The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday February 9th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

10 minutes ago, summer slope said:

I don’t get seasick I get scared. We leave the end of January next year. 

I’m that way with planes.

Now that we’re booked for a cruise and a flight to get there, I’ve told DH no more Pilot Kelsey or other airline disasters on TV when I’m around. I still haven’t forgotten the Cerritos air crash many years ago and just a few miles from where we were living….

• Like 19

We have had no internet all morning and I don’t know how long we will have it now.

Since Tuesday, when we left Miami two hours later than scheduled (no reason given) we have been racing to get to Puerto Plata on time today (11 am).  We have been rocking and rolling since we left Miami.

This morning during breakfast there was an announcement that we would be an hour late because we could not make up the time and all tours would be adjusted.

There was just another announcement that the Port of Puerto Plata has closed due to high winds and that we would not be docking.  So all that rushing to get here for nothing.  Just another day at sea,.

The one nice thing is that we will be docking in San Juan at 7:30 am instead of 1pm as originally planned and will have a nice long day there.  I love San Juan.  I studied Spanish in Puerto Rico back in the 70s and used to go to San Juan for my work on a regular basis.  So we will enjoy the longer stay in port. And I wil get a pair of sunglasses.

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisersfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  I wish you a happy cruise.

Thank you to all who contribute to this thread and make it the positive place that it is.

Prayers for all who are on the cares list and condolences to those who have recently lost loved ones.

Cheers to those who are celebrating and cruising.

@Seasick Sailor hope you are doing better and enjoy your cruise.

Hope all those who have injuries from recent falls are healing.

@rafinmd Good to see that you are trying to be out and about, albeit ever so slowly.  Glad you are making progress.

I am signing off before I get knocked off.

Take care everyone and

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

@kochleffelso sorry you have Covid.  I hope it is a mild case.  I don't want to jinx us but since our one early January we haven't had a Covid test so numbers must be low onboard. 

@StLouisCruisers Bon Voyage, enjoy your upcoming cruise! 🍾⛴️. No air cleaner in the cabin just those giant fans. Now the have one running in the hall about 12 cabins down from us. 

@Seasick Sailor I hope you can see a doctor who can help you. 

Captain Arno did his noon briefing and will be departing on Saturday in Montevideo. He said a captain who was on the Volendam previously will be returning.   We have a 7:15 report time for our shore excursion tomorrow going to an art museum, a scenic lookout and then to a winery hotel for lunch and wine tasting.  I hope it isn't three buses worth of visitors.  No message on our answering machine so I will go up and shop my closet once more for clothes for dinner and tomorrow. Tomorrow is also a Tamarind pop up.  Hope we return in time.  Nancy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

After our cruise on the Carnival Legend last month, we found CC sea days are not of interest compared to HAL sea days.

On my NCL cruise last week, I found the many sea days (all days of the cruise since we docked for only 6 hours, at night) disappointing. In general I don't enjoy the typical cruise-ship entertainments (trivia, bingo, weird and embarrassing games) and I really missed the Lincoln Center Stage.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

@kochleffelso sorry you have Covid.  I hope it is a mild case.  I don't want to jinx us but since our one early January we haven't had a Covid test so numbers must be low onboard. 

@StLouisCruisers Bon Voyage, enjoy your upcoming cruise! 🍾⛴️. No air cleaner in the cabin just those giant fans. Now they have one running in the hall about 12 cabins down from us on Dolphin deck. 

Captain Arno did his noon briefing and will be departing on Saturday in Montevideo. He said a captain who was on the Volendam previously will be returning.   We have a 7:15 report time for our shore excursion tomorrow going to an art museum, a scenic lookout and then to a winery hotel for lunch and wine tasting.  I hope it isn't three buses worth of visitors.  No message on our answering machine so I will go up and shop my closet once more for clothes for dinner and tomorrow. Tomorrow is also a Tamarind pop up.  Hope we return in time.  Nancy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a sunny but cold (44F) central Texas.  It was very foggy when I opened the curtains this morning, but by 8:30 the sun had burned off the fog.  There's not much on the agenda today except laundry and a haircut.  

I'll celebrate pizza day, but not the other two.  The only thing to celebrate about a toothache is when the dentist finishes his work and the toothache is gone.  I tried reading tin the bathtub a few times, but found I much prefer showers even if I can't read in the shower.  🤣

Today's quote is just weird, but I hope to see travel in our future.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  I would like to try today's wine.

