The Daily for Tuesday 05/17/2022

richwmn

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

When I saw Kotor for the destination today I thought we must have had that port before, but no we haven't!  Looks like I'll have to do a little digging to come up with photos that do that wonderful port justice.  As

Sandi, it may sound familiar because a few months ago I asked you if it had ever been a “port of the day”.  I was trying to figure out what to do there since we will be there June 11th, the day after Dubrovnik. You told me that it hadn’t but did share pictures and so did Carolyn @Cruising-along and Rich mentioned it was on the list in the future. I remember Carolyn talking about the cat museum too. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I've sailed most of the classes of RCI ships from Empress to Monarch, Vision, and Radiance classes as well as Anthem and Allure.  I have not sailed the two in between, I think it's Voyager and Freedom classes.  Personally, I much prefer the Centrum idea to the Royal Promenade.

Roy

me as well because the promenade can get crowded with those vendors selling cheap jewelry etc etc.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, it's good the neighbors are helping  you learn more skills.  The last two years, DH has been teaching me to do things he usually does.  BUT, I drew the line at getting under the car and changing the oil.

LOL - I have NO plans of getting under the car 😉  DH didn’t even do that.  There are service centres for that stuff 😆 

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'm married to a pack rat . . . I keep looking at the stuff he's got in the garage, in the basement, and in the storage areas around the yard and wonder what I'm going to do with it all if he dies.

Take it from one who knows Gerry - start him at it now - a bit at a time.  It’s no fun when you’re left to deal with it.  You have to do it and at the same time you feel guilty that you are getting rid of stuff that he “treasured”.  It is going to take a long time to get it all done 😔 

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@kazuyour neighbours sound like great people; I'm glad they're stepping up to help with the small things like that.

I try not to impose, Gerry but there are some things I don’t know and it’s easier when someone shows you 😉 

5 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Roy, @rafinmd, thanks for having DSIL and her hubby in Perth on the Cares list.  They are feeling better and out of isolation tomorrow, so they can come off now.  All is well!

That is great news, Ann 👍 

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  to  all.I am happy to report that my DB tested negative for covid. He is still a practicing MD and can't  return to work for another week.He said he was fatigued but feeling better overall. 

More excellent news!  So good to hear 👍 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We love Central park on the Oasis class ships.

Wish we were on Allure now.

I will be on her in 3 1/2 weeks.

but have to say bye for good to you and a few others.  Safer for me to be on other threads these days.

• Like 7

The W.C. Field quote reminds me of a conversation I once had with some Chinese friends from Taiwan.  We were talking about politics and I asked him why there were so few Chinese politicians in the U.S.  He said "We Chinese treat all politicians equally; with an equal amount of contempt."

Have to admit that I am somewhat of a pack rat.  Last week I found a box of magazines in our storage room that a friend gave me about 20 years ago.  About 40 magazines, mostly Life and Life International dated mostly from 1961 to 1969.  Have been reading one a day and really enjoy reading about international affairs from that time.  Not sure what to do with them after I finish reading them - probably put them back in the box and hope whoever finds them will enjoy them.

Ray

• Like 18

Two shirts, both by Columbia, that I bought for cruise travel in hot countries (so this is not totally irrelevant) came with odd and unexpected loops below one chest pocket. One has roll-up sleeves and the loop is like the ones used for the sleeves.

I was baffled, and the retailer's site doesn't mention them, so I looked on Columbia's site. Both shirts are classed as fishing shirts and the loop is to hold a rod. Is it OK to wear them when not fishing?

812629254_shirtwithrodloop.scaled.jpg.c5658460d1329e4c3b29154cba7727d1.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

A quick bit of advice from our now retired MD -- to help prevent migraines, take 100 mg Vitamin B2 (not B 12) twice a day......I had trouble believing that would work but at most I might have 1 mild migraine in a year.

Thank you for the information.  I am passing it on to my sister.  She's been down for two days now with a skull crusher.  

@smitty34877 Great news about your brother!

