The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 4th, 2022

richwmn

21 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

It really is, Vanessa.  They bought the house because they liked the floor plan and the house has "good bones" and of course the acreage.  It will be nice when they can finally move in, but fun to watch the progress meanwhile!

Bruce @aliaschiefgorgeous photos, makes me want to take a drive down the coast!  Are you staying at a rental or does your son own it?  We're always looking for new places. 🙂  

It’s a rental. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Happy Independence Day from sunny, fry an egg on the sidewalk, St Petersburg, Florida. 

I am still on heavy antibiotics, so no adult beverages to celebrate the 4th for me. We are going to try the Beyond Meat burgers on the grill later. The Dive In uses the same product as a substitute for any of its burgers on the BHB'S, and I really like them. With their gouda cheese, yum. Top it off with an Aflagem draft beer from the Dutch Cafe, and if you're good, some dutch apple pie from there, too.

Some pics from the American Cemetery near Omaha Beach last month. 

Maybe more appropriate for Memorial Day, but so moving to me. I pray for our democracy every day. 

20220607_141358.jpg

20220607_123657.jpg

20220607_124859.jpg

20220607_123436.jpg

20220607_125616.jpg

20220608_080604.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

Good morning and Happy fourth to our American friends.  We’ve enjoyed seeing Garth Brooks twice and Shani Twain in concert.    We were camping on the weekend and some great fireworks with firefighters in attendance.  

6DB63824-F301-4834-A31D-1BE59CD1910D.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 27

Good Morning Everyone!

I am a country music fan, was listening to it last night while working on the computer.  Poor Holly dog was curled up under the desk, with her head on my feet hiding from fireworks.  The "booms" were so loud it even woke the chickens up, they started squawking after some went off nearby.  I may have to sedate Holly this evening if things get worse, I guess last year she was only a pup and didn't seem to be bothered by them, but definitely is this year.

We are not doing much this year, will BBQ something for hubby and son, but will keep it simple.  Seems like lately been running to and from things, will be glad to have a "chill" day.

Be safe out there, Happy 4th to all of you.

Denise

• Like 27

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. We had a beautiful drive down the coast from Seattle, lunch in Astoria overlooking the Columbia River. Arrived at the beautiful beach rental and just enjoyed the views, a whale spouting and a delicious Seafood boil of shrimp, Dungeness crab, potatoes, corn on the cob and Portuguese Sausage.

Today is walks on beach day, traditional hamburger and hot dogs on the grill with chilled watermelon.

No matter how you celebrate this special holiday may it be shared with loved ones and great friends.

Pictures are our views from the beach house. Sunset was hindered by some offshore clouds but the folks enjoying their beach fires, and of course there were some pretty dynamic individual fireworks. I wish I could do a live  scratch and smell as the scent of the Pacific Ocean is intoxicating.

image.thumb.jpeg.959473c774561d7df8841d5dae22bc19.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cf5858dcd354c3ffa6dc281b4f621091.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.98f98a7775e50ba6af7a61f3278d2294.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c94c6671ffe6624b4c1ec1c89b631f72.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.99b51f7121f74442de3f316f4d647c55.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.94eead8b7d2527447ba6f74d81c325eb.jpeg

Very  nice  photos.

• Like 15

Happy Birthday, USA! 🇺🇸

Thanks to all when contribute here. I love all the pictures and memes. 

I thought it was going to be a relatively quiet Independence Day week (compared to previous years). I only heard a few fireworks and they were not loud. Well, that changed last night. VERY loud and big fireworks and they sounded close. 😳😡 Someone’s car alarm went off every time. I think it’s going to be worse tonight. I feel bad for the animals and vets with PTSD. 

I think I’m almost finished packing. One suitcase and the carryon luggage is done. So far flights are OK. 🤞 Just one suitcase and my backpack to go. 

Enjoy the day today! 

