The Daily for Thursday September 09, 2021

richwmn

Today is Teddy Bear Day, International Sudoku Day, and Wonderful Weirdos Day

I don't deserve any credit for turning the other cheek as my tongue is always in it. - Flannery O'Connor

Meal suggestion for today - Skillet Meat and Cheese Pasta

Drink of the Day - Tommy's Margarita

Wine of the day - Liminal 2018 High Canyon Series WeatherEye Vineyard Grenache (Red Mountain) Columbia Valley

Destination of the Day - Whittier Alaska US

Ships with Passengers

Argostolion (Kefalonia)
Eurodam

Ketchikan, AK
Nieuw Amsterdam 07:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea English Channel
Rotterdam Destination Ijmuiden NL eta 9/10

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Zuiderdam Drifting

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Noordam Anchorage

Puerto Vallarta MX
Westerdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Amchorage0909Europe.thumb.png.6dcfb2b0c811a7e389351d22fe6d5d5d.png

0909Alaska.thumb.png.d7d8943f2555a38b03f90f93705b9b85.png

0909Namerica.thumb.png.9b8756ec139bc8b558338eca7ed246b4.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  Early today.  Interesting set of days, I especially love Sudoku .  Strange quote from O'Connor.  The meal sounds nice.  I've been to Whittier just once, on the Alaska Ferry Kennicott.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC and Lake Tahoe) wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
JAM37 DH fighting Covid but contuing to show improvement
Allen (Seasick Sailor DH) awaiting biopsoy results
dfish friend Donna in hip surgery instead of cruising
StLouisCruiser awaiting Friday larngoscopy
Lady Hudson’s BIL recovering from nasty fall
From the rotation:
irishjim awaiting surgery for ear cancer September 14
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard RGEDad
2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
good pathology for durangoscots
Cruisin single’s conversation with radiologist (and negative covid test)
3 days for dfish and negative
New car for Vmax1700
Notseh2o visit with mom
Overhead Fred at the Cottage and negative
HorizonChaser1957 free of timeshare
Getaway for segarsmoker
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, everyone!

I am leaving for Michigan in about an hour.   I'll pick up my sister and we'll stay at a hotel near the airport tonight so we can make our 6:00 am flight tomorrow morning.  I can't describe how excited I am!   

Today's meal sounds like perfect comfort food.  It is a little too carb heavy for me, but with the right substitution for the pasta, I'd be ok.  I might throw some mushrooms in along with eggplant and zucchini to replace the pasta.  

https://www.5boysbaker.com/skillet-meat-cheese-pasta/

30-minute-Skillet-Meat-Cheese-Pasta-858x1024.thumb.jpg.949f9558fba907b8f4d3b906d5f44ab9.jpg

Jacqui will be posting the daily meal for me while I'm gone.   I want to give her a huge thank you! @kazu.  This is a wonderful community we have created here on CC.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  I still have my childhood teddy bear.  I was playing Soduko daily at the start of the pandemic but stopped.  Why has Weird Al Yankovic popped into my head this early?  Funny quote by by Flannery whose work I love.    Will pass on today’s dish.  I haven’t been to today’s port so I’ll have to visit through photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today.

• Like 21

Good morning all from rainy NJ - was pretty heavy overnight, but they say it should taper off this morning.  It is the price we will pay for what is supposed to be a beautiful weekend coming up.

Love a good teddy bear - I still have the one that my husband gave me when we first started dating over 35 years ago.  Sudoku frustrates me, but it is one of the puzzle types my son loves best.  Wonderful weirdos day sounds interesting, but I think rather than the term 'weirdo' which carries a negative connotation, I'll consider it Exceptional Eccentrics day.  

When I first read the meal of the day I truly wondered 'which meat and cheese pasta dish?' I have quite a few in my recipe box that use a variety of meats and cheeses.  The recipe that @dfish posted reminds me of one that we ate a lot as a kid growing up...only we called it 'pasta with quickie sauce'.  Takes me back for sure!

Would likely enjoy today's drink - love a good margarita, but hold the salt.  Today's wine would also be a great choice.

Alaska is a trip we plan to take in the future once I have retired as it will likely be a good 2-3 week trip.  Looking forward to seeing the photos of the grandeur of that place by those of you who have visited in the past.

