The Daily for Thursday September 09, 2021

richwmn

59 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Colin, I was going to mention that I took Fosamax (a bisphosphonate like Alendronate) for about 20 years, once a week, and now I am on a different  drug, Prolia  (denosumab) which is injected every 6 months.  I've been on that for about 6 years (5 years and then a "rest" for a couple of years). I think Zolendronic Acid is also a  bisphosphonate.  I have found it so much nicer to just have the injection every 6 months.  Much easier on the stomach!

@VMax1700That's my story also - but I've been on Prolia since 2012 - also coming from once-a-week Fosamax. No bad reaction to the Prolia including the first shot. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

A very late good afternoon from central Texas.  What was supposed to be a quick trip to the big box store 22 miles from our house, turned in to an almost all day affair.  The store, was out of a lot of things on my list, and had many empty shelves.  After I got everything put away that I did find, DH and I headed to the big box store 35 miles away.  What a difference, as I found what I needed and not empty shelves.  It might be worth it to just start there when I do need to go to the bigger store, which is not very often.

I have now caught up on the Daily.  My father kept my teddy bear for years after I married, but I think it disapppeared when he and my stepmother moved into her house.  I have never figured out Sudoku, but I like crossword puzzles.  I don't mind the word weirdo as I think some people think I'm one.  🤣

Today's quote is a strange one, and is open to interpretation.

I like the drink and the wine, just wish it wasn't so pricey.  I'm going to save the recipe for a day when I need a quick meal.

@dfish  Debbie I hope you had a safe trip to Michigan and have a good flight tomorrow.  I know you and Susan will have a wonderful cruise.

@JAM37  Julia, you have quite a bit to celebrate.  Good news that DH is not as winded when he walks and your back is better.. Cheers on the new cruise you booked.

@kazu  Jacqui, as always, I love the memes.  Thank you for stepping to be pinch-hit for Debbie with the recipes.

@cat shepard  Ann, it good to hear that the PT is going so well.

@smitty34877  Terry, I was good to hear that the PT seems to be helping Tana.  She sure deserves a break.

@kb961373  Sorry you were exposed to Covid.  Hope the test is negative and you hear soon.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, hope you hear good news about the upgrade.  Sorry Allen's biopsies were postive, but I'm sure he is in good hands.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thanks to Roy for our Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers to those on the Care list.

The morning got away from me, trying to catch up on laundry.  I think I might have figured out why my "like" button stops working if I'm away from whatever device on reading on for a while while reading a thread, like doing laundry, when I come back poof, it doesn't work.  Not sure what fix there is for that though.

I need to get back to the laundry.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 14

I bet you thought I didn't have any pictures from Whittier, but I do. 

What is now know as the Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel, was built by the Army and opened in 1943.  This allowed supplies to be moved into the interior year round.  The Army abandoned the tunnel in the 1960s and it became part of the Alaska highway system, and eventually underwent an up grade.

We have been there a few times, but never sailed into the port.  We have sailed into Anchorage on the 14 day cruise, doing b2b2bs.  At least once every time, we've driven to Whittier.  One year, probably before the tunnel opened to car traffic, we took the train into Whittier.  That day was cold, wet and windy.  We walked around town and reboarded the train.  It was also prepdigital.

Even today, since Whittier is a protected port, most supplies come through the port.  Rail cars are loaded on barges that have rails.  Once in port, the Alaska RR backs a train up to the barge and the cars are added to the train for the run into Anchorage and beyond. We watch some cars being unloaded, but I can't find the pictures.

In 2012, we did the 26 Glacier Cruise which we booked on our own.  We were lucky to get a rare, mostly sunny day.  Since we did not want to miss the boat, we got to Whittier early and drove around, but evidetly I did not take many pictures.

The approach into town as you leave the tunnel.

P1040528.thumb.JPG.52f8da12d335ca212f490f40f7e7072b.JPG

The building the Army built in the 1940s to house everyone in town.  It is now falling into ruin.

P1040526.thumb.JPG.aca765066a6a1c0f7aced398685883b1.JPG

The new building where the residents live is in the background of this picture taken from our tour boat in and in the distance was we drove into town.