• Like 27

6 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Ramey 2018 Rochioli Vineyard Chardonnay

The fact that all released vintages of this Chardonnay share the same superb ratings, makes me want to at least taste it. It sounds lovely. Perhaps it might be the one to tempt me out of my budget range? Several online distributors with prices starting at $66.99.

Winemaker Notes

After aging 20 months in 20% new François Frères and Taransaud Beaune French oak barrels, this Chardonnay was fined and settled in tank following the next harvest. It was then bottled without filtration.

WE100 Wine Enthusiast

This wine is a testament to an outstanding site in the hands of an outstanding producer. It is a celebration of fresh Meyer lemon and Graven stein apple woven against an elegant structure and quenching acidity. Editors’ Choice.

JD96 Jeb Dunnuck

From another gem of a vineyard in the Russian River, the 2018 Chardonnay Rochioli Vineyard offers loads of honeyed lemon fruits as well as medium to full-bodied richness, bright acidity, some subtle toasty, nutty, creamy nuances, and one heck of a great finish. This is another serious, age-worthy beauty from Ramey that will keep for 10-12+ years.

RP94 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2018 Chardonnay Rochioli Vineyard is youthfully wound with soft white peach scents and touches of hazelnuts, flowers and crushed shell. The palate is racy and mineral driven to begin, opening to a soft, generously perfumed finish. Give it another couple of years in bottle. Rating: 94+

Yeah $67 is a bit spendy for a domestic Chardonnay wine,  

David Ramey is an outstanding winemaker.  In my humble opinion (And whose opinion is more humble than mine?), he is a particularly terrific Chardonnay producer.  Single vineyard designated wines are, generally, more expensive than those with a geographic designation alone.  Also, Rochioli is particularly proud of their grapes, albeit, deservedly so.  In addition to multiple single-vineyard bottlings, Ramey also produces much less expensive Chardonnays with Sonoma Coast and Russian River Valley designations that, while they don't get quite as high evaluations from the professional critics, are outstanding wines.  The Sonoma Coast and Russian River Valley regions (called American Viticultural Areas or AVAs in the wine geekdom) are superb growing areas for Chardonnay grapes.  These Ramey versions can be had from purveyors such as Total Wine for less than $40.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Eurodam is now arriving in Juneau on an absolutely beautiful day. 🇺🇸🚢🎉

They seem to be moving along pretty quickly!

And need someone to stop the camera from panning.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 11

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich for the Independence Day report.  Greetings from Boston, probably no better place to be this day than possibly Philadelphia, and I don't think their cruise port is still active.  I like all the days except I'd rather not be able to fry an egg on the sidewalk.  I don't think it will get quite that hot here today.  I've been to Western Australia but not to Geraldton.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Hearts of Palm, Sirloin Steak, and Rose Scented Pavlova as served on Queen Mary 2 yesterday evening:

dishes03.jpg

Today’s care list:

Melinda with stage 4 cancer
StPeteCruiser recovering from Appendicitis
Covid in Durango shelter staff
Heartgrove brother about to be discharged with extremely poor prognosis
From the rotation:
Bennybear DH with melanoma
Strength and healing for Kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs and covid
Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Curt discharged to rehab facility
Ann and Pat in  Newfoundland
Sam feeling better
Volendam caring for refugees
5 days for Cat in My Lap  (Zaandam 7/9 to 8/13)
Welcome home Nicklepenny
jimgev in Alaska
rafinmd  (QM2 to July  8), Mister Boston (Celebrity Summit to July  10)  Norseh2o  (Insignia to 7/4), Crazy for Cats (Zaandam to 7/9), GTVCRUISER (Carnival Panorama to July 9) and ski ww (Oosterdam to July 16)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 10

Well bbq it will be after all. There wasn't as much steak left from yesterday as I thought, so I had it for lunch 😉 and it's bbq chicken, roasted peppers and garlic bread tonight. 

