The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 1st, 2022

richwmn

Good morning.  I have finally finished my move. Twice across the US driving and Oregon house was on the market and is in escrow. I can now say that I am living in Mobile Alabama. Wow, a lot has changed while I was gone for a month or so. Even the name is different. Glad to be back no matter what the Daily is called.  I have missed everyone. 

• Like 43

Good Morning Dailyites.  Before I say any thing of non importance I want to post this from my senior center-

• Why did the tomato blush? / A. Because it saw the salad dressing.
  • Did you hear about the first restaurant to open on the moon? / A. It had great food, but no atmosphere.
  •  
  • Like 9
  • Haha 26

2 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Even the name is different.

I vaguely remember that it was just the Fleet Report when I joined Cruise Critic. I wasn't active in the forum then, and I stopped reading for a while when there was no cruising.

Some years ago I went to Ottawa for a Canada Day walking (Volksmarch) festival. The clubs in the Ottawa area sponsored four group walks, including one that crossed to Hull in Quebec, and they have five year-round (self-guided) walks, for a total of nine.

• Like 25

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit

Good Morning from a sunny and warm day at the beach

Our storms came in overnite after threatening all day.

Happy Canada Day to all of our Canadian Friends!  Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Never been to todays port and the meal is a No from me.

Yesterday must have been the day for excursion changes. Received an email from HAL that said the vendor could not accommodate my DD. So I must now rearrange a few things.  This is not unusual as anyone who has someone that is disabled is well aware. Luckily I still have a few months.

Water Aerobics today and then off to Publix. We are hosting about 10 friends for the fireworks on Sunday. Have to do a few light appetizers. One of my friends is making homemade strawberry ice cream. Yum!

Be safe and enjoy today

• Like 30

Firstly, to all our Northern neighbors --

IMG_0113.jpg.a90ce6a75fcd0a07e850c20946620131.jpg

WOW, Sandi @StLouisCruisers -- Heathrow was a nightmare!  Guess we dodged a bullet by choosing Gatwick (only because they offered the only n/s flight to Orlando).

I admire you having everything already unpacked, laundered and put away -- our 2 large suitcases are still sitting in the living room!  We were zombies all day yesterday, Jim finally decided to run to the store late afternoon so we would have something in the house to eat for dinner and breakfast.  (Lunch yesterday was carry-out after returning the rental and the dinner he brought home was Publix fried chicken 😋)

Thank you to all who contribute here -- cheers to those on the celebratory list and healing hugs to the care list.

Kay

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

@rafinmdBreakfast looks tasty and I love the view of Times Square from that restaurant.  

@HeartgroveI am so sorry to hear about your DB not really having a lot of improvement.  

It worked yesterday moving the Big Green Egg to the new cart. The old one will be my new potting bench and fish cleaning table, now we need to catch some fish.  A huge front moved through last evening going from high 70s to 50s in minutes. The wave action on the lake was really something to see but we avoided the major storm just more rain. 

Thank you for the Daily Reports.  The drink looks like a good happy hour drink on a BHB and I love Crios Malbec but last vintage I had caused migraines.   Prayers for those needing them, those on our Care list and for the people of Ukraine.   🙏

IMG_20220630_101444484.jpg

IMG_20220630_103601555.jpg

IMG_20220630_104142530_HDR.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Ok, Now I'm back....rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

Happy Canada Day! To all my "family" up north.

ed24a39866bcfc8926c3b7bf5e6500d4.png

I slept late this morning.  This rarely happens.  And I only got up once during the night.  And that rarely happens too. I guess there were no cat wars last night.  It was cool enough to have the den windows open, and two cats sleep in them, so no coming down the hall to the bedroom and attacking Tazi.  

It's a full F1 weekend, F2, F3 and the porche  series. And the Tour de France starts.  I am not a cyclist, but I enjoy watching the race, seeing parts of France I remember from childhood, and places I never got to see.  And they are on wheels, so maybe it's the wheel part I like, not the motor part about racing that I like???? Nah.

Working 10-2:30 today.  They wanted us done early because the big wigs want to have along weekend, and I don't blame them.  And then they threw in  a zoom meeting at 1 today, where I am pretty sure that they will tell us to sign off and have a nice weekend so that they can get the time cards done. BUT, DH's boss wants them to work 3-8 today, and he called DH and asked him if he wants to work tomorrow.  DH said NO!    And he never told them there was a company wide zoom meeting.