@Cruzin Terri Ouch on the root canal

@Vict0riann Glad to hear DSIL and her husband are recovering well

I hope all Covid stricken relatives are doing well.  Friends of my parents were both hospitalized with Covid recently at ages 91 and 94.  Both are being moved to rehab for a short stay before they go home.  Simply amazing!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, dfish said:

I hope all Covid stricken relatives are doing well.  Friends of my parents were both hospitalized with Covid recently at ages 91 and 94.  Both are being moved to rehab for a short stay before they go home.  Simply amazing!

That IS amazing and such great news!

My friend in VA is doing fine now, but now her DH has it.  He's double vaccinated so hoping he'll be fine too.  

• Like 15

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

@msmayor, thank goodness your DD has good insurance!  I'm so glad she's on the mend, though.  Have to wonder if feeling bad from the gallbladder had a lot to do with her early postpartum difficulties.  The dear first-time mother probably thought all new mother's feel physically terrible, but are supposed to be thinking only about baby.  It would be very confusing.  In any case, it's wonderful that she's had so much support from you and is feeling more confident.

My daughter and I talked about how much the gall bladder contributed to the problem - it was only complicated further by the fact that since she had a c-section, it didn't seem unreasonable that she had residual gut pain.  I wonder if she'd delivered normally we would have thrown up the red flag sooner.

She did comment today that these past couple of weeks have been blissful for her, and she's truly enjoying her status as a new mom.  It is a great relief.

I am loving all of these photos everyone is posting - such a beautiful place, I'll need to put this on my List of Places to Visit Someday.

Just got back from the garden center...I really DID have a plan, but there were so many pretty things...

Garden Center.jpg

• Like 27

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I try not to be a pack rat, and am getting rid of (donating) things I just don't use; no heirs to pass stuff on to. Care of hypertension is important, and we should all keep an eye on our blood pressure. Dinosaurs are cool; the Carnegie Museum here has an excellent dinosaur bone collection.

Typical W.C. Fields quote.

I like the meal, but it's more carbs than I need. Pass on the drink, but I'll take the wine.

I haven't been to Montenegro. Thanks for the pictures.

It's a beautiful sunny day here, with temperature in the upper 60's and low humidity. I was cold when I woke up this morning! I made a trip this AM to get some garden supplies, and stopped at the big box store. I'd like a lighter garden hose, but see such bad reviews on those light-weight expandable ones. I'll plant my tomatoes a bit later. Rain from tomorrow evening through the weekend, with high temps, so I may have to mow the lawn tomorrow.

@Cruzin Terri Sorry you had to have a root canal, but the only one I ever had instantly relieved the pain I was having and wasn't bad.

@JAM37 Sorry to hear about the migraine yesterday with lingering effects today. Take it easy.

@kazu It sounds like you have very nice neighbors.

@StLouisCruisers Great photos of Kotor.

@smitty34877 Good news about DB's test. 

@Sea Viewer Have a great time!

@Cruising-along Kayaks sound like fun gifts for the DGS's. Great photos.

@bennybear Thanks for the Kotor photos.

@aliaschief Cool to see the Monk Seals.

@Vict0riann Nice pictures. Good news about DSIL and her DH.

@msmayor I'm so glad to hear that DD is enjoying motherhood now. Nice plants!

Prayers for the Care List and Ukraine, as well as all victims of the senseless shootings here in the US.

Cheers to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I've sailed most of the classes of RCI ships from Empress to Monarch, Vision, and Radiance classes as well as Anthem and Allure.  I have not sailed the two in between, I think it's Voyager and Freedom classes.  Personally, I much prefer the Centrum idea to the Royal Promenade.

Roy

Our first cruise was in June 2003 on Sunbird which was originally RCI Song of America.

Our first RCI cruise was in June 2006 on Voyager of the Seas.

We have sailed on all the RCI class ships but never on Empress or Monarch.

The 2 reason's we like P&O is sailing from Southampton England and the Centrum.

We had our first sailing as Diamond members on Adventure of the seas on our 30th wedding anniversary in August 2011.

I hope you have a truly amazing cruise on Adventure of the seas Roy.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I will be on her in 3 1/2 weeks.

but have to say bye for good to you and a few others.  Safer for me to be on other threads these days.