We have been to Piraeus and Athens several times over the years.  Our first visit was in 2003 on the old Regal Princess where we made it to the Acropolis.  I'll look for my pictures in a few minutes.

@0106  Thank you for the pictures from St. Lucia.

@rafinmd  Roy, I'm glad you are sleeping well and taking if relatively easy.

@cat shepard  Ann, I'm glad the dermatologist did not find anything yesterday, and you can now go six months between check ups.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I hope you get back in your cabin soon, but not before it is safe for you to avoid an asthma attack.

@kochleffel  Paul, I'm sorry you tested positive, and I hope it is a mild case.  I hope the Paxlovid helps with the symptoms.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, as others have said, it can be rough the first day or two heading to Hawaii, and it will be cool those days.  We have sailed to Hawaii from San Francisco, LA and San Diego, and if memory serves me correctly, the further south we were the seas were less rough.  We usually take meclizine which is the main ingredient in Bonine, if it starts getting rough.  We are not prone to sea sickness, but if I want to read in rough seas, I do take meclizine first.  I hope the doctor can at least prescribe a stronger pain reliever than OTC ones.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope your DH doesn't get any surprises at the doctor's appointment today.

@marshhawk  Annie, I'm glad that your DH's eye is feeling better.  I took pictures of DH's back after both surgeries since it was the only way he could see what they looked like.  I decided that even if the zip-tie closures were interesting, I would not share the pictures.  Thanks about the information to call 911 after a fall.

@dfish  Debbie, I've noticed that painting one room leads to finding more and more things to paint.  😁

@kazu  Jacqui, it was good to see you posting this morning.  I'm glad you don't need the cast of the splint, but please be careful.

@Heartgrove  Jack, I'm glad Sue is feeling better and that you got your final Carnival cruise rebooked.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, wishing you and your DH safe travels tomorrow.  Since you have a hotel for tomorrow night,  you can take your time if the weather is rainy.

DH just gave me the sad news that Burt Bacharach died yesterday.  He was 94.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

We have been to Athens at least four times, not counting the two times we flew home from there.  

In 2019 while on the Veendam, we took the Ho-Ho from Piraeus into Athens.  The first group of pictures were taken from the bus as we drove through Piraeus.

DSC06346.thumb.JPG.2ffed336a4192f3c806dc3530e99b553.JPG

DSC06347.thumb.JPG.b112f7e912df2e9eeea95d17c98bc388.JPG

DSC06353.thumb.JPG.8f648263a34ae0ca46b630bcb8f33548.JPG

The next pictures are from the bus in Athens.  It was one of the hottest days of the year, and they closed the Acropolis in the afternoon due to the heat.

DSC06357.thumb.JPG.e7abe3c823e0c32386ca775c33187f2e.JPG

A pedestrian shopping street

DSC06368.thumb.JPG.2e7a13527aeb966dd7eda8a067c1d6ac.JPG

A couple more pictures of Athens

DSC06370.thumb.JPG.31640151b10677cf643ee1e9af8e94dc.JPG

DSC06378.thumb.JPG.91d708e6d4f62eab10b07c11645dcf41.JPG

In 2017 on the Prinsendam, we took a taxi to the Acropolis, but due to the lines just waiting to get a ticket, we decided not to visit the top.  We'd been there in 2003 on the old Regal Princess.  Instead, we walked down the hill to the ancient agora and then to the modern agora.  This was a street between the Acropolis and the agora.

DSC01545.thumb.JPG.3cc4b1a00134177345e71523e1522a67.JPG

A small chapel along the way

DSC01539.thumb.JPG.4bf54ef2784e59d9f2632c5a2b40e76d.JPG

DSC01540.thumb.JPG.7befa9293ae2609d522542cb142c311a.JPG

The ancient agora

DSC01547.thumb.JPG.c9a5b9e07256072248a35ae029ff5722.JPG

DSC01551.thumb.JPG.d25532159f48957d86739915f83debbb.JPG

DSC01554.thumb.JPG.50daac2534c7e9fe151755731d8e402d.JPG

DSC01557.thumb.JPG.b49d732f3b84d94724ecfb9268b48939.JPG

The modern agora area near the train station.

DSC01566.thumb.JPG.509cbb54d7e1a7ddf7c44dba3964d7f7.JPG

DSC01567.thumb.JPG.f2228dbc8f0c727ce05284c1159014cb.JPG

An old church at the train station in Athens.

