Now need a test EVEN if vaccinated!

1 hour ago, kearney said:

It has been a crap week, so forgive me for venting... what is worse is that there is no one to blame... so much more difficult to get angry when it is no ones fault. August was to be a busy month. We were planning on driving to NJ to see family we haven't seen in several years... reason..covid and spread out family.. Plan was to leave Wedn... return the following Monday and then head to Nassau for AOS the following Saturday... As of last weekend I had two suit cases packed and ready to go.. then on Monday..DH pulling into our neighborhood was hit from behind by a guy who never even hit the breaks... car totaled less than 100 yards from the house.. and it was our only car... less than 40k miles.. our plan had been to wait out the chip shortage before considering a newer one.. so now when cars are selling for 20-30% more than they should we will be buying...nuts.... okay.. this also means our drive to NJ is cancelled since DH is now feeling the effects... 

In the back ground are the changing protocols and AA problems with cancelations... feeling stressed I decided to go to yoga and get rid of the negative energy. While there another student suggested that perhaps the universe was trying to tell me something.. Reminded me of the old joke about the guy in a flood waiting for God to save him ... two boats and a helicopter come by to rescue him, but he says God will save him.. when he drowns and sees God.. he asks why he didn't save him..God says that he sent two boats and a helicopter... With this thought in the back of my mind... Royal added the mask requirement to sailings out of Nassau... the one place where they required everyone over 12 to be vaccinated...  this follows the shortening of time for testing an numerous other changes... just printing out the rules took a few sheets of paper... And I thought about the comment about the universe telling me something... So now I have two suitcases...packed and ready to go and no plans.. A friend staying with us..pointed out that we are ready to go... so perhaps we will.

So I am kinda pissed... but not at anyone or thing...just one of those things that happen... but perhaps by cancelling ...both evens we avoided a superspreader event or sitting shoulder to shoulder with someone who is sick... so perhaps there is an unknown and unknowable silver cloud out there. Once all the cancelling was done DH told me he was relieved that we were not going... so there is that.

Hope everyone has a wonderful cruise...

I understand the frustration and disappointment.  Hang in there.  

I am just going to cancel my Aug. 22 cruise due to the testing requirement. Because now there is so much demand for Covid tests, I have been unable to find a place to get a rapid test for travel purposes. Plus, they will give me no guarantee that on Aug. 19 they will actually have the test. Nor am I able to get a guarantee that a PCR test will be back in time. Probably, but maybe not. They even say that on their websites. Royal has really screwed over a lot of people. They should have either made the cruise all vaccinated and no test, or provide the test at the port. 

• Like 2

Same boat here , Made reservation back in 2019. Have been doing the FCC move thing 3 times all cancel . Hope my Sept Allure cruise will sail? All in party had the vax ready to go, now we have to jump hoops and take a covid test 3 days out. Also we have a 20 hour drive ahead of us , Not going to mess with airlines do to the cruise problems in the past... I NEED A BEER...

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, nyllrap said:

I am just going to cancel my Aug. 22 cruise due to the testing requirement. Because now there is so much demand for Covid tests, I have been unable to find a place to get a rapid test for travel purposes. Plus, they will give me no guarantee that on Aug. 19 they will actually have the test. Nor am I able to get a guarantee that a PCR test will be back in time. Probably, but maybe not. They even say that on their websites. Royal has really screwed over a lot of people. They should have either made the cruise all vaccinated and no test, or provide the test at the port. 

I just cancelled my August Mariner cruise.  Until yesterday I was ready to go.  It was a four night cruise and no test was required but today it is.  Too many hoops to jump thru.  I know I can get a test at one of the drug stores but I thought being vaccinated was going to be enough.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I just cancelled my August Mariner cruise.  Until yesterday I was ready to go.  It was a four night cruise and no test was required but today it is.  Too many hoops to jump thru.  I know I can get a test at one of the drug stores but I thought being vaccinated was going to be enough.

Sorry for your loss 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I know I can get a test at one of the drug stores but I thought being vaccinated was going to be enough.