Wishing you all a splendid day...celebrate the victories, big and small!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning,  I, too, have my childhood teddy bear.  REALLY old.  I never got the hang of Sudoku.  There have been some wonderful weirdos in my life so I will celebrate them today.  I don't understand the O'Connor quote.  The meal looks so good, will save this recipe for another time.  Have not been to Whittier, can't wait for the photo's from those who have.

Toasts and prayers for our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear yourl mask.

Tommy's Margarita:

Ingredients
2 ounces blanco tequila
1 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce agave nectar
Garnish: salt rim

Steps
Rim a rocks glass with salt and set it aside.
Add the tequila, lime juice and agave nectar to a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
Strain over fresh ice into the prepared glass.

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 3.12.58 PM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning everyone from a rainy Virginia. Thank you Rich for the Daily Report and thank you Roy for the Cares Report. Looking forward to our upcoming cruise to Mexico and revisiting the tequila distillery in Puerto Vallarta.  UAL has changed our flights to SAN for the third time!

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 18

I don't have a sunrise for September 9 so I'm going to September 14 from the 2012 Crystal Symphony transatlantic beset by storms.  It was truly stormy on September 14 but I stepped out on the sheltered aft deck for the sunrise:

dawn14.jpg

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I have a black teddy bear sitting on one of our living room chairs. I bought it at Kohl's when I bought our grandson one along with a matching book. He is very appropriate for living in the mountains of North Georgia.

I enjoy most word and number puzzles including sudoku.

The meal looks good as well as comforting.

DH said last night that he does not feel as winded when walking from one room to another. I was ecstatic to hear that.

As the day past the pain in my back lessened. It helped me forget about it for a while when we booked a short cruise for February. 🎉 Not on a BHB, so I'm not sure it's okay to mention other lines here. (I will be on the NA in December.)

Wishing you all a terrific day.

Prayers and praises for those on our lists.

• Like 24

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another interesting combo of days.

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family. Bon voyage, Debbie! @dfishsafe travels. Hope you and Susan enjoy yourselves. 

Bindi and I got caught in an early morning deluge, so I need to get her out to walk. PT went well yesterday. I could ride the bike without a problem. I even worked up a sweat. Some of the other exercises were tougher. My homework is to do them 2-3 times each day at home. If Friday goes as well as yesterday, then I am going to “unfreeze” my gym account. I can use the stationary bike and some machines. No classes, until I can get down on & up from the floor safely. 

Tonight I will toast to all the negative tests, “all clear” and “nothing to worry about now” results!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone. 

Liminal 2018 High Canyon Series WeatherEye Vineyard Grenache (Red Mountain) 

This inaugural red from Washington’s Columbia Valley has superb ratings. But it is not easy to find & it is pricey. It is outside my budget at $79.99, but it sounds lovely. 

WE97

Sourced from this site high atop Red Mountain, the 2018 ‘WeatherEye Vineyard’ Grenache was aged for sixteen months in neutral puncheons and barriques before bottling. Pretty red rose petals mingle with orange rind, red cherry candy and underbrush tones on the nose. The palate is silky smooth, giving off an incredible sense of elegance. Lithe and light on its feet, this dances across the mid-palate delivering red rose water and cran-orange tones alongside a wonderful veil of tension and lighter damp earth and garrigue undertones. The seamless texture and gratifying length really add to the drinking experience as this beautiful wine has another decade or more ahead of it. Drink 2020-2032

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Thursday smile 🙂 

Great combination of days.  Teddy bears are dear memories for many of us and still hung on to by other.  Sudoku has a lot of fans and I too prefer the term eccentrics to weirdos 😉 

The O’Connor quote needs interpretation.  I’m reading it that he doesn’t turn his other cheek - not sure if that’s right or not.

That meal suggestion sounds good.  I’ll save it for another day as we will be having left over lasagna tonight, I think.

@JAM37it’s good to hear that your DH is continuing to improve and that you back is improving 👍 Yay on booking a cruise - I think it is fine to say what ship you are going on whether it’s a BHB or not 😉 

@dfishsafe travels today and I hope you and your sister have a great visit and a great cruise 🙂. Bon Voyage 🚢 

After some of the wonderful anniversaries being celebrated of so many years, when I saw this one, I had to share:

821BF6BC-F95E-4ADD-940D-951273EDD62F.thumb.jpeg.dfc560a30288cc9360488d691965c4de.jpeg

Rain is coming later today and we will be drenched again tomorrow thanks to Larry and a system colliding from the west.  We really don’t need more rain, really, we don’t.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them & 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone !!!!!!

