The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday February 9th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

5 hours ago, superoma said:

Good morning all. Raining heavily this am. Water already ponding under my chestnut tree. Only clumps of snow left sporadically since we have  been just above freezing for several days.I know you don’t need the rain @kazubut hopefully the warmth will reach you.

thanks - would love warmth (so would my elbow) but as usual - it’s snow, freezing rain, snow, freezing rain/rain and deep freeze.  I’ll have to get my guy to come to de-ice my driveway again if what they forecast is true.

4 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

With Sue finally feeling better from her bout with COVID and mutually agreed we could be in the same room together, the discussion came up about what to do.

So glad to hear Sue is feeling better and on the road to recovery.  How nice that you can be together again ♥️ 

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@kazu Nice to see you here. Good to hear no cast and no splint! Good luck with the careful physio. How about I put you on the Care List rotation? 

That sounds fine - I’ll be like this for a while and there’s no point in tying up the Care list when there are so many others with bigger problems.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@kazu Is the Motion Ease the drops behind the ear? 

Yes it is, Jose put them right behind his ears and was a happy camper - especially too after I finally won at getting him to eat green apples (they do help) and we always had ginger.   I rarely suffer from Mal de Mer, fortunately. 👍 

53 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

It looks like he has arthritis in the first joint of his big toe (the "this little piggy went to market" toe) which is causing him grief.  A suggestion to wear comfortable shoes was made, as well as taking Tylenol to deal with the pain that may occur.  We are thankful it wasn't anything more than that.

Sorry to hear you DH has some pain but so glad it is just the arthritis and hopefully it can be dealt with.  🤞 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good afternoon,

I am back from my surgery. Left arm is numb which is a weird feeling. Anesthesiologist advised taking the 12 hour morphine at bedtime. He said it will hurt when it wakes up. Surgeon said lots of arthritis so it should feel better once healed. My angel of a niece is taking good care of me. 

Glad you are home safe and being cared for 👍. Sounds like a successful operation.  Definitely follow the advice and to quote my DD DH who knew a lot of pain - it’s important to stay on top of the pain.  If it gets too bad you can’t overcome it.  Hope the morphine does the trick for you and you are not in too much pain tomorrow 🙏🏻 

• Like 16

51 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good (late) morning all!

I guess I'm playing the waiting game too.  So far I haven't heard from the doctor.  Granted my test results came in late yesterday, so I'm not surprised.  If I don't hear from her pretty soon I'll call this afternoon.  Meanwhile I'm continuing to guzzle that water...  DSIL said yesterday that one thing they should do is cut out my Metformin because one of my lab results is so low it requires cutting out that drug.  As he said, it's deflating to do everything you should and still get poor results...so I'm bummed today.  A1C and blood pressure are all good, this is just very puzzling to happen  so abruptly.  Thanks for the encouraging posts and Debbie @dfishthat's very encouraging to hear about your dear Dad's experience.

We had pizza just a few days ago so will pass on that, like others I can't imagine celebrating a toothache, and no tub now to read in.  We took it out and extended the shower.  Will pass on the meal, drink and red wine.  We've been to Athens several times and spent several days there before cruises.  I won't post photos as they would be too much like those already posted.  We always like going to that port!

Jacqui @kazugreat news that you're out of the splint and no cast required!  Hurray!

Nancy @ottahand7I hope you're able to return to your own cabin today and even more I hope that the odor is gone.

Paul @kochleffelvery sorry to hear about the positive Covid test. I hope your symptoms are few and mild.

Sandi @StLouisCruiserssafe travels tomorrow and Bon Voyage!!  

Many thanks for your kind wishes.  Hope when you talk to the doctor she has a plan to get your numbers straightened out.  Take care!

32 minutes ago, dfish said:

@StLouisCruisers

bon-voyage-card-vacation-illustration-headline-flat-mosaic-style-52335720.thumb.jpg.b3084c6469a5462f097540200a4f68b8.jpg

I hope your cruise is fabulous!  Relax, enjoy, and know the Daily is in capable hands.

I decided not to paint today and did laundry instead.  I may head over to Lowe's and get the new light fixture for the dining room.  The one we have now is hung at one end of the dining room leaving the other end in the dark.  And, it looks like a bunch of UFOs hovering over our dinner.