The fireworks started before 9 this morning and haven't stopped all day.  I hope everyone is having a good day!

• Like 19

26 minutes ago, srdancer said:

Hope this isn’t too political, but I think we need to raise the age for purchasing  semi automatic   weapons and cartridges to 150!! Shooting into a holiday parade! OMG!

So sad to hear the news from Chicago.

Prayers 🙏 and Condolences to all the families of the victims of the shooting.

Graham.

• Like 10

Happy 4th of July everyone. 

I got kicked out of cruise critic about 4 hours ago. It finally let me back in. No idea what on earth is going on there.

I like all the days, the food, the drink and the wine, even if it is a little over my budget comfort.  Country music has always been my favorite. For many years my husband and I went to see The Oak Ridge Boys every year when they performed in Laughlin, Nev. And yes we could fry an egg on the sidewalk almost every day here.

Yesterday was quite busy as I went to church in the morning then returned at 3PM to help in the kitchen for our Pot Luck Fellowship dinner. There was a very good attendance which is rather unusual for July. So many of our members are winter visitors and went home in  April if not before

No BBQ for me today. I am having fried chicken, potato salad, and crudites with a fudgesicle for dessert. 

Now to go back and read yesterday's daily.

Jane

• Like 20

1 hour ago, srdancer said:

Wasn’t trying to be funny.

No you weren't but 150 as opposed to an outright ban.  I think the difference is adding a touch of humor that makes it a bit less political, and perhaps a better way of getting the point across.

Roy

• Like 15

Happy Independence Day to all USA cruise critic members.

Here It's another lovely sunny winter day, temperature 14C.

@kazu hope that today is a much improved day for you. Thanks for the link to the weed killer recipe.

@Cat in my lap Bon Voyage.

@aliaschief thank you for sharing your beautiful photos, enjoy the remainder of your visit with the family.

Best wishes to those on the Care list.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

1 minute ago, srdancer said:

They have caught the person of interest they were looking for.

Thank you for this information, the story was on our lunchtime TV news.

• Like 15

We live in the northern suburbs of Chicago and our Fourth of July was taken away from us today.   There is nothing funny about the situation and what happened here today, and what is happening all over our country more and more.  

Cruising to distant lands, touring and meeting folks from all over and of all walks of life have taught us that no matter where we have been - be it Europe, Asia, the South Pacific, South America or the Middle East - we have been to places that we never imagined we would be privileged to go - some places that we were reluctant to visit but were ports on our itineraries - but we have learned and seen that we are all just folk and we all want the same basic things:  food, shelter, family, health and peace.  

Prayers for those whose security and peace were savagely interrupted today and so many times in so many places recently. 

Thank you for the Fleet Report which has always been a safe place visited daily by “folk”.  Some days we need it more than others. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, arzz said:

We live in the northern suburbs of Chicago and our Fourth of July was taken away from us today.   There is nothing funny about the situation and what happened here today, and what is happening all over our country more and more.  

Cruising to distant lands, touring and meeting folks from all over and of all walks of life have taught us that no matter where we have been - be it Europe, Asia, the South Pacific, South America or the Middle East - we have been to places that we never imagined we would be privileged to go - some places that we were reluctant to visit but were ports on our itineraries - but we have learned and seen that we are all just folk and we all want the same basic things:  food, shelter, family, health and peace.  

Prayers for those whose security and peace were savagely interrupted today and so many times in so many places recently. 

Thank you for the Fleet Report which has always been a safe place visited daily by “folk”.  Some days we need it more than others. 

I totally agree with you about people are the same the world over.  We may look different and have different customs, but basically we want the same things out of life. 

Watching very young children who have not been taught to hate those who are different really brings the lesson home. It always reminds me of the song from South Pacific, "You've Got To Be Carefully Taught".  Children aren't born hating others, they are taught by those who hate.  Maybe someday, we'll learn from the little children of the world, and look at others as people.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2