7A9B5398-8E8F-46BE-BFE5-ACF8CE6AD73F.jpeg.011e59bada976140e49f65611a98b5db.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Thank you for today's daily and care reports Rich and Roy,you both do a fantastic job.

It is 13.00pm 70°F and sunny here.

We had a light breakfast early this morning in the Garden Room.

Interesting days.

Pauline loves her Teddy Bears but always brings one of her  Monkeys with us every where we go 

The bears have taken over one of our spare rooms.

I have never played Sudocu and try to avoid weirdos.

Nice food and drink.

We have never seen today's port so interested to see photos.

Take care everyone.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and happy cruising everyone who is going soon.

Graham.

IMG_20210909_120228.jpg

IMG_20210909_123329.jpg

Screenshot_20210909_125401.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Today's alternate menu selection is again from the "Crystal Classics" section of the menu. 

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/menu0909.pdf

On September 8, 2016 my choices were Chicken Consume with Buckwheat Celestine, Roasted Kosher Chicken Half with Vichy Carrots, Potato Pancake and Applesauce, as served on Crystal Serenity September 9, 2016:

kosher.jpg

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Even though the weather is Ok, the ocean is churned up! Big waves, heavy surf and riptides. Not a good combo. Hope people pay attention.

Never got the hang of Soduko, and I have always loved teddy bears.

@dfish Safe travels and have a wonderful cruise! Looking forward to your report.

Alaska is a favorite and have been to many ports but not Whittier. Look forward to pictures.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 21

Good  morning to  all. It  is  raining  here  today  and  I  must  admit we  now  worry  about  rain  as  the  ground  is  so  saturated. Teddy  Bears deserve  their day. I  prefer  crosswords  to sudoku   and  will cast  my  vote  to  the  eccentric

@cat shepard, It  sounds  like  great progress from  your  PT  sessions. Do  you  still  have  swelling  and/or pain? It  is  a  remarkable  recovery!

@dfish, Bon  Voyage!   and  thanks @kazu,  for  keeping  us  in  recipes.

Today  I  am  making  vegetarian  chili  with  cornbread as  the  whole  group  will  convene  at  my  house  tonight. l  will bring  Tana  back  here  after  her  afternoon  PT  session. I  think  she  has  made  strides  this  week  in  all  areas  and  does  not  appear to  be  as  fatigued.  It  seems  we  can  all  take  a  deep  breath.

We  were  cruising  with  friends  in  Alaska  and  drove to  Whittier. I  might  even  have  a  picture and  remember  it  as  a  beautiful  clear  day.

Terry

• Like 21

Morning everyone.  The sun is out for a change this morning.  We've had way too much rain this summer, too!  But I suppose that's better than a drought.  Funny group of days to celebrate.  I love Teddy Bears but don't really have one and can't remember having one as a child.  My folks must have thought stuffed animals were a waste of money and were very frugal.  Thank goodness I don't feel deprived!  I enjoy playing sudoku but am not a speedy player.  As long as I get it finished correctly it's a win-win for me.  Wonderful Weirdos Day?  How about that quote?  I consider it a little weird, or maybe eccentric.  The dish today looks and sounds good so thanks for that Debbie @dfish.  You're probably on your way to Michigan now so have a safe trip up and enjoy your cruise.  We will be cheering you and Susan on.

@kazuJacqui, love the memes today!  So cute.  @richwmnI appreciate your work in preparing the Daily each day.  What would we think if we came to CC and there was no Daily?  Panic would ensue!  A great group of Celebrations today @rafinmd.  I feel the Care list is slightly smaller, or at least smaller than the Celebration list so that's a good thing.  The prayers must be working!  

We went to Whittier twice.  In 2009 we did B2B 7 day Alaska cruises roundtrip Vancouver so had turnaround day there.  Then in 2010 we ended up there after an Asian cruise that began in Bangkok (Laem Chabang).  So we just got on a bus and headed to the airport to fly home.  I only have a couple of pictures so I'll post those next.  