I am a party pooper regarding the 4th of July weekend. I live in a neighborhood, where gun fire is the firework of choice, and most people have not figured out, what goes up, must come down.  So we don't even go outside.  And when people are shooting off fireworks my furbabies are terrified.  So I don't leave the house on the 4th.  Bring on the rain!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.

Happy Canada Day to all Canadian dailyites. I just checked and the last times I was in Canada was in October 2019. I had plans for The Rockies. Vancouver/ Whistler and Canadian Maritimes in 2020 and 2021, we all know how that went.:classic_sad:

I have tentative plans for the Rockies in spring 2023, love the Icefields Parkway drive. amazing scenery.

hope everyone has a great weekend!

Mary

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.  Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! Happy Canada Day to all Canadian cruise lovers!  Zip codes and postal codes are the same thing, just different words.  I like visiting zoos once in a while, but haven't gone to one in ages.  Financial freedom?  Wouldn't that be nice!  LOL  We've been to Sarande, Albania - the country has very little infrastructure and there was trash everywhere.  The one thing we did see that was truly beautiful was the Blue Eye Park - look up the photos on the internet, you'll get an idea of what it looks like.  Breathtaking colours. 

Well the whirling dervishes have arrived - they got here around 8 last evening and it was an absolute delight.  The smallest (2.5 yrs) is no longer afraid of us and has totally rearranged all the travel magnets we have on the side of the fridge.  As soon as they got here, our oldest DGS (he's 7) pulled me aside to quietly tell me he's afraid of flying insects - great, it's mosquito and wasp season.  Well, we'll just do our best to kill off the offending beasts while they're here.   Lots of fun and laughter throughout the evening; it's so good to have them back in the house again.

I'm not sure what we'll do today, all I know is there will be a lot of activity - much more than we've seen in this house in over a year.  It will be great.  I'm not a fan of today's menu suggestion, but I'm pretty sure DH would like it.  We'll be having ribs on the bbq tonight; we'll get DS to oversee the cooking of them, and will supplement that with bbq potatoes (potato cubes, onions, dill and butter, cooked in foil), air fryer asparagus and a tossed salad.  There has been a special request from a certain 7 year old for brownies and ice cream for dessert, so that will be making an appearance as well.  And wine.

@0106thanks for the suggestion about sliders, and yes, I've seen them in the stores, but haven't seen a lot of slider buns to go with.   However, rather than buying more, I'll be using up the pre-made burgers I've frozen and will make the little burgers as I mentioned.  

@StLouisCruiserswhat a trek through Heathrow!  Glad you're home and can now relax; don't worry about the unpacking and laundry, it will wait for you.

@rafinmdBon Voyage today!

@lindalerwelcome back - enjoy your new home and location!

Canada.jpg.29ed21f731ee59fa7b80ca75d2b0f93d.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine and their determined spirit.  We'll raise the glasses and sippy cups to celebrate Canada's birthday and all who are on the happy list.  Stay safe, wear masks when needed, get your boosters and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Friday Daily.  I love all the days, especially Canada day and envy @Crazy For Cats being in Canada on this special day.  I really wish my cruise started a couple of days ago so I could have been in Halifax today and then Boston on July 4.  Not sure what to make of the quote.  Have not been to Albania and will pass on the meal.  My alternative is “rainbow” potatoes, chicken sausage, bacon, and raisin toast as served today in the Renaissance Times Square.

bkfst01.jpg

Today’s care list:

Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Sam recovering at home from Covid complications
StPeteCruiser recovering from Appendicitis
Covid in Durango shelter staff
Joy’s friend Ron facing Gall Bladder surgery
Heartgrove brother about to be discharged with extremely poor prognosis
From the rotation:
StLouisSal with weakening legs and covid
Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems
Tana with persistant cough
HAL Sailer DH Nephew Curt with serious mowing accident and new dimentia

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A world cruise flight offer for Rich
Seasick Sailer friend Ron recovering from successful gall bladder surgery
Tioga Cruiser enjoying Grand Canyon
Volendam caring for refugees
1 days for ski ww (Oosterdam July 2 to 16)
2 days for Mister Boston (Celebrity Summit July 3 to 10)
My embarkation day  (QM2 July 1 to 😎
 Nickelpenny (Westerdam to 7/3) ,  jimgev (Noordam to 7/3 plus land trip),  Norseh2o  (Insignia to 7/4) and Crazy for Cats (Zaandam to 7/9) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Many thanks for posting today's lists Roy while you are on your cruise.

