The Daily for Thursday September 23, 2021

richwmn

Low and behold it was 58 degrees F. this morning! With the FDA giving the OK for a Pfizer Booster last night we jumped online and got scheduled for our Booster shots this Friday at our local CVS. Figured there could be a rush to get the booster by the over 65 crowd.

Will be taking advantage of this, cool morning and heading out for a walk.

Thanks Rich for your loyal post and to all enjoy the day. Graham I do hope your surgery is successful.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Still on Mobile time, I woke early but it was so cold out I talked myself into going back to bed for an hour. My oldest will come help get some things ready for winter this weekend as we are already getting 30s at night. 
Thanks Rich and all. I value the people who post here and keep it positive. 

• Like 20

3 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Still on Mobile time, I woke early but it was so cold out I talked myself into going back to bed for an hour. My oldest will come help get some things ready for winter this weekend as we are already getting 30s at night. 
Thanks Rich and all. I value the people who post here and keep it positive. 

Thank you!  We appreciate and value you as well!  Getting 30s at night this weekend sounds crazy already, doesn't it?  Do you have a wood stove?  If so, yes I guess it's time to get the wood supply replenished.  Enjoy your oldest's visit this weekend and don't work too hard.🙂

• Like 18

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you!  We appreciate and value you as well!  Getting 30s at night this weekend sounds crazy already, doesn't it?  Do you have a wood stove?  If so, yes I guess it's time to get the wood supply replenished.  Enjoy your oldest's visit this weekend and don't work too hard.🙂

No wood stove. I decided I was getting too old to worry about cutting, splitting, and stacking firewood so treated myself to a bigger propane tank and a new furnace. I hope to stay warm and toasty this winter when I’m not out cruising. 16 days until I’m back on a BHB. I’m thinking positive about how great this winter will be. 

• Like 23

Good morning!  Interesting set of days.

@lindaler, you are encouraging me to keep my Panama Canal cruise.  Winter could be good when we get out of the cold.  I have a Hawaii trip planned immediately before the PC on the Zuiderdam.  We shall see.

Have to attend an out of town Red Cross meeting this morning..  About 60 miles, so will be leaving shortly!

Have a great day.

• Like 19

Good morning from a cool, sunny cenral Texas.  While our morning low is not as low as the northern areas, 53F is chilly for us this time of year.

Like everyone else, I think dogs in politics are better than a lot of the human politicans.  Two more presidential dogs came to mind, Him and Her, LBJ's beagles.  It's been so long snce I played checkers, I can't even rememeber when it was.  Everyone, not just the UK, should celebrat Fitness Day.

I really like Harvey Fierstein's quote.  I have made a portabello dish, but not sure about them as a burger.  A daiquiri would be nice, but I prefer a frozen strawberry daiquiri in the Crow's Nest of a BHB.  Will pass on the wine.

We stopped in Fiji on the P&O World Cruise in 2000, but it was a different island and beach area.  We were at Yasawa-I-Rara on Yasawa Island.

@tjcox9  Thank you for the pictures of today's port.  It looks very similar to the place where we stopped.

@grapau27 By now, Graham, you are probably getting ready for your cataract surgery.  All the best fo a good outcome.

@crazyforcats  I think your company made a wise decision in light of the continuing surge of the Delta variant.

@JAM37  Julia, I think you and your DH made a sensible decision about the projects.  In the meantime, enjoy your upcoming travels.

@kazu  Jacqui, I loved the memes, especially the dog meme, and after cleaning house yesterday, I can agree with the meme about the maid.  

@mamaofami  Carol, I know you are relieved about all the good news and progress San is making.

@St. Louis Sal  I'd vote for Fritz.

@lindaler  Great that your oldest will be there to help you get your place ready for winter.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

😉I'm late to the 'party' because I attended a going away one for my Dutch friends...besides moving, I found out they are taking the Oct. 6 cruise on the🚢 Eurodam but aren't part of CC. Wonder if they'll run into Tony and Martha??🤔

We've visited Dravuni Island twice and both times donated school supplies when visiting the classrooms. 📝📚

When I read today's quote, I thought of the 🎶 song by Tak Talk called It's My Life

🙏Prayers to all in need and wishing Graham @grapau27a successful surgery.