Thank you Debbie!  Looking for new light fixtures sounds exciting.  I like looking for new lights for the house.  I can just picture your current DR fixture!

18 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good afternoon,

I am back from my surgery. Left arm is numb which is a weird feeling. Anesthesiologist advised taking the 12 hour morphine at bedtime. He said it will hurt when it wakes up. Surgeon said lots of arthritis so it should feel better once healed. My angel of a niece is taking good care of me. 

Prayers to all on and if the list. Happy sailings to the lucky ones leaving on their next cruise. 

Lorraine, glad you are back home now.  I know you'll follow those instructions perfectly.  I hope you heal quickly.  🤕

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

This morning we kept hearing a noise banging on the window in the living room.  When we open up the plantation shutters a female Cardinal keeps flying off.  I wonder why she's messing around with our window today?  Could it be one of our loved ones visiting from heaven?  🐦😇 

I think so, we haven’t seen them much until the last few days, messengers from heaven. 

A1C96FFB-B851-4FFE-8D2A-4C973B011A96.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I think so, we haven’t seen them much until the last few days, messengers from heaven. 

A1C96FFB-B851-4FFE-8D2A-4C973B011A96.jpeg

I think so, too.  Could be my Mom or Sister.   Except my Dad loved bluebirds so when the many bluebirds around me perch on my deck railing I say Hi Dad because that's the type of bird he would come back as.

1 minute ago, erewhon said:

@StLouisCruisers  Thank you  for posting the locations of the Holland America Line Fleet, and the Daily.

Will read all the posts later.

Thanks back at you!  It's going to take you a while to get through them all.  We talk a lot!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you Charlene.  I sure will wave at you.  Anyone else here along 95?  I need the exercise while sitting all day.👋

Sandi

Safe travels tomorrow. When you get to exit 278, please look to the East & wave!😎

Ann

• Like 11

1 minute ago, cat shepard said:

Sandi

Safe travels tomorrow. When you get to exit 278, please look to the East & wave!😎

Ann

Ann, I did that both ways last trip so will be happy to wave again. So exit 75 and 278 so far.   More exercise.  Also, I'll be wearing my compression stockings too because that's a long drive.👋👋

• Like 13

Good morning still here and thanks all!  Wonderful dinner and drinks!  
@kazuGlad to hear Jacqui is out of the splint and cast, but sorry for the need to be extra careful.  Glad you are getting such good care!  You go girl, on the consultation, it’s not right that you were not given much assistance.  
@Seasick SailorJoy, I’m hoping you get some good advice soon and heal up well enough to enjoy your cruise.  I too am in the same boat, I bring wrist bands, ginger gravol and take a meclizine at the first sign of any roughness.  And Jacqui is right on the green apples too! Let us know how you get on, I have avoided transoceanic cruises.  

@Cruising-along Carolyn, sorry to hear your news,  so hard when you do everything right! 
@kochleffel Paul, sorry to hear your news, hope the paxlovid loved works well quickly for you.  
@cat shepardgreat news on the checkup! 

We’ve visited Athens many times so last visit took the opportunity to do an overnight private tour from the ship to Meteora.  Well worth it, spectacular monasteries.  

3740DE99-733B-4113-8B0C-634E2790A130.jpeg

E2097116-2A4E-4279-BF9A-012F21F8AD25.jpeg

36C8F755-0980-4577-B7EA-1C56EF0E2C13.jpeg

1C633A95-7FA7-421F-84EE-EA4BDF8B2F4F.jpeg

A520C806-F9E2-4E17-AE1B-3E9DC1874AA0.jpeg

53438093-C054-4CB6-B417-34F29DC17D23.jpeg

E3EE08E9-9CC3-4F0A-B5FF-93F147877A45.jpeg

542C0D3F-2D7F-493F-9A2C-224F8B2826CE.jpeg

F0758D0E-F7E3-4C96-8DED-CCB91EBAD256.jpeg

C2A5D419-3261-4B28-8838-5218BAAC2D1D.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon from a sunny and now warm (64F) central Texas.  Today turned out to be busier than expected.  The laundry was washed, dried, folded and put away before 2 pm, and I had also gotten my haircut by then.  Plus a few minor chores were taken care of, too.