DSC01568.thumb.JPG.faf80844b5975d273d55182640b6f16b.JPG

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

I have a few more pictures from our stops in Athens and Piraeus.  The first one is a church in Piraeus between the cruise terminal and the train station.

DSC01533.thumb.JPG.0ab9919145fb9a00ebcc6742ba95ffed.JPG

In 2016 while on the Prinsendam, we took a tour to the Corinth Canal which included a boat ride through the canal.  The first picture is taken from the bridge over the canal.   On the Amazing Race, the contestants had to bungee jump from the bridge.  In the second picture, the small ship was stuck for a while and our boat circled the bay until the ship was moving again.

DSC08040.thumb.JPG.7df0b82a64b2e635eb01aca008534b04.JPG

DSC08051.thumb.JPG.7631a7f76cacb75585d97220d35bc39c.JPG

DSC08070.thumb.JPG.5f7768d39172e77710dc53fb5801e959.JPG

On our first visit to Athens in 2003, when we were much younger, and fitter, we climbed to the top of the Acropolis.  I know there are similar pictures, but no visit to Athens should leave out pictures of the Acropolis.

IMG_3263.thumb.JPG.9f7f8a4ef0c4fc63deafc48321a04794.JPG

IMG_3269.thumb.JPG.7af7949aeb2f5c2397e8236b5f700d5d.JPG

The ancient theater that has been modernized.

IMG_3250.thumb.JPG.cb2762e0b8bdb252a02ae3b17167567e.JPG

The ruins of another ancient theater

IMG_3282.thumb.JPG.47784ee8e21fffeb3baeaf5e6249c90d.JPG

IMG_3293.thumb.JPG.080a6703e383e1e6a1e48caf75abcb5d.JPG

Those seats do not look very comfortable.  I hope the performances didn't drag on too long.  😀

If anyone has not seen the movie "My Life in Ruins", you might like the movie.  It is set in many places like Delphi, the Acropolis, etc.  It’s a cute movie with a good cast and makes for a fun evening.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Wow.  My grocery run was early today and when I came back the thread was well onto page 3.  Been to Athens twice many years ago, both times as embarkation,  In 2008 it was a mostly forgettable cruise on Silver Whisper to Dubai.  The second was 2010 where I boarded Crystal Serenity to Rome, walked over to the Wind Surf to Barcelona and then flew to London for QM2 home.

Roy

• Like 23

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good morning all,

We have a lovely day here that just feels like spring. Today’s agenda includes visiting Dad, errands, a wood project and finishing a valentines gift for DH. The wood working is making a holder for HAL tiles for my neighbor’s fiancé’s birthday next week. I discovered my woodworking skills have disappeared into thin air, having left them unattended some 15 years. 😏 I think DH’s gift of an travel game made on my embroidery machine is coming along better.

@kazu Is the Motion Ease the drops behind the ear? 

@kochleffel, @superoma You have me intrigued on the dried mushrooms. Where do you get them, and what are they like? (The only ones I’ve seen are shitakes, and I don’t really care for them.)  

Have a great day everyone!

The dried porcini  mushrooms  are my secret ingredient  in stews. The shitakis are good but not as flavorful.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

Good morning. Same old same old with the weather. Sunny and cold. Dogs get a short walk early and then, when the sun is full, we do a longer walk. They really don't seem bothered by changes in routine. Today we are adding a light wind to the mix and it feels pretty darn cold.

I usually do not suffer from motion sickness (unlike when I was a child) but I have used the Motion Ease which seemed to work when whale watching on seas that should have kept us on land.  I usually carry something stronger just in case, but have not had to use it.

Not much going on. I have a lab appointment tomorrow morning for a blood draw (fasting) before a meeting with my primary care Dr. on Monday. Otherwise, paperwork, cleaning, tossing and hauling to thrift store will keep me occupied  for the next few days together with dog walking. Not much excitement but I like it that way.

Best wishes to all .... take care.

Susan

• Like 20

Screenshot_20230209-121549.thumb.png.65827addc211498a166575fc8f06f558.png

From 1999: A very special travel memory -- helping my 86 year old mother manage the climb to the top of the Acropolis. She wanted to see the Parthenon in person; not in pictures!