P1040699.thumb.JPG.a484d5487badcdd41b2c6b38afa9ae59.JPG
DSC03282.thumb.JPG.319c6a6884edcaf6b20609290663dacf.JPG

In driving around Whittier, we found another oldie.  This is exactly like our first RV which we bought used in 1979.

P1040525.thumb.JPG.7df89f2c63a47d198926a070e7178ea2.JPG

A picture from the waterfrong area

DSC03283.thumb.JPG.97e7d963c90334c113d3480e612e3a22.JPG

Finally, our tour boat coming in to pick us up

P1040535.thumb.JPG.86bd308cc90dba4e547b9bc355aa8a3c.JPG

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

For Canadians out there and any American Daily friends that can get CBC or Gem on Demand…there is a show on tonight (2 episodes) called Race against  the Tides.  8 pm Atlantic time but you can watch on demand or set your PVR’s if it doesn’t meet your time schedule.

It’s set at New River Beach in NB (not that far from us) which is famous for it’s sand sculpture contests it holds annually.  And of course the sculptureers have to race against the tide that will come and wash away all their art.

The sculpture done there are fantastic and I suspect it could be a good series but can’t guarantee it.  My PVR is set to make sure I don’t miss it 😉 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

For Canadians out there and any American Daily friends that can get CBC or Gem on Demand…there is a show on tonight (2 episodes) called Race against  the Tides.  8 pm Atlantic time but you can watch on demand or set your PVR’s if it doesn’t meet your time schedule.

It’s set at New River Beach in NB (not that far from us) which is famous for it’s sand sculpture contests it holds annually.  And of course the sculptureers have to race against the tide that will come and wash away all their art.

I first heard it advertised on CBC radio, and last night saw an ad on TV for the program; I'm looking forward to watching it!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 7

Greetings, all.  Made it to Michigan safely and picked up Sue.  We stopped and had a great dinner of steak and ribs.  We're at the hotel near the airport.  It is a bit of a dump but we're together and starting our next adventure.  

@Seasick Sailor sorry about Allen's diagnosis but as others have said, he's in good hands.

BTW, Sue flunked her COVID test, too.  More reason to celebrate.

• Like 20

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

Greetings, all.  Made it to Michigan safely and picked up Sue.  We stopped and had a great dinner of steak and ribs.  We're at the hotel near the airport.  It is a bit of a dump but we're together and starting our next adventure.  

@Seasick Sailor sorry about Allen's diagnosis but as others have said, he's in good hands.

YAY that you are there safely 👍 

And you are right, you are together and that’s what counts.  Have a fantastic time.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oopsie, got caught up with @VMax1700 and forgot to post my sweet husband's biopsy. Positive on both spots. Luckily they are squamous. His ear needs our MOHS surgeon but his back can be done by his Dermatologist. Bookings are into October. 

Joy, so sorry to read this news. Prayers winging their way. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Glad you made it to Michigan safely.  Glad Sue also flunked her test.  Now, the adventure begins.

Lenda

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I think I might have figured out why my "like" button stops working if I'm away from whatever device on reading on for a while while reading a thread, like doing laundry, when I come back poof, it doesn't work.

That started happening to me as well, I find that if I refresh the screen the problem gets resolved.

• Like 6

Well, I thought about that Jagerschnitzel all night, and today realized i had all the ingredients in the house.  So I have made it, and there is a tremendous amount of the mushroom and bacon sauce - do you think I could freeze some?  It is much too much for two mingy pork chops.  

IMG_5844.thumb.JPG.e7062e1401fa52651ff052563449a437.JPG

IMG_5845.thumb.JPG.24623bcdeb082a1688014461aa5a2ca7.JPG

• Like 12

14 hours ago, dfish said:

I am leaving for Michigan in about an hour.   I'll pick up my sister and we'll stay at a hotel near the airport tonight so we can make our 6:00 am flight tomorrow morning.  I can't describe how excited I am!   

Have a wonderful time.  Safe travels.

• Like 4

We have been booked on the Noordam for three 14 day back to backs in Asia starting 14 February 2022.  Today HAL notified me that they have cancelled the first 14 day starting 14 February.  No word on the following cruises.  They are offering to transfer me to a similar cruise starting 13 February 2023.  Guess I will just wait to see what happens next.

