Now need a test EVEN if vaccinated!

12 minutes ago, mek said:

Isn't that the truth and it's even worse for people like me who booked their cruise(s) in 2019, prior to Covid. I didn't sign up for any of this crap.  Just a few weeks ago all things looked good for November and now that has all changed.  As a fully vaccinated person, I'm just about done with cruising until the hysterics are over.

Similar story to ours. We booked for a fall cruise this year months ago figuring as vaccination rates came up that cruise lines would open up slowly but safely. Then came the CDC/DeSantis and now all this nonsense. We cancelled our fall cruise a few weeks ago after coming to the realization that we had to jump through multiple hoops with no guarantee the rules wouldn't change and we'd be refused boarding anyway. Now, we are seriously reconsidering our planned 2022 British Isles cruise. I thought for certain that cruise was in the bag. Now its at best a 50-50 proposition. I honestly believe that the first time we *might* be on cruise again will be sometime in 2023. I know one thing, if I cant get it in writing that I will be allowed to board a cruise, I wont be booking or paying for another one.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Just read on the AOS mask thread they are only permitting PCR tests - antigen tests not accepted prior to boarding.  Not sure if that is just for that sailing out of Nassau or if it will be all royal cruises that require the pre-test.    But their emails say PCR only and someone called and it was confirmed, but the website is not yet updated.   

Stay tuned, it may get even tougher if we all have to get a PCR test and results in 3 days.  

15 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Just read on the AOS mask thread they are only permitting PCR tests - antigen tests not accepted prior to boarding.  Not sure if that is just for that sailing out of Nassau or if it will be all royal cruises that require the pre-test.    But their emails say PCR only and someone called and it was confirmed, but the website is not yet updated.   

Stay tuned, it may get even tougher if we all have to get a PCR test and results in 3 days.  

The email has that misstated. The website still lists both options, and someone called them (FB roll call). Since the subject of the email is "A change to our mask requirement for your August <day> Adventure of the Seas sailing" they're announcing a mask requirement, not a change in covid policy.

The backlash will be enormous since a lot of people booked Nassau to NOT wear masks indoor.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Gotta admit, as much as I love cruising (we've been on 30) not a snowballs chance I'd go through this nonsense just so I could cruise. There's plenty of other more relaxing ways to spend your vacation dollars. 

I totally agree and wouldnt even consider it if I werent on a FCC that I could not lift and shift again and will lose if I dont make this sailing.  If I were a betting man, I would also bet I will not qualify for a full refund if I turn up positive three days before the cruise.     All the stress I went through with Harmony and the whole hurricane Dorian debacle doesnt come to close to how stressed I am right now.  I wish I could just have my money back at this point. Id still be out 220.00 for cancelling the Air2Sea flight to SEA 

Edited by ryano

I just posted on another thread about home testing coordinated with an emed.com lab technician, and the results are shown in an app on your iphone.  Tests come in a 6-pack for $150, which is cheaper that RCCL's single test.

Look for post #157 if you are interested:  

47 minutes ago, mek said:

Isn't that the truth and it's even worse for people like me who booked their cruise(s) in 2019, prior to Covid. I didn't sign up for any of this crap.  Just a few weeks ago all things looked good for November and now that has all changed.  As a fully vaccinated person, I'm just about done with cruising until the hysterics are over.

We have a cruise in November, and feel the same.  Final payment is next Friday.  We are booked under NRD - if we cancel, is the deposit truly non-refundable or are they giving FCC due to everything going on?

22 minutes ago, pcur said:

I just posted on another thread about home testing coordinated with an emed.com lab technician, and the results are shown in an app on your iphone.  Tests come in a 6-pack for $150, which is cheaper that RCCL's single test.

Look for post #157 if you are interested:  

These will not be accepted according Bayley. 😞 

Test.JPG

For those AOS cruisers, get your travel visa in TODAY

VACCINATED TRAVELLERS

• Fully vaccinated travellers will be required to upload negative test results (either a Rapid Antigen Test or PCR), in addition to valid proof of vaccination (such as CDC or government issued vaccine record card).
    • Please note: Fully vaccinated persons applying for a Bahamas Travel Health Visa up to and including Thursday, August 5, 2021, will not be subject to a COVID-19 test.  
    • Applications for a Bahamas Travel Health Visa can be submitted 14 days prior to travel; therefore, all applications submitted and approved prior to Friday, August 6, 2021, will be honoured for the purpose of entering The Bahamas. 
  • For international travellers, proof of vaccination must confirm they have passed the two-week immunity period.

https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates?fbclid=IwAR0cUhHHM7R5_jLeqf2iXz2MlYk63W5vVqg17zM-RbvJAG5njdURGxAoirA

Edited by exm
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ryano said:

Test.JPG

I think there is a misunderstanding about this test I'm referring to.  According to the manufacturer:

"If you require a virtual visit for certified digital test results, and proof of negative COVID-19 test, the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test may be a better choice."