-Melisa

(The full story of her climb is posted on the July 14, 2022's The Daily, page 4, post #98.)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10

It is still morning here in the Pacific NW and looks like a dry day.  I had my physical therapy yesterday on my leg and while it was more painful when I left than when I arrived, it feels pretty good today.  I think the bending and stretching that the therapist does really helps it to heal.  Speaking of that, I don't agree with @marshhawk Ann says about immediately taking an ambulance and leaving your SO home if you have an incident like mine and need to go to a hospital.  I waited three days and there was no problem with the doctor ordering x-rays.  If I had taken an ambulance, there is not only the cost, but how would I get home from the hospital if my DW wasn't there?  And if one of us needs to see a doctor, the other one accompanies to understand how to help with the home treatment.  Anyway, we have been together for 60 years and that is what works for us.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites.

Many thanks to all who contribute. Sandi we will be missing your posts. Please try to stop in and say hello.  You always have something of interest and I enjoy you.

I pray your drive goes well and you have a perfect cruise. You deserve it!

Thinking of the devastating earthquake that struck down thousands. My heart aches for them. Prayers lifted to Roy, Jacqui, Tana, Kathi (hope she gives an update soon) and Graham what's going on with Sarah?

The luggage is finished and gone, I nearly have our weekender bags ready for the 3 days in San Diego.  We are both excited to see Ethan and hoping we have a smooth sailing out of San Diego on the 18th. Since we haven't sailed across to Hawaii before, can it be a bumpy ride? Maybe Seasick patches?

There's 35 minutes left before the clinic opens. I'm calling. "Not much can be done" but what CAN be done? I'll sit with my coffee and bag of frozen peas and Google it if need be. 

Enjoy toothache day..

image.png.018eb13b94d9f898f4bb45ce6c03757b.png

image.png.5dddc08b6fbd6a7419de013b3b773c27.png

image.png.23d971d3e40817dee86d80e8f4fa1558.png

Blessings for a great day. Be kind. Xx

Thank you Joy.

Sarah went to work today and she is still tired but is taking less painkillers now.

I hope you are feeling better today.

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I will celebrate national pizza day, although I may try a cauliflower or chicken crust to reduce the carbs. No thanks to a toothache! I shower, so no reading in the bathtub. Funny quote. The soup looks good. Pass on the drink, but yes to the wine.

I've been to Athens, although not on a cruise, and pre-digital photos.

It's already 50F here, but rain and high winds later. 

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting us up today and our lists. I'm glad the computer is working better. Nice photos from Piraeus. Safe travels tomorrow!

@0106 Great views of the Pitons.

@rafinmd Slow and steady progress, Roy.

@cat shepard Good news on nothing found at the Dermatologist!

@aliaschief Another great sunrise.

@ottahand7 I hope you get back in your cabin soon, although with no smells or anything to irritate your asthma. 

@kochleffel Paul, sorry to hear about the positive Covid test. I hope you're feeling relatively well and that the Paxlovid helps.

@Seasick Sailor When I sailed from LA to Hawaii there was some motion, but not bad. Initially it was cooler and windy on the decks when I tried to walk. I think your doctor's response wasn't great, not giving you much help. 

@smitty34877 I hope Tana is having better nights.

@kazu Nice to see you here. Good to hear no cast and no splint! Good luck with the careful physio. How about I put you on the Care List rotation? 

@marshhawk Good news that DH's eye feels better. 

@Heartgrove I'm glad Sue is feeling better. Good job on rebooking that Carnival cruise that didn't sound too interesting.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Try to stay well everyone.

Thank you Vanessa.  As usual you have a concise response to each poster you quote and it helps the rest of us keep track of what's going on in case we missed a post or three.😋 

2 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

I will celebrate Pizza day but a big No to toothache day. Who does that?

I was saddened to see so many on the Care list. Really hope things start to improve for everyone   Life is not fair sometimes

Sandi @StLouisCruisers  Have a wonderful and safe trip. Wave to me as you pass the Cocoa Beach exit on 95.  Also a big thank you for all you to keep this thread moving

@Seasick Sailor  I hope you get some relief. That is wicked  In my experience out of San Diego the seas can go either way  It is also cold the first few days  If you are prone to seasickness, I would certainly get something to be prepared.

@ottahand7 Thank you for your reports.  Since the excursions are not yet listed for our October trip (??)  it helps with my planning,

Off to play golf .  