Finally got the second of my new hearing aids today.  What a difference to have two working hearing aids.  Am hearing things for the first time.  Not always a good thing as I didn't know we had so much traffic noise at our house.

• Like 6

Some clarification on Noordam cruises.  The info was there, but I didn't click on the replacement cruise section.  All three of the cruises we booked are cancelled.  The replacement cruises will be on the Westerdam.  Looks like the Noordam will be in Australia/New Zealand in January and February 2022 rather than in the Japan area.  Kind of interesting that the Noordam cruises are replacing a 42 day cruise package we had on the Westerdam when the pandemic started; now we have the option of going back to the Westerdam.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Some clarification on Noordam cruises.  The info was there, but I didn't click on the replacement cruise section.  All three of the cruises we booked are cancelled.  The replacement cruises will be on the Westerdam.  Looks like the Noordam will be in Australia/New Zealand in January and February 2022 rather than in the Japan area.  Kind of interesting that the Noordam cruises are replacing a 42 day cruise package we had on the Westerdam when the pandemic started; now we have the option of going back to the Westerdam.

Will be very surprised if  Noordam is here (NZ) January/February 2022.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Well, I thought about that Jagerschnitzel all night, and today realized i had all the ingredients in the house.  So I have made it, and there is a tremendous amount of the mushroom and bacon sauce - do you think I could freeze some?  It is much too much for two mingy pork chops.  

IMG_5844.thumb.JPG.e7062e1401fa52651ff052563449a437.JPG

IMG_5845.thumb.JPG.24623bcdeb082a1688014461aa5a2ca7.JPG

Looks delish as I’m trying to lose post cruise weight gain! Also looks great if I was skinny!

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for all the daily news, photos and good humour.

Got rid of many teddy bears when we moved 2  houses ago, kept the Steiff bear and a bear who is labelled "Genius at Work", which I gave DH many years ago.!!

Today had lunch in town, after doing some messages in the CBD.  Most people in town were wearing masks, it is compulsory to wear them inside buildings.

Auckland remains locked down, but the rest of the country has some freedom.

@dfish and @Cruising-along Bon Voyage to you both, enjoy your time on the BHB.

@JAM37pleased that your DH is improving and that your back is also.  How super to book a new cruise.

@kb4683sorry thst you have come into contact with a covid positive person, hope your test will be negative and that you do not have to wait too long for the result.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Definitely freezable!  Looks yummy.....

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks to everyone for all the daily news, photos and good humour.

Got rid of many teddy bears when we moved 2  houses ago, kept the Steiff bear and a bear who is labelled "Genius at Work", which I gave DH many years ago.!!

Today had lunch in town, after doing some messages in the CBD.  Most people in town were wearing masks, it is compulsory to wear them inside buildings.

Auckland remains locked down, but the rest of the country has some freedom.

@dfish and @Cruising-along Bon Voyage to you both, enjoy your time on the BHB.

@JAM37pleased that your DH is improving and that your back is also.  How super to book a new cruise.

@kb4683sorry thst you have come into contact with a covid positive person, hope your test will be negative and that you do not have to wait too long for the result.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

Thank you, I sure wish I could be cruising in a couple days with Debbie! But no, I’m meeting her for lunch tomorrow in Seattle before her cruise Saturday. 

I have to wait 2 weeks for my cruise. 🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you, I sure wish I could be cruising in a couple days with Debbie! But no, I’m meeting her for lunch tomorrow in Seattle before her cruise Saturday. 

I have to wait 2 weeks for my cruise. 🙂

Sorry, my mistake, enjoy your lunch, the 2 weeks will soon pass until your cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thursday evening here, and this is the first opportunity I have had today to read the Daily. 

My teddy is 62 years old. He was given to me on my tenth birthday, as my brother had thrown my previously much loved teddy over the balcony of the block of flats we lived in, and I never saw Ted again. My mother went to the famous Hamleys toy shop in London and travelled home on the bus with Ted sitting next to her!  He is wearing one of my sister’s baby dresses and wooly Christmas socks, as his feet were wearing out! He lives on a chair in the spare bedroom. 
Best wishes to all.

61AC2998-BB60-4F05-AE2A-9755E4E5C239.thumb.jpeg.587a908ad4ebbfbaa42ea01bff0f9a4c.jpeg

• Like 11