventure
Welcome home Cruising Along
Rain for Quartzite Cruiser
Occasional contributors including llbz327
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all and thanks for the report Rich. I admire chess players, I never developed a skill for chess.  Love a root beer float but we’re all gaining some weight this week from all of the ice cream that we’re eating!  Lollipops are fun and deserve their own day. I love today’s quote, it reminds me of a similar one that our dear departed friend used to say, “you put your shoes on and keep walking”.  We miss him a great deal.  The meal suggestion sounds perfect for yet another cloudy day in Boston. Have not been to today’s port and look forward to the photos, yesterday’s were fantastic.  Yesterday’s news about opening Canada’s border to us was most welcome. Can’t wait to visit our friends up north!  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list in hopes that it shrinks and hip hip hooray for everyone celebrating a happy event today.  

• Like 26

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today promises to be a hot day but a dry one.  Hopefully at lunchtime I can mow the lawn.  This morning I was able to complete the vaccine document for our July 31 Alaska trip.  I am now able to print our boarding passes and they appear in the Navigator app.  That’s a good start to the day.

• Like 23

Rich:   Thank you for the fleet report.   Very few places can make the old fashioned soda like they made them when I was a child and teen.  There is a drug store in Sitka thet has a soda fountain. Have a great day!

• Like 16

27 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  Haven't played chess or had a lollipop for a long time but love Ice Cream Sodas.  Love the Sterne quote.  My only port in Greece is Athens/Piraeus where Eurodam is hanging out.  Nice meal suggestion.  My alternative is Master Chef Rudi's salad, Duck Breast a L'Orange, and Cherries Jubilee, my final dinner on MS Rotterdam VI, 11 years ago today.  Oncologist today for the semi-annual double jabs.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU
Cruising Along’s cousin needing new kidney
DurangoScots shelter manager in ICU
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV eye surgery today

From the rotation:
Kakalina undergoing radiation for aggressive cancer
Sharon’s mother

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam returning from test cruise
Congratulations 52 years for Lady Hudson
Front Line Health Care Workers
Explorer OTS housing Surfside first responders
highland cruiser at Diamond Lake
kplady on Lake George
Mamaofami and Sam family visit
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Welcome home CatShepard
Great shot of Miss Camila
Denise on her wilderness adventure
Welcome home Cruising Along
Rain for Quartzite Cruiser
Occasional contributors including llbz327
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for the Care and Shout Out lists.

• Like 9

Thank you for today’s Daily , Rich!

If you are ever looking for a way to lose some weight… try a cast.🤣

Sorry I couldn’t resist. But in spite of all that I ate in Iceland, I lost weight!!! As a weight loss measure it is a bit drastic. But if you have tried everything else, try dragging around a 5 pound cast.

Off to an early dermatologist appointment. Hope to catch up later.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Ruffino Moscato d'Asti - Italy

Sweet wine alert. But it is a sparkling wine which might just help tame the sweetness a bit. It has a user rating of 4.6 out of 5 on wine.com. At a price as low as $11.99 online, you could give it a try. But I suspect I will give this one a pass.

Winemaker Notes

Bright straw yellow. The bouquet is very fragrant and displays aromas characteristic of the Moscato varietal. Hints of sage and citrus fruit give way to distinct notes of peach and orange blossoms. The wine delivers a pleasantly sweet taste, perfectly tempered by the freshness offered by its refined bubbles. Flavors of sage and fresh white stone fruit linger on the palate.

Moscato d'Asti's low alcohol makes it a very versatile food companion. It pairs particularly well with almost any type of dessert. A classic Italian pairing is with fresh bread, salami, figs and melon. Moscato d'Asti also tastes wonderful with spicy Asian foods.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good  morning  fellow  Dailyites. It  is  a  cooler  day  with  alternating  clouds and  sunshine  and  the  dog  and  I  were  able  to  go  for  a  nice  long  walk  earlier.  I  like  the  quote  of  the  day  and will celebrate Chess  Day  the  next  time  I  have  a  game  with  DGS. Although  Ice  Cream  Sodas  and  lollipops  are  nice  I  avoid  both. The  recipe  looks  good  but  I  just  made  a  double  batch  of  Vegetarian Chili. Tana  requested  a  delivery  of Swedish  Meatballs(Christmas  in  July?) for  their  meal  today  so  I  had  the  oven  going  bright  and  early to  comply. The  traditional  dessert made  with  that  is  rice  pudding  and  I  had  a  brief  thought  about  making  that  as  well.

We  all  appreciate  the  ongoing  support  and  prayers  that  Miss  Camilla   receives from  this  wonderful  group. The  Docs  tell  us  she  has  to  have  at  least  five  days  in  a  row without  her  heart rate decreasing before  she  is  considered  stable  enough.  We  are  starting  day  2  today  so  we  are hopeful. She  also  still  needs  the  feeding  tube but  hopefully  that  will  change.

