The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 29th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning!  We called an audible yesterday after cancelling our trip to Baltimore we decided to head southwest to New Buffalo MI.    We have a couple more cool days so it was a good chance to have fun before getting back home to try to get a summer's worth of yard work caught up.  So we left after my rheumatologist appointment and took to the highway.  

Thank you for the Daily Reports!!   All of us on CC probably all should celebrate Maritime Day just thinking about a cruise.  Haven't been to a Broadway road show in years.   Whenever we went to NYC I would rather have a wonderful dinner than a show.   @dfish thank you for the pork carnitas recipes, the photos all looked yummy.  @cat shepard Thanks for researching the German Pinot Noir.  We had a few of those in Germany and they are getting better and better.   @Quartzsite Cruiser thank you for the photos of the Marshall Islands. 

While in New Buffalo we will have lunch at the marina and go to a massive outlet mall.  I need new running shoes ( I just walk ) and finding a good pair for over pronators online has been tough.  I may need to change brands from my beloved Saucony.     

Prayers for all in Ian's path.  The videos of the destruction on the west coast of FL are very sad.     Have a wonderful day! 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

@dfishDebbie, congratulations on you new home!   I love the ceiling height and the layout of the kitchen and you have a nice yard too!   Congratulations!!  

@StLouisCruisersthanks you for the photos of Nha Trang it looked like a nice port with a lot of history.  Your DDs Halloween tree is so cute, the candy corn ornaments are sweet!  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  What a terrible day yesterday was in Florida, and today is a repeat.  I hope that you are all safe, and that you east coasters stay safe today.

I was very sad to hear that the Sanibel Causeway bridge collapsed.  And there has been no pictures of what the island looks like now.   I only give to a few charities and C.R.O.W is out on the island, and that is one that we donate to.  I hope the staff and the critters are doing alright.

I called our BFF yesterday to catch up with the plans on our Holland cruise, and he says he has done no planning, while we were off cruising, he went to a funeral, thought wearing a mask might be tacky, and got Covid.  Rhode Island. He had been so worried about protocal, poor baby.

DH decided that for his meal this morning he would have a mini bagel, it's going to be along time until lunch.  

We decided that we would take a short trip to see DH's mom in early November.  Not during Thanksgiving. I would hate to miss all those work hours if the campaigns offer Black Friday specials. Ha!  DH has a new campaign, he is going back to Miami Ballet.  

Weather is clear, and cool.  Computer says it's 55.  The thermometer connection for the outside doesnt work and DH's phone says 57.  Wind makes it feel cooler.

Have a great day. 

a092f09dad1e90442939e449125dc997.jpg

• Like 27
  • Haha 2

Good morning! Woke up to a cool 56 degrees F so maybe we can start cooling the Gulf down and get rid of hurricane season 2022. My heart goes out to all of you who were in Ian’s path. Hopefully, your all safe with minimal property damage.

We enjoyed dinner alfresco on the bayou with friends last night. All systems fine on my six month checkup and my left arm definitely know it received my annual Senior flu shot.

We had enough wind gust here that the yard and decks need some clean up today. That being said it’s time to get moving and get some stuff done.

Thanks for the report and prayers for all in harms way.

• Like 28

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We'll definitely celebrate Maritime Day, appreciate many of the sayings attributed to Confucius, and although we've never seen a play on Broadway, we've had many touring groups come through our city that we've enjoyed.  

We've been watching the television most of last night and are appalled at the devastation that Ian has brought to so many.  Again, ever so grateful to live on the "frozen tundra" where we never have to deal with such things.  We can deal with the cold and snow, no problem.  I'm glad some of our Daily-ites are checking in so we don't worry about their safety.

Yesterday just after returning from DH's 3rd Covid booster, we had a phone call from our local pharmacy asking if DH and I were interested in getting the high dose flu shot - you bet!!  I jumped at the chance, because the more protection we have, the better off we are, so today at lunch time we're heading out to get our flu shots.  And, beginning today they've opened up the age range for the bi-valent Covid vaccine booster to anyone over the age of 18, so I was able to secure an appointment for me for tomorrow.  I'm going to have to be careful drinking wine so I don't end up looking like a fountain!

Yesterday we received an email telling us that our favourite hotel in Barcelona is closing down on October 31st for renovations . . . we're booked in from Nov 1 to 5.  Argh!  Of course we had booked using the Black Friday special code, getting a great rate, now that we're just a month away from leaving, the hotels are limited and the prices are 3x higher!  I'm waiting to hear back from them to see what they will do for us, but I'm not holding my breath.

@summer slopesorry your mango tree took a tumble, but hope you will be able to revive it without any problems.

@grapau27I do hope the lesions are able to be taken care of easily for you.