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

Thank you Charlene.  I sure will wave at you.  Anyone else here along 95?  I need the exercise while sitting all day.👋

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I ordered the seasick dots. They are due today. I got Bonine at the market yesterday and I'll pick up the candied ginger at Whole Foods tomorrow. Also saw wrist band suggestion and get those too. Every year whale watching on Maui I took Bonine because honestly,  I am a Sea Sick Sailor!!

I think you've got it all covered Joy!  Sometimes those smaller sightseeing and whale watching boats can get pretty rocky.  Let me wish you a Bon Voyage too because you leave before I get back.  Enjoy your wonderful cruise with your sweet husband!

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

@StLouisCruisers,Sandi, Bon Voyage to you both .I hope the long drive is uneventful. I will also miss you!

Thanks to you too Terry!  So sweet to miss me.  If internet is good on the ship you might see me here every day!

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

@marshhawk Ann, I hope Chuck feels better. I had a Blepharoplasty done about two years ago to improve my peripheral vision. Sue said it improved my looks as well!  😄  It laid me up for about three days. I definitely have some scary pictures of that!

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, have awonderful trip.

@kochleffel Paul, I hope the Paxlovid helps. The doctor here wouldn't prescribe it for Sue and DSIL last week.

@kazu Jacqui, good to hear you are on the mend.

- Jack

Thank you Jack!  We intend to have a nice relaxing warm cruise and be waited on hand and foot.

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I suppose that some doctors might think that it's not helpful or needed, or be concerned about rebound. There are also many contraindications for it, especially other drugs with which it would interact.  I've arranged for someone to pick it up.

Get well soon Paul!  I hope the symptoms are so minor you don't even feel them.  

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We have had no internet all morning and I don’t know how long we will have it now.

Since Tuesday, when we left Miami two hours later than scheduled (no reason given) we have been racing to get to Puerto Plata on time today (11 am).  We have been rocking and rolling since we left Miami.

This morning during breakfast there was an announcement that we would be an hour late because we could not make up the time and all tours would be adjusted.

There was just another announcement that the Port of Puerto Plata has closed due to high winds and that we would not be docking.  So all that rushing to get here for nothing.  Just another day at sea,.

The one nice thing is that we will be docking in San Juan at 7:30 am instead of 1pm as originally planned and will have a nice long day there.  I love San Juan.  I studied Spanish in Puerto Rico back in the 70s and used to go to San Juan for my work on a regular basis.  So we will enjoy the longer stay in port. And I wil get a pair of sunglasses.

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisersfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  I wish you a happy cruise.

Thank you to all who contribute to this thread and make it the positive place that it is.

Prayers for all who are on the cares list and condolences to those who have recently lost loved ones.

Cheers to those who are celebrating and cruising.

@Seasick Sailor hope you are doing better and enjoy your cruise.

Hope all those who have injuries from recent falls are healing.

@rafinmd Good to see that you are trying to be out and about, albeit ever so slowly.  Glad you are making progress.

I am signing off before I get knocked off.

Take care everyone and

God Bless,

Terri

So sorry to hear you're missing your stop in Puerto Plata but great to hear you have a long day in San Juan.  Enjoy it!  Thanks for the good wishes for me, too

33 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Screenshot_20230209-121549.thumb.png.65827addc211498a166575fc8f06f558.png

From 1999: A very special travel memory -- helping my 86 year old mother manage the climb to the top of the Acropolis. She wanted to see the Parthenon in person; not in pictures!

-Melisa

(The full story of her climb is posted on the July 14, 2022's The Daily, page 4, post #98.)

Your mother was amazing to hike up there at age 86!  I want to be like her!

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

@StLouisCruisers Bon Voyage, enjoy your upcoming cruise! 🍾⛴️. No air cleaner in the cabin just those giant fans. Now the have one running in the hall about 12 cabins down from us. 

Thank you Nancy for your Bon Voyage!  I remember sleeping one night in our damp cabin with one of those giant fans running.  It was loud but we didn't need our white noise machine that night.

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a sunny but cold (44F) central Texas.  It was very foggy when I opened the curtains this morning, but by 8:30 the sun had burned off the fog.  There's not much on the agenda today except laundry and a haircut.  

I'll celebrate pizza day, but not the other two.  The only thing to celebrate about a toothache is when the dentist finishes his work and the toothache is gone.  I tried reading tin the bathtub a few times, but found I much prefer showers even if I can't read in the shower.  🤣

Today's quote is just weird, but I hope to see travel in our future.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  I would like to try today's wine.

