The Daily for Wednesday July 28, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Milk Chocolate Day, Buffalo Soldiers Day, and World Nature Conservation Day

The chief danger in life is that you may take too may precautions. -- Alfred Adler

Meal suggestion for today - Best Ever Beef Stew

Drink of the Day - Kremlin Colonel

Wine of the day - Résonance Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2015

Destination of the Day - Takoradi Ghana

Ships with Passengers

Sitka
Nieuw Amsterdam 08:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Koningsdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0728NAmerica.thumb.png.edb8fff1e678b0601332332eda880177.png

0728Europe.thumb.png.81cfeb3a472238ec1a0c0fc51da83961.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

I had to google "Buffalo Soldiers Day" - a day to commemorate the formation of the first US army regiment comprised of African Americans, a day worth honouring.  Chocolate milk is worth celebrating too.  Nature Conservancy should be everyday.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.  Hope the drink and wine are good too.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  Special salutes to Conservation and Buffalo Soldiers.  I like Milk Chocolate but prefer dark.  The quote is great.  Have never been to Ghana.  How can anyone argue with "Best Ever Beef Stew".  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup and Roasted Duck with Sour Cherry Chutney as served on MS Prinsendam July 28, 2021.

Today’s care list:

RIP FF Thomas Royds last alarm 7/24/21
RIP Sharon’s old friend
Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU(but gaining strength)
DurangoScots shelter manager in hospital (but out of ICU}
Cruising-along’s friend with breakthrough Covid
StLouisSal final trial procedure
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV recovering from eye surgery
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomy

From the rotation:
Tana back in the hospital
Sharon’s mother(but improving)

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Nieuw Amsterdam in Glacier Bay
Front Line Health Care Workers
wandb’s sister doing well
3-day countdown for CrazyForCats
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Sam completing speech therapy
Dropping by the glass prices on Nieuw Amsterdam
Denise on her wilderness adventure
Jazzyv stitches out
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all and thanks for giving us the always entertaining and educational daily report Rich.  I learn so many interesting and fun facts from it and all of the dailyites.  Buffalo soldiers played a very important role in our history, true patriots for sure.  Isn’t every day milk chocolate day?  World nature conservation needs all of our help.  On a cool gray day here beef stew sounds perfect. What a thunderstorm we had last evening!  Haven’t been to today’s port, can’t wait to see the pictures.  Prayers for all on our prayer list and salud to everyone celebrating a happy event today. 🥳

• Like 22

Thank you for today's daily and care list's 

I have been a sales representative for several chocolate companies over 35 years so National Milk Chocolate day is close to my heart.

Nature conservation is very important.

Nice meal and drink of the day.

We have never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing some  photos.

It always pays to be prepared and take precautions in life.

We have been to Wednesday Eucharist at church this morning and our Reverend mentioned Pauline's late dad again in prayers as it is 13 years tomorrow since cancer took him away from us.

It was raining this morning but now it has stopped and the sea looks very calm.

Prayers to everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Graham.

IMG_20210728_103533.jpg

16274706034925025732432691764562.jpg

• Like 28

Good  morning.  Another great group of days.  Love Milk Chocolate.  Totally agree with the quote, but think we need to have precautions in today's world.  Love beef stew.  I've learned about so many places on this earth that I've never been to.  Looking forward to the photo's of Ghana.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Kremlin Colonel:

Ingredients

How to make

Fill a shaker with ice cubes. Add all ingredients. Shake and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with mint leaf.

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 7.07.26 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone.   

The forecast calls for sunny and 84 degrees.  I can handle that.  What a great collection of days for today.   Great job, Rich, in ferreting them out.  

I'm going to a different pool today.   This one does not blast music at you at 7:30 in the morning.  In fact, it is delightfully quiet and peaceful no matter what time you go there.  The changeover may become permanent.  

Prayers for all those on the prayer list.  It has gotten too long again and I  hope that we will see some people move to the celebrations list soon.  

Today's drink sounds good.  I'd like to try it.  I think it is the mint and lime juice that attract me to it.  Today's meal would be good for a fall or winter day.   And, they will be upon us before we know it.  My goodness, next week is August.  Where is summer going?  

https://damndelicious.net/2020/02/29/best-ever-beef-stew/

2087632034_Best-Ever-Beef-StewIMG_1367(1).thumb.jpg.21d975f78a1c3d6cbfd339bbd3f46cef.jpg

Best-Ever-Beef-StewIMG_1372.thumb.jpg.2b3b2b335c9db8958d2c217bca33bffb.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  As a Hershey boy I celebrate chocolate in all it’s forms.  Today we are scheduled to have a new shower installed in the upstairs bathroom, hopefully they show up on time.  I was able to fill out our health assessment this morning so maybe Saturday’s sailing will really happen.  I hope that everyone has a good day and that those on the NA continue to be safe.