What I am referring to is a digital result sent to the mobile app for use with airlines, etc., and detects an active infection.  There are two types of kits with similar names.

Anyone have an idea of the cost of the Antigen test.  I checked my insurance and they do not cover testing unless ordered by a doctor, for symptoms and specially note for social or travel purposes excluded.  

Edited by VaTech8912
ignore - I see it now and it is around $120 Ouch

3 hours ago, ryano said:

Test.JPG

I don't think M. Bayley has ever checked anyone in and probably has no idea what shoreside personnel do. Shoreside is not there to evaluate the quality of thousands of tests. I am pretty certain they are just looking for Date, Name and Negative on your test results. :classic_tongue::classic_biggrin:

On 8/3/2021 at 7:12 AM, molly361 said:

@molly361 they’ve updated your link above.  Beginning  Aug 12, even 3 and 4 day cruises will require testing with no exemptions.  I just read it on the blog, and Royal has already updated their site (below is captured from your link above)

FOR SAILINGS 4 NIGHTS OR LESS 

All guests age 2 and older will need to take the pre-cruise test as outlined above. However, on these shorter sailings, guests who are fully vaccinated may choose to provide proof of vaccination in order to be exempt from this test. For short sailings departing on or after August 12, this exemption will not be granted, and vaccinated guests will be required to take this test.

Edited by BSocial
Corrected
  • Thanks 1

Advice, that is free… if it feels sketchy, cancel.  I believe they are still allowing cancel for any reason.  Don’t fly to the port if there is a significant chance you will be refused, unless you really just wanted to visit Florida.

6 hours ago, mek said:

Cancel, and relax.  Life is short.

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

Cancel, and relax.  Life is short.

Pretty sure that is the path I'm going to take.  Then I will sit back this fall and  watch the sh!!t show as it gets worse or things will suddenly improve.  I'm betting on the 1st option.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mek said:

Pretty sure that is the path I'm going to take.  Then I will sit back this fall and  watch the sh!!t show as it gets worse or things will suddenly improve.  I'm betting on the 1st option.

I will probably rebook the same cruise for sometime in January or February realizing that things may or may not be better by that time, but at least I won't have to deal with getting tested and having the results back over the Thanksgiving weekend - which right now is my primary concern.

10 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Advice, that is free… if it feels sketchy, cancel.  I believe they are still allowing cancel for any reason.  Don’t fly to the port if there is a significant chance you will be refused, unless you really just wanted to visit Florida.

Some of us cant though. They are definitely NOT allowing cancel for any reason on some reservations.    I was on a FCC which originally was issued because of Hurricane Dorian.  We lifted and shifted that to last year for Ovation Alaska in September.  Cruise was cancelled due to COVID of course.  They let us lift and shift again to September 2021 and told us if we dont make the cruise, we lose the FCC because that FCC had to be used before December 30, 2020.  No exceptions.   My TA escalated it as high and she could go and was told no exceptions.

That really puts me in a bind.   I have to be tested on a Tuesday to sail on Friday.  I fly out to SEA early on Thursday with very little chance PCR test results be back by then. I cant find rapid testing around here.   I could possibly wind up in Seattle unable to board.    I have no idea what will happen then to my cruise and the money Ive paid out. At least Delta is allowing flight changes with no penalty so I can get back home.   Ive never been so stressed over a vacation in all my life.  

Edited by ryano

12 hours ago, Coralc said:

I don't think M. Bayley has ever checked anyone in and probably has no idea what shoreside personnel do. Shoreside is not there to evaluate the quality of thousands of tests. I am pretty certain they are just looking for Date, Name and Negative on your test results. :classic_tongue::classic_biggrin:

I dont want to take that risk, being over 2000 miles from home.  