I hope you have an awesome cruise on Allure.

I think this thread is the best and safest thread to be on and you will always be welcomed.

I post on Dani's Lockdown thread on Royal Caribbean so hopefully I will hear from you on there.

Take care and very best wishes.

Graham x.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  Confess for a fondness for stegosaurus.  We are lucky to live near some famous dinosaur finds.   Our university team was the Dino’s.  

We've enjoyed Kotor a few times, last time we explored further afield.  

3D08FE6E-597A-484B-9830-3E1B6EABF151.jpeg

4E4D4105-B46C-4C3C-8EF1-C7CED286E40C.jpeg

813AC6DE-E065-42D7-B07F-FA63F04E2AC8.jpeg

095C4A55-4563-4CFA-A61F-E2A0C7C1A834.jpeg

E23FB54A-6944-4C2D-84E1-58142339B663.jpeg

D5A64B95-18DE-4B7F-8C9A-3452E44160CC.jpeg

AB50040C-6F30-4538-9242-CB5B3F354DC6.jpeg

194DA009-A15B-4991-AAA7-782D284C2329.jpeg

204E16AF-F866-4D5B-8EFF-9925EF032194.jpeg

FE62CD67-A7FA-4F7F-98A4-80B62689E97C.jpeg

BA56B3F3-6F31-46A8-B626-D969A1E4719A.jpeg

146BF45C-0144-45C3-898D-03958108F3AE.jpeg

1B47928B-89D4-4BC5-BE97-9432C31D907C.jpeg

86C30587-5A41-4F09-93C7-C57C44D39EC8.jpeg

7A6C71D7-C1E8-4896-A19B-975D8102B437.jpeg

8434B40E-34E3-4CFC-BCF6-FE371D18DA4A.jpeg

AAF8A1FD-3278-4306-85DF-E2DCA00DB717.jpeg

0FFE8709-5EA0-4D04-BD78-B94B1241A35B.jpeg

Awesome photos.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Yesterday's rain turned into a very nice sunny afternoon and I enjoyed garden time and visiting with neighbors. 

Today we'll be taking cupcakes to the grandsons for the 9-year-old's birthday yesterday.  The plan was to bring down the 2 kayaks we got for their birthdays (the younger one's birthday is in a couple weeks) but yesterday (and I hope I'm not starting something here) DH's battery was dead.  Got that fixed, but then the lift gate of his Subaru won't open and there's a "beeping sound" that won't stop.  He went to the dealership but they're so busy they can't look at it for a few days....the kayaks won't fit in my car, so instead I'm bringing photos of the kayaks to them!  The saving grace is that DD and DSIL have to figure out a way to transport the kayaks when they go camping, plus it isn't kayaking weather here yet so we have lots of time.  The kayaks will continue to sit in our house!  😅  

I'm married to a pack rat, but he's better than he used to be.  I have hypertension, it's a family curse.  Bless my doctor, finding meds that help me but don't have a ton of bad side effects.  I think I've been on nearly everything, and finally have a combo that works with no side effects. Some give a nagging cough, some swelling of the ankles, on and on. Our family loves dinosaurs, especially the youngest DGS.  We've been to many dinosaur museums and even drove hundreds of miles out of our way to an archeological site in Montana to see "Leonardo", the only dinosaur found with flesh.  It was fascinating to see.

I'll pass on the wine, drink and meal (can't imagine potatoes in nachos....but I'm not a huge potato fan) but I adore Kotor and have been there a few times.  Like Sandi @StLouisCruisersI was sure we'd had it as the port before, but now I realize she's right, we just shared our cat photos one day.  I remember sharing mine, and I remember hers of the 7 cats on the steps. Kotor, like Santorini, is a cat lover's paradise 😉  

Last night I ordered our next round of home tests.  Just a caution for those who have them -- they do expire before long.  Ours expire in a couple months. I don't know if the next ones will expire so soon also.   Also, when I did a self-test last week, one of the "pre-filled tubes" was empty!  That was a surprise!

@JAM37Julia I'm so sorry about your migraine.  I've only had 2 in my life and know how miserable they are.  I hope today will be much better.