After I posted the phone rang.  The installer called out sick.  This has been rescheduled to mid August.

Edited by Crazy For Cats
New information
  • Like 23

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. Great collection of days.Who doesn't like chocolate? Nature conservation is so importint and I will listen to Bob Marley's sone "Buffalo Soldiers" today.

There are so many variations of beef stew and I like them all.

Sunrise this morning was accompanied by a rainbow - very nice.

Have a great, safe day.

• Like 17

Good morning. You early posters are up with the chickens. Thank you to all who contribute. 

Roy I would love your meal suggestion. I love duck! And milk chocolate. And the drink sounds really good, although I'd be reluctant to say  "bartender sir, bring me a Kremlin Colonel please!"

image.png.0b503393e4b0d98bd0dfbbd2159c9623.png

A mid 90 day for weather. I have a 9 am oil change for our car, a bit of shopping. Tonight we're meeting friends at our ballroom for a performance called "Not Fade Away. A Buddy Holly Tribute" songs from his era. 

We have an "evening buck". He comes through and cleans out our bird feeders, usually by sticking his face through the fence and tipping the feeder towards him.

Blessings to all. Prayers and Cheers. 

0726212019.jpg

• Like 26

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning. You early posters are up with the chickens. Thank you to all who contribute. 

Roy I would love your meal suggestion. I love duck! And milk chocolate. And the drink sounds really good, although I'd be reluctant to say  "bartender sir, bring me a Kremlin Colonel please!"

image.png.0b503393e4b0d98bd0dfbbd2159c9623.png

A mid 90 day for weather. I have a 9 am oil change for our car, a bit of shopping. Tonight we're meeting friends at our ballroom for a performance called "Not Fade Away. A Buddy Holly Tribute" songs from his era. 

We have an "evening buck". He comes through and cleans out our bird feeders, usually by sticking his face through the fence and tipping the feeder towards him.

Blessings to all. Prayers and Cheers. 

0726212019.jpg

Hmmm! Venison Beef Stew if in season. Nope couldn’t do it. Rather watch and photo.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Hump Day smile 🙂 

So good to see a day to salute the African American heroes and nature conservation should be an everyday event.

I have too many friends that are chocoholics so I’ll celebrate the day for them.

A5122DF8-222C-4E59-9CDA-780CE1E705B4.jpeg.fbc2e522e7f3beef125480e159d954c5.jpeg

After all, there are times we feel stressed these days and need chocolate, right?

B0EED1FA-0ADD-4438-BADF-CC3497372ED6.jpeg.4cdd73a4e998fbefc78f684a6087f97d.jpeg

Love the quote although this is a time that does require some precautions.

Beef stew is great on a cool day - I’ll have to save the recipe for a cooler day 😉 

@summer slope thanks for the drink information.  I had never heard of it and it sounds delicious.

A sunset picture last night courtesy of my neighbour - Meaghan’s Bay just a few minutes away from us.  

0AF56E67-0F94-42DA-B2A0-4DD7B2153888.thumb.jpeg.710e018ac19f35e26673e7804cff9b6e.jpeg

Another hot one today so I best get out to the weeds before it’s too hot to deal with them.

Prayers for those on the Care list and for those that need them & 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Hump Day everyone!!!

316733A6-DE94-48EA-8062-1D0E121985B0.thumb.jpeg.feb8c752769661453f2869210c31fd8d.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 31
  • Haha 2

Good  morning everyone. It  is  a  great  collection  of  days and  all  are  to  be  celebrated. I  will  have  to  find  the  Bob  Marley tune, thanks @jimgev!

@dfish, I  hope  the  new  pool  works  out. I  would not  find  loud  blaring  music  conducive  to  exercise  either. Thank  you  for  another  good  recipe. I  might  try  it  in  the  Instapot and  see  how  it  goes.

We  have  our  fingers  and  toes  crossed   that  Miss  Camilla will  be  able  to go  home as  it  is  scheduled  for  today.  My niece  took  a  few  weeks  off  from  work  to  help  the  new  mom. She is  a  nurse so  I  think  that  will  help  a  little  with  some  of  the  nerves. Last  night  I  spoke  to  Momma  on  the  phone  and  had  her  laughing  with some  of  my"  first  baby " stories. It  is  always  a  huge responsibility but  a  lot  scarier  in  this  situation.

The  pictures  of  Petra  yesterday were  just  wonderful. Thank  you  to  everyone for  taking  us  there.