👍Thank you to Rich @richwmnfor The Daily and to Roy @rafinmdfor both the Care and Celebration Lists!

Katie

FB_IMG_1630850412163.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a cool, sunny cenral Texas.  While our morning low is not as low as the northern areas, 53F is chilly for us this time of year.

Like everyone else, I think dogs in politics are better than a lot of the human politicans.  Two more presidential dogs came to mind, Him and Her, LBJ's beagles.  It's been so long snce I played checkers, I can't even rememeber when it was.  Everyone, not just the UK, should celebrat Fitness Day.

I really like Harvey Fierstein's quote.  I have made a portabello dish, but not sure about them as a burger.  A daiquiri would be nice, but I prefer a frozen strawberry daiquiri in the Crow's Nest of a BHB.  Will pass on the wine.

We stopped in Fiji on the P&O World Cruise in 2000, but it was a different island and beach area.  We were at Yasawa-I-Rara on Yasawa Island.

@tjcox9  Thank you for the pictures of today's port.  It looks very similar to the place where we stopped.

@grapau27 By now, Graham, you are probably getting ready for your cataract surgery.  All the best fo a good outcome.

@crazyforcats  I think your company made a wise decision in light of the continuing surge of the Delta variant.

@JAM37  Julia, I think you and your DH made a sensible decision about the projects.  In the meantime, enjoy your upcoming travels.

@kazu  Jacqui, I loved the memes, especially the dog meme, and after cleaning house yesterday, I can agree with the meme about the maid.  

@mamaofami  Carol, I know you are relieved about all the good news and progress San is making.

@St. Louis Sal  I'd vote for Fritz.

@lindaler  Great that your oldest will be there to help you get your place ready for winter.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

I have just got home.

The anaesthetic and op took 30 minutes.

Consultant said the operation went really well and I am really happy.

I have antibiotic drops to put in my eye 3 times a day for 3 days and 2 other drops to put in 3 times a day for 3 weeks.

Thank you everyone for all the best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good morning all!

Fritz and I are in our favorite chair cuddled under an afghan because it’s only 49 degrees outside this morning 😳.

I vote for dogs in politics. In fact Fritz threw his hat in the ring during the last election and in the interest of diversity promised to choose a cat as his vice-president. He actually had quite a few votes committed. Checkers might have been a more honest president than Richard “I am not a crook” Nixon. As a game, checkers was not a favorite. Congrats to the UK for recognizing the importance of fitness. Love the Fierstein quote.

My kids would love today’s entree;  I would put the onion jam on a nice steakburger 😉. I love a daiquiri, I remember my dad ordering one at a restaurant in Florida back in the 50’s; he’d never had one and was curious. Will be interested in the wine description. Have never been to Fiji, bet the pictures from the lucky ones who’ve been there will be gorgeous.

Prayers for all on our care and concern list (thinking about you @grapau27this morning) 🙏. And celebrating with everyone today 🍷.

With theaters and our symphony reopening, I have planned a strenuous weekend! Friday night is a play by our local West End players (a semi-professional theatre group); the director is a friend of a friend. Saturday is “Jersey Boys” at Stages, our professional music theatre (just announced they will be doing the world premiere of “Karate Kid” in 2022).  And Sunday afternoon is the symphony. Along with dining out all three days, I will need to spend Monday in bed. My kids do all the wheelchair pushing, but getting up and down from the seats is a real workout for me (my version of fitness exercises). 

Take care all, 

St Louis Sal

p.s. Here is Fritz’s campaign picture. He had sort of promised the VP spot to my grandcat Iggy.