We have been to Piraeus and Athens several times over the years.  Our first visit was in 2003 on the old Regal Princess where we made it to the Acropolis.  I'll look for my pictures in a few minutes.

@0106  Thank you for the pictures from St. Lucia.

@rafinmd  Roy, I'm glad you are sleeping well and taking if relatively easy.

@cat shepard  Ann, I'm glad the dermatologist did not find anything yesterday, and you can now go six months between check ups.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I hope you get back in your cabin soon, but not before it is safe for you to avoid an asthma attack.

@kochleffel  Paul, I'm sorry you tested positive, and I hope it is a mild case.  I hope the Paxlovid helps with the symptoms.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, as others have said, it can be rough the first day or two heading to Hawaii, and it will be cool those days.  We have sailed to Hawaii from San Francisco, LA and San Diego, and if memory serves me correctly, the further south we were the seas were less rough.  We usually take meclizine which is the main ingredient in Bonine, if it starts getting rough.  We are not prone to sea sickness, but if I want to read in rough seas, I do take meclizine first.  I hope the doctor can at least prescribe a stronger pain reliever than OTC ones.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope your DH doesn't get any surprises at the doctor's appointment today.

@marshhawk  Annie, I'm glad that your DH's eye is feeling better.  I took pictures of DH's back after both surgeries since it was the only way he could see what they looked like.  I decided that even if the zip-tie closures were interesting, I would not share the pictures.  Thanks about the information to call 911 after a fall.

@dfish  Debbie, I've noticed that painting one room leads to finding more and more things to paint.  😁

@kazu  Jacqui, it was good to see you posting this morning.  I'm glad you don't need the cast of the splint, but please be careful.

@Heartgrove  Jack, I'm glad Sue is feeling better and that you got your final Carnival cruise rebooked.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, wishing you and your DH safe travels tomorrow.  Since you have a hotel for tomorrow night,  you can take your time if the weather is rainy.

DH just gave me the sad news that Burt Bacharach died yesterday.  He was 94.

Lenda

So sorry to hear about Burt passing.  He was a wonderful composer and a legend in his field.  Thanks for your good wishes for our trip.  I appreciate your help here while I'm gone.

Roy @rafinmdis right.  This Daily is busy and moving along so fast it's hard to catch up.  I've been doing packing chores and reading here a bit at a time.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

@Seasick Sailor, it sounds like you are taking steps to mitigate potential motion sickness distress on your upcoming Hawaii cruise.  That is prudent.  Anything can happen on the open sea, and it is winter in the northern hemisphere.

My coffee shop buddy is on a Princess Los Angeles-Hawaii cruise right now.  He departed last week.  He reported that the first sea day was very smooth.  Then, the second sea day was rainy with some bumps.  He said that limited his promenade deck walking.  My guess is that the forward portion around the bow was closed off.   Yesterday, their port stop in Maui was cancelled due to high winds.  So, it became an extra sea day,  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

@Seasick Sailorit sounds like you've got all angles covered.  Like you, I'm someone who gets seasick, so always take precautions.  Over the years I've found taking 1/2 of a tablet of Bonine (Meclizine) at night beginning the night before we leave home and continuing throughout the cruise works for me.  I figure if it makes me drowsy, I'm going to bed anyway, and it won't matter.  I also always carry candied ginger in my pocket or purse whenever we travel.

Now, regarding your doctor - would it be possible to go to a walk-in clinic, telling them that you have an issue from a fall, referring them to your results and see what they could recommend?  It sounds like your doctor has terrible bedside manners, or just can't be bothered to deal with you properly.  

On another note, we went to DH's medical appointment and our doctor said just what I did - that DH is aging and his body is showing wear and tear.  It looks like he has arthritis in the first joint of his big toe (the "this little piggy went to market" toe) which is causing him grief.  A suggestion to wear comfortable shoes was made, as well as taking Tylenol to deal with the pain that may occur.  We are thankful it wasn't anything more than that.

Hope everyone has a great afternoon!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, travelnap said:

I enjoy reading a book in the bathtub while eating a pizza, so I am going to enjoy celebrating today.  I have a floating pizza pan, and best of all, you don't need napkins as you can just wash off any spillage from the pizza.  The book pages can get soggy if you are not careful while reading, so remember to get a grip folks.