Exactly my thought as well.  We did our part and its still not good enough.   

Edited by ryano
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Sorry you’re in this predicament.

Maybe you can find a rapid test site in Seattle? I know we have them in NJ.

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Can you check a CVS in Seattle near the port to see if you can schedule a test there? And maybe your TA can call Royal and ask what would happen if you can’t get the test? Since they were making the non vaccinated test before boarding and during a cruise, they should have some quick tests there.  Sorry this is happening to you.

Thank you 🙂 At this point Im checking for rapid testing at both ATL and SEA airports and any others in the downtown Seattle area.  I saw where you can do rapid testing at SEA by appt for 250.00

8 minutes ago, ryano said:

Thank you 🙂 At this point Im checking for rapid testing at both ATL and SEA airports and any others in the downtown Seattle area.  I saw where you can do rapid testing at SEA by appt for 250.00

Glad to hear it! I’m hoping it works out for you. I’d save that receipt and try to get some kind of compensation for it from Royal since they gave such short notice and seem to be out of touch with where we are with testing at the moment in this country. 

Enjoy your cruise!

27 minutes ago, ryano said:

Oh boy… CVS does them here in Florida for free. What about Walgreens?

4 hours ago, RFerrington said:

@kearneysometimes it's hard to see, but I believe that things turn out they way they do for a reason.  Hopefully something wonderful will happen b/c you are home to receive it OR you will avoid something awful by not going.  In the meantime, it is hard to not be disappointed.  I know.  Only good thoughts for you !!

Thanks, I probably shouldn't have unburdened myself on this site...but just had to get it out. We knew when we signed up that this could turn out to be the worst cruise ever...but were tired of staying home. So as the changes occurred we were willing to go with the flow...but at some point I realized that the compromises we had made did not balance out. First of all DH hates flying and making him take two separate flights to get to and from... was already in the unacceptable but will deal with it category.. in order to have a normal cruising experience... then the testing...okay.. I found I could get that locally... then the need to get testing earlier than expected.. okay.. a little bit trickier...but at least the health visa could be done in advance... for us the change was masking. It makes no sense... are they really saying we can sit in a lounge maskless...but around the rest of the ship no... what because there are a few kids below 12? We have wandered far from science into full panic we don't know what we are doing mode. So we will stay home and hopefully in a few weeks the surge will pass and logic will return. I am now thinking that it makes more sense to book last minute... stress reduced to a few weeks vs months of wondering. We used to do that and frankly saved more than our earlier planned cruises...of course you need to be very flexible in terms of timing, itinerary and cabin type and location..but it might be worth it... also we will be driving... no AA issues then.. Thanks for your best wishes and I really do want everyone to have a truly wonderful time... the country and world deserves a few days off..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

Welcome to the club.... perhaps in a few months when things calm down we will all be cruising again

• Like 1

We just cancelled a November cruise on OAS and booked a cruise on Allure for April 2022 instead. We are getting our NRD refunded back to us. So the cruise with confidence policy works for nonrefundable deposits. It was before final payment so we were only concerned about the deposit.

We just don’t think things will be resolved with COVID by the November cruise and hope that by the spring things will be much better for cruising. We actually prefer the Western Caribbean itinerary of the April cruise and prefer departing from Ft. Lauderdale over Miami. It’s also a little less price-wise, so a win-win all around. The only downside is waiting a few more months to get back on a cruise ship. But we feel that is the best decision for us.

5 hours ago, nyllrap said:

I was able to get an appointment at the CVS in Winter Springs Fl on 8/19.  Booked it this morning and it's an Antigen test.  Check their website.  I live in St Augustine so it will be a drive for us, but nothing available in my area.  Good Luck.

Just now, vegas7df said:

I was able to get an appointment at the CVS in Winter Springs Fl on 8/19.  Booked it this morning and it's an Antigen test.  Check their website.  I live in St Augustine so it will be a drive for us, but nothing available in my area.  Good Luck.