5FFA72CA-D173-48D8-953B-EAA055EDC276.jpeg

9E5A483B-D751-4D5E-A465-F0408EBB688C.jpeg

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

I have just got home and the op seems to have gone really well 

Graham.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, garlictown said:

😉I'm late to the 'party' because I attended a going away one for my Dutch friends...besides moving, I found out they are taking the Oct. 6 cruise on the🚢 Eurodam but aren't part of CC. Wonder if they'll run into Tony and Martha??🤔

We've visited Dravuni Island twice and both times donated school supplies when visiting the classrooms. 📝📚

When I read today's quote, I thought of the 🎶 song by Tak Talk called It's My Life

🙏Prayers to all in need and wishing Graham @grapau27a successful surgery.

👍Thank you to Rich @richwmnfor The Daily and to Roy @rafinmdfor both the Care and Celebration Lists!

Katie

FB_IMG_1630850412163.jpg

Thank you Katie.

Graham 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I have no sunrise for September 23 and I am going to September 18.  This was taken September 18, 2014. on a 6-day Carnival Fantasy cruise out of Charleston, SC.

dawn0918.jpg

Roy

Here are a couple of "sunrises" from September 23rd.

The first one is "Sunrise" from Ketchikan today:

IMG_2847.thumb.JPG.cfbce839db535e9f7402e136bfecdedf.JPG

The lady that lives across the street from the church where I pastor in Skykomish sent a picture of this morning's sunrise: 

IMG_2848.thumb.JPG.2e67b1956244e4abfef799da8b37c5ab.JPG

• Like 28

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Lenda.

I have just got home.

I have antibiotic drops to put in my eye 3 times a day for 3 days and 2 other drops to put in 3 times a day for 3 weeks.

Graham.

Wonderful news, Graham! Hope a celebratory meal is in your future!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Thursday smile 🙂 

Fun collection of days.  I was thinking of Checkers the dog as opposed to the game.  Sure fits with Dogs in Politics Day 😄  I would be willing to bet some dogs would be better than some politicians we have 😉 

957AE23B-78F1-4AB4-92DD-12805153E54C.jpeg.8d20c749a885efdfe2614c2e68170dc6.jpeg

I love that quote by Fierstein.  Words to live by!

The meal is intriguing.  Never had onion jam so I’ll wait for Debbie’s recipe - it should go well with the mushroom?  Maybe we’ll have this tonight?

31D4E2A7-7561-44EA-9CF8-D879AEE4AD02.jpeg.bf91efcefbee6e0afa832b4cbdbb07f4.jpeg

@JAM37you and your husband are wise to have him slowly build up his stamina and move the goal post for the jobs 😉 

@grapau27good luck with your cataract procedure today.

Busy day yesterday, we got our big shed completely cleaned out and gifted a bunch of stuff we no longer use.  And our boards that had to be replaced this spring in the deck have their first coat of stain.  I set up a blockade for the dogs so they don’t go on the stained boards and so far, so good 🤞 

A couple more begonias.  

69AC23AB-2F60-43EA-BC62-9AA7A2144379.thumb.jpeg.d122dd40cf2ca9a48e7f71a60d352d8f.jpeg

265447A6-3939-416E-8561-9D3F9FFFE102.thumb.jpeg.6d70b190a22353756a876bd3b6bcce2b.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone !!!!!!

116BC240-C60E-4D25-9FDA-B7C8B997E652.jpeg.d801c36efb38de6a06eb6e066a30a900.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷

3 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good luck with today's procedure. Beautiful dog.

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Prayers and good wishes to @grapau27Graham as he goes into his cataract surgery.  I know you're looking forward to better eyesight soon.  🙂

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning, All.  We're rested up after our Alaska cruise.  Cautionary tale:  We are used to much longer cruises, so behaved like real rookie cruisers for our one week -- way too much food and drink.  DH came home with off-the-charts blood pressure and he was very light-headed.  He takes BP medication so this was alarming.  None of us are getting any younger here.  Gotta watch it!

Anyhow, the cruise was great, we've recovered, and I'm hopelessly behind on Daily events.  But I do send hearty best wishes today for a successful surgery for @grapau27Graham.  Hope all goes well, Graham.