• Like 1

It has been a crap week, so forgive me for venting... what is worse is that there is no one to blame... so much more difficult to get angry when it is no ones fault. August was to be a busy month. We were planning on driving to NJ to see family we haven't seen in several years... reason..covid and spread out family.. Plan was to leave Wedn... return the following Monday and then head to Nassau for AOS the following Saturday... As of last weekend I had two suit cases packed and ready to go.. then on Monday..DH pulling into our neighborhood was hit from behind by a guy who never even hit the breaks... car totaled less than 100 yards from the house.. and it was our only car... less than 40k miles.. our plan had been to wait out the chip shortage before considering a newer one.. so now when cars are selling for 20-30% more than they should we will be buying...nuts.... okay.. this also means our drive to NJ is cancelled since DH is now feeling the effects... 

In the back ground are the changing protocols and AA problems with cancelations... feeling stressed I decided to go to yoga and get rid of the negative energy. While there another student suggested that perhaps the universe was trying to tell me something.. Reminded me of the old joke about the guy in a flood waiting for God to save him ... two boats and a helicopter come by to rescue him, but he says God will save him.. when he drowns and sees God.. he asks why he didn't save him..God says that he sent two boats and a helicopter... With this thought in the back of my mind... Royal added the mask requirement to sailings out of Nassau... the one place where they required everyone over 12 to be vaccinated...  this follows the shortening of time for testing an numerous other changes... just printing out the rules took a few sheets of paper... And I thought about the comment about the universe telling me something... So now I have two suitcases...packed and ready to go and no plans.. A friend staying with us..pointed out that we are ready to go... so perhaps we will.

So I am kinda pissed... but not at anyone or thing...just one of those things that happen... but perhaps by cancelling ...both evens we avoided a superspreader event or sitting shoulder to shoulder with someone who is sick... so perhaps there is an unknown and unknowable silver cloud out there. Once all the cancelling was done DH told me he was relieved that we were not going... so there is that.

Hope everyone has a wonderful cruise...

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, ryano said:

Some of us cant though. They are definitely NOT allowing cancel for any reason on some reservations.    I was on a FCC which originally was issued because of Hurricane Dorian.  We lifted and shifted that to last year for Ovation Alaska in September.  Cruise was cancelled due to COVID of course.  They let us lift and shift again to September 2021 and told us if we dont make the cruise, we lose the FCC because that FCC had to be used before December 30, 2020.  No exceptions.   My TA escalated it as high and she could go and was told no exceptions.

That really puts me in a bind.   I have to be tested on a Tuesday to sail on Friday.  I fly out to SEA early on Thursday with very little chance PCR test results be back by then. I cant find rapid testing around here.   I could possibly wind up in Seattle unable to board.    I have no idea what will happen then to my cruise and the money Ive paid out. At least Delta is allowing flight changes with no penalty so I can get back home.   Ive never been so stressed over a vacation in all my life.  

Sorry you’re in this predicament.

Maybe you can find a rapid test site in Seattle? I know we have them in NJ.

23 minutes ago, ryano said:

Can you check a CVS in Seattle near the port to see if you can schedule a test there? And maybe your TA can call Royal and ask what would happen if you can’t get the test? Since they were making the non vaccinated test before boarding and during a cruise, they should have some quick tests there.  Sorry this is happening to you.

3 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Can you check a CVS in Seattle near the port to see if you can schedule a test there? And maybe your TA can call Royal and ask what would happen if you can’t get the test? Since they were making the non vaccinated test before boarding and during a cruise, they should have some quick tests there.  Sorry this is happening to you.

I agree that since Royal has the tests at the port if you show up and say I was tested but don’t have my results yet they’ll just test you there. I’m sure it’s stressful to count on that but I doubt Royal would want to refund anymore than they have to. 

18 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Gotta admit, as much as I love cruising (we've been on 30) not a snowballs chance I'd go through this nonsense just so I could cruise. There's plenty of other more relaxing ways to spend your vacation dollars. 

I agree ..... the cruise lines don't realize what all these protocols are doing to their product.

You will never be able to keep this virus off cruise ships and to try with all these new procedures is a waste of time.  Count me out also ..... I'll be watching Love Boat this afternoon!

• Like 1

@kearneysometimes it's hard to see, but I believe that things turn out they way they do for a reason.  Hopefully something wonderful will happen b/c you are home to receive it OR you will avoid something awful by not going.  In the meantime, it is hard to not be disappointed.  I know.  Only good thoughts for you !!

• Like 7