Wow. I’m impressed. Just add some baked beans to the toppings and you have a jacuzzi tub. 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

Good (late) morning all!

I guess I'm playing the waiting game too.  So far I haven't heard from the doctor.  Granted my test results came in late yesterday, so I'm not surprised.  If I don't hear from her pretty soon I'll call this afternoon.  Meanwhile I'm continuing to guzzle that water...  DSIL said yesterday that one thing they should do is cut out my Metformin because one of my lab results is so low it requires cutting out that drug.  As he said, it's deflating to do everything you should and still get poor results...so I'm bummed today.  A1C and blood pressure are all good, this is just very puzzling to happen  so abruptly.  Thanks for the encouraging posts and Debbie @dfishthat's very encouraging to hear about your dear Dad's experience.

We had pizza just a few days ago so will pass on that, like others I can't imagine celebrating a toothache, and no tub now to read in.  We took it out and extended the shower.  Will pass on the meal, drink and red wine.  We've been to Athens several times and spent several days there before cruises.  I won't post photos as they would be too much like those already posted.  We always like going to that port!

Jacqui @kazugreat news that you're out of the splint and no cast required!  Hurray!

Nancy @ottahand7I hope you're able to return to your own cabin today and even more I hope that the odor is gone.

Paul @kochleffelvery sorry to hear about the positive Covid test. I hope your symptoms are few and mild.

Sandi @StLouisCruiserssafe travels tomorrow and Bon Voyage!!  

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3

@StLouisCruisers

bon-voyage-card-vacation-illustration-headline-flat-mosaic-style-52335720.thumb.jpg.b3084c6469a5462f097540200a4f68b8.jpg

I hope your cruise is fabulous!  Relax, enjoy, and know the Daily is in capable hands.

I decided not to paint today and did laundry instead.  I may head over to Lowe's and get the new light fixture for the dining room.  The one we have now is hung at one end of the dining room leaving the other end in the dark.  And, it looks like a bunch of UFOs hovering over our dinner.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I have a few more pictures from our stops in Athens and Piraeus.  The first one is a church in Piraeus between the cruise terminal and the train station.

DSC01533.thumb.JPG.0ab9919145fb9a00ebcc6742ba95ffed.JPG

In 2016 while on the Prinsendam, we took a tour to the Corinth Canal which included a boat ride through the canal.  The first picture is taken from the bridge over the canal.   On the Amazing Race, the contestants had to bungee jump from the bridge.  In the second picture, the small ship was stuck for a while and our boat circled the bay until the ship was moving again.

DSC08040.thumb.JPG.7df0b82a64b2e635eb01aca008534b04.JPG

DSC08051.thumb.JPG.7631a7f76cacb75585d97220d35bc39c.JPG

DSC08070.thumb.JPG.5f7768d39172e77710dc53fb5801e959.JPG

On our first visit to Athens in 2003, when we were much younger, and fitter, we climbed to the top of the Acropolis.  I know there are similar pictures, but no visit to Athens should leave out pictures of the Acropolis.

IMG_3263.thumb.JPG.9f7f8a4ef0c4fc63deafc48321a04794.JPG

IMG_3269.thumb.JPG.7af7949aeb2f5c2397e8236b5f700d5d.JPG

The ancient theater that has been modernized.

IMG_3250.thumb.JPG.cb2762e0b8bdb252a02ae3b17167567e.JPG

The ruins of another ancient theater

IMG_3282.thumb.JPG.47784ee8e21fffeb3baeaf5e6249c90d.JPG

IMG_3293.thumb.JPG.080a6703e383e1e6a1e48caf75abcb5d.JPG

Those seats do not look very comfortable.  I hope the performances didn't drag on too long.  😀

If anyone has not seen the movie "My Life in Ruins", you might like the movie.  It is set in many places like Delphi, the Acropolis, etc.  It’s a cute movie with a good cast and makes for a fun evening.

Lenda

Excellent selection of photos Lenda.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon,

I am back from my surgery. Left arm is numb which is a weird feeling. Anesthesiologist advised taking the 12 hour morphine at bedtime. He said it will hurt when it wakes up. Surgeon said lots of arthritis so it should feel better once healed. My angel of a niece is taking good care of me. 

Prayers to all on and if the list. Happy sailings to the lucky ones leaving on their next cruise. 

• Like 23