Instead of pizza tonight, since it's a nice day with little to no wind, DH will be grilling pork chops for our dinner.  I'll sauté some squash and make a salad, plus wine of course.  We'll celebrate pizza day tomorrow when it will colder and windier.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Joy.

Sarah went to work today and she is still tired but is taking less painkillers now.

I hope you are feeling better today.

Graham.

Graham, I'm glad Sarah is doing better and taking less painkillers.  It's progress that she was able to go to work today.  Pain will wear you out quickly.

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

@Seasick Sailorit sounds like you've got all angles covered.  Like you, I'm someone who gets seasick, so always take precautions.  Over the years I've found taking 1/2 of a tablet of Bonine (Meclizine) at night beginning the night before we leave home and continuing throughout the cruise works for me.  I figure if it makes me drowsy, I'm going to bed anyway, and it won't matter.  I also always carry candied ginger in my pocket or purse whenever we travel.

Now, regarding your doctor - would it be possible to go to a walk-in clinic, telling them that you have an issue from a fall, referring them to your results and see what they could recommend?  It sounds like your doctor has terrible bedside manners, or just can't be bothered to deal with you properly.  

On another note, we went to DH's medical appointment and our doctor said just what I did - that DH is aging and his body is showing wear and tear.  It looks like he has arthritis in the first joint of his big toe (the "this little piggy went to market" toe) which is causing him grief.  A suggestion to wear comfortable shoes was made, as well as taking Tylenol to deal with the pain that may occur.  We are thankful it wasn't anything more than that.

Hope everyone has a great afternoon!

Gerry, that was a good suggestion to Joy @Seasick Sailorof trying a walk-in clinic.  Sorry your DH is suffering from what my father's doctor called "process aging".  However, I would prefer to age as opposed to the alternative.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

@StLouisCruisers

bon-voyage-card-vacation-illustration-headline-flat-mosaic-style-52335720.thumb.jpg.b3084c6469a5462f097540200a4f68b8.jpg

I hope your cruise is fabulous!  Relax, enjoy, and know the Daily is in capable hands.

I decided not to paint today and did laundry instead.  I may head over to Lowe's and get the new light fixture for the dining room.  The one we have now is hung at one end of the dining room leaving the other end in the dark.  And, it looks like a bunch of UFOs hovering over our dinner.

Debbie, laundry is less messy than painting.  Hope you find the perfect light fixture.  In Quartzsite, our DR light fixture is hung in what is supposedly the center of the ceiling, but because of the overhang on the island, it is not in the middle of the table.  We've learned to live with it and the fact it is too low since we have a mid-rise table.  That problem was solved by tying part of the chain to a higher link.

2 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Screenshot_20230209-121549.thumb.png.65827addc211498a166575fc8f06f558.png

From 1999: A very special travel memory -- helping my 86 year old mother manage the climb to the top of the Acropolis. She wanted to see the Parthenon in person; not in pictures!

-Melisa

(The full story of her climb is posted on the July 14, 2022's The Daily, page 4, post #98.)

Melisa, your mother at 86 was very impressive to make that climb.  I hope I can do that in 10+ years.

59 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good afternoon,

Prayers to all on and if the list. Happy sailings to the lucky ones leaving on their next cruise. 

Lorraine, I'm glad the surgery was a success and you are home with your niece giving you good care.  I hope the strong pain meds keep the pain under control.  

32 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Kathi @Scrapnana has updated her blog. https://2022-2023hal.blogspot.com/

Vanessa, thanks for posting the link to Kathi's @Scrapnana blog.  I'm glad she has a diagnosis and is undergoing treatment.  She has a long road ahead of her., and I wish her the best. 

2 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@kazuGlad to hear Jacqui is out of the splint and cast, but sorry for the need to be extra careful.  Glad you are getting such good care!  You go girl, on the consultation, it’s not right that you were not given much assistance.  
@Seasick SailorJoy, I’m hoping you get some good advice soon and heal up well enough to enjoy your cruise.  I too am in the same boat, I bring wrist bands, ginger gravol and take a meclizine at the first sign of any roughness.  Let us know how you get on, I have avoided transoceanic cruises.  

@Cruising-along Carolyn, sorry to hear your news,  so hard when you do everything right! 
@kochleffel Paul, sorry to hear your news, hope the paxlovid loved works well quickly for you.  