@Cruzin Terrisorry about the root canal, it's good you could get in quickly. 🙂  

We've been to Kotor a few times, and like I said, I love it and it's one of my favorite ports.

Sailing into Kotor

1038647749_viewoftownfromwater.jpg.d0de5bbe3906851c9eb760e8053d6d91.jpg

967211187_sailingtoKotor.jpg.d506192570409854adf802fe2c3a722f.jpg

It's an easy town to just wander around in.

1091240552_streetscene.thumb.jpg.80a58224a42f8016fbaf63413a6618b9.jpg

1495141909_Kotorsidestreet.thumb.jpg.c86b99e17d48623fd9abce97d2a1b355.jpg

523471929_Kotorsidestreet2.thumb.jpg.0900123469a286fe46b1338cc5442655.jpg

I could easily post dozens of cat photos from Kotor, but will just leave this one here. This was just outside the Cat Museum.

1528766148_Kotorkittyandlittlegirl.thumb.jpg.91bc7252b1b15e90512b47edfc2fb363.jpg

I had vowed not to buy any more souvenir magnets, but this one captured my heart.

1647325353_kittiemagnetKotor.thumb.jpg.41bcc379c563b9010b48795c57d54f72.jpg

We took a boat excursion to the Skrpjela Baroque Church.  View of our ship from the boat.

111509060_boatride.jpg.41f2df509d61b4e016791a791e81611a.jpg

We passed this monastery on St. George's Island

1803163515_monasteryonSt.GeorgesIsland.jpg.e61c47823b0b607aca934ad9d6267075.jpg

Just a couple photos of the church --

696804542_SkrpjelaBaroqueChurch.thumb.jpg.de43cabd4e63701606d600f6ce90c2f4.jpg

Part of the ceiling

1289269367_SkrpjelaBaroqueChurchceiling.jpg.98cec5a9848adb1b6c94eb869355c07d.jpg

Baroque church.jpg

Nice photos.

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites!Busy times here, today I get my hair cut, and tomorrow, after stamps (that's where I am a pack rat) we have appointments to get our boosters.  Can't wait!

I used to get awful migraines, but I haven't now for about ten years.  I do get ocular migraines, but at least they don't hurt!   @JAM37, I feel for you!

We had a wonderful day in Kotor in 2019.  @sailingdutchy organized a full day tour, we actually only had a quick walk through Kotor itself, no chance to spend money...  But we visited an interesting resort town, Budva, and had  wonderful lunch in the countryside at a prosciutto farm/factory.  My cousin's husband decided he wouldn't go with us, as he wanted to climb that mountain behind the city, and he said it was marvellous.  He's still talking about it.

A lot of my pictures are like those posted, but I'll look for some others.

Proof we did it!

IMG_7970.thumb.jpeg.bd2f5eb6cc55c8bb184c55d810bed03e.jpeg

The zigzag hike up the mountain

P1080173.thumb.JPG.c61f80ff145eb46ff0abaa71d83e07b4.JPG

Budva, and Martha dabbled her toes in the Adriatic...

P1080101.thumb.JPG.3f6a65b78c4992a00bf286a64ab81b98.JPG

IMG_1986.thumb.JPG.99da8523899c0e29aede6458332221a5.JPG

IMG_2001.thumb.JPG.bf66dd44785b753744de3205df36f27f.JPG

Lunch at the farm and ham curing

IMG_2041.thumb.JPG.715f160d33920e5feeb302abdec8f1ac.JPG

IMG_2045.thumb.JPG.93abfc2edeb8a075dde658080a18e8be.JPG

IMG_2063.thumb.JPG.5236b373b7176a41d9a20584677a0554.JPG

View of our ship from a lookout high up in the hills.  (We tendered in, we are the furthest-out ship)

IMG_2078.thumb.JPG.0f680cd6c466e76d21862ac197c3802b.JPG

The obligatory cat ignoring us in Kotor.  They all looked sleek and healthy.

IMG_2084.thumb.JPG.5b41e9a6b4d1ca77df9a63c5c158bc15.JPG

Lovely photos Ann of you and Pat and also of Montenegro.