• Like 22

As mentioned in my first post today, the only time I have been to Whittier is on the Alaska ferry.  Here's the ferry terminal, I think a couple of miles from the cruise terminal:

whittier.jpg

Whittier is accessed from Anchorage by a single lane tunnel which rotates on a schedule between traffic in one direction, then the other and trains.  On the way into Anchorage we passed Porter GlacierL

portage.jpg

Roy

• Like 25

I see we have some photos already and there isn't much to see in Whittier as you can see.  I checked and the population of Whittier is about 205 people (2020).  The entire town lives in the high rise building seen in the photos.  They have grocery store and other services in the building itself so they don't even need to step outside most of the time.  I would assume the majority of the people work at the harbor with ships coming in or boat charters or fishing.  

This is what the town looks like in May with the snow still on the mountains.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLq1jzKwglVfC8qdCSnrzVS4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011392

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIYO6y_QvHyVBu4xSIJAXZwV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011387

Like I said before on the 2010 trip we were heading to the airport so this is about all we saw.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKJY_LCb4xovP0hX--QNyzY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011386

I'm not sure what this building is but it looks like it would work great as a restaurant and hotel.  I wonder how many people actually come here to spend the night though?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIq2I0V3_k3qtoS0T7LXoyo4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011397

This photo was taken Sept. 12, 2009 on our B2B.  Notice the lack of snow.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIu16TT94kF6i0Bol3eKrGL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188336

The high rise residential building00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJCPoNg8ZBdAjATm-0RyemY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188339

Rainy weather is common here.  In this photo you see the road from Anchorage and even buses coming toward the ship with new passengers ready to embark.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLJ1jIpuZwa8O-_Ni835HWx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188345

The mists which are probably common here.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ3HUI9vRCzuIu5-XSWqDd8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188349

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrrzDOxlFw_KR1qbKQzmcT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188356

A truckful of luggage coming probably from the cruise line hotel in Anchorage.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI1HIxnoTpdi-nP6HZ6gccS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188362

If anyone has actually gotten off the ship and walked around the "town" please enlighten us as to what you have seen.  I would love to know, and if I ever get back to Whittier I'll get off the ship even if it is raining.  I promise!

• Like 28

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists.

It's a sunny 82 degrees (F) here this morning.

I agree with those who have suggested using the term "eccentric" rather than weirdo. But I am very pleased to have a special day to recognize them. They are called names because they are a bit different. They see the world in a different way - and thank goodness for them. They are the artists, the poets, the inventors, the musicians who contribute so much. Thanks for the "different" or eccentric people out there.

I love the meal suggestion. As a pasta fanatic, I will definitely try that recipe..

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  Early today.  Interesting set of days, I especially love Sudoku .  Strange quote from O'Connor.  The meal sounds nice.  I've been to Whittier just once, on the Alaska Ferry Kennicott.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC and Lake Tahoe) wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
JAM37 DH fighting Covid but contuing to show improvement
Allen (Seasick Sailor DH) awaiting biopsoy results
dfish friend Donna in hip surgery instead of cruising
StLouisCruiser awaiting Friday larngoscopy
Lady Hudson’s BIL recovering from nasty fall
From the rotation:
irishjim awaiting surgery for ear cancer September 14
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard RGEDad
2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
good pathology for durangoscots
Cruisin single’s conversation with radiologist (and negative covid test)
3 days for dfish and negative
New car for Vmax1700
Notseh2o visit with mom
Overhead Fred at the Cottage and negative
HorizonChaser1957 free of timeshare
Getaway for segarsmoker
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy, Thank ypu for both lists.  

• Like 6

Top of the morning Rich. Thank you and thanks to Roy, Jacqui and Food and beverage ladies. A great team!

Bon Voyage Debbie. You'll have a wonderful time! Ann happy to know you are back to the gym. Be careful and don't overdo it.

I gave all my toys and dolls away when we moved last year. I kept one little muskrat teddy bear Allen bought on our last Alaska cruise a few year's back. 

image.png.7842479ea29e69e89fd5953dd82211bd.png

I will tell you the outcome when I get the call this morning. Last night I got an email to offer going from a balcony to a vista suite. I called and the HAL agent said the prices went DOWN and we'd probably break even. The Seattle office was already closed and I am supposed to get a call today. I'm skeptical. I've never heard of a deal that good.. Stay tuned. 

Mahjongg tonight. Dinner will be ribs, potato salad and my girlfriend made panna cotta and will bring it tonight.

Wishing every one a blessed day. Prayers and Cheers!

• Like 20