I  look  forward  to  pictures  of  the  port.    Terry

• Like 29

Thank you for today's daily and care reports Rich and Roy.

I am a novice at chess and haven't played for a long time.

Ice cream soda is lovely.

Pauline likes veggie skillets.

We had a lovely cruise stop in Argostoli.

Like most Greek ports it is pretty and fairly sedate during the day 

We used to video a lot on our camcorder on our holidays so don't have photos from most ports.

Asti is quite sweet and low in alcohol so makes a nice change.

Good quote of the day.

It is currently 12.50pm 77°F and sunny so we will go and sit in the garden and have our lunch shortly.

Paulines cousin who lives in Adelaide South Australia rang this morning to say they have 5 covid19 cases and South Australia has gone into an immediate 7 day isolation lockdown with only food shops open.

Please stay safe everyone.

Graham.

• Like 28

30 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily , Rich!

If you are ever looking for a way to lose some weight… try a cast.🤣

Sorry I couldn’t resist. But in spite of all that I ate in Iceland, I lost weight!!! As a weight loss measure it is a bit drastic. But if you have tried everything else, try dragging around a 5 pound cast.

Off to an early dermatologist appointment. Hope to catch up later.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Ruffino Moscato d'Asti - Italy

Sweet wine alert. But it is a sparkling wine which might just help tame the sweetness a bit. It has a user rating of 4.6 out of 5 on wine.com. At a price as low as $11.99 online, you could give it a try. But I suspect I will give this one a pass.

Winemaker Notes

Bright straw yellow. The bouquet is very fragrant and displays aromas characteristic of the Moscato varietal. Hints of sage and citrus fruit give way to distinct notes of peach and orange blossoms. The wine delivers a pleasantly sweet taste, perfectly tempered by the freshness offered by its refined bubbles. Flavors of sage and fresh white stone fruit linger on the palate.

Moscato d'Asti's low alcohol makes it a very versatile food companion. It pairs particularly well with almost any type of dessert. A classic Italian pairing is with fresh bread, salami, figs and melon. Moscato d'Asti also tastes wonderful with spicy Asian foods.

Any report from your primary doctor?

Roy

• Like 7

👍 Thank you for The Daily, Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration  Lists.  Yes, @cat shepardcasts are definitely no picnic! Hope you're on the mend.

🚢We were on a Princess cruise a LONG time ago and visited three ports of call for Greece: Piraeus for Athens, Mykonos and Corfu. The Cruise Critics we were with organized a wonderful tour for the day. Who knows where the photos are, lol?🙃🤔

🙏Prayers for all in need.

Katie

1626781265370_0_16267812161948068241110766858091.jpg

• Like 26

Good morning.  Never learned to play chess, would love an ice cream soda, and stopped enjoying lollipops years ago.  The quote is spot on.  Will skip the meal.

Have not been to Greece, will travel to it with your photo's.

Hugs and prayers to our care list, and a big toast to the shout-out list.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Bloody Margaret:

Bloody Margaret is a variation on the cocktail Bloody Mary, made with gin instead of vodka - known as a Red Snapper in the United States. Wikipedia

The Ingredients
45 ml Gin ,90 ml Tomato Juice, 15 ml Lemon Juice, 1 dash Tabasco Sauce, 2 dashes Worcestershire Sauce, 1 dash Salt, 1 dash Pepper, Celery Stalk
How To make a Bloody Margaret
Add dashes of Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco, salt and pepper into highball glass, then pour all ingredients into highball with ice cubes. Stir gently. Garnish with celery stalk.