Graham.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We love Central park on the Oasis class ships.

Wish we were on Allure now.

I hope you have an amazing cruise Roy on Adventure of the seas.

We had our 30th wedding anniversary on Adventure of the seas in August 2011 sailing out of Malaga.

Graham.

IMG_20150910_221222.jpg

Senior moment here.  The hype seems to be all about the Royal Promenade and that was what I was thinking of when I made my comment.   I definitely enjoyed Central Park.  My Allure cruise was a transatlantic with a short segment first Rome to Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale.  For the Rome to Barcelona segment I had a balcony overlooking Central Park and really liked it.  For the transatlantic I had a Balcony overlooking Boardwalk and enjoyed that as well, even having the perfect angle to watch sunrise from my balcony:

dawnbalcony.jpg

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Kayaks sound like fun gifts for the DGS's. Great photos.

Thank you Vanessa.  They do a lot of kayaking in the summers, so DD thought it would be a good gift idea. These are for children up to 130 pounds. 

I'm happy to say that we now will be able to bring them the kayaks today, not just photos of the kayaks.  DH's car is suddenly cooperating now, and the lift back is working again.  We got the kayaks into his car and are keeping fingers crossed that we and the kayaks get there and the car will cooperate. It's the strangest thing.  A local shop looked and said the battery is fine, no idea what's going on. It was dead again this morning. 

He has an appointment Thursday morning with the dealership.

• Like 15

Good afternoon.  The house is clean -- at least for a while.  🤣  I've often wondered how I could get the front half of the house clean in about two hours, but that the other half took at least three or more hours.  I realized today, that life starts getting in the way as the day progresses, so there are more interruptions.

This morning, I forgot to mention that about 22 years ago when DH was in Chicago on business and I tagged along, I went to the Field Museum to see Sue, the complete t-rex skeleton.  Even with all the support for the skeleton, her skull was too heavy and had to be displayed on a separate stand.  They made a lightweight replica to place on the skeleton.  I was glad I did not meet her when she was alive.

I have enjoyed the pictures of Kotor and thought I'd also posted some, but I could not find where that might have been.  Thank you, @StLouisCruisers, @Cruising-along. @benny benn and @Vict0riann for sharing your pictures.  I have enjoyed looking at them.

@msmayor  Connie, I'm so glad your DD is enjoying motherhood, and wish she could have avoided the rocky start.  As far as the hospital bill, all I can say is YIKES 😱, and I'm glad she has good insurance.

@smitty34877  I'm glad your DB is now negative.

@aliaschief  Thanks for the story and pictures of the monk seals.  I read last week that their numbers are increasing.

@Oceansaway17  I'm sorry you feel you have to leave the Daily.  Remember, you will always be welcome here.

@XBGuy  I must be old enough as I got it!

@Vict0riann  Ann, I am very glad your DSIL and her DH are all right now.  

@dfish  Debbie, that is good news that our parent's friends are well and will be home soon after a short stay in rehab.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, I hope the car gremlins can be evicted, but not sent to any other Dailyites.

I will go see what pictures I have of Kotor and the surrounding area.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Decided to finally add a photo to my profile.  It was taken by Lisa Pomroy of the Pride of Baltimore and
the Clipper Stad Amsterdam in Fells Point, MDF9EDDB5A-2CAD-4BC4-816F-FB5AD37FF0C4.thumb.jpeg.a6a61597443402e8c3f949ac6f381ada.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you Vanessa.  They do a lot of kayaking in the summers, so DD thought it would be a good gift idea. These are for children up to 130 pounds. 

I'm happy to say that we now will be able to bring them the kayaks today, not just photos of the kayaks.  DH's car is suddenly cooperating now, and the lift back is working again.  We got the kayaks into his car and are keeping fingers crossed that we and the kayaks get there and the car will cooperate. It's the strangest thing.  A local shop looked and said the battery is fine, no idea what's going on. It was dead again this morning. 

One of Paulines friends had a similar problem and it was her interior light had been left on.

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

DH just reminded me that we had a similar problem a few years ago.  It turned out the glove compartment light was staying on all the time and draining the battery.  

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1