Graham.

• Like 18

53 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Good morning.  I have finally finished my move. Twice across the US driving and Oregon house was on the market and is in escrow. I can now say that I am living in Mobile Alabama. Wow, a lot has changed while I was gone for a month or so. Even the name is different. Glad to be back no matter what the Daily is called.  I have missed everyone. 

Nice to see you back.

Pleased you have completed your move.

• Like 18

🍁 HAPPY CANADA DAY! 🍁

I hope all our Canadian Dailyites have a wonderful day and weekend.

It is sunny and will be in the upper 90sF today.  

When ZIP codes were first introduced, they improved mail delivery.  However, the improvements in the ensuing years seem to have slowed the mail delivery.  I have enjoyed visiting zoos, and I now prefer the ones that have created a natural habitat instead of cages for their animals.  Zoos are also important in helping species survive with their breeding programs.   Financial freedom is nice if you can achieve it.

Today's quote is an interesting one, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

We've had gravlax before, but I won't be making any.  We'll pass on the drink, but would like the wine.

We have been to Sarande three times on BHBs.  I'll look for my pictures in a little while.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, you had a busy day yesterday.  Hope today is less hectic and you can give your knee a rest.  I hope it feels better soon.

@aliaschief  Sending positive thoughts that your flight is a go and it is not delayed tomorrow. Safe travels.

@dfish  Debbie, I would think you are also except from the testing requirement, but it probably wouldn't hurt to double check.  Hope all the excursions can be changed easily and that the vendors will help with refunds, etc.

@Heartgrove Jack, I'm sorry the prognosis for your brother is not good.  I hope your DSIL can get all the help she needs to care from him once he's home.

@rafinmd  Roy, Bon Voyage today, and have a great cruise.  Thank you for doing the lists while you are on the cruise.

@lindaler  Linda, welcome to your new home, and great news the Oregon home is in escrow.  Relax and enjoy your new home.  We're glad your back here and we missed you.

@cunnorl  Sorry the vendor could not accommodate your DD, but it was good that HAL let you know early so you can get another excursion lined up.

@ottahand7  I'm glad the pulley system worked to change the base on the big green egg.

@marshhawk  Ann, I'm with you about idiots firing guns in the air.  In Arizona, it is against the law to fire a gun into the air. The law was enacted after a young girl was killed by a bullet returning to earth.  Around here, we just have fireworks, but our county and the neighboring county have banned the sale and use of fireworks this year due to the severe drought.  It will be a quieter July 4th here.

@ger_77  Gerry, enjoy the visit with DS, DDIL and the DGSs.

Yesterday, after a lot of thought, we canceled both the 2023 and 2024 world cruises on Coral Princess out of Sydney.  With the airline situation and reports it will probably last into next year and maybe 2024, plus ongoing Covid outbreaks, and the way Princess has handled Covid outbreaks since the start up, the cancellation seemed like a good move.  We'll miss not visiting the ports that would have been new to us, but all in all it was not a sad decision, but the right decision now.

I'll go look for my pictures of Sarande now.

I just checked on an Amazon package that was supposed to be delivered yesterday by USPS.  It is now delayed and I don't know when it will get here.  In checking the USPS  tracking, it was at our Post Office in town yesterday at 4:15 am and then went two hours south of here.  This morning at 5:22 am it was back here, and then an hour later was in Dallas.  I guess instead of Where in the World Is Waldo, it's Where in the World Is the Amazon Package.  😱  At least, it's a book, and I won't be ready to read it for a while.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
Add informaton
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

99% packed for the ship, leaving in about an hour.  Down to just my IPAD until settled in my room.

Roy

Have a great time, Roy.  My sister and I did your specific trip (4th of July) on QM2 from 2004 through 2016. We stopped when DS moved to PA.  I think next year we should start up again.  I am looking forward to your reports about your trip.  🚢  🇺🇸

• Like 22

Good morning. All.  Like @Rowsby, I keep saying “Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit.”   🤪

Happy Canada Day to our many Canadian friends here.  🇨🇦

I’ve spent the last couple days retouching paint on my kitchen cabinets — something I kept putting off for fear of messing up.  They’re that antique white French look and the paint does chip off.  Anyhow, they ended up looking really good and now it’s lazy day here.