We’ve visited Athens many times so last visit took the opportunity to do an overnight private tour from the ship to Meteora.  Well worth it, spectacular monasteries.  

Brenda, thanks for the pictures of such an amazing place.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Thanks @JazzyV, for the link to Kathi’s blog. But you can you tell me how to get a comment posted? I always get an error notice. Thanks!

I didn't do anything special. I just clicked right below what she wrote where it says how many comments there are. Scroll up a bit to where the comments show, and after the last one there's a box to enter a comment. I didn't want to sign up for anything, so it posts as anonymous and I put my CC name at the end. Are you on a PC or phone? Perhaps that makes some difference.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I think so, too.  Could be my Mom or Sister.   Except my Dad loved bluebirds so when the many bluebirds around me perch on my deck railing I say Hi Dad because that's the type of bird he would come back as.

Thanks back at you!  It's going to take you a while to get through them all.  We talk a lot!

I'm sure you are right Sandi.

We often find white feathers in unusual places when speaking about our late parents.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@Seasick SailorJoy, I’m hoping you get some good advice soon and heal up well enough to enjoy your cruise.  I too am in the same boat, I bring wrist bands, ginger gravol and take a meclizine at the first sign of any roughness.  And Jacqui is right on the green apples too! Let us know how you get on, I have avoided transoceanic cruises.  

@cat shepardgreat news on the checkup! 

Thank you SO much for the photos of Meteora!  We went there once on a tour from Volos, Greece on Prinsendam and it was so densely fogged in we couldn't see a thing in front of us.  I would love to go back on a beautiful day like you had.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I didn't do anything special. I just clicked right below what she wrote where it says how many comments there are. Scroll up a bit to where the comments show, and after the last one there's a box to enter a comment. I didn't want to sign up for anything, so it posts as anonymous and I put my CC name at the end. Are you on a PC or phone? Perhaps that makes some difference.

I found if you want to put a name or handle to sign your post, tap on the drop down menu and choose name/url. URL is not required.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good afternoon,

So glad to hear the surgery went well.  And,  yes, it will hurt when it wakes up.  I'm glad  you got something that will be effective against the pain.  For my knee replacements they were walking on eggshells prescribing pain medication and the legislature tied their hands on how much they could prescribe.  It was a nightmare.  Daytime wasn't too bad.  I could distract the pain.  But try to sleep.  

It is a good thing I measured before I ran off to buy the light fixture.  The one we want has a 6 ft. cord and a 3 foot chain.  We figured we could just buy more chain. Not quite.  We will need at least 9 ft. of cord and the same amount of chain.  We have to swag the light over to the middle section of the ceiling, install a hook, and hang it from there.  To go underneath and install directly in the part of the ceiling we want will cost us $1500.   I think we'll swag it. 

Here's a shot of the UFO light fixture.

IMG_2116.thumb.jpg.106918a5336ee3b7aaf6f2e96421f972.jpg

Not exactly my style.  

Am glad to read @Scrapnana's update.  She is getting the care and treatment she needs.  Thank goodness she got off the ship in Ft. Lauderdale and didn't have to be evacuated in a distant port.  

• Like 23

About two weeks ago I received an email from HAL that I could upgrade our September cruise to include HIA.  When I tried to apply it online it said this cruise isn’t eligible.  I emailed my PCC letting her know that we wanted the deal. After over a week she let me know that the powers that be said no.  I sent her the original offer this afternoon and about ten minutes later she called me to say that it could be applied.  It certainly pays to keep the documentation.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, dfish said:

We have to swag the light over to the middle section of the ceiling, install a hook, and hang it from there.  To go underneath and install directly in the part of the ceiling we want will cost us $1500.   I think we'll swag it.

That's what I did. I use the family room as a dining room, and the junction box is in a corner where the original owners might have had a game table. I had ordered the light fixture from an Internet retailer, but obtained the swag kit at the blue store.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Wow. I’m impressed. Just add some baked beans to the toppings and you have a jacuzzi tub. 😀

That would work well, but if you do that, you no longer are enjoying pizza in the tub, instead you are eating a burrito in the bathtub, and we all know that isn't going to end well.

• Like 5
  • Haha 8