Despite the fact that Fiona and Ian have wreaked havoc in their wakes, we've been blessed with wonderful weather - yesterday was +27C and today is expected to be +29C.  Because we don't know how long this hot spell will last and we know we'll be indoors for many months, I think instead of making dinner tonight, we'll just head out and pick up some fast food to enjoy in the pergola tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for those who are hurting, especially those suffering from Fiona and Ian, and cheering for all the celebrations.   Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Checking in from Ocala, FL. All is well. Have just 1.4" in the rain gauge from the past 24 hours with sprinkles ongoing.  Far enough north of Orlando/I-4 to have avoided the worst of Ian.

Don't usually post here although I read and use icons daily and sometimes respond to other posts.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7

Good morning. I am glad we heard from a lot of the Daily Floridians  but am appalled by the severe storm damage and flooding from Ian.It is just awful.Please be careful in Georgia  and the Carolinas as well.

I will celebrate the days and like the recipes.We have not been to the Marshall Islands.

So far,fingers crossed,  we are feeling OK here and  will test tomorrow. The new aide  comes back this afternoon. 

We had planned  a weekend trip to New Hampshire  to see our son and his family but postponed this for the following weekend.

• Like 23

Just a quick update. The NHC tracks the eye much further South of me and Ian has picked up speed! Maximum gusts at 75 mph in Daytona.

Still a dangerous storm, but I will definitely be on the West side of the storm and the rainfall prediction has been lowered to 15 inches max. 

Hope the trend continues for our Georgian and Carolinian Dailyites. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 10

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thankyou all for being here!

Surprising four days later our injection sites still ache from our booster shot on Monday. We actually did have a little reaction for the first 56-hours but felt fine yesterday, 

We booked our Noordam cruise for 2024 on Wednesday with our new PCC. Thanks again, Cat! Back to the old days of having someone who responds! My friend in Oz returned from their two-month trip in Europe the other day so sent him an email about our plans. He is happy to hear that we will be visiting again! Now to plan the Melbourne to Sydney portion. The Grand Princess is doing a two-night cruise with perfect timing for the HAL cruise. The other option is the 11-1/2 hour XPT train ride which we did on our first visit in 2004. Older and wiser now, I think I would rather cruise! If anyone has cruised on the Grand Princess (or any other Grand-class) I would be interested to hear opinions. I am thinking a two-night cruise will be more a party cruise.

Sue finally listened to me and saw my Nurse Practitioner for Cortisone shots in her knees. It has given her immediate relief. Tomorrow I will meet with him to go over the MRI of my right knee and have the hyaluronic acid shots in both of my knees.  I had them once before so I know it will help on our upcoming trip.

Off to the Big Box store for Sue's new glasses.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Thanks to all who contribute to this great morning read!  We will celebrate Maritime Day with a final check on our packing for our October 6th cruise. It is the make-up of our final cancelled due to  Covid-19 cruise. We meet a sister and BIL, brother & SIL in Southhampton to board NCL, The Jade for 10 days in Northern Europe. Haven't traveled on NCL in years, it will be interesting to see how NCL compares to HAL...

After a few days  in London and a week in Lisbon, we board Oceania's Sirena for a transatlantic to Miami in November. 

DM is adjusting to her new spiffy living place, she and staff still working out some of her daily schedule.Thankful for our  large family who visit often, write letters and keep her in their prayers.  Hopeful that the storms in the south ease up. 

Gerry, bad hotel news, but thank you for sharing. I will recheck our reservations this morning.  

Remember you are half water. If you can't go through an obstacle, go around it. Water does.

• Like 23

Good Morning Everyone. So much damage in Delray beach Florida where we wintered for 5 years before the pandemic. A tornado hit in the development of Kings Point and did major damage. I think there is still flooding there this morning. I have friends in Boca and Delray and they have checked in and are ok. Still waiting to hear from family and friends on the west coast, especially in Naples where we have CC friends. 

I havent been on in a few days. Lots of excitement here. Sam has shingles. One doctor told him he was contageous, so he didnt attend our family celebration of Rosh Hashanna. My grandkids havent had the shingles shot. He has a new aide coming on Sunday. The wonderful one we have now is returning to her country of Georgia where her very young children havent seen her for over a year and are suffering emotionally from their feelings of abandonment. The new aide also comes from georgia and we're just hoping she will be ok. 

Not sure I mentioined that our oldest daughter suffered a concussion on Aug. 26th when she took our grandson to college. She closed the trunk of the car and was hit by the bike rack. her husband drove her home and she has been living in a dark room, unable to work remotely since then. She is hopefully on the mend.