I did see that, but my husband didn't want to. We cancelled. He was also worried we would get there and they would not have the test supplies for that day. I would have made the drive, but he thought it was best to cancel. Plus the mask thing...I don't breathe well in them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nyllrap said:

Delta is spreading right through the vaccine. That is why it is required (mask/test). The science is there now. Just like the flu- get your shot every year because of a new variant. Cancelling is the way. Everyone should unless they live near port but Royal seems to be cancelling their own cruises anyway.

55 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

Delta is spreading right through the vaccine. That is why it is required (mask/test). The science is there now. Just like the flu- get your shot every year because of a new variant. Cancelling is the way. Everyone should unless they live near port but Royal seems to be cancelling their own cruises anyway.

At a rate that is little to no concern. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 3:14 PM, pcur said:

I just posted on another thread about home testing coordinated with an emed.com lab technician, and the results are shown in an app on your iphone.  Tests come in a 6-pack for $150, which is cheaper that RCCL's single test.

RCL stated explicitly no at home test, but perhaps this one since it is proctored wouldn't qualify as such.

However, even if it were accepted, I would be uneasy doing it for the simple fact that you are relying on the USPS to deliver your test in a timely manner.  I do not have that level of comfort with the post office.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

RCL stated explicitly no at home test, but perhaps this one since it is proctored wouldn't qualify as such.

However, even if it were accepted, I would be uneasy doing it for the simple fact that you are relying on the USPS to deliver your test in a timely manner.  I do not have that level of comfort with the post office.

The test I'm referring to uses an app to communicate the results to emed.com, and they verify.

BUT, I pulled the plug on my November cruise out of Galveston.  Having to do the test on Thanksgiving Day is a hassle.  Otherwise, CVS can do it, but Kaiser won't reimburse me the $130 cost.  Too many problems.  I am now on hold with my TA moving the reservation over to the Navi out of San Pedro in January.  

• Like 1

Look if Covid's Delta variant is effectively prevented by masking... great.... but it seems to me social distancing is even more important... and given that you need to fly to get to Nassau... another good reason to cancel is the prospect of sitting shoulder to shoulder with people of unknown vaccine status... and then you go on a ship with virtually everyone vaccinated and have to wander the promenade wearing a mask... 

27 minutes ago, pcur said:

The test I'm referring to uses an app to communicate the results to emed.com, and they verify.

BUT, I pulled the plug on my November cruise out of Galveston.  Having to do the test on Thanksgiving Day is a hassle.  Otherwise, CVS can do it, but Kaiser won't reimburse me the $130 cost.  Too many problems.  I am now on hold with my TA moving the reservation over to the Navi out of San Pedro in January.  

So CVS is considered an out of network provider for Kaiser? The CARES act passed in March required medical insurance providers from charging for the test but I do think their is an exception for out of network provides, mostly to protect them from some of these labs setting up testing sites to screw people on last minute test needs. We live in CA and have a test scheduled with CVS next week. We are not with Kaiser and did have to provide an insurance card but the out of pocket is free. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, erber said:

We just cancelled a November cruise on OAS and booked a cruise on Allure for April 2022 instead. We are getting our NRD refunded back to us. So the cruise with confidence policy works for nonrefundable deposits. It was before final payment so we were only concerned about the deposit.

We just don’t think things will be resolved with COVID by the November cruise and hope that by the spring things will be much better for cruising. We actually prefer the Western Caribbean itinerary of the April cruise and prefer departing from Ft. Lauderdale over Miami. It’s also a little less price-wise, so a win-win all around. The only downside is waiting a few more months to get back on a cruise ship. But we feel that is the best decision for us.

Glad to hear this.  Our Oasis cruise is November 28th booked with a NRD way back in October, 2019.  I want to change our cruise also.

Edited by mek

1 hour ago, mek said:

Glad to hear this.  Our Oasis cruise is November 28th booked with a NRD way back in October, 2019.  I want to change our cruise also.

Our original cruise was for Nov 2020 on Oasis. Then we lifted and shifted that one to Nov 2021 ... Now we cancelled 2021 cruise and booked April 2022 on the Allure. The first cruise that started all this was booked well before covid!

Edited by erber