We used to make the portobello mushroom sandwiches, but somehow got out of the habit.   They're good!  Nice reminder to make that delicious veggie dinner.

@Sharon in AZ, we finally received official word of our itinerary change for California coast.  No surprise there, right?!  Love to hear from you to arrange a meet-up!  Email seaspray360 at post dot com

Have a great day, Everyone!  It's so nice that fall is here!  😊  🍁  🍂

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I haven't played checkers in a very long time; I think we'll have to introduce the DGS to the game when we get together.  Dogs in politics is an interesting scenario, as they like to please everyone.  Cats, on the other hand .  .  .    In honour of UK National Fitness day, I think I'll go for a walk around the block.

After all we did yesterday, late in the afternoon we realized our fountain was down to a trickle and it kept tripping the GFI plug.  DH spent a couple of hours taking things apart, checking wiring, and re-plugging things in.  He got everything working again, but is still uncertain as to what really happened.  All we know is that the northern robins are stopping by, using the top part of the fountain as their personal spa on their way south.

It's a beautiful fall day here on the "frozen tundra" with temperatures going up to about 16C (60F); at this time of year we can fluctuate anywhere between 0 and 28 in a matter of days, so we take each one as it comes.  Frankly, we'd love some of the rain that has been happening in Florida and Georgia, as it sounds like you've had way too much.   We haven't been to today's port, so look forward to more photos of that beautiful part of the world.

Today I'm heading out for lunch with a friend; I'll pick up sandwiches and drinks from a deli and we'll meet in a park on her lunch break.  It's such a beautiful time of year, we're going to enjoy the outdoors as long as we can.

I'm not a fan of today's menu suggestion; it's the texture, not the flavour.  If I'm having a hamburger, I want it to feel like hamburger, not like liver.  LOL  I love Roy's alternate, and realized we haven't had French toast in a very long time, so I've taken some bacon out of the freezer and we'll be having breakfast for dinner tonight.  And wine.

@JAM37 so glad you and DH had "the talk" and came to the understanding that the projects can wait until his health has been restored.  Sometimes men think they're  actually Superman in disguise, and it hurts to realize they're not.

@mamaofami happy to hear Sam is making great progress.

@grapau27wishing you the best of luck today with your procedure.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to cheer on all who are on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wear your masks, wash your hands, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thank you so much everyone for your well wishes and kind words.

You are all wonderful.

I am home now and the consultant said the operation went really well.

Graham.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Low and behold it was 58 degrees F. this morning! With the FDA giving the OK for a Pfizer Booster last night we jumped online and got scheduled for our Booster shots this Friday at our local CVS. Figured there could be a rush to get the booster by the over 65 crowd.

Will be taking advantage of this, cool morning and heading out for a walk.

Thanks Rich for your loyal post and to all enjoy the day. Graham I do hope your surgery is successful.

Thank you it seems to have been very successful.🙏

Graham. 

• Like 9

Good morning everyone am really  I am getting annoyed at CC. I usually have my coffee in a comfy chair in my family room and read through this thread and reply, but no go on my ipad anymore so I have to move into the bedroom and use my desktop. What's up with that?

We're expecting lots of rain in New Jersey today along with flash floods. Last time a storm came through, 96 homes down the street from me were flooded out. None of the homes around here have basements, so the water really does a number when it wants to.

Yesterday I managed to organize lots of the papers that were accumulating on my des, bed, and dresser. Still more to go today.

The news about Sam is really good. His warafin levels are up where they should be, he made eggs in the rehab's kitchen yesterday  and he says he's learning how to balance a tray so he can use the brand new Bar b q we bought right before he got sick. His ambitions are mighty and that motivation is helping him. His car is just sitting in the garage and due for inspection, but I can't get near the driver's seat because the kid's put a box spring and some other things against the wall in the garage. Since the car isn't going anywhere it will have to wait a while.

The info about the booster shots is so confusing. Since I got J and J in June, I figure I can wait till they come out with some advise on that.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

I'm happy to hear Sam is a lot better Carol.