We have been to Sarande — did a winery tour and a couple other stops.  I’ll look for photos.

Looking forward to Roy’s blogging about Cunard.  Exciting one for him!

TGIF, everyone!  Have a great day!

8EC9CCE5-E0D9-4346-8C6C-5FD74787DC64.thumb.jpeg.57838b8b09a5dbf07ffbee539b8ca328.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Well, I am the only person in my group that did not receive the email about the testing requirement being dropped for our cruise in two weeks.  I guess I am the only guest who is required to produce a negative test.  Bummer! 

Did you look in you spam? About a third of HAL emails end up in my spam box. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Happy Canada Day to our Canadian Dailyite family!

Bn Voyage @aliaschief!
@lindalerWelcome to your new home!

We go to a 4-day fireworks show in February (Lake Havasu City) so the ones around here are now meh. I usually watch “A Capitol Fourth” on PBS. 

Happy Friday! Keep cool and stay safe!

• Like 26

4 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida 

Happy Canada Day to my Canadian friends.

It was always fun going to the Zoo while growing up in Chicago, we had 2 great ones with Lincoln Park and Brookfield Zoos. 

Off to the golf course in a few minutes.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

I grew up in Algonquin. We were always going to the the zoo's. I have pictures of us in front of the Brookfield sign.

• Like 20

Our first visit to Sarande was in 2008 on the Prinsendam.  On that cruise, we took a ship tour to Gjirokastra, and old town northeast of Sarande.  We visited Gjirokastra Castle, the town and an older house which I believe was Zekate House.

Gjirokastra Castle ruins and part of the Arms Museum in the castle.

IMG_4022.thumb.JPG.fad5ade87f33f6fc76e6977181198f8a.JPG

The castle rom the bottom of tall hill it sits on.  I don't think we walked up the hill, but we did walk down it, and it was steep.  Much of the castle is in ruins.

IMG_4087.thumb.JPG.9c7b9ff2ee0892a3a8b95b6d539e8970.JPG

IMG_4039.thumb.JPG.f597f611bcf3e3ddf4d8ff48b3bd3770.JPG

IMG_4044.thumb.JPG.e9e9056669d1aacf2ebc2a9ada1f74c9.JPG

IMG_4049.thumb.JPG.b16f5ed4cc123765fcdcd7f9d1c0f5bc.JPG

IMG_4033.thumb.JPG.30680f7f7ed97390650ef14161691d4d.JPG

An interesting structure on the castle grounds, but I'm not sure what it was.

IMG_4045.thumb.JPG.aab31e5e4b6be77d0a8f3522bbacdb7b.JPG

Gjirokastra from the castle grounds

IMG_4028.thumb.JPG.9f2c912be79280917ade187e29643685.JPG

IMG_4035.thumb.JPG.7059d7b5a2bcbb86586d8cbc9738d12d.JPG

Our next stop was Zekate House, which was built by Beqir Zeko in 1811-12.  It is a typical tower house of the times, and it is furnished as it would have been then.  Beqir Zeko was a general administrator of Ali Pasha, and would have been a rich man in the town.

IMG_4060.thumb.JPG.b59fc047b770443dbcffccdc37122b59.JPG

IMG_4064.thumb.JPG.a6183ee7782ff06d51ad97ced179f3dd.JPG

The kitchen oven

IMG_4069.thumb.JPG.7b76ad760d9106932290b9f42504caf8.JPG

Detailed woodwork

IMG_4070.thumb.JPG.1bc6f41e7de7f66228fb9865c7606e9c.JPG

IMG_4073.thumb.JPG.f0ab22717e9702d7d3b2f3ca52f1ce0c.JPG

Old town Gjirokastra

IMG_4024.thumb.JPG.820e71987687854b3fe6531b1e76b1b3.JPG

IMG_4080.thumb.JPG.5d77451792a54643d4faf8283c74ac6e.JPG

A vegetable and fruit market

IMG_4082.thumb.JPG.159a73ea25c4601e6642724089f17862.JPG

A couple of pictures of Sarande from the Prinsendam as we sailed to the next port.  In one picture, you can see the rebuilding after the Balkan War.

IMG_4091.thumb.JPG.85640a115973a6af28ca61b3eb3bb28a.JPG

IMG_4092.thumb.JPG.f385d8eafb0e9db5fa09286eea5ba615.JPG

Lenda

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, lindaler said:

That was quite a move. Welcome back.

Susan

• Like 21