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 7.58.15 AM.png

• Like 29

@grapau27.  My friend emailed me yesterday about the situation in Australia: 😔

~~We are currently in a major lockdown for 5 weeks at least in Greater Sydney ( 25% of 25 million total population ) and Melbourne is in 7 days lockdown for another 25%. We are huge sparsely populated country who live in 6 major cities so quite exposed to spread of Delta Version which appears to be 19 times more contagious
In Sydney they have just locked down all Construction Industry for 2 weeks so can you imagine this in the USA?
There are only 5 reasons to leave your home and a maximum radius of 10 Km.
~~~Katie ( email from a good friend)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

Another rainy morning in my part of Georgia, but it's a good day anyway since I have nothing planned out of the house today.  Tomorrow I have my annual physical scheduled so it would be nice if I didn't have to slosh through the puddles to do that.  The meteorologists say 40% chance of rain tomorrow which essentially means who knows?

Good group of days to celebrate today.  International Chess Day reminds me of my two DGS who are pretty darn good at it.  I haven't a clue how to play because I too would never be able to think two steps ahead!  I haven't had a lollipop is ages.  And Ice Cream Sodas are delicious but another thing I haven't had in a very long time.  I always liked root beer floats the best.  The skillet chili recipe looks intriguing but to tell the truth I love our own chili recipe and would prefer that.  

For our friends on the care list we send prayers, especially Vanessa @JazzyVso that she may have a safe and successful eye operation.  Toasts to all on the celebrations list!  The other day I watched the Koningsdam "Might Cruise Ships" episode in the Norwegian Fjords that I have stored on my DVR because I had nothing else to do.  Always brings a lift to me.  And there was Sabine as a First Officer doing her duties on the bridge quite well.  No wonder she is now a Staff Captain!

I will be quite interested to see some photos and stories of Argostoli, Greece from some of our Dailyites.  It's one port we haven't seen in Greece (and we've been to 8 Greek ports so far).   So bring on the photos!

• Like 28

Good morning everyone.Today will be another scorcher, but no rain expected.Yesterday, we had some grab bars installed and a few hours later a social worker from visiting nurses told me that the VA would have paid for them. I spent at least an hour calling the audiology department and then a hearing aide tech at the VA and no one called me back. Then I went for my annual mamo for the first time in NJ. It took them three hours to upload 10: previous discs and sonograms. In NY, I would  have had the results before I left the office, but here I have to wait till several radiologists read it and my MD calls me. Did I mention that when I got there the office didn’t have the script my MD had faxed over months ago? That took several phone calls from my car before it was straightened out. So much red tape in everything I do  these days.

Sam asked the PT if he could bar b q and was told no. The path to the grill is tight and he would be using a walker so no go. He is in good spirits and tired of the four walls, so today he will go for a walk outside. 

Carol

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Tuesday smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  In my younger years I was an avid chess player when there was a great group to play with.  Now, I doubt I could even plan 3 moves ahead 😉   

Love the quote by Sterne and such good advice 👍 

We’ll pass on the meal suggestion & the wine of the day, thanks.  Asti is too sweet even though in my younger days, I enjoyed it now and then. 

@dfishthanks for the explanation of the Bloody Margaret.  I had never heard of that drink before.  Interesting combination!

We have been to Argostoli - I’ll dig and see if I can find some pics.  Sadly, not on my easy to manage digital archive.

@cat shepardI believe you on losing weight dragging that cast around.  It’s tiresome and hard work.  I found the same with my cast and my boot.  When I had my elbow surgery I swear my brace weighed twice as much as my arm.  The difficulty eating also cuts back on how much you have IME.  Try to eat healthy though and please - Don’t forget Vitamin C and D - very good at helping to heal bones. I’m praying for a quick and easy healing for you and a good report from your physician.  Remember when you weigh yourself you have the cast on and it’s heavy.  

1EA427D6-36D4-4EB6-963E-D8B23653050D.thumb.jpeg.58b4c6ee436c01d5f3bb089416bb39d0.jpeg

I don’t know about everyone else but I am really missing cruising and travelling.

4EF9F77A-EC9F-4721-BA6B-578333077150.thumb.jpeg.c1d8256b891bd587f1266a02fcf9cdd7.jpeg

I’m getting tired of having to prepare meals every day and think of something new to eat.  

74195348-FFD9-4BB4-93D2-6F06A6322944.thumb.jpeg.effb3921d5886131e9dd6b1691214def.jpeg

I used to enjoy cooking and creating but I usually had a month of cruising or travelling where someone else did all the work and I had nice fresh things that we couldn’t get here.  This not being waited on is getting old 😉 😔 

C591F910-96BA-4892-8443-AFC879EB76E9.jpeg.39502df154f062589d6d2a327232491f.jpeg

Oh well, at least it’s summer right now and the flowers are blooming 🙂 

353FC062-30C6-4C3C-B5F1-C5967037482C.thumb.jpeg.7f12e5090308decdcb06f0c6398076f1.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

A773269F-416A-4A06-94D2-72DCD6256C49.png.861fa92f3a28d54b21a364f675a294c6.png

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, garlictown said:

@grapau27.  My friend emailed me yesterday about the situation in Australia: 😔

~~We are currently in a major lockdown for 5 weeks at least in Greater Sydney ( 25% of 25 million total population ) and Melbourne is in 7 days lockdown for another 25%. We are huge sparsely populated country who live in 6 major cities so quite exposed to spread of Delta Version which appears to be 19 times more contagious
In Sydney they have just locked down all Construction Industry for 2 weeks so can you imagine this in the USA?
There are only 5 reasons to leave your home and a maximum radius of 10 Km.
~~~Katie ( email from a good friend)

Mask wearing and social distancing were no longer required from yesterday in England and we had 50,000 new cases yesterday.

Fortunately most people myself included still wore a mask in  indoor settings early yesterday morning 

Our Reverend will text us about church requirements for masks etc in the next few days.

Graham.

• Like 21