Graham.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning, All.  We're rested up after our Alaska cruise.  Cautionary tale:  We are used to much longer cruises, so behaved like real rookie cruisers for our one week -- way too much food and drink.  DH came home with off-the-charts blood pressure and he was very light-headed.  He takes BP medication so this was alarming.  None of us are getting any younger here.  Gotta watch it!

Anyhow, the cruise was great, we've recovered, and I'm hopelessly behind on Daily events.  But I do send hearty best wishes today for a successful surgery for @grapau27Graham.  Hope all goes well, Graham.

We used to make the  portobello mushroom sandwiches, but somehow got out of the habit.   They're good!  Nice reminder to make that delicious veggie dinner.

@Sharon in AZ, we finally received official word of our itinerary change for California coast.  No surprise there, right?!  Love to hear from you to arrange a meet-up!  Email seaspray360 at post dot com

Have a great day, Everyone!  It's so nice that fall is here!  😊  🍁  🍂

Thank you for your kind wishes.

Graham.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I haven't played checkers in a very long time; I think we'll have to introduce the DGS to the game when we get together.  Dogs in politics is an interesting scenario, as they like to please everyone.  Cats, on the other hand .  .  .    In honour of UK National Fitness day, I think I'll go for a walk around the block.

After all we did yesterday, late in the afternoon we realized our fountain was down to a trickle and it kept tripping the GFI plug.  DH spent a couple of hours taking things apart, checking wiring, and re-plugging things in.  He got everything working again, but is still uncertain as to what really happened.  All we know is that the northern robins are stopping by, using the top part of the fountain as their personal spa on their way south.

It's a beautiful fall day here on the "frozen tundra" with temperatures going up to about 16C (60F); at this time of year we can fluctuate anywhere between 0 and 28 in a matter of days, so we take each one as it comes.  Frankly, we'd love some of the rain that has been happening in Florida and Georgia, as it sounds like you've had way too much.   We haven't been to today's port, so look forward to more photos of that beautiful part of the world.

Today I'm heading out for lunch with a friend; I'll pick up sandwiches and drinks from a deli and we'll meet in a park on her lunch break.  It's such a beautiful time of year, we're going to enjoy the outdoors as long as we can.

I'm not a fan of today's menu suggestion; it's the texture, not the flavour.  If I'm having a hamburger, I want it to feel like hamburger, not like liver.  LOL  I love Roy's alternate, and realized we haven't had French toast in a very long time, so I've taken some bacon out of the freezer and we'll be having breakfast for dinner tonight.  And wine.

@JAM37 so glad you and DH had "the talk" and came to the understanding that the projects can wait until his health has been restored.  Sometimes men think they're  actually Superman in disguise, and it hurts to realize they're not.

@mamaofami happy to hear Sam is making great progress.

@grapau27wishing you the best of luck today with your procedure.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to cheer on all who are on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wear your masks, wash your hands, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thank you Gerry.

Graham.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Lenda.

I have just got home.

Graham.

Graham, glad your home and that it was a successful operation.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kazu said:

The meal is intriguing.  Never had onion jam so I’ll wait for Debbie’s recipe - it should go well with the mushroom?  Maybe we’ll have this tonight?

@kazu, onion jam is delightful...almost as good as bacon jam!!  And thanks to you I learned how to multi-quote today!  

The news about Sam is really good. His warafin levels are up where they should be, he made eggs in the rehab's kitchen yesterday  and he says he's learning how to balance a tray so he can use the brand new Bar b q we bought right before he got sick. His ambitions are mighty and that motivation is helping him.

@mamaofami, so good to read this and especially that Sam is motivated.  The mind is such an important part of the recovery process.

• Like 14

Good morning and thanks all.  Glad to hear your surgery was a success Graham. 
Happy to report that we just saved well over a 1000$ on a hopefully upcoming cruise to Japan again next fall.  I’m hoping that one gets to go.  It’s not HAL but the price is substantially less than our last HAL Japan cruise so it looks good.   Stay safe everyone.  

Today I can’t post photos, oh joy!  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1