We are preparing for some rain here from Ian and hope that's all we get.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 17
  • Thanks 10

We are still in Houston- looking at horrible news about Ian.  The airport in Tampa is still closed, but we fly Saturday so shouldn’t be a problem.  Surprisingly there are over 250,000 power outages in Tampa and St. Petersburg.  Duke has a website of outages showing the locations and numbers.  We have a lot of power lines downed by trees.  I am anxious to go home to check for problems.

We are so lucky, I hope others are staying safe!  

I used to try to grow catnip for my various cats, they all loved it, so much so that plants would not last long.  They would roll over it.  I even tried using tomato cages to keep their bodies out of it, but they found ways to get to it- was funny really!

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Happy National Coffee Day!  I had mine after the kids got breakfast.  Sadly I had to cancel our March cruise, DH has a work conference that he must attend.  Hopefully we will find a replacement vacation for the spring.  Today’s meal suggestion is a winner.  Thank you @dfish for the recipes and pictures.  I hope everyone stays safe and has a good day.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

I am hesitant to give an update on the Bolt Creek Fire with all that is going on with Fiona and Ian. I know many Floridians that evacuated are uncertain of what they are going to find when they return home. That is unsettling. 

We hope to return to Skykomish today from our condo in Westport. The highway in and out of town is still closed due to fire activity on the road, so we will have to add 3-4 hours to our trip to get around to the other side of the Cascades and work our way east over Stevens Pass. An inconvenience, but still doable. 

Besides the highway being closed, the fire continues to grow, the school is having to do remote learning again and USPS and other deliveries are all on hold again (after just one day of open roads for deliveries). Skykomish is still on a level two evacuation notice.

Structural protection has been a priority for the fire crews, and they are doing a great job. The fire has grown a couple thousand acres over the past few days by creeping and flanking and with rollouts. The fire is up to 13% containment now. It has jumped defense lines in a few places and the firefighters have had to move from monitors to actively fighting back the flames. They even brought in helicopters for water drops and air support.

We did get a light sprinkling of rain yesterday and hope for a little more rain today, but then temperatures are headed back into the upper 70's and low 80's for the near future, and humidity is dropping again. Ironically, we had a thick blanket of snow on the ground a few years ago by this date and people were mourning the loss of summer.  

Edited by HAL4NOW
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 16

33 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good Morning Everyone. So much damage in Delray beach Florida where we wintered for 5 years before the pandemic. A tornado hit in the development of Kings Point and did major damage. I think there is still flooding there this morning. I have friends in Boca and Delray and they have checked in and are ok. Still waiting to hear from family and friends on the west coast, especially in Naples where we have CC friends. 

I havent been on in a few days. Lots of excitement here. Sam has shingles. One doctor told him he was contageous, so he didnt attend our family celebration of Rosh Hashanna. My grandkids havent had the shingles shot. He has a new aide coming on Sunday. The wonderful one we have now is returning to her country of Georgia where her very young children havent seen her for over a year and are suffering emotionally from their feelings of abandonment. The new aide also comes from georgia and we're just hoping she will be ok. 

Not sure I mentioined that our oldest daughter suffered a concussion on Aug. 26th when she took our grandson to college. She closed the trunk of the car and was hit by the bike rack. her husband drove her home and she has been living in a dark room, unable to work remotely since then. She is hopefully on the mend.

We are preparing for some rain here from Ian and hope that's all we get.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Carol, so sad to hear Sam has shingles.  That is very painful from what my friends told me.  Has he had the shingles shots? I wondered if they helped to reduce the symptoms and side effects.

Ouch for your DD!   I hope she's feeling better soon.  That must have raised quite a knot on her head.  

Good luck with your new aide!🤞

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thankyou all for being here!

Surprising four days later our injection sites still ache from our booster shot on Monday. We actually did have a little reaction for the first 56-hours but felt fine yesterday, 

We booked our Noordam cruise for 2024 on Wednesday with our new PCC. Thanks again, Cat! Back to the old days of having someone who responds! My friend in Oz returned from their two-month trip in Europe the other day so sent him an email about our plans. He is happy to hear that we will be visiting again! Now to plan the Melbourne to Sydney portion. The Grand Princess is doing a two-night cruise with perfect timing for the HAL cruise. The other option is the 11-1/2 hour XPT train ride which we did on our first visit in 2004. Older and wiser now, I think I would rather cruise! If anyone has cruised on the Grand Princess (or any other Grand-class) I would be interested to hear opinions. I am thinking a two-night cruise will be more a party cruise.

Sue finally listened to me and saw my Nurse Practitioner for Cortisone shots in her knees. It has given her immediate relief. Tomorrow I will meet with him to go over the MRI of my right knee and have the hyaluronic acid shots in both of my knees.  I had them once before so I know it will help on our upcoming trip.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Jack, we have sailed on Golden Princess, a Grand class ship, three times.  It's a very nice ship, with plenty of activities day and night.  