Terry

• Like 27

6 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

We  have  our  fingers  and  toes  crossed   that  Miss  Camilla will  be  able  to go  home as  it  is  scheduled  for  today. 

How exciting!  I hope it can happen 🤞 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from central Texas where it will be 96F but cloudy.  We'll stay out of the triple digits until Saturday.

I like chocolate 🍫 but prefer dark chocolate.  The Buffalo Soldiers played a big part in opening the west, and were posted to several forts in Texas.  They got the name  Buffalo Soldiers from the Indians they were fighting, as their hair reminded the Indians of the buffaloes hides.. They deserve a celebration day.  Everyday should be nature conservation day.

I like the quote, and sometimes we take too many precautions.  However, with Covid-19, we should all take all the precautions we can.  😷

The meal sounds  good for a cooler day. Tonight, we'll be having some more of the pulled pork and the last of the potato salad from this weekend.

The drink which is new to me sounds like something I'd like. Looking forward to reading about the wine as pilot noir is the red wine I usually drink.

We have been to Ghana, but not today's port.  In 2009, we spent an interesting day in Acurra.

The only thing planned for today is getting a haircut.

@St. Louis Sal. Hope the last infusion goes well and that you have the trial drug.

@kazu. Thanks for the morning laughs.

@Seasick Sailor That is a good size buck.

@dfish Debbie, enjoy the quiet pool.

@smitty34877. Fingers crossed 🤞 that Camilla goes home today.. I'm sure it is a relief to her Mama that your niece will be there to help for a few weeks.  That was very nice of her.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!  It's a bit cloudy this morning and boy did we have a thunderstorm right after dinner last night.  The power went out for a short time after a huge crack of thunder sounded nearby.  Just long enough to have to reset some clocks.  We should be getting some sun mixed in today and a high of 91F.  We saw a deer out back again last night.  He/she shows up at various times of the day.  This one has a scar on his right side which looks like he was gouged by a pointy tree branch.  It's all healed up presumably all on its own with no assistance from Dr. Pol.  How come our deer don't have big antlers like Joy and Jacqui's deer?  

I have not been to our port in Ghana today.  It's a little bit off the beaten path I'd say.  I did go to nearby countries Senegal and The Gambia though on the last Grand Africa we did.  I hope someone will have some photos and tales to tell of Takoradi today.

Thank you @richwmnfor the wonderful Daily and also to @rafinmdfor taking care of the lists for us.  I agree the care list is way too long and would love to see some progress for them over to the celebration list.  Prayers for those in need on the care list.  Cheers to those on the celebration list.   @Seasick Sailoryour Russian accent meme is a keeper - loved it!  @kazuyour daily memes are a highlight of our day as well.  We all need to start the day with a smile or laugh.  Thanks also for the drink descriptions and wine information.  I think that beef stew recipe sounds delicious so will have to study it to see how it differs from my own.  

As for the days, chocolate always tops my list.  I prefer dark but am not a bit picky and will eat anything chocolate except for chocolate covered insects.  Nature conservation is a great cause.  Did you know the Native Americans gave the black soldiers the buffalo soldiers nickname in the 1860's?  Thanks for helping us educate ourselves Rich!  

Going to check on Lisa's Live From thread to keep up with their adventures in Alaska now.  Have a great day!

• Like 24

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!  Thank you Buffalo Soldiers! Please hang in there Mother Nature, conservationists are trying. 
CHOCOLATE!

Another day in the sauna, though yesterday’s breeze helped. @smitty34877, my prayers joining yours that Ms. Camilla heads home today!

Not sure what is on the agenda for today. Two pounds of gauze bandage sort of cramps my style. 🙃I will say that Bindi is really behaving - thank goodness. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone. 

Résonance Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2015

Pinot Noir fans - all released vintages of this wine have excellent ratings. You might want to opt for the 2018 vintage that I found online for $25.78 vs the 2015 vintage that I found for $44! I am adding this to my list. I am a PN fan. But then again, there are not too many fans I do not like. 

Winemaker Notes

#75 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017

Deep and brilliant dark ruby color. On the nose, aromas of red fruits pair elegantly with a touch of spice and wood. Flavors such as cherries and currants standout in the mouth and finish with soft tannins and a pleasant minerality.

WS93 Wine Spectator: Supple and elegantly structured, with expressive raspberry and orange zest aromas and polished flavors that pick up depth and momentum toward a spicy finish. Drink now through 2023.

WE92 Wine Enthusiast: Maison Louis Jadot's Willamette Valley project continues to bear fruit and has increased the production of this entry-level cuvée. A lovely, chunky mix of purple and black fruit, it's beautifully proportioned, with plenty of power, lacking only the depth of the older estate vines. It finishes on a lacy note of minerality.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1