We had one Aussie couple tell us they don't sail out of Oz because the cruises are booze cruises.  Not sure what their definition of booze cruises is though.

For two nights, it shouldn't be a problem.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A very early good morning from central Texas.  I'm up early since it takes me longer than DH to get ready to leave.  We'll be heading out for his tests about 7:30.

I will definitely celebrate Maritime Day, but wish we could celebrate it on a BHB.  It's been 57 years since I saw a play on Broadway, but loved going to the theaters.  Confucius was a wise man.

I like the C. S. Lewis quote.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink, but the wine sounds nice.  I just hope it is not too pricey.

@summer slope  Again, I'm glad you are safe.  Sorry your mango tree fell over, and I hope it can be replanted.

@kazu  Jacqui, try not to overdo it today with the planters.  I'm sorry you had to mention the "S" word.

@dfish  Debbie, getting a truck for your move is a nice step forward.

@*Miss G*  I'm glad you made it safely to in spite of  a bumpy flight.

We visited Majuro on June 6, 2005, on a Islands of the Pacific Theater cruise from Honolulu to Beijing on Pacific Princess.  Majuro is a small atoll with some land above sea level.  There is not much to see there, but we did find a local tour bus for a short tour.  The Marshall Islands are a small republic, but they rely on the US for some things.  They also use, or did in 2005, the US Postal Service.

Our first stop on our tour was the Peace Park at the other end of the island,

IMG_4501.thumb.JPG.3e300fc6a4730eed905b335dd842824f.JPG

IMG_4505.thumb.JPG.3edb1bda44048f6faec24acc655d7687.JPG

IMG_4506.thumb.JPG.bda80b9d754f683fc808438e1e7ce93e.JPG

IMG_4507.thumb.JPG.9008457babfd1c501ad13ac6f633d8b2.JPG

Our tour bus

IMG_4511.thumb.JPG.8107fc711b9089fb6c7c697a8e95db03.JPG

Downtown Majuro

IMG_4517.thumb.JPG.79cd49e3024b2e29ff43a7f7fa8187f8.JPG

IMG_4518.thumb.JPG.4bafeeaccf8f9cedc4c6cae6f12ead5a.JPG

The Post Office

IMG_4519.thumb.JPG.b907b965966044f16eee1e04265b5c91.JPG

Bikini City Hall.  We could not take a boat to Bikini, but they had this building that was part museum.

IMG_4520.thumb.JPG.31ae55c58d456cb367512fbd6b2ad4a2.JPG

One of the exhibits

IMG_4522.thumb.JPG.33cd5a5b746667055c05b6f4920a21af.JPG

Pretty flowers everywhere

IMG_4525.thumb.JPG.f7943d70f93b093010bc26aae864810e.JPG

A reminder of the test bombs dropped on Bikini.  I hope someone reminds Putin what the nuclear options does.

IMG_4526.thumb.JPG.4871d012bf28e6015db868b56e7f4b51.JPG

Majuro from the ship.

IMG_4533.thumb.JPG.880dfda47c8487da996ab14841fc2ac4.JPG

IMG_4534.thumb.JPG.9a1b94e5475ccb7aecd2cc2d264ede90.JPG

Lenda

Thank you  for  the  photos.

Jim.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning to all.

Right now it is calm here.  That will change as the day goes on as we are next up for Ian’s wrath.

I don’t think we will get the same pounding as our friends in Florida but we are expected to get some flooding high winds and rain.  We are under a hurricane/tropical storm warning.

it is anyone’s guess where it will make its third landfall. Speculation is near Savannah,  That is just south of where we live.

Please say a prayer for us.  We don’t any more drama in our lives, nor do we need any more water in our house.

Great collection of days.  I have to like Maritime Day or I would not be a cruiser.  

As a former New Yorker, I loved going to Broadway shows. I miss that so much.  The productions here are of High School Play quality and just don’t measure up. 

Happy Birthday to Confucius.  A great philosopher.

I will pass on the meal and drink.

Maybe the wine.

I have not been to Majuro, Marshall Islands.

I have a hairdresser appointment this morning and then I will devote the rest of the day to packing for Barbados.  However, still not sure we are going to get there.  Trying to think positively.

Finished all my ironing yesterday.

I have not found my earring.  Don’t understand why St. Anthony is abandoning me.  Maybe I have burdened him too much!

Prayers to all our friends in Florida in the path of Ian’s wrath.

Also prayers for those on the Cares list and Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Hope everyone has a good day.

God Bless,

Terri

Will offer up  prayers for  you.

Jim.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Hi Jack.

We cruised to Hawaii and back to San Francisco on the Grand Princess in November/December 2019 and enjoyed the ship.